Catholics and Protestants?

The whole issue in Northern Ireland is all to do with Unionist + Nationalist. It just so happens that Unionists are in the whole Protestant and Nationalists are Catholic. I am from NI and have always lived here. The problem is that Nationalists/Catholics want to be part of the RoI and have no association with the UK. Unionists want things to stay as they are and the SDLP want a happy medium :lol:

My point is the problems in Northern Ireland will never be settled, and thus in my opinion things should be left as they are.

If we join the RoI there will be violence and discontent + the whole island of Ireland will be disconnected with the UK, which they will not like.

If we remain part of the UK as it stands at the minute we will continue to argue but theres little violence at the minute and things seem to be calming down so we should stay this way (for the time being anyway)

The third option which is complete crap is for NI to be its own independent country with no influenece from RoI or the UK. With people like Paisly + Adams this would NEVER work.

I say for the minute keep things the way they are. Relatively peaceful and rainy!!

I will refrain from putting my own views in this thread cos I will no doubt be banned, 95% of my family are from Ireland so I have had this rammed down my throat since I was able to talk (and sing lol)

Not sure if it interests you but there is a brilliant film called "the wind that shakes the barley" (this film should be shown in history classes across england) by no means will it cover everything you want to know infact it wont even scratch the surface but it is a start.
Cheers for that recommendation, I will look that up. I feel absolutely stupid, knowing that these issues were so close to home and yet knowing nothing at all about them - but at least I'm trying to learn.

the thing is, there is only a very, very, very, very small minority of people who are intent on stirring shit...

the rest, ie. 95% of us, couldn't give a shit what happens - we are happy to just plod along the way we are, because we know no different.

most catholics are happy to stay part of the uk, because they have a good life and it is getting better. certainly, the republic wouldn't be able to offer them the same standard of living as the uk does so they are content to carry on the way they are. likewise, most protestants are content with the way their lives are.

as a result, the tiny minority who are trying to drag northern ireland towards a united ireland will not succeed because most of the people who they think they are doing a favour to would rather they didn't! if they did succeed, the problem would just flair up again, only with everthing in reverse (swap republican terrorist for loyalist terrorists and swap bombing england for bombing ireland) and it would probably be 10 times worse cos the proddies tend to be crazier!

sure, there is segregation, but that is slowly being knocked down. my son goes to an integrated school because that is the future. people need to venture outside the ghettos and integrate, instead of hiding in the shadows - but it will probably take another 30 years...

Last edited:
the thing is, there is only a very, very, very, very small minority of people who are intent on stirring shit...

the rest, ie. 95% of us, couldn't give a shit what happens - we are happy to just plod along the way we are, because we know no different.
:applause: you are rite there.

10 times worse cos the proddies tend to be crazier!
Not sure about this comment:lol:

why are there no Hispanics in Ireland? maybe they should sell rice-n-beans at the Marketa I want to visit Dog Town area

I guess for you Portugese is the closes to a hispanic eh? Prodigy and catholics look the same or does one wear a hat w/ blue

I like to know encase I go to Maddogg I want to fit in maybe my skin color might jeopardize the logic ...not many tanning salons

To an earlier reply.

Actually any person born in Northern Ireland before 2005 has the right to claim an irish citizenship, so when someone says they are irish and born in ni before 2005 they are not lying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_citizen#Honorary_grant_of_Irish_citizenship

nationalist people in northern ireland born before 2005 and after 2005, for years will always say there irish even in the futher, gerry adams a nationalist polition, was born in northern ireland, but he has a irish passport. t

here was actually a thing a few years back that people who was born in northern ireland, where picking to play for ireland, but the rule has changed(i think)

also another story i heard(not sure if it is alrite) but liam lawrence, was born in england, but had family from bangor(northern ireland) but he decided to play for ireland, but i think he has only been called up once for them.

I guess for you Portugese is the closes to a hispanic eh? Prodigy and catholics look the same or does one wear a hat w/ blue

:lmao: no, there is no difference in us were all the same, there are no difference between us, the only thing is that protestants wear rangers and northern ireland shirts. where as nationalists/catholics wear celtic and ireland shirts.now both sides also wear different football shirts, but catholics would not wear england shirts and protestants would :lmao: proidify i think you mean protestants:lol:

:lmao: no, there is no difference in us were all the same, there are no difference between us, the only thing is that protestants wear rangers and northern ireland shirts. where as nationalists/catholics wear celtic and ireland shirts.now both sides also wear different football shirts, but catholics would not wear england shirts and protestants would :lmao: proidify i think you mean protestants:lol:

lol thats were your wrong, im a catholic nationalist who has been a regular at windsor park since before espana 82, im from the northern part of ireland , so i support northern ireland ...simple

as i should of said in my post above, some protestants wear celtic tops aswell and i have seen one or two nationalists wear rangers top. and as you say about northern ireland, there is more returning to watch them. there are numerous reason's why and i'm sure i don't have to explain them all. i.e better results and nomore secterian singing.

were not talking about secterianism in football:| and i would'nt realy say cliftonville, do you watch irish league football?

yev to see guys...the religios conflict came much later when n.i. was grounded....1st of all there was the battle betwen the irish n the british settlers in n.i. main part of the british guys were protestant n every republican was catholic.in history the protestant in n.i. get hte better jobs n so on. so the catholics begann to rebell.so many say it was a fight between the religions. but today its a conflict between the cultures, between people from the uk n people from roi. i know enough catholics who want to stay in the uk...but i know as well enough protestant people who wants to see N.I. n RoI united coz they were born in that country (IT'S 1 island nd we all r brothers in that way)n think it should be 1 country n keep the secrit. shit out of all.

i mean im a republican,im a catholic nd im voting Sínn Feín. but that doesnt matter coz im not that sort of guys who wants to kill all those british "bastards","huns" ot what else they'r called. i just want to live in a country without that fukin bullshit of a religious conflict. its not a conflict between the religions like the crusaders had in 1300 or what else between the christs n moslems.in main point catholics n protestants have the same belief.the only differnet is we(catholics) say the pope is ok...the protestants dont.so if now somebody cames n say "ehhh im protestant n evrything ye'r thinkin is fukin wrong,the fight in N.I is based on the beliefs of the people". evryone who says that can stick his fukin finger up his arse.

its a conflict between the political beliefs n not the religious.

in N.I its a conflict based on the individual thinkings of unionists n republicans how they would like to live.its a political problem so keep the religious shit out of all.

to celtic:rangers......its just coz celtic was grounded by irish immigrants.....n rangers r the unionist in that derby....so its a potical theme on the british isles.....like in N.I betwen irish republicans nd british unionists

cheers all
tiocfaidh ar la

Last edited by a moderator:
I just discovered this thread while looking for something else.
I'm frankly quite amazed at the ignorance of the facts not least by those who claim to be Irish and British or both.

I don't see mentioned anywhere that Northern Ireland is now recognised by the Republic of Ireland as a legitimate state.
This was voted for by by ALL the people in the island of Ireland (32 counties)as part of the "Good Friday Agreement" and was passed with a majority of 71% For 29% against.

Also as part of this agreement All N.Ireland citizens have dual- nationality.

It appears then, that as with many in Ireland , Britain and America the political developments in Northern Ireland over the last 20 years have completely bypassed most of the authors of the posts in this thread.

.... but then again... wasn't there a Japanese soldier who didn't realise the second world war was over until 30 years after?

Spunk of MJ, I think you should watch The Wind That Shakes The Barley, this would be a film I think you would really enjoy. It's about how the irish and the brits got on really well back in the 1920's, they were like brothers, real tight.

windthatshakes2.JPG

barley_shooting.jpg

chimage.php

story.jpg

Last edited:
Spunk of MJ, I think you should watch The Wind That Shakes The Barley, this would be a film I think you would really enjoy. It's about how the irish and the brits got on really well back in the 1920's, they were like brothers, real tight.

gg, i don't really know where you picked up the impression that i am anti-catholic.

my son is one.

btw, i loved the commitments :lol:

Hahaha, Gareth G, when Spunk of MJ said "GG", that's Dermot's old username, he wasn't referring to you. :lol:

MJ - Let me pop this bubble for you here right now, you are anti something, I just can't figure it out yet but when I do i will let you know.

Back
Top Bottom