PC Can someone bring me up to speed with PES?

The Doctor76

Premiership
27 February 2009
UK
Man Utd
Hi all.

I haven't posted here for a long time, as I was enjoying Fifa on the PC - prior to that, I was playing PES 4,5,6,2008 while EA fobbed the PC gamers off with recycled PS2 ports. Now, as I'm sure you've heard, EA have seen fit to once again shove the old engine on the PC gamers instead of the new 'Ignite' engine. With that in mind, PES 14 with its brand new 'Fox' engine is becoming more and more appealing.

When I last played PES, my main problem with it was the content; for me at least it is not just about the licences. It is about numerous things - not least, content. Fifa has so many leagues, so the transfer market is as deep as an ocean - you don't have the same players circulating which is inevitable with PES which doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of leagues.

Then there's the ability in Fifa to take a team from League Two (and the Conference, if the rumours about Fifa 14 are true) all the way to the Premiership and CL; you simply cannot do that in PES.

The whole idea of 'The Master League', even the name itself, gives PES' Career Mode a very 'fantasy' feel about it, whereas Fifa's CM feels very much like the real football world.

Lastly, the on pitch gameplay in PES is for me significantly behind that of Fifa. It's very hard to put my finger on just why that is, it's just the way I feel about it. However, I am hoping that with the advent of the all new engine, we will also get all new gameplay. PES 13 isn't a bad game by any means; it's actually quite good. It's just I prefer Fifa for some reason.

All that said and done, I am not prepared to line EA's pockets with £25 - £30 for six years to buy what will basically be the same game (the Xbox 360/PS3 have reached their development ceiling, so any improvements will be extremely minor). I'll give both demos a try as always, but a new engine for PES has to make it the favourite for this year.

But I digress; so anyway, what I want to know is:

How many leagues does PES have now, and if it's still only six, is there a way to add more leagues? Have the modders made quality and realistic leagues?

Are there lower divisions, so a half decent FA Cup is possible?

I've heard from place to place that it's possible to edit and add new stadiums to PES now - is that true? Last time I played PES extensively was PES 2008, and there were various stadium packs available like all Premiership ones; is that available for PES 13?

What do we know about the new 'Fox' engine - and is it confirmed that all formats of PES 14 will get exactly the same engine and the same game?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Why the heck is the PC version still lumped together with the PS2 on this forum?

One other thing - it seems that since PES 2008, Konami have decided to ban away fans from matches; you can only hear the home fans, and that hurts the atmosphere. Was that addressed in PES 13?

How many leagues does PES have now, and if it's still only six, is there a way to add more leagues? Have the modders made quality and realistic leagues?

Are there lower divisions, so a half decent FA Cup is possible?
6 European Leagues: English, Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, Dutch
1 South American League: Brazilian
Then there is the PES League which is replaced by the Bundesliga in most patches and the WE League which acts as a second division.

I've heard from place to place that it's possible to edit and add new stadiums to PES now - is that true? Last time I played PES extensively was PES 2008, and there were various stadium packs available like all Premiership ones; is that available for PES 13?
There is an ingame stadium editor, it doesn't offer many possibilites but you can choose between a number of stands and import your own textures.

What do we know about the new 'Fox' engine - and is it confirmed that all formats of PES 14 will get exactly the same engine and the same game?
https://www.konami-pes2013.com/en/2013/03/kei-masuda-exclusive-qa/

Thanks for your reply. Disappointing to hear there are still only six leagues; I don't understand why they can't just provide unlimited league slots, and let the community go at it! Neither do the guys on the podcast.

Thanks for your reply. Disappointing to hear there are still only six leagues; I don't understand why they can't just provide unlimited league slots, and let the community go at it! Neither do the guys on the podcast.
I think there are no unlimited slots at the moment because of the file organization KONAMI uses. Maybe they are going to change it in the new engine.

I think there are no unlimited slots at the moment because of the file organization KONAMI uses. Maybe they are going to change it in the new engine.

Let's hope so - with unlimited league slots, plus the amazing editing community, PES 14 has the potential to blow Fifa out of the water.

How does PES 13 compare to its demo? The controls in the demo felt a bit strange to me. Also, I can't be doing with that lighting: it's awful! Are there mods that address that?

I mean I was enjoying playing Fifa 13 on PC, but with the news about Fifa 14, I've got no inclination to play it now. Also I noticed that PES is on Steam now - so there's every chance of picking it up on one of Steam's mad cut-price sales!

Both games (pes2013 and Fifa13) are good in different ways. Fifa for the atmosphere/commentary and vast game modes and licenses. Pes for its edibility, gameplay and graphics.

Both games (pes2013 and Fifa13) are good in different ways. Fifa for the atmosphere/commentary and vast game modes and licenses. Pes for its edibility, gameplay and graphics.

Don't forget PES' presentation - Fifa's goal celebrations are absolute garbage: two guys celebrate the goal, while the others run around not knowing what to do, or play 'we are not worthy'. At least in PES, scoring a goal is immensely satisfying, especially a last minute winner.

From what I've seen, PES just seems more alive off the pitch; it's just such a shame it's so limited off the pitch as well. If Konami add unlimited empty league slots, that would go some way to solving that issue.

For licenses, i think it's still the same with AFC CL added to it.

About "limited league" slots, i don't think it's that easy. First, because they doesn't have FM style database system for implementing new leagues in Master League. You know, new leagues means new team, new player, and for ML purposes, good system for match scheduling. They don't have that FM-like system so they decided to limit the slots, simplify the code so they don't have to release a buggy game.

FM with its system releases so many patches to fix bugs related to their databases and system, Konami don't want to waste their limited development time focusing on database added to already buggy gameplay.

For licenses, i think it's still the same with AFC CL added to it.

About "limited league" slots, i don't think it's that easy. First, because they doesn't have FM style database system for implementing new leagues in Master League. You know, new leagues means new team, new player, and for ML purposes, good system for match scheduling. They don't have that FM-like system so they decided to limit the slots, simplify the code so they don't have to release a buggy game.

FM with its system releases so many patches to fix bugs related to their databases and system, Konami don't want to waste their limited development time focusing on database added to already buggy gameplay.

That's fair enough, but don't you think that increasing the content (licenced or not) is Konami's single best way to hit back at EA? If the system they've got now is limiting the game to six leagues, then it's time it was chucked! After all, hasn't the game been like this pretty much since PES first appeared on the PC, or even before that? It's time for a change, if they want to compete more with EA that is.

Konami are never going to compete with EA at grabbing licences, so they need to look at other ways to close the gap. For me, no matter how good the football itself is, it needs to be backed up by a deep football world off the pitch; six leagues just doesn't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom