Coldplay's X and Y.

phrase

Tactician
12 December 2002
Little Mancunia
I love this album but there is something wierd and strange with it.To those who had it,do you guys notice they had this sound of a person "screaming in agony" in all of their songs? It sounds like a person shouting while falling off a cliff or being tortured,its disturbing.For example,one of my favourite track in the album,Fix You,excatly inside 1:12 minutes...at the same time Chris Martin sings.."Lights will guide you home..." you can hear it on one side of your earphones/speakers.I noticed they include this in almost all of their songs?

Best album of the year so far but I wouldn't say its as good as Rush of Blood... and Parachutes - but those are quite high standards!

EDIT: Phrase, I couldn't hear the screams you were talking about. Either my hearing has gone bust or your copy is slightly different? Has anyone else observed this?

Last edited:
phrase said:
I love this album but there is something wierd and strange with it.To those who had it,do you guys notice they had this sound of a person "screaming in agony" in all of their songs? It sounds like a person shouting while falling off a cliff or being tortured,its disturbing.For example,one of my favourite track in the album,Fix You,excatly inside 1:12 minutes...at the same time Chris Martin sings.."Lights will guide you home..." you can hear it on one side of your earphones/speakers.I noticed they include this in almost all of their songs?

SOrry, i cant hear any man screaming on Fix You. Maybe theres dust on your disc or something?? lol.

I'm sorry guys.I seem to had the japanese import version.I found it quite disturbing and I rid of it all.I now have the real,retail cd and everything is fine,no screaming whatsoever.If you guys are interested to know more,just google it.

phrase said:
I'm sorry guys.I seem to had the japanese import version.I found it quite disturbing and I rid of it all.I now have the real,retail cd and everything is fine,no screaming whatsoever.If you guys are interested to know more,just google it.
I'm genuinely disturbed by this and Google sheds no light on it. What the hell is this screaming thing about? :|

I scream every time I hear Coldplay when I walk into any high street shop and hear them playing. Don't people have any other CDs?? Great music, just not everywhere I go please.......oh heck, this should go in the whinging thread....

crayon said:
I scream every time I hear Coldplay when I walk into any high street shop and hear them playing. Don't people have any other CDs?? Great music, just not everywhere I go please.......oh heck, this should go in the whinging thread....

In a way i can understand you...i sometimes have the same reaction with other music... fortunately you don't hear their music everywhere in Belgium.
And Csaunders i was not saying that their music isn't commercial, i was only saying that X & Y is a more difficult record than the first two records...i know that just like i you are fond of Wilco...that of course is really non-commercial music.
But if hitparades were full of music like Coldplay we would live in a better world...i had the same feeling with the late great Crowded House...these are Beatles-esque bands who make very, very good music...i prefer them to the next big prefab boysband or the latest R&B "sensation" or a freshly imported streetwis gangsta rapper (if i would be black, boy i would hate R&B and gangsta rap...).
Oh and before somebody starts moaning: there are tons of fantastic black music (Johh Legend, Cassandra Wilson, The Roots, Zap Mama, Ali Farka Touré...)

Its always the songs that take a while to like that are the best ones. When I first heard X&Y, I immediately liked about four songs - but the album has been on serious rotation for the past few days now and I'm really beginning to like the other songs.

My fave is "Fix You" - you just know when a song is amazing when its lyrics can be applied to many different situations. I'm not surprised its gonna be released as a single but it kinda takes away the whole feeling away when you hear some random shazza singing it on the bus whilst listening to her "NOW....Thats What I Call Music! 78" cd :(

Last edited:
Can't say I'm a big fan when I hear it in every shop I go into. There is something about listening to something just because it happens to be what everybody else is listening to. I tend to go away from that, then listen to them 3 or 4 years down the line.

joostebrood said:
Coldplay are the new U2, and that's not a compliment from my side.

Well you obviously haven't listened to either bands' latest offerings!! I have seen them both live over the summer and they were he best gigs I have ever been to. Such energy in the their performances.

X and Y will be regarded as one of the all-time classic albums.

I have listened to both of their albums. U2 have been shit ever since Achtung Baby and Coldplay is repeating their success. I'm not saying it's bad music, it's just not my thing.

I do like Coldplay live, they got great reviews here in Holland.

Carry on

joostebrood said:
I have listened to both of their albums. U2 have been shit ever since Achtung Baby and Coldplay is repeating their success. I'm not saying it's bad music, it's just not my thing.

I do like Coldplay live, they got great reviews here in Holland.

Carry on

Fair enough mate, U2 went downhill after Achtung Baby (quite easy after Joshua Tree\Rattle and Hum\Achtung Baby) how do you improve on those three?

However, their last 2 albums are a return to form imo. One of the all-time great bands.

They're probably the biggest band ever. Maybe it has to do with overkill, but I've lost all interest.

I like Swallowed In The Sea from X&Y, best song on the record in my opinion.

Joost, i'm not really a U2 fan, but both U2 and Coldplay have in common that they are fantastic live bands...One big disappointment with Coldplay live...they spil their best song: Amsterdam.
The moment when Chris Martin and an organ is joined by the rest of the band is sheer magic (alle haren op m'n lichaam komen recht als ik dat hoor, te belachelijk om een poging te doen om dat in het Engels te zeggen)...the live verson is one big disappointment...But apart from that like all great live bands they do something with their songs (i never bought Springsteen albums but went to his gigs).

They do perform well live, I agree with you on that. I've seen U2 myself about 12 years ago and I watched that Coldplay DVD. There's just no spark here, has to do with taste I think.

X & Y is the only album ive bought this year and i have to say it is top quality stuff, i think it equals both previous albums from this seriously tallented band, and i hope to see them live in the near future.

Fav song on X & Y are the obvious Fix you, Talk, and speed of sound, although they still have yet to top the scientist for me.

For me with any band I really like I look for some sort of progression in there music from album to album (and that progression only lasts so long before it gets old with any band) but x and y sounds to me like a rip off of there last album. it’s a big shame as I was hoping for something big from them. imo its a step backwards :(

Coldplay are starting to bore me. It all sounds the same. Oh and he talks bollocks in interviews. Like when asked about his new album and how it has some pro enviroment songs, the interviewer then asked how did you get to live aid and old Chris said personal jet.....

What do you wanna prove by that posting???
I think this has to do with the jealousy who always is related to successfull people...Chris Martin went to Live Aid with a personal jet...so what???
Maybe it was the only way he could make it...if he would not have done that you would have complained that he didn't even bother to participate in Live Aid...to people like you the glass is always half empty...you sound like you are already in your midlife crisis and how old are you??? 13, 14 or already 15....
This thread is about music and not about jealousy...choose yourself a good therapist but don't bother us...

Back
Top Bottom