Civilization: Revolution

Re: Civilization: Revolution for Xbox 360/PS3

Excellent, hope to have a few games against you, and any other PS3 Civ fans :)

Really liked the demo, very addictive. Would love to try some online rounds, are you guys playing it on 360 or PS3?

I'm on PS3 - hopefully they'll give us mouse/keyboard support on this version (though the game is very very easy to navigate so its not a big problem if they don't)

Ive not read up on the online side but when I've played the games before they've lasted HOURS. Have they done anything to online to avoid 3 day long games?

I'm on PS3 - hopefully they'll give us mouse/keyboard support on this version
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Keep the elite bastards who've been using a mouse and keyboard in FPS games for 15 years on the PC, and off our consoles.

It shouldn't make any difference as its turn based stuff?

Unless online is just a free for all then id probably say keep everyone on a level playing field or allow us to search for gamers with or without keyboard/mouse like they did on Unreal Tournament 3

For some reason I thought this was the Battlefield thread, not with it at all lately. Sorry. :eh:

Just read that this game has a feature where it checks the date and time and each week the play now maps change.

I'm guessing this will be the 'game of the week' and that we will all be on the same maps and maybe they'll have leaderboards showing who completed the map the fastest or who found the artifacts first etc

Not going to be able to afford this until the end of the month, gutted :(

Was gutted when the demo ended lol. I have to buy this...

have you tried the new demo map? im sure the ai has been set to kill because i keep getting attacked from everyone

Just realised that the football is on nearly every night until the end of the month anyway, so no point in me buying Civ just yet :) A good reason not to completely skint myself :D

Can online multiplayer games be saved? I'd love to have some games against PS3 players but don't fancy having to sit there for hours without a break.

all ive read about online is if you quit then the ai will take over so everyone elses games don't end

By the sounds of that it seems you can't save the game then :(

Yeah the play now map changes each week and so has the demos map

Oooh I'll have to tell the wife, she might not have known, she's already completed the demo about 15 times and is getting antsy for the full thing :)

By the way a new PC version (seems to be an update) is on the way:

2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today that Sid Meier’s Civilization IV: Colonization™ , the next offering in the award-winning Civilization IV® universe, is currently in development at 2K’s world-renowned Firaxis Games development studio. Conceived from the ground up to take advantage of the Civilization IV engine, Colonization will be available fall 2008 exclusively for Games for Windows®.

“We’ve received many requests from fans over the years to bring back Colonization and now seemed to be the perfect time to do that,” said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. “The Civilization IV engine provided a fantastic foundation for a new Colonization experience and allowed us to create something great for both new players and long time fans of the game.”

In Colonization , players lead one of four European nations on a quest to conquer and rule the New World. Players will be challenged to guide their people from the oppressive motherland, discover the New World, and negotiate, trade and fight with both the natives and other nations as they acquire power and fight for freedom and independence.

Nah, it's a standalone version.

A new expansion for highly addictive turn-based strategy title Civilization IV is on the way.

It's titled Civilization IV: Colonization and it's based, funnily enough, on 1994's Sid Meier's Colonization. You can expect a new interface, enhanced options for diplomacy, a new modding toolset and, should think so too, better graphics.

Playing as one of four European nations, you're on a mission to dominate the New World. This will involve battling the locals in various regions as well as fighting fellow colonialists.

Civilization IV: Colonization will work as a standalone game, meaning you won't need to own a copy of Civ IV to run it. The game is out this autumn.

Colonization was a brilliant game, shame my laptop graphics card is so shit it can't play Civ IV :( It apparantly runs but not very fast. I suppose it's a turn-based game so speed isn't an issue I guess :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm the Eurogamer seems to indicate that diplomacy and economy is well scaled down in Rev and is all but absent. I always prefered to play by winning through culture etc instead of amassing massive armies.

This quote sums it up, exactly what I play like:

Me, I tend to be a pacifist in these things. Given the choice, I'd rather head to a quiet corner of the planet, get my head down and build an empire off my own back - not by greedily seizing land and coin from others. Civ Rev thus takes some getting used to. It's simply not possible to play it like that. This is inescapably a competitive game - one in which you're nose-to-nose with your rivals at all times. If you're doing well, your rival nations - each as determined to rule this tile-based world as you are - will constantly threaten you with annihilation if you don't relinquish your treasures.

Might stick to Civ IV instead.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=149085

Shit - I prefer... no make that I ONLY play Civ like you do and the reviewer does. Seems kinda like they've upped the violence level to appeal to console gamers because the pc gaming world all know console gamers are just blood thirsty rednecks.

I guess i probably could still play my style - In the demo I've been threatened loads but I've just built my city up a little and then stuffed as many armies into them as possible and I've yet to lose a city.

They can threaten me as much as they like the useless shits

It's really quite sad that developers feel the need to take a game that's hugely successful and popular on PC, then move it to the console and change the intrinsic elements that make the game so successful and popular.......

Yeah, it does seem that they always try to cater for a different crowd when games move to consoles.

I've never been one for the fighting aspect of Civ so I might wait for this to come down to £10 or something.

Until then, I managed to get Civ IV, Warlords and Beyond The Sword last night so I'll get my Civ fix there, without the violence :SMOKIN:

Oh, and I'll definately pick it up for my DS. Portable Civ :coolpink:

Last edited by a moderator:

You know... this could just really mean that the AI is good enough to see you're trying to win through non violent means and that's why they attack you more?

Surely in a human vs human online game, everyone will see the best city as the main target - and maybe thats all the ai here is doing. If you go for the technological win then they'll attack you to stop that.

So they've not say dumbed down to ai so they're blood thirsty freaks - but they've made the ai more aware of doing what it takes for THEM to win. I think if the game did allow you to play and win as the eurogamer quote says - then people would complain how the AI fails to acknowledge your existence and they only fight amongst themselves.

-

I guess the only way we'll know is this friday or thursday when people start playing and can report

Did anyone play Rise Of Nations? Everyone is saying that's a quality game and I never played it ...

You know... this could just really mean that the AI is good enough to see you're trying to win through non violent means and that's why they attack you more?

Surely in a human vs human online game, everyone will see the best city as the main target - and maybe thats all the ai here is doing. If you go for the technological win then they'll attack you to stop that.

So they've not say dumbed down to ai so they're blood thirsty freaks - but they've made the ai more aware of doing what it takes for THEM to win. I think if the game did allow you to play and win as the eurogamer quote says - then people would complain how the AI fails to acknowledge your existence and they only fight amongst themselves.

-

I guess the only way we'll know is this friday or thursday when people start playing and can report

Apparantly there's no AI diplomacy and a tiny tech tree. Reduced tech tree is very disappointing for me, I love researching and "unlocking" new techs.

Back
Top Bottom