few new screenshots

491e8888abac05233727527aacb9.jpg

f408e3fe67d99989b5ed38cb52a7.jpg

009e18b19caa6bbfdc44a9d2ad53.jpg

4a943bf575ddbb5b6525dfed1f25.jpg

de82c97525e590cbcb4aa44e81ed.jpg

ae93131e600609f86303a9f008ad.jpg

Last edited:
PS3 buckles up for Codemasters' reinvention of the rally series and one helluva ride

He's getting a bit long in the tooth now, is old Colin, and it's been two years now since the last game bearing his name. He's not even that good at rally driving anymore. And yet, much like the Tony Hawk games, Colin McRae rally titles are pretty much guaranteed to be high quality - even more so when they happen to be coming out for what'll be the world's most powerful games machine.

Take those weird 2D crowds - they've been dumped and replaced with fully animated 3D spectators that react to the way you drive. Expect to see them cheer and holler as you powerslide past them or lose interest in you altogether if you're too slow.

Advertisement:Even the way cars roll and crash has been subjected to a sprinkling of PS3 wonder dust, shying away from the totally over-the-top explosions of metal and rubber seen in games like Burnout. Instead cars will bend, buckle and be torn apart realistically according to what they hit and where, so every accident will be different.

Add in the new race-style Rally RAID events, an adrenaline-soaked alternative to those punishing timed stages, and Colin McRae: DIRT is set to hurtle out of a dark wet forest and into somewhere much more exciting early next year. Look out - CAR!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=148055

ThomasGOAL said:
Codemasters developing 'Neon Engine' for PS3
The "Neon Engine" is a cross platform engine. It was made since they needed a way to exploit the power of the PS3 and no current engines (such as Unreal and Renderware, which both they tried) allowed them to do what they wanted to do with it, thus they talked to $ony and got inside info and built a new engine with the help of $ony. One that would allow them to exploit the power of the PS3 and combine it with being able to also exploit the power of the X360 at the same time. Meaning both versions (X360 and PS3) will do the most it can with their respective hardware. Cool stuff IMO.

Last edited:
funny to see sony like that : $ony
i think is more appropriate for Micro$oft ;)

and the 'Neon Engine' are optimised for the PS3, but can be nice on the 360 too

Can we have one thread without the console war getting into it. I'm really looking forward to the game, I'm hoping it's a little less sim based than the previous games, and with shot of the cars racing together hoping that maybe there is some rally cross in there. Either or, just looking forward to Codies releasing a new game on the new platforms.

seriously i hope this will be MORE sim-based than previous parts as those really felt like absolutely arcade crap trying to be sim. bad games. best parts still 1 + 2.

WTF ?? you need stop now ! are you find your stupid console war from my 2 posts ?
It's from computerandvideogames.com isn't my problem if don't speak about Xbox 360 !

ThomasGOAL said:
WTF ?? you need stop now ! are you find your stupid console war from my 2 posts ?
It's from computerandvideogames.com isn't my problem if don't speak about Xbox 360 !
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The game comes out on Both Machines. Nuff Said. Dont care if the PS3 version is 'slightly' better graphics wise but the face of the matter is that Xbox 360 and PS3 will both get this game.

1 Big shame is that usually WRC games tend to be better than Colin games (the last few ones were) so im hoping Codies have turned the corner and made this better than 2005 was which I thought sucked.

DJ

2004 was a great game, 2005 not as hot, never played WRC after II as it was pure bobbins, so cant comment on the new WRC games, but I still rate McRae better in terms of franchise.

WRC 4 was ace holio! and I loved the WRC Evolved! Rocks Falling!, Cars crashed ahead of you! all sorts of realistic dangers and obstacles in your way! I loved that game it was awesome.

DJ

I like rally games much more than streetracing ones, they have that gritty feel, tarmac and gravel roads and ofcourse snow. Cars get damaged much better and the overall immersion is greater. I hope this new Colin enhanches that feel even more, making it even more realistic and fun.

It looks sweet! ill give it that, if they can give us a good driving experience plus realism with the physics and car damage ill be delighted.

DJ

Agree that they need to make it more sim based - there are plenty of arcade racing games out there!

Even just a simulation mode with longer more technical stages would be great. Stages have been way too short on the last couple of games.

But if you make stages too long and too sim based it will alienate alot of the market.........

I have enjoyed the McRae series, and it has moved on from Rallying I guess, but I still think there is a happy medium. I know I was driving on my wits in some of the races, and I dont fancy a full sim based 10-15min stage, that would put me right off. Sega Rally with it's min to 2 min stages where too short, although I have enjoyed that series alot.

Some news on the game at Eurogamer.

Colin McRae: DIRT launches for the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC in June. The three versions will be almost identical, but Raeburn admits that Microsoft leads the way with its online service:

"Xbox Live set the benchmark with regards to online console gaming, so it is a compliment to Microsoft that we are endeavouring to replicate much of this on the PS3 and PC platforms."

Last edited:
But if you make stages too long and too sim based it will alienate alot of the market.........

I have enjoyed the McRae series, and it has moved on from Rallying I guess, but I still think there is a happy medium. I know I was driving on my wits in some of the races, and I dont fancy a full sim based 10-15min stage, that would put me right off. Sega Rally with it's min to 2 min stages where too short, although I have enjoyed that series alot.

How can you not like the 10-15 min stages? I really miss that feature in Rally games. I had this one from around the win95/game still ran in DOS days on the computer I forget what it was called, but there was nothing close. Ahhh, the days of driving in the snow at night for a real 10-15 and even sometimes 20-30 mins. This game was advanced for its time also. Rain and snow would stick to the windsheild and the wipers would actually wipe it off. Mud, snow, water stuck to the car........Thinking about this is starting to piss me off now. Why is it a game from the 90's did this stuff but 99% of games today, with the powerful hardware we have now can't do it is beyond me. Oh nevermind, I forgot most developers have become lazy and spew out the same crap year after year.

I really need to go dig through some boxes and find this game, I want to play it again and I dont even care that the best resolution I'll get out of it is 800x600 \\:o/

Last edited:
I had that, got it for Christmas (along with a steering wheel) - if we're talking about the same game. Network Q (or something like that)?

Was one of the best Christmas presents I ever got - sitting there sucking on auntie Shirley's boiled sweets and going on a "drive" for half an hour. And when it got too serious, Carmageddon afterwards... Those were the days.

Network Q Rally and International Rally Championship!!! those were the days!!!!!

Dj

I had that, got it for Christmas (along with a steering wheel) - if we're talking about the same game. Network Q (or something like that)?

Fuck yeah!!!!!!! It was just called Rally Championship in the states(was released in 1996 or 1997) but we are indeed talking about the same game and oh boy was it a great game........countless hours wasted...........did I say wasted, I meant countless hours put to good use :p

Here is a screenshot of what we are talking about for you old school fans.
400px-Network_Q_RAC_Rally_Championship.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom