Buying a monitor for games - TFT or CRT?

A

Adonis

Hi,

Right, my old crt monitor that I use for gaming has finally given up on me. Ive had it for donkeys years so it was definatly gonna happen soon.

The thing is Im wondering whether to pick up a TFT instead of a CRT. What bothers me is the response times. Ive tried playing my PS2 through my PC TFT monitor and its awful. Loads of ghosting and blurred imagery.

Ive noticed though theres this new thing written beside many TFT monitors. for eg 8ms response time. So im presuming its got better?

What I really wanted to ask was are CRT monitors still the best for gaming or have TFT caught up? Also, I dont see this '8ms response time' beside CRT monitors, is it because it instant for them?

Cheers.

the lower the MS I think the better the Response Time and the less ghosting/shadowing you are likely to see mate. The thing is them monitors tend to be pricey but worth it.

DJ

I actually quite like the look of that and 4ms will be pretty decent I reckon mate.

DJ

djdoc360 said:
I actually quite like the look of that and 4ms will be pretty decent I reckon mate.

DJ

It does, but guess what?

I phoned up the guy and spoke to him for a bit. He told me that he was Getting a 2ms Samsung 19inch TFT monitor in tomorrow, and it would be £274 inc next day p&p!

So I took it! Should have it by Saturday/Monday :)

Mods can now close the thread, we have a happy ending :)

Fantastic! I was about to say mate if you hang on a little while something better would turn up :)

DJ

havent had any probs with ghosting and mines an LG with 12ms. It was the older tft's that had this problem, but then new ones (ive had mine for 2 years now, so they arent that new anymore) dont have the problem. 2ms sounds great though, also apparently tft is better for your eyes then crt.

12ms is still decent enough tiktiktiktik. Christ how many tik's did I have to write lol!

DJ

on that note i was thinking of getting a HDready TV (HDTV), but i am caught up in between a LCD or a Plasma. checked a couple of sites for comparisons in all round "real world performances" and it seems like LCD's are scraping it just about plus its getting cheaper these days :mrgreen:. I really need to know what i will be missing out on if today i go out on ebay and purchase a 32" LCD HDTV (yes i am that rich :p.... joking) instead of a Plasma alternative. thanx in advance for any help :)

EDIT: Actually also how do the above two fair with a CRT HDTV, does anyone know?. thnx again

Last edited:
12ms is still decent enough tiktiktiktik. Christ how many tik's did I have to write lol!

You can jst call me tik if you want :lol:

Was reading a comparison of all the hdtv's availeble (crt/lcd/plasma/rear projection) on cnet. Here's the link:

Code:
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108443-1.html?tag=ms

Found it very informative and gives a clear comparison between the tv's and even subversions of types.

studeep said:
on that note i was thinking of getting a HDready TV (HDTV), but i am caught up in between a LCD or a Plasma. checked a couple of sites for comparisons in all round "real world performances" and it seems like LCD's are scraping it just about plus its getting cheaper these days :mrgreen:. I really need to know what i will be missing out on if today i go out on ebay and purchase a 32" LCD HDTV (yes i am that rich :p.... joking) instead of a Plasma alternative. thanx in advance for any help :)

EDIT: Actually also how do the above two fair with a CRT HDTV, does anyone know?. thnx again
If you want my advice mate Id go for plasma, ive had Rear Projection and Plasma and my mates got an LCD and I think to be honest my LG 42" HD plasma is the best 1 overall.

DJ

jay, depends on size and also on your budget, how much are you looking to spend? my LG 42" HD Plasma cost me £1500 pounds from Currys.co.uk it was more expensive in the Currys Store £1799 they wanted in store.

DJ

djdoc360 said:
If you want my advice mate Id go for plasma, ive had Rear Projection and Plasma and my mates got an LCD and I think to be honest my LG 42" HD plasma is the best 1 overall.

DJ

Cheers mate, for a second i thought no-one was going to help me out :lol:, but ye i'm still kinda shakey after reading loads of reviews on the net, LCD are looking to steal it for me but i'm not still quite sure........ what do you think about the difference between them is it quite marginal or is it something you wont really notice if you aren't a telly expert?

Milanista said:
Anyone know anything about Viewsonic widescreen monitors? Theyre no more than 200 pounds, 20 inches, and have inbuilt speakers.
I bought a normal Viewsonic monitor, a friend of mine bought the widescreen version. We both prefer our own - his makes everyone look fat, which I can't stand after playing Pro Evolution with fat players on a widescreen television for years, whereas mine is just a solid, good quality (the sharpness is incredible) monitor.

Depends on what you use it for, I suppose. Internet etc. is great on it, as I'm sure some of the newer games will be, but the older games just look... Wrong.

I think it does, he doesn't. Looks exactly the same as PES played on a widescreen television to me, i.e. it just doesn't look right... I suppose it depends on your personal view. If you play PES on a widescreen television (without correcting the aspect ratio) and can stand to play it without thinking throughout each match "they look weird" then it'd be great. If you're like myself, it would just drive you potty. Unless you only play newer games which support widescreen resolutions.

Back
Top Bottom