Brazil riots - world cup 2014 in danger?

I think the WC2014 could be in danger. When the people from a country like Brazil don't agree with a WC being played in their nation, and when they detract Pelé as a traitor, it means shit is really serious.

The problem now is that the stadiums are built, and the damage is done. People should have risen 4 years ago when it was decided the WC would go to Brazil.

But no doubt it is an event that is made only to give a $2 billion profit to FIFA and benefit some local politicians (who certainly have their fingers in the pie, seeing how we're talking about Brazil).
The WC2010 in South Africa left the country with a dozen white elephants to be maintained and a huge financial loss to recover from.

As much as I like football, I have to agree that Brazil shouldn't be hosting this WC right now. I think FIFA are like a wave of predators, a cloud of grasshoppers coming into a corn plantation and consuming everything in their path, and leaving some damage behind.

The silver lining about the protests in Brazil is that people are awakening and it certainly opens up a precedent for people to rise up and voice their discontent in the future, because in the past they had been so quiet and subdued.

You have it all wrong.

Jerome Valcke himself said it costs FIFA an inordinate amount of money to stage these tournaments and they do not make any profit out of it.......

And it will also benefit the 'ordinary' (what does this mean ? I hate this term. We are all unique. I can never sample someone elses thoughts of experiences of specific memories) Brazilian.

Does anyone know of a flying pig with wings emoticon ? :P

Here's an interesting article from ESPN on FIFA and World Cups with regards to the local businesses and countries:
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/7359?cc=4716

interesting read, but FIFA really cares not about the countries. It just wants to go to different places, pretend its a huge thing, take the money and move on. If they really cared, they'd pay the tax that they gained from the World Cup (as a minimal effort) to give back to the country and society.

The free stuff is the stuff politicians promise to give us if we vote for him/her. It's called inflation-financed spending and can take different forms, eg. overtly this is obvious- inflate to spend, covertly, and more common in the west, it is inflate to pay back. Either way, it is a tax - tho usually on different people.

I think you might want to read a book on the subject

You have it all wrong.

Jerome Valcke himself said it costs FIFA an inordinate amount of money to stage these tournaments and they do not make any profit out of it.......

And it will also benefit the 'ordinary' (what does this mean ? I hate this term. We are all unique. I can never sample someone elses thoughts of experiences of specific memories) Brazilian.

Does anyone know of a flying pig with wings emoticon ? :P

Oh, ok so you believe in FIFA's Secretary?

I actually can't believe you buy that. How would it be a business in the first place if they don't make any profit? I don't understand such business model.

They don't even pay taxes. The host countries build the stadiums and the biggest chunk of ticket sales go to FIFA. The TV rights cost absurd prices and the audiences are record breaking every 4 years. How could you say they don't make any profits??

They wouldn't be doing it if there wasn't a huge load of money in it. No organisation would do such an event without profiting a lot. For the good of the game my arse.

He's being sarcastic.

He has got to be!

BTW Blatter was pathetic and embarrasing trying to rescue the Brazilian president in the opening ceremony. He was booed just as much for that.

In Brazil people realised how they have been trying to explore the country and its people. Romario said FIFA is a estate inside a estate - and some journalist from The Guardian improved this: they are a parasite looking for estates to rip off every 4 years.

rentboy said:
I think the WC2014 could be in danger. When the people from a country like Brazil don't agree with a WC being played in their nation, and when they detract Pelé as a traitor, it means shit is really serious.
that's not a possibility at this point. if fifa would back off, they would immediately face a plethora of "breach of contract" lawsuits (from ever company, hedge fund, and businessman who signed a contract with them for this wc). that is never gonna happen.
and brasil too can't back off, as, at this point, their financial commitment in this event is too serious to walk away.

rentboy said:
The problem now is that the stadiums are built, and the damage is done. People should have risen 4 years ago when it was decided the WC would go to Brazil.
i don't think that would have been a good idea. infact the timing of this protest is absolutely perfect (and i believe someone put a lot of thought into this). had they done this mess 4 years ago, the world cup circus would have gone some place else and brasil's government would have been free to deal with the protests how they wanted (empty promises or even a military response).
now instead, since both parties (fifa and the government) can't cancel the event (nor move it somewhere else), brazilian protesters have the government by the balls. the mediatic exposure and the pressure from both fifa and every private investor, will force the government to negotiate.... and since the WC is gonna take place in there in just about 1 year, the brazilian governement will have no choice but to keep every promise they're making to the people.... otherwise there's gonna be a second act to this tragedy.... and it's gonna be much more difficult next year to deal with such a situation.
this is leverage... and it's a beautiful thing :D

on a different note, can u imagine how pissed off blatter must be right now?..... watching his beloved "toy" being used as a weapon in a negotiation between the protesters and the government... just thinking about it puts a smile on my face :DD

btw edmundo, bebo and LFCalbania, thanks for the "whose-wich" correction. really appreciate the help, guys. :))

Last edited:
i don't think that would have been a good idea. infact the timing of this protest is absolutely perfect (and i believe someone put a lot of thought into this). had they done this mess 4 years ago, the world cup circus would have gone some place else and brasil's government would have been free to deal with the protests how they wanted (empty promises or even a military response).
now instead, since both parties (fifa and the government) can't cancel the event (nor move it somewhere else), brazilian protesters have the government by the balls. the mediatic exposure and the pressure from both fifa and every private investor, will force the government to negotiate.... and since the WC is gonna take place in there in just about 1 year, the brazilian governement will have no choice but to keep every promise they're making to the people.... otherwise there's gonna be a second act to this tragedy.... and it's gonna be much more difficult next year to deal with such a situation.
this is leverage... and it's a beautiful thing :D

on a different note, can u imagine how pissed off blatter must be right now?..... watching his beloved "toy" being used as a weapon in a negotiation between the protesters and the government... just thinking about it puts a smile on my face :DD

btw edmundo, bebo and LFCalbania, thanks for the "whose-wich" correction. really appreciate the help, guys. :))

I know, the timing of the protests was a thing of beauty. My point is that, if the people truly wanted that money to be invested in better public services, then the time to make some noise was before all the stadiums were built. Of course, the results of that could have been underwhelming.

It's infuriating indeed to watch this government let public services to rot and spend that amount on stadiums, it proves to the people that the money has been there all along to be invested in health care, education and security, but they only dished out big time to prepare for a World Cup and to "look good" to the eyes of the world.

It's a delicate thing to protest during the event, especially in areas so close to where the matches are taking place (yesterday there was a conflict just outside the stadium while Spain and Italy played).
From one side it shows the world our problems and give our people some leverage, as you say, like never before they had. And this is very good.
But on the other hand, every country knows there is a price to host the world cup, and now that there's no turning back, the country should ensure the event happens in the best way possible. It's not about making believe everything is fine and look good to the rest of the world. It's about creating good conditions for foreign fans to come here and enjoy football, some tourism and go about their business unharmed.
I was very upset when I saw footage of a young Japanese couple with their 1 year old baby running confused amidst smoke and tear gas in what seemed like a battlefield.
I think it's very important what happens between this Confederations Cup and the real thing next year. As you said, the people have the government by the balls and they better do good by the people if they want this event to go smooth next year.

It's actually "which", not "wich" :)
crap... i must have written "which" wrong so many times i even forgot there were 2 "h"! thank u so much mate. :TU:
on this topic guys, whenever u see me writing something wrong (whether it's a grammatical mistake or a wrong verb or tense), please, feel free to correct me. i won't mind at all.... infact, i'll be grateful.
i'm gonna be spending some time in the US in the upcoming months, due to work, so i could use some brushing up on my english :))
rentboy said:
I know, the timing of the protests was a thing of beauty. My point is that, if the people truly wanted that money to be invested in better public services, then the time to make some noise was before all the stadiums were built. Of course, the results of that could have been underwhelming.

It's infuriating indeed to watch this government let public services to rot and spend that amount on stadiums, it proves to the people that the money has been there all along to be invested in health care, education and security, but they only dished out big time to prepare for a World Cup and to "look good" to the eyes of the world.....

yep, i certainly undertand what u mean and i couldn't agree more.
however i gotta say, from an outsider perspective, brasil seems to be headed in the right direction. Living on the other side of the planet my only source of intel are media and newspapers, so i can't say i know how things actually go in brasil.... but apparently the bolsa familia program was a huge success (to my surprise), and, although your health care system seems a bit puzzling, i believe things will only get better from now till the olympic games.
afterall, like i said a few days ago, usually welfare reforms need a few years to catch up with the economic boom.

anyway, rentboy and sauce, keep us posted on the situation ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom