Catholics and Protestants?

Dar said:
People that dont understand the connection between the Irish and Celtic just dont know the history. :)
Well tell me then, that's what the thread was created for! :freak:

It was, and that wasn't to highlight your lack of knowledge, it was more towards the people that think it's to do with the colours the team wear... :roll:

Gareth G said:
the bit in red is why they believe they are irish.Your right it is just something that you were born into and made to believe in.

Edit: I am not wrong, northern ireland is under british rule.

My mistake, you are correct, I guess when you say Northern Ireland you have to exclude the 3 counties that are in Ulster but belong to the Republic of Ireland, even though they are in the "North of Ireland" and the province of Ulster. anyways Gareth, from Cath to Prod here for a moment, what kind of relationship do you have with Catholics there? Do you see them as a human being or do you see them as an enemy? For me it's quite tough, I've never really had to look at it that way as I tend to keep myself out of such conflict although I lived in pretty close proximity to all the troubles for about 20 years. I try to understand what it's like for both sides like I said before, you are just born into a situation. But in saying that people are still people and in the end there has to be a resolution, I think eventually good will always conquer any kind of evil and huge steps already have been made in Ireland and Northern Ireland. But then there are those that just want to carry on the hatred and violence because its too important and constant in their lives to do without. Even here in New York City there are parties from both sides. You see them in the bars all hanging out having their weekly meetings, what they discuss is beyond me, to be honest they are mostly mid-20's Up The Ra shouting A Nation Once Again singin drunkards that sit around and wait for somebody to pick on or impose themselves on, probably because they are angry about something, or maybe they do imagine a free Ireland as a whole nation. The people I do know for the most part are just angry and full of hatred and that's a real shame for as long as that's around progress is hard to make. Me? I'm a proud Irishman, not proud because I'm Catholic or anything political, just proud because of where I come from, my culture, my heritage and what for a small nation we have managed to acheive, but I've come to terms with the fact that my country is occupied, and that's never going to change when there are good people there that have lives and live their lives quite happily as a Protestant. That was never their choice, they were born into it and that's a part of their identity. I respect them as I'd expect them to respect me, as a human being. All I want is some peace, surely that's the most important thing of all?

Dar said:
Yeah Jay you're right, the Celtic/Irish connection is actually quite strong as it was founded and had extremely strong Irish connections from its inception. People that dont understand the connection between the Irish and Celtic just dont know the history. :)

Also Gareth, I think you'll find that in the last few years, the split is very close to 50-50 between Catholics and Protestants in the North, the Protestants dont have much (if any) of a majority anymore.

The land is very much 50-50 and to tell you the truth i talk to catholics everyday and do not have a problem with them, but i disagree with your last statement.

You dont have to agree with it, but it's true. :)

The last article and views I read on the matter, actually predicted a slight Catholic majority in the next census. Whether that comes to fruition or not is yet to be seen, but thats how it's looking.

Your rite dar i don't have to agree with you, But what i say is that Northern ireland has a dark past, and everyone here want's to move on from the day's of the troubles.As i said before i don't care about religion. (a bit of a off topic) Northern ireland international football squad, a few years back we were lucky to get 5,000 people at windsor park, and all of them people were prodestant,in recent times the ground has been filled with people both from both sides through out the country.All i am saying is that i am proud were i caome from and all the people through out northern ireland just want to forget the past.

I'm not quite sure how that has any relevance to anything I posted. Why exactly did you quote me?

I dont have any strong feelings either way towards the situation in the North. I had family members very much involved in the past, but as you say, the past is the past and while I think a thought should be spared for it, you cant live your life by it.

Dar said:
I'm not quite sure how that has any relevance to anything I posted. Why exactly did you quote me?

I dont have any strong feelings either way towards the situation in the North. I had family members very much involved in the past, but as you say, the past is the past and while I think a thought should be spared for it, you cant live your life by it.

I was only saying that you where rite i did'nt have to agreee with you. and the last bit i totally agree with.

Celtic was set up by Irish (catholic) immigrants that travelled to Glasgow. Rangers was the other club, and as there was resentment at the time, Rangers sort of became the Protestant club (of which Scotland was predominatly Protestant)

A simplified view on it :D

No matter what the IRA think or do, there are slightly more protestants in Norn Ireland, than Catholics, and the vast majority of them want to be considered British. Tough shit.

Peter Eyres said:
Celtic was set up by Irish (catholic) immigrants that travelled to Glasgow. Rangers was the other club, and as there was resentment at the time, Rangers sort of became the Protestant club (of which Scotland was predominatly Protestant)

A simplified view on it :D

No matter what the IRA think or do, there are slightly more protestants in Norn Ireland, than Catholics, and the vast majority of them want to be considered British. Tough shit.

All catholics in Northern ireland want to be considered irish,but they were born in a country under british rule so there british.And well said peter eyres you are right.

Rangers became mainly a Protestant club after an influx of Northern Irish shipyard workers came to Glasgow in the 50's to work on the Clyde. Naturally, they adopted Rangers as their team as they were Celtic's (the club set up to help the poor Irish Catholic community) biggest rival.

An unwritten signing policy was held at Rangers whereby Catholics were rarely signed - although some were it should be pointed out - until the high profile arrival of Mo Johnston in 1989. Signed by Graeme Souness and being a former Celtic player, he went onto become a Rangers great. Celtic fans hate him to this day for crossing the divide.

Though both clubs field both Protestant and Catholic players these days, the sectarian songs remain. Rangers fans sing about The Battle of the Boyne whereas Celtic fans sing The Soldier Song and glorify the IRA. It should be said though that these fans are in the minority and usually consist of neds/chavs.

In conclusion, it's all the Irish's fault. :mryellow:

foxtrot said:
Rangers became mainly a Protestant club after an influx of Northern Irish shipyard workers came to Glasgow in the 50's to work on the Clyde. Naturally, they adopted Rangers as their team as they were Celtic's (the club set up to help the poor Irish Catholic community) biggest rival.

An unwritten signing policy was held at Rangers whereby Catholics were rarely signed - although some were it should be pointed out - until the high profile arrival of Mo Johnston in 1989. Signed by Graeme Souness and being a former Celtic player, he went onto become a Rangers great. Celtic fans hate him to this day for crossing the divide.

Though both clubs field both Protestant and Catholic players these days, the sectarian songs remain. Rangers fans sing about The Battle of the Boyne whereas Celtic fans sing The Soldier Song and glorify the IRA. It should be said though that these fans are in the minority and usually consist of neds/chavs.

In conclusion, it's all the Irish's fault. :mryellow:

You learn something new everyday, and foxtrot were british:lol: not irish.

Gareth - Do you ever listen to any rebel songs? You should listen to Men Behind The Wire or The Auld Triangle, they really are quite comical. Sometimes I wonder what the hell they are singing about and how it's tied at all to the whole agenda. "the Auld Triangle, went Jingle Jangle..." hahaha so what who gives a fuck.

Dermot said:
Gareth - Do you ever listen to any rebel songs? You should listen to Men Behind The Wire or The Auld Triangle, they really are quite comical. Sometimes I wonder what the hell they are singing about and how it's tied at all to the whole agenda. "the Auld Triangle, went Jingle Jangle..." hahaha so what who gives a fuck.

:| no dermot i don't listen to rebel songs:lol:

Due to totally irrelevant circumstances I passed the Auld Triangle pub on Dorset Street about 5 times last Thursday and Sunday.

That is all.

Catholics and Protestants? never heard of this... interesting read

rebel songs sounds crazy I went to an Irish wedding in N.Y. and some guy sang" Oh!Daddy`s Boy"....and everybody was crying hell I even cried and I don`t know daddy`s boy.

When I think of Irish I think of Celtics FC & Boston Celtics & Lucky Charms cereal and Movie villains

Yeah Jay you're right, the Celtic/Irish connection is actually quite strong as it was founded and had extremely strong Irish connections from its inception. People that dont understand the connection between the Irish and Celtic just dont know the history. :)

Also Gareth, I think you'll find that in the last few years, the split is very close to 50-50 between Catholics and Protestants in the North, the Protestants dont have much (if any) of a majority anymore.

why do all the catholics from here support celtic and not as many protestants support rangers?? simple id say. after belfast celtic went out of business who can any catholic support here? cliftonville?? donegal celtic ?? lol. all their local teams are shite and because they are shite the glory hunter support celtic. whereas all the most successful teams on the whole island or ireland not just northern ireland are protestant.

and in reply to someones comment earlier about a riot after celtic - rangers games. they only happen when celtic lose.

Im a Rangers fan + a Protestant... and from what I believe, most Northern Irish are protestant whereas the Rep. of Ireland are catholic-they have battled for ages in Ireland... now as far as it comes into the Old Firm, Celtic is an Irish team-the man who started them was from Ireland. So it tends to bethat Protestants in Scotland support Rangers whereas a lot of catholics support Celtic. However it gets way out of proportion when the IRA/UVF etc start getting mentioned...I know a few Celtic fans who never shut up about the IRA and same with some Rangers fans and the UVF... it gets really complicated.

If it wasn't religion it would be something else. Land, Money, Survival. Animals fight each other all the time, and they don't have religion.

Fact of the matter is, religion created the moral code that atheists believe people can abide by without religion. The irony.

Fact of the matter is, religion created the moral code that atheists believe people can abide by without religion. The irony.
The argument that atheists have no morals is absolute rubbish. Its a pathetic statement that has no foundation.

listen guys to be honest i find this funny , im a catholic and yes i know im irish, why? simply because i was born in the northern part of the island of ireland ....Simple...that would make me an irishman ...right?....:roll:

listen guys to be honest i find this funny , im a catholic and yes i know im irish, why? simply because i was born in the northern part of the island of ireland ....Simple...that would make me an irishman ...right?....:roll:

But the northern part of IRELAND, which is northern ireland is part of the uk, so if you were born in northern ireland you are british not irish,you say your irish so being irish and saying your irish is to different things....so you are not right.

HAHA!! One of the first posts in a few years that's actually made me laugh out loud.

There's times when your humour grates Dermot, but that was absolutely brilliant. Take a bow.

I will refrain from putting my own views in this thread cos I will no doubt be banned, 95% of my family are from Ireland so I have had this rammed down my throat since I was able to talk (and sing lol)

Not sure if it interests you but there is a brilliant film called "the wind that shakes the barley" (this film should be shown in history classes across england) by no means will it cover everything you want to know infact it wont even scratch the surface but it is a start.

Back
Top Bottom