Cancel the Balon'D'Or

ndut92

Premiership
4 April 2020
Bayern
Again this year the the Balon'D'Or has robbed another group of players and more specifically one person that seemed destined to win it , Robert Lewandowski. However, in the past few years it seems that their has been an agenda to keep that trophy from touching the hands of any player outside of Spain and I feel that the award is a complete sham I feel this award is a complete disgrace to football. It is interesting how they cancel it the year when neither Ronaldo nor Messi have amazing campaigns. Anyways, what are your guys thoughts on the matter?

Last edited:
Again this year the the Balon'D'Or has robbed another group of players and more specifically one person that seemed destined to win it , Robert Lewandowski. However, in the past few years it seems that their has been an agenda to keep that trophy from touching the hands of any player outside of Spain and I feel that the award is a complete sham. I feel this award is a complete sham. It is interesting how they cancel it the year when neither Ronaldo nor Messi have amazing campaigns. Anyways, what are your guys thoughts on the matter?
Hello. Can not wrote it better Friend as You did. Well. This season for Robert was fantastic and what it was for Lionel or Cristiano? But hey, who cares about it. Unfortunately.

Hello. Can not wrote it better Friend as You did. Well. This season for Robert was fantastic and what it was for Lionel or Cristiano? But hey, who cares about it. Unfortunately.
They had good years but Lewandowski went above and beyond and did everytbing a person can do. I hope the FIFA Europe Best Player Award isn't cancelled either. As a Bayern fan it isn't the first time FIFA does this one of our players. Kahn, Neuer, Ribery and now Lewandowski. I hope this gives him more drive to be even better and win the treble this year

About Spanish League and their players it could be so like You wrote. Clubs football world is completly not my story but I agree. I hope this year finally Bayern Munich and Robert will win CL in this strange season after so many years. Well. We will see. Hope for that.

It was cancelled as there has been a lot of players who haven't really played.
That diving guy at PSG and Mbappe have not played since Coronavirus started, so unfair on them as they would not be up for the award this year.

There is no Euro's and Champions League is a mess.

Although Lewandowski has had a great season, unless Bayern win the Champions League and he is absolutely pivotal in the win, then he won't win the award.
Also he doesn't play in La Liga, so he is written off before the season starts.

The Ballon D'or is a travesty. Individual trophies don't make sense in a team sport.
I don't need the Ballon D'Or to know that Messi and Ronaldo have been the best players the last 15 years. Yet that they where brilliant is also because players like Modric, Bezema, Xavi and Inieta were int heir team.

THe Ballon D'or will always be about stars. A player like Kevin De Bruyne is for a few years now by far the best midfielder in the world. He will never win the Ballon D'or because he isn't interested in being a star. Paul Pogba is underachieving for years now, if he ever has one good season he will win the Ballon D'Or because he does everything to stand out. Same for Neymar. Pogba , Neymar are only examples, but they prove my point, the Ballon D'Or is a pretty useless trophy.

I agree with all the above but I tell you what, I wish my team had a player who had an under average season and hit 25 goals with 21 assists. :LOL: Given the lack of quality around him now compared to the past and his age as well, I suppose you could argue that was one of his best returns really.

I can't say I've seen hardly anything of him playing this season but on the face of it Immobile's 36 goals is mighty impressive too.

Again this year the the Balon'D'Or has robbed another group of players and more specifically one person that seemed destined to win it , Robert Lewandowski. However, in the past few years it seems that their has been an agenda to keep that trophy from touching the hands of any player outside of Spain and I feel that the award is a complete sham I feel this award is a complete disgrace to football. It is interesting how they cancel it the year when neither Ronaldo nor Messi have amazing campaigns. Anyways, what are your guys thoughts on the matter?
The Balon'D'Or stopped making sense for about 5 years by now. Don't expect the French to give fair awards.

A player like Kevin De Bruyne will never get the Ballon D'Or because he has no star quality (and is not French).
If you look at his stats after 150 EPL matches, he is clearly the best EPL player ever, he is better than Cantona, Henry, Keane, Beckham, Bergkamp...

And now that i'm writing this, who is the last EPL player that won the Ballon D;Or? Has there ever been one?

To answer my own question: Cristiana Ronaldo in 2008 and before him Michael Owen in 2001 (and according to wikipêdia he still played for LIverpool then). And then there is nobody until Best in 1968 (Keegan won it twice when playing for Hamburg).

I'm starting to think that French journalists don't really like English football...

But like i already said, individual trophies in a team sport don't make sense imo.

Last edited:
A player like Kevin De Bruyne will neer get the Bdallon D'Or because he has no star quality (and is not French).
If you look at his stats after 150 EPL matches, he is clearly the best EPL player ever, he is better than Cantona, Henry, Keane, Beckham, Bergkamp...

And now that i'm writing this, who is the last EPL player that won the Ballon D'Or? Has there ever been one?

To answer my own question: Cristiana Ronaldo in 2008 and before him Michael Owen in 2001 (and according to wikipêdia he still played for LIverpool then). And then there is nobody until Best in 1968 (Keegan won it twice when playing for Hamburg).

I'm starting to think that French journalists don't really like English football...

BUt like i already said, individual trophies in a team sport don't make sense imo.

Isn't it very reactionary to say the De Bruyne is the BEST epl player ever, it's not like he's putting up stats we've never seen before. Also, it is already known that France Football are slightly 'biased' against the premier league. They never take into account the difficulty of accumulating insane stats in England and how rigorous the competition is (affecting how English teams perform in Europe). We saw it again this year, the goal tally of the golden boot winner in England (Vardy with 23 goals) was the lowest of all the top 5 leagues. Only reason Ronaldo won in 2008 was because United won the European cup in he had a ridiculous 42 goal season.

However if we're being honest, the reason not many EPL players have won it recently is because of the Messi and Ronaldo dominance and the underperformance of English teams in Europe throughout the 2010s. Also since the ballon d'or merged with the FIFA World Player of the year, it was journalists and national team captains from all over the world that voted for it and not just French journalists

Didn't know that it was merged with FIFA World player of the year.+
Unfortunately, i'm old enough to remember the '70's.
It is odd that not a single player from an English club won the Ballon D'Or then. That was a period English football absolutely dominated EC1 (what is now called the Champions League) with victories for Liverpool (twice), Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest (twice) and Leeds coming close.

About KDB, i'm not the only one who claims he might already be called the best ever player in the EPL. The stats i saw were about goals, assists and passes that resulted in big chances for a goal. He was compared with al lthe other players and he was by ar the best. That is a rather objective way comparing offensive players. This does not take into account the GK's (Schmeichel, the father), and Cech were both fantastic) or the defenders (Ferdinand, Terry, perhaps Kompany, not so sure about him).

And about chauvinism. I'm a Belgian Spurs fan, but i follow English football since the '70's. I really love English football (except the stupid rivalries) and i listen to quite a few podcasts. IMO English journalists are also extremely chauvinistic. The way the y talked about the golden generation, the way they are talking about Jaydon Sancho and Phil Foden (both very talented players, but what have they proven until now?).

The fact that i'm Belgian and that i also support Genk maybe the reason why i think he might be the best ever (although my two favourite players are Vertonghen and Dembele). IMO from what i saw, Eric Cantona might well be the best player in England ever, but KDB comes close.

Last edited:
Didn't know that it was merged with FIFA World player of the year.+
Unfortunately, i'm old enough to remember the '70's.
It is odd that not a single player from an English club won the Ballon D'Or then. That was a period English football absolutely dominated EC1 (what is now called the Champions League) with victories for Liverpool (twice), Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest (twice) and Leeds coming close.

About KDB, i'm not the only one who claims he might already be called the best ever player in the EPL. The stats i saw were about goals, assists and passes that resulted in big chances for a goal. He was compared with al lthe other players and he was by ar the best. That is a rather objective way comparing offensive players. This does not take into account the GK's (Schmeichel, the father), and Cech were both fantastic) or the defenders (Ferdinand, Terry, perhaps Kompany, not so sure about him).

And about chauvinism. I'm a Belgian Spurs fan, but i follow English football since the '70's. I really love English football (except the stupid rivalries) and i listen to quite a few podcasts. IMO English journalists are also extremely chauvinistic. The way the y talked about the golden generation, the way they are talking about Jaydon Sancho and Phil Foden (buit very talented players, but what have they proven until now?).

The fact that i'm Belgian and that i also support Genk maybe the reason why i think he might be the best ever (although my two favourite players are Vertonghen and Dembele). IMO from what i saw, Eric Cantona might well be the best player in England ever, but KDB comes close.

Yes the ballon D'or merged with the Fifa World Player of the year for some time but it is now back to being it's own individual award.

I think that in terms of English journalists being chauvinistic, the English people in general, like Americans are very nationalistic because of their history and the way national pride is imbedded in the history of these 2 nations. It's just part of their culture and also part of what sets them apart. However, I do think that England's golden generation was a truly special, special generation of players. I am very young myself but I have gone back and watched most of the important matches they played and they had world class players and even all time greats in every position. I think with a better coach, England could have won/almost won either Euro 2004 or the World Cup in '06. In fact for Euro 2004 specifically, they could have won it had Rooney not gone of injured against Portugal. In 2004, they had a midfield four of Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes even though Scholes played poorly throughout. Even with Ferdinand suspended, they still had a back four of Cole, Terry, Campbell, and Neville. Then they had a front 2 of Owen and Rooney. I personally think they had the best 11 in the tournament. In 2006, they still had a great team but almost every single player looked like a shell of themselves and I think this comes down to coaching. However. because of all the great players they had, they were still able to hold on with 10 men for 60 minutes against Portugal and only lost on pens. They haven't had an elite team since 2006 though.

Back
Top Bottom