Canada Thread

Saint Angelo

【AÑUNGA ÑUNGA】
3 August 2019
Dublin atm
YUGOSLAVIA
okay then so!

i got EIC visa for Canada last February but covid took over the world and I just kinda gave up and whatever.

this week however somehow, out of nowhere I managed to more or less arrange a job basically - just a warehouse job (im uneducated trash 🐑 ) but it will do!

I am putting a plan together now, if all goes well I'll be there mid-February.

if there is, by any chance whatsoever, anyone even remotely canadian, can you give me your best:

-groceries shop (like lidl?)
-phone provider
-bank

reckon i'll be able to rent anything more than a room? without canadian references, etc.

any other advice and anecdotes u have = they go in this thread 🐑

i am aiming for Vancouver. If you think it's expensive, check Dublin, and scream in terror as I do every single day.

Regards, 🐑

okay then so!

i got EIC visa for Canada last February but covid took over the world and I just kinda gave up and whatever.

this week however somehow, out of nowhere I managed to more or less arrange a job basically - just a warehouse job (im uneducated trash 🐑 ) but it will do!

I am putting a plan together now, if all goes well I'll be there mid-February.

if there is, by any chance whatsoever, anyone even remotely canadian, can you give me your best:

-groceries shop (like lidl?)
-phone provider
-bank

reckon i'll be able to rent anything more than a room? without canadian references, etc.

any other advice and anecdotes u have = they go in this thread 🐑

i am aiming for Vancouver. If you think it's expensive, check Dublin, and scream in terror as I do every single day.

Regards, 🐑

Good luck mate I haven't lived in Canada for about 6 years but I am looking to move back as I am in the US now work related but I cant speak too much on about Vancouver but being from Ontario I usually went with TD Bank and for groceries it was normally Walmart and Metro but Safeway is popular in Western Canada. And for phone providers probably Telus or Bell is best bet I personally had Bell so I will look to get back with them when I move back but a lot people I know use Telus so you can't go wrong with either one IMO. I wish you well though any thing else I can think of I will post here. :)

Last edited:
I found it got progressively more expensive due to the pound exchange rate. When I first went it was about 2-1 by the time I left about 1.6-1. I was on the East Coast when I lived there so probably quite a bit different. It's a lot quieter there and there are no big cities like Vancouver there. I never went to Vancouver but I did visit Calgary which had a more American feel about it to me than other places I'd been to and I wasn't that keen on it to be honest, but not far from there is Banff. Bit of a tourist hotspot but wow jaw dropping scenery.

IMG_2702.JPG

This lady and her children were spotted on the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper

IMG_2936.JPG

Didn't hang around to introduce myself!

I lived in Calgary for just over a year, and got married in Lake Louise on top of the mountain.

Groceries = I found expensive compared to the UK, cheapest options are probably WallMart but I preferred Real Canadian Superstore.
Phone provider = I found MASSIVELY expensive compared to the UK, so just used whatsapp. As mentioned above, Telus / Bell seem to be the big providers
Bank = never had an account but CIBC was the only bank that consistently worked with UK cards so I always went there

Anecdote = I remember having a beer in downtown Calgary and seeing an outdoors / hiking store across the road. In the window, they had a sale on bear spray...had to ask the folks I was out with whether that was to spray bears with which it was:LMAO:

I found it got progressively more expensive due to the pound exchange rate. When I first went it was about 2-1 by the time I left about 1.6-1. I was on the East Coast when I lived there so probably quite a bit different. It's a lot quieter there and there are no big cities like Vancouver there. I never went to Vancouver but I did visit Calgary which had a more American feel about it to me than other places I'd been to and I wasn't that keen on it to be honest, but not far from there is Banff. Bit of a tourist hotspot but wow jaw dropping scenery.

View attachment 76898

This lady and her children were spotted on the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper

View attachment 76899

Didn't hang around to introduce myself!

I only learned of Banff, Canada last year when a video went viral of a bear going after a motorbike, or something like that. Anyway, I find it hilarious because it's named after Banff, Aberdeenshire, which is best known for the Spotty Bag Shop.

I've only been to the nearby Banff and its Spotty Bag Shop, but I'll put my neck on the block and say the Canadian one is better.

I only learned of Banff, Canada last year when a video went viral of a bear going after a motorbike, or something like that. Anyway, I find it hilarious because it's named after Banff, Aberdeenshire, which is best known for the Spotty Bag Shop.

I've only been to the nearby Banff and its Spotty Bag Shop, but I'll put my neck on the block and say the Canadian one is better.
There's loads of places in Canada that are named after places in the UK. The wifes' auntie, uncle and cousins live in London, Ontario....they even named the river running through it the Thames :D

@Badger Mushroom Talking bears I remember the ranger in the Cape Breton National Park where we camped once telling everyone how to know which bear was chasing you. He said if you climb a tree and it comes after you it's a black bear. If it shakes the tree until you fall out it's a grizzly! :LOL:

The same can be said for Halifax too...

finally!!!

after 3 weeks of wait finally got official confirmation and 100% job basically i am all goodie

moving later this week if all goes well???

man im shitting myself so hard rn 🐑 finally after 2 years of dying in dublin i get to move on!!!!

up the sheep 🐑

Back
Top Bottom