Colin McRae Dirt (PS3/360/PC)

physics engine looks horrible. bad bad arcade bullshit. not even the slightest idea of simulation to spot. damn codemasters. :( i want a remake of TOCA 1 + 2 and Colin 1+2 with hd graphics :(

physics engine looks horrible. bad bad arcade bullshit. not even the slightest idea of simulation to spot. damn codemasters. :( i want a remake of TOCA 1 + 2 and Colin 1+2 with hd graphics :(

:( Got to agree those last clips really looked poor on the physics side, the crash and damage implementation was awful and the floaty cars.... lets just hope they were very early stuff :shock:

just watched it, still looks completely off, the cars are indeed floaty and look more like hovercrafts than racecars. this looks shit. all hopes are on forza 2 now :(

Yeah, looks like it's an arcade game and nothing more - but you never know, it could be fun. I wouldn't say PGR is realistic (anything but ... after getting used to the controls and playing Forza 1, I kept ploughing into the barriers from braking WAY too late), but it was a laugh when it was first released and there were always plenty of people online.

pgr 3 was a lot of fun, but also because everything seemed very dynamic with still a bit of halfway realistic physics left. you could see your car move, wobble around and drift beautifully - not the things you could do with the real cars, but it had some sort of "that's it" feeling coming with it.

but the dirt videos just look very static and not fun at all :( it could be about the camera angle aswell, it really is horrible.

what really bothers me is that they allways pretend to create THE top-simulation and people believe them. HELL. no. this is not realism. i can honestly say i played pretty much every decent racing game, no matter if arcade or pure simulation, that was released for pc over the past 7 or 8 years, and even if i never drove a racecar i can still build an opinion (i've been working together with several racedrivers that are /were performing on a high level in international motorsport to create modifications for the isi games from SCGT up to rFactor, i really trust them n what they tell me about physics and how cars react) and codemasters for sure just want to satisfy everyone from the 5 yr old up to the old man.

and that's okay but please don't state it can not get more realitic than in your games. :roll:

but than maybe i am just biased and a little simulation fanboy? ;)

Last edited:
It looks about as realistic as Gran Turismo's crappy Rally Mode.... allbeit GT's Rally Mode was a lot worse!

Dj

Last edited:
Game is not coming out on PS3 until October.

These developers are a joke. The same goes with Ubisoft in regards to GRAW2 & R6:Vegas.

Just release the things.

Not sure if it is or not, but June was the original date for release, it could be both next gen games get delayed though, but October will be one hell of a tough month to launch anything, as I guessing both next gen footie games will arrive that month as well as GTAIV, or have I got GTA wrong?

Is that the same for the 360?

Only PS3 mate!

From what i have read but could be wrong because like it has been pointed out October is a stupid month to release a game like this as it will get swamped with GTA & Halo.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 23, 2007 - Hitting Live! and PC download mirrors tomorrow is a Colin McRae: DIRT demo:

"We think the demo is really going to wow a lot of people. It'll have a Super Stage crossover rally with Colin as your opponent, it's got buggy racing against 9 opponents which is absolute carnage and really shows off the car models, and then we have a hill climb with fantastic scenery and a Travis Pastrana time to beat. It's a great little package and it's out on May 24."

It's presently scheduled for a 9am release in the UK, which is 1am here on VE.

--http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/791/791046p1.html

ftp://downloads.codemasters.com/demo/dirtdemo.exe

It wasn't on Live a few hours ago for me, but I've just checked again and it's there. I'll give it a go, I suppose there's the slightest weeniest chance they could have improved the gameplay since those earlier screenshots/videos/previews were released.

I doubt it'll be making me cancel my Forza 2 pre-order though. :)

My System
amd 3700+@ 2.8ghz
1gb ram pc3200@500mhz
512mb x1800xt 700/800
fps min 20 max 30

The Xbox360

Started downloading the demo at half eight yesterday, left the Xbox on to download (bear in mind the power safety mode switches it off after six hours - but I was pissing around on the Xbox until half nine). Left it on all night, woke up this morning to play the demo, and...

It's only 50% done.

So that's 350mb in six hours, on a 2mb connection that downloaded 1gb in less than an hour off the net two nights ago. Seriously, Microsoft, fuck you.

AMD64 X2 4800 @ 3.0GHz
1GB XFX 7950GX2 SLi (overclocked)
2GB PC6400 @ 800MHz

Wasn't impressed with the 30-40 FPS I was getting :/ hopefully they can optimise the code between now and release.
Considering this is made by the same folk as TOCA3 I was surprised just how bad it felt! This is with a Logitech G25.
No matter how I configure the controls its nowhere near as tight and responsive as the rally / rallycross bits of TOCA :/

ripkord, agree with you, this game just doesnt feel right. I was impressed by how the Graphics looked on my machine.

My Specs
Pentium D 3.4GHZ X 2
256MB ATI Radeon X1900 GT
1.5GB DDR2 RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium Edition.

Dj

Been downloading since half nine this morning, that's over an hour and a half, and it's gone up by 12% (that's 100mb - I can download 100mb now on my PC and it won't even take five minutes), totalling 62% in seven and a half hours. Utterly disgraceful.

EDIT: What the hell?! I've just switched the 360 off and rebooted the router to try and make it go a bit faster, and now the download progress has gone backwards (52%)?!

Last edited:
glad i not the only one Jack. I had problems last night then tried this morning before i went too work and was at 55% by i left. told my GF too leave it for an hour and if not done forget about it.

pretty shameful display by MS. a demo under 1gb should not be taking this long!

Well something's happened server-wise because I was watching the percentage go up every few minutes, went for a drink, came back and it was going up every few seconds. It's just finished now. So that's a total of eight hours to download.

Well, the front-end is absolutely beautiful, without doubt the best I've seen (you can tell which crowd they're aiming for though - as in either the simulation guys or the arcade guys - as there's an American who talks over everything and really gets on your tit within a second, "GET READY! It's COLIN MCRAE DIRT! Select a race! HERE WE GO!"). The graphics as a whole are amazing actually, a stunning, artistic front-end and brilliant in-game graphics (not just the cars, the drivers look real too). But let's have a look at the gameplay.

It's a shame I can't put up an audio clip of my initial reaction, as it might have provided a few laughs, but here is the transcript:

"EUGH. EUGH. That is disgusting. Oh my God. Eugh."

You go from 0-60 in a second, you can turn the car 45 degrees in a second, you can stop the car in a second. Even as an arcade game it is absolutely dire. I was expecting a lot from this, then the previews lowered my hopes, but seriously, I didn't think it would be as bad as this. PGR3 was a launch title and it pisses over this from a great height - I'm not talking Empire State Building high, I'm talking space station high. And I didn't think that much of PGR3, so... Yeah, seriously, don't bother with it.

Wow, I'm seriously regretting the cost of electricity it's took me to download that. I cannot believe it's that bad. I wonder if I could sue...

Last edited:
PGR3 was a launch title and it pisses over this from a great height - I'm not talking Empire State Building high, I'm talking space station high.

You dont want to be doing that, it'll float all around you and end up all over your face ;)

Surprised actually, as from the videos ive seen the multicar racing looked a lot of fun (reminded me of motorstorm) and liked the fact that the damage looked decent aswell (wheels coming off, engineblock being crushed on full impact etc). Shame then that the controls seem to be so crap, although seeing the "behind car cam" that did look a bit crap.

Seriously, it plays like one of the Xbox Live Arcade games, not a full-blown £50 RRP title.

The only way you could get any fun out of it is if you look at it as something not at all to do with the actual sport (in the same way that Mario Strikers Charged Football isn't and never was going to be an accurate representation of football) - you'll never, EVER see two cars go from stand-still to 100mph like they do in this from the starting line, not even in Formula One. It is NOTHING LIKE realistic, and I've seen a ton of arcade games more fun than this, so it fails in all departments for me gameplay-wise.

Well you guys must of just got unlucky with the DL's, I DL'd this and Area 51 in under 2 hours this morning, bloody quick sharp like, though have yet to have anything like a worthwhile go on it yet, tried the buggy racing, and well it dont feel as solid as MotorStorm does in that area. More info later when I get a chance to play it more.

Played the demo today and for the first time in a LONG time I'm impressed by a video game!

FINALLY, yes, FINALLY we have photo-realistic graphics. The hill climb is absolutely breathtaking, it's not just the textures or anything like we usually have, it's the colour, the lighting it's just all so perfect.

Damage, excellent, it's raised the bar for damage in a car game, SO realistice.

Menu's, gorgeous, the icing on the cake. Everybody else has alot of catching up to do, Codemasters just raised the bar.

So you didn't get around to playing it then, just looking at it.

The menus are from another planet, admittedly, and the in-game graphics are superb. Makes a mockery of Forza 2. But the gameplay is utter poo. Real cars don't have that acceleration, and real cars cannot turn as easily as that, it's like driving a car so light it's made of cardboard. You can turn on a sixpence - and yet I've noticed you can turn so far, e.g. 25 degrees, and then the car refuses to turn at the same rate and suddenly you're driving into the wall desperately trying to turn away.

I think it's the best handling I've felt in a rally game, I'm not liking the Mitsubishi Lancer at all, the Subaru is fantastic tho, very realistic, I love the way it screetches across the tarmac.

Back
Top Bottom