Colin McRae Dirt (PS3/360/PC)

Don't forget WRC07 using the Motorstorm engine!

I'm sure I read an interview with the developer in which they said the WRC games were on hold due to the precarious state of the championship so we probably wouldn't get a version for this year.

Doesn't bother me too much as I've never been much of a fan of their rally series anyway, always been a Colin Mcrae for the more realistic side and Sega Rally for my arcade thrills kinda guy. I think Saturn Sega Rally would probably be in my top five games ever.

Besides Collin Mc Crae there is also a game called something like "Richard Burns Rally" ...that is supposed to be very, very realistic...too realistic to be enjoyable according to a couple of reviews i read...

Yeah that was released for the ps2 a few years ago i think, never played it myself as im not much of a rally fan (enjoy having opponents on track).

Richard Burns Rally is most realistic but its too hard. Colin is not very realistic and WRC is somewhere between those and in my opinion it is best. But i dont have PS3 so i´m waiting Colins Dirt and ofcourse Flatout for 360 i just hope it would be more like FO1 than FO2 :)

i played WRC and the sequel on PS2. awesome game. had a great in car camera as well. great long 10 minute rally stages. lacked a bit on presentation and graphics and sound but great gameplay. looking forward to getting a rally game on the ps3. WRC using the motorstorm engine sounds quite appealing

i never really thought colin mcrae was that great. looked good but kind of boring as a racer overall. lacked something..

Hands-on Preview (CVG)

screenshot_175586.jpg

screenshot_175589.jpg

screenshot_175587.jpg

All hype aside, lovers of driving should be excited. Some kids think Colin is fictional, like Lara Croft, and that's fitting - both series took sequels too far. At least McRae's quality rose, but by Colin McRae Rally 2005 the tech was creaking, and the experience was flagging.

Codemasters have averted a precipitous fall by reinventing CMR as DIRT, bringing in the Neon engine to handle more events: once a pure World Rally campaigner, McRae now dabbles in everything from Le Mans to the Dakar Rally.

But with the hype about open landscapes, multiple disciplines and graphical splendour come the questions. Would it just be Codies' own TOCA with some gravel thrown in? How real are those screens? Will it just be a chaotic jack-of-all-trades tangling itself up in justifications for Colin McRae's career path?

Advertisement:
This total reworking has, from the impressive pre-alpha build we played, dealt ninja blows to every question. DIRT is scary-fast, more gorgeous than the screens imply (soft lighting and shadows, lush reflections, organic landscapes) and nails the thrill of a leaping, drifting, edge-of-control drive better than any arcade racer for years. The design of the bumpy, jumpy, frequently blind-cornered stages we saw (playing out on everything from wet tarmac to desert dust) sparkles as brightly as the car models. It also has painfully beefy door-shedding, chassis-folding, scenery-demolishing crashes to counterpoint the speed.

DIRT fairly booms with substance and style - it's like seeing the first CMR all over again. Will the next generation grow up thinking the great man himself is actually called McRae-Dirt? Happily, the evidence suggests yes.

Last edited:
The first one i bought was the second one and i never played a better one, but i never played the first...

C MC Rae 2 is still one of the best video games i've ever played...

CMR2 for me took the goodness of CMR1 and evolved it into a great game. I played on CMR2 a lot when i 1st got it and loved it!

Dj

Colin McRae 2.0 was a great game yes, it took the basis of the first game and polished it as best it could on the PS, the first game while brought a new dimension to rally games on consoles had an awful frame rate and very dodgy pop up and very jaggie graphics.

Colin McRae 3 took the game a different way, and well it didnt help the series, you basically raced as Colin and thus in the Championship series you could only drive the Ford Focus. McRae 4 returned to free choice for racing, and was the last I played, had a demo of 5 but the handling model was alot more arcadey by then, and I didnt like it.

Nice find Thomas, thanks!

It's looking great; I just hope the gameplay is realistic...

looks good, but the driving scenes where you can actually see an ingame cam behind the car look pretty arcadey. hope it plays better, cause damage and graphics and all that stuff looks really good in replay cams

May be playing more than football on the PS3 when the price is right... this and GTA are looking really good, just hope you can play two player with a full grid in the race modes, hate it when you have to have only 6 cars or worse just one on one!!
Anymore details?

Well from those videos pepe this also looks pretty good.... Might have to invest in this and Forza 2 :)

Dj

Back
Top Bottom