Celtic fans honour the late Miklos Feher

airjoca

International
29 July 2003
Amadora, Portugal
SL Benfica
I posted this on the Celtic thread, but it is so meaningful that it deserves it's own thread i think:

Just saw this on a Portuguese forum. A banner to honor the late Miklos Feher that the Jungle Bhoys are planning to bring to Estadio da Luz:

miklosshirt9eq1.jpg

From original topic:
Miklos Feher Tribute Banner
« Thread Started on Yesterday at 12:51am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A massive thanks to everyone who contributed to the Miklos Feher Tribute Banner which will be unveiled at next week's match in Lisbon in honour of the young Benfica player who died in such tragic circumstances.

In less than three days the magnificent sum of £838 was raised by the whole Celtic family after the idea was first brought to our attention by TheDublinBhoy who had saw it raised by DubCelt on the Celtic Minded Forum.

DubCelt suggested that we or anyone else take the idea up and we were only too happy to play our part in ensuring the Celtic support could reach out towards fellow football fans and offer a genuine, heartfelt and compassionate gesture of support.

This is not a Jungle Bhoys banner, this is a joint effort by the Celtic family and we would like to thank in particular www.CelticMinded.com, DubCelt, TheDublinBhoy, Marist72 who designed the banner, Badgeman who helped with the design and Lennonsghirl who administered the paypal account.

The banner will be digitally printed and will be 8 metres square. After the match we will donate it to the Benfica support so that they can use it in their own commemorations

If anyone would still like to donate towards the fund it will remain open up until the day of the match and all remaining proceeds will be delivered to a hospital in Lisbon.

Miklos Feher
You'll Never Walk Alone

If they do that there'll be a lot of Benfica fans with tears on their eyes and i think Celtic will have Portuguese fans forever.

This is what football should always be about :)

A bit more on it from Celtic's official site:

Celticfc.net said:
A group of Celtic supporters will make a moving tribute at next Wednesday's UEFA Champions League match in Lisbon to Miklos Feher, a Benfica player who died on the pitch during a match two years ago.

Hungarian-born Miklos Feher died in January 2004 after suffering a heart attack during a Benfica game against Vitoria Guimares. His tragic and untimely death stunned everyone connect with Benfica and the club retired the No.29 jersey in his honour. There is also a bronze bust of the player which stands at the entrance to Benfica's stadium.

Now Celtic supporters will deliver their own tribute to the player when they unveil an eight-metre banner at next week's UEFA Champions League match against Benfica at the Estadio da Luz in memory of the player who died in such tragic circumstances.

Reading ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ in Portuguese, the banner will be displayed during the match by the Celtic support. It will then be gifted to the Benfica support for use at their home matches.

The group of fans have raised the money themselves to fund the production of this banner and additional money raised will be donated to a local Lisbon hospital.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: "This is a fantastic gesture by our fans and one which typifies the Celtic support – a support which is simply second to none.

“The conduct of Celtic fans in Europe has already been recognised by UEFA and FIFA in presenting supporters with two Fair Play Awards.

"This initiative is just another example of the positive spirit and camaraderie which our fans have enjoyed with other clubs within Europe. We applaud our fans for making this genuine heartfelt gesture of support towards fellow football fans.”

Celtic fans are among the best in the world...congratulations.
Great...

Placebo said:
Splendid gesture indeed, any link between the clubs or the player or was it simply some magnanimous gesture a Celtic fan dreamed up?

Think it was all Celtic fans to begin with. There were links to get "You'll Never Walk Alone" translated to Portuguese correctly.

I guess i'll be a Celtic supporter for life after next wednesday. Too bad they use those ugly colours (Sporting's colours). :)

it is a great jesture from the celtic fans and that's hard to say when i support rangers:applause:

airjoca said:
Think it was all Celtic fans to begin with. There were links to get "You'll Never Walk Alone" translated to Portuguese correctly.

I guess i'll be a Celtic supporter for life after next wednesday. Too bad they use those ugly colours (Sporting's colours). :)

Not another one:lol:

Wow, that's pretty incredible. Football fans should run the world...

Puts all of the opinions on a computer game into perspective, really.

What an incredible gesture from the Celtic fans. I will most likely cry when I see that banner in the stadium...

And, like Airjoca, I will support Celtic and really respect their fantastic supporters for ever, after this.

Probably, the most beautiful thing that happened in football that I can remember of.

Gareth G, it says at the top of the thread:

Celticfc.net said:
Hungarian-born Miklos Feher died in January 2004 after suffering a heart attack during a Benfica game against Vitoria Guimares. His tragic and untimely death stunned everyone connect with Benfica and the club retired the No.29 jersey in his honour. There is also a bronze bust of the player which stands at the entrance to Benfica's stadium.

Liverpool, and Celtic supporters will be always the #1 IN and OUTside in the world of football.

I remember reading that unfortunate news on here at the time.

Well done the JB's for the lovely gesture. :applause:

FD

bazji said:
once again the hoops supporters are second to none hail hail to every tim in the land
:roll: It's a great jesture but i don't know about hailing every tim(Catholic) in the land. there not all celtic supporters you know.

Back
Top Bottom