Civilization: Revolution

embraceuk1

Original Member Since 2001
30 December 2001
Indiana USA (Scottish)
Nottingham Forest
2K Announces Civilization Revolution
Groundbreaking PC series coming to home consoles next Spring.
posted by Alexis Dunham
June 28, 2007 - 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today that it will publish Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution, the first next generation game designed by world famous game designer Sid Meier. Slated for a spring 2008 release for next generation consoles and handhelds, Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is being developed by Firaxis Games, 2K's world-renowned development studio.

Sid Meier put computer gaming on the map when he delivered Civilization to the gaming world, launching the "God Game" genre and creating one of the most award-winning and addictive strategy series of all time, including Sid Meier's Civilization IV, the Gamespy and GameSpot 2005 Game of the Year. Driven by sheer passion for the game concept, Meier is now handcrafting a brand-new Civilization experience designed and built from scratch for next gen consoles and handhelds.

"Civilization Revolution is the game I've always wanted to make!" said Sid Meier, Director of Creative Development at Firaxis Games. "We are excited to take advantage of the power of next generation consoles and the ingenuity of handhelds, to create a great and unique strategy game for newcomers to the series, as well as the millions of fans around the world who enjoy Civilization on the PC."

In Civilization, players strive to become ruler of the world by establishing and leading a civilization from the dawn of man into the space age - waging war, conducting diplomacy, discovering technologies, going head-to-head with some of history's greatest leaders, and building the most powerful empire the world has ever known.

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution is a watershed game, offering players a chance to experience the epic empire-building world of Civilization in an all new accessible, visually immersive, and action-packed world specifically designed for the console and handheld gamer. Delivering Civilization's renowned epic single-player campaigns featuring vast re-playability and unmatched addictive gameplay as well as revolutionary features like real-time interaction with leaders and advisors, extensive multiplayer capabilities and integrated video and voice chat, it will completely transport the Civilization series to a level of gameplay that fans have never seen before.

"Civilization is one of the world's top selling PC game series with more than 8 million units sold, and continues to be recognized as one of the greatest franchises ever created," said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. "We are excited to have Sid Meier getting back to his roots as the game's Lead Designer to carry on its legacy with Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution."

Some of the key features that will resonate with fans of strategy games and the Civilization franchise include 16 civilizations to master and lead to victory, an array of famous historical leaders to play as or compete against, and accessible maps and streamlined time scale for quicker games, intense combat, and constant action. In online multiplayer mode, players will compete for world conquest and glory among their peers as they battle in teams, head-to-head or epic free-for-all matches. In addition, auto-matching, ranked games, leaderboards, achievements, downloadable extra content and integrated video and voice chat make the online play more versatile and fun than any previous version of Civilization and will allow players to see where they stand against the competition. Finally, the position of ruler of the world can be settled online.
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution will be released in spring 2008 for next generation consoles and handhelds. For more information please visit http://www.civilization.com/.

About Sid Meier's Civilization Franchise
Created by industry legend Sid Meier in 1991, Civilization instantly set the standard and defined a new genre of empire-building strategy games. An addictive blend of building, exploration, discovery and conquest, the original Civilization is still recognized as one of the greatest games of all time and is considered the father of the "God-Game" genre. Civilization IV was named 2005's PC Game of the Year and is also one of the most acclaimed games of all time.

Linkage:http://games.ign.com/articles/800/800543p1.html

Re: Civilization: Revolution for Xbox 360/PS3

I've seen the trailer. I'm a huge fan of civilization. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Good news, but wouldn't most people who know Civ have a PC anyway, and be playing it on their PC?

E3 Civilizations First Impressions

Sid Meier didn't just put his name at the top of this game, he's actually involved, and the producers made sure to point that out. Civilization Revolution has had a rough time with the hardcore Civ players who mock it for being cartoonish and the simple fact that it's designed for consoles. It's a legitimate Civilization game with a more playful and cartoony feel. The producers who showed the game said this is a Civ Sid Meier really wanted to make.

They say it's a mash-up of a bunch of different Civilizations, the best elements brought together for a new game. It's not Civilization 5 and they're quite clear to point out it isn't Civilization Lite. It's just different. The character models are playful looking and upgrade over battle. The interface is completely streamlined and every major event is represented by a full character model animations. The map we saw was very small and packed with cute animations. The whole game seems streamlined for consoles but they say a regular game should last three hours.

There are four ways to win the game which are standard for Civ players (Space Race, Military, Economic and Culture). When you win all your troops dance (big butch medics do a conga) and even the battleships do a little dance while shooting off canons. The game seems very different but familiar to any Civ player. It looks to be another version of the well known franchise trying to open up the game to players who want a strategy game, but don't want the implied weight that the PC version of Civ brings. The game will be out spring of 2008.

I despise all forms of strategy games, but my wife loves the Civ series and Caesar and such, she plays them in bed on the tablet whilst I lay next to her playing Fifa on the 360, such a happy marriage ;)

Last edited:

I despise all forms of strategy games, but my wife loves the Civ series and Caesar and such, she plays them in bed on the tablet whilst I lay next to her playing Fifa on the 360, such a happy marriage ;)

does she make you wait till she is done with a certain year before you can shag her?

I can tell when she's been playing too much Caesar, she rates my performance.....

"Nataska considers your performance to be, mediocre" :(

The Civilization Revolution Starts In June

Civilization's first original foray onto consoles is just a few short month's away, as 2K Games announces the official release date for Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution. Beginning June 3rd, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Nintendo DS owners will finally get a taste of what PC gamers have been going crazy about for over 17 years. Designed from the ground up with consoles in mind, Revolution promises fast-paced action and easy to pick up gameplay while still maintaining the Sid Meier-style addictive feel of its PC predecessors. In honor of the release date, 2K has released a slew of screenshots in both DS and Xbox 360 flavors, and you know how much we love our slews

Hands On With Civilization Revolution Multiplayer.

Last Friday I headed down to the glamorous Hotel Monaco to check out some of the multiplayer functions of Sid Meir's newest addition to the Civilization franchise, Civilization Revolution. I had seen it previously at E3 and E for All but neither had really shown off the multiplayer functions of the game which is what this viewing was all about.

The first thing I noticed is the graphical overhaul the entire game has gone through in it's trip from PC to home console. Armies are no longer small collections of little dots, but now are fully fleshed out characters that actually engage enemies in animated battles. It sounds like a small thing but is actually a huge improvement and really draws you into the game a bit more. The closer camera angles help with this as well. Also completely revamped are the character models for all the various nation's leaders and advisers. They are much more detailed and while they are still technically rather cartoony, they still seem much more realistic than the ones in previous games of the series.

We launched right away into a multiplayer game against Wired's Chris Kholer. Now before you go skipping all the way to the end just to see if I kicked his butt, no I did not. Nor did he kick mine. Unfortunately we did not have the forty five minutes to an hour it takes to play a full vs game, but we got enough in to get a feeling for it. There are three different multi-player modes in the game: Free For All, Head to Head and Teams. We played the head to head version but I am sure the other modes play similarly in their basic play.

There are sixteen different civilizations to choose from at the top of the game, each civ having it's strengths and weaknesses. An interesting addition to this version of the game is the ability to apply an handicap to your team. So if you are a new player going up against a more experienced one, you can choose from one of four different levels of handicap that will speed up your building and production speeds and the like. Of course choosing to handicap will stick you with one of the impressive list of names for the handicaps: Noobish, Noobasauraus, Noobatronic or Noobalicious.

Once the game started I could tell it was moving at a faster pace than previous titles. According to the developers, this is the best multiplayer functionality yet seen in a Civilization game. The controls and functions from the PC version have all been retrofitted to suit the controllers for the PS3 and Xbox 360. (The version I saw was the 360) The controls were comfortable and intuitive and within a few turns I was playing pretty smoothly. Civilization is kind of like riding a bike, once you find your balance your gliding along like you've been playing your whole life. I started off by building a couple cities and then sending my men out to start exploring the land. Several turns later I had acquired enough units to create an army. The armies area great addition since you essentially combine any three matching units together and you instantly have a nine person force. The is great for those ground skirmishes where you get to steal land from lowly barbarians. The game is still turn based and you have to wait for your opponent to finish his move before you can start yours. This can be boring at times, but it does afford you a little time to try and think ahead about your next move. The battle animations are done using the Havok engine and it was cool to watch the little guys fall off a mountain or die face down in the ocean. I did manage to get in a scuffle with the fine Mr. Kholer's army but in the time allotted I only managed to steal his camels. Not a great prize, but I enjoyed my feeling of accomplishment.

Before leaving, I got to check out a little of the DS version of the game albeit briefly. The handheld version is almost an exact replication of the console game with the exception of the graphics which of course had to changed to accommodate the DS screns and resolution. The controls and gameplay however are exactly the same. The developers explained that they didn't want to present a stripped down version just because it was on a handheld. From what I could tell in the short amount of time I had with it, they did an admirable job.

I enjoyed my time with Civilization Revolution and will definitely be picking up a copy when it comes out on June 3rd. It has made the jump from PC to console nicely and the graphical improvements will make it an interesting play for long time Civ players. For new players just getting interested in the title or those who just don't care for PC gaming, it will be a great introduction into the city building, wonder erecting, micromanaging world of Civilization.

18dl.jpg

19dl.jpg

20dl.jpg

21dl.jpg

22dl.jpg

24dl.jpg

25dl.jpg

26dl.jpg

27dl.jpg

28dl.jpg

29dl.jpg

30dl.jpg

31dl.jpg

32dl.jpg

33dl.jpg

Anyone buying this? I love Civ but my current laptop wont run Civ IV so this might be my Civ fix :)

£27.99 delivered at ShopTo :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I might pick it up but am tempted to wait for world in conflict.

Definitely buying this on 360. Been waiting on it for ages

The thing that always pisses me off about Civ games is the enemy units always walk in your territory like they own it - yet you cant ever go into theirs without declaring WAR.

And if you ask them to leave your land they'll declare war on you.

If this game has none of the cheating AI then ill pick it up - if its basically the same old shit with new graphics they can stick it.

2K Games is planning to release a demo of Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network this Thursday.

According to GameSpot, the demo will be on Xbox Live worldwide and PSN in North America, with a PAL PSN release to follow at some undetermined point in the future. We've asked 2K to clarify.

The demo will give you control of either Caesar or Cleopatra and allow you to play against the CPU or human players online until 1250 AD. But if you're staring at your 2008 Kylie calendar in alarm, don't worry, you've misunderstood the premise: building civilisations up from nothing and trying to outdo competing cultures by achieving things like military, diplomatic, economical or scientific superiority.

The demo is set to weigh in at 1.08GB.

The full game isn't due out for a month in the US, but for once in our wretched lives the news is better for us, with a European release on PS3 and 360 set for 13th June. A DS version will then follow in the summer. The previously-planned Wii version is on indefinite hold.

Look out for our review of Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution very soon.

Off to my US account on PSN then ...

Lami, ShopTo are selling it for £27.99, bit cheaper? If you do use Game, the code MODGAMER gives you £3 of £30 or more too ;))

Lami, ShopTo are selling it for £27.99, bit cheaper? If you do use Game, the code MODGAMER gives you £3 of £30 or more too ;))

Tried the code but sadly its 29.99 on game so won't work :(( shopto don't list the country i'm in.

Civilization Revolution demo tomorrow for Xbox 360 and PS3

Gamespot reports that a demo for console-centric Civilization Revolution will be available tomorrow on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The demo will fill about 1.08 gigglebytes of hard drive space and include both single and multiplayer demos. Players will have the option of playing as Cleopatra or Caesar up until 1250 AD in the turn-based strategy game.

The demo will become available tomorrow beginning at 5AM EST on Xbox Live and as part of the PSN update sometime during the afternoon. We're definitely looking forward to testing out the demo and seeing if our civilization will stand the test of time survive until 1250 AD. Civilization Revolution is currently scheduled to release on July 8 for Xbox 360, PS3 and DS.

So the demo's out, I go to the marketplace to download it and it's not there, I have a gold account, I'm in Sweden, why is it not there? So I then realise the demo isn't available in Asia, I bought my gold account in Singapore, so for some reason I'm still classified as using the Asia marketplace even though I'm now in Sweden and have updated my profile accordingly, IMO that's really fucked up and I don't see why it's happening? :(

I created a new UK silver account, it then gave me 1 month free gold, and I downloaded the demo, but still I shouldn't have to do shit like that when I paid for a gold account.......

AWESOME demo

It's only X amount of turns worth but i was hooked - it feels so much like the original Civ and yet still feels like the later more 3D looking ones without going into the overly complicated areas.

I've not looked at the multiplayer side yet but this is definitely worth a buy on the 13th

Cheers Radiation, I'll grab the demo tonight :DANCE:

You buying the full version?

without a doubt I will be yes. (Anyone know if it has mouse/keyboard support on PS3?)

Back
Top Bottom