Controlled Shot (Square + R2) - best situation to use?

Wlionheart

Non-League
27 March 2006
Sydney
Ok, now for a stupid and a question probably asked many times - but in which situation is :square: + :r2: (controlled shot) best used?

From what I've read in other threads it should be used one-on-one with the keeper, making sure you're at an angle (so it won't shoot directly to the GK).

I've tried shooting from just outside with :square: + :r2: and it seems to hit it with alot less power.

Do you hold :r2: or do you tap :r2: whilst the shot gauge is up?

What are your opinions?

Cheers.

There is no general rule to this mate but surely if you play football in real life you know that sometimes for max accuracy and picking out corners of nets whether top or bottom corners, it is necessary to hit the ball with a SOFTER more technical touch with "Inside of foot" to curl inwards to goal for far post instead of shooting with power and that is why Konami introduced this 2nd and much needed way of shooting so we have a choice to use our imagination and use that inside-foot curler when necessary.

So yeah usually it's mostly needed and useful when inside the box or on edge to curl ball softly inwards to corner or on a situation like 1-on-1 but it doesn't have to be and if you do notice a goalie somewhat stuck to one post and you are from outside of box you can just hold the square button more for even more distance/power and then using R2 try to curl the ball to the other post he's not close to and if it's done with right player who is good at shot technique (most importantly), then he might just pull off an amazing goal! 8)

Both me and my brother have scored some very nice goals using R2 type of softer shot from OUTSIDE the box as we watched our player accurately pick a corner and curl it in with a beautiful softer technical shot that goalie just couldn't get to because it was too precise! :)

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
No problem man, glad I could help.

To be honest the easiest way to understand where an R2 shot would be useful in game though is something not easily explained although I did my best above but just you know where and what situation if you play real life footy which I'm sure you do ;)

I do it on the edge of the box when ive got half a yard of space, Hold Down R2 and Press the shot button until I get the desired power.

Boom :)

DJ

Oh nice explanation PLF. Thank you. I thought it only helps you to shoot good shots from outside the box and I've scored some. I didn't know it makes the shot softer though it's very logical as it adds curl to the ball. I had no idea that it'd be useful to use :r2:+:square: with 1-1. Maybe I can score more constantly now with these seemingly easy shots when 1-1 with the opposition's keeper.

as far as I read on the piggytalk guide to PES you press shoot and only when the height bar apears do you press r2.

About shooting I don't have a clue, I hardly remember to press R2 in time to pick the gauge :).

Also a question (mainly to d-pad users but analog also applies). When directing the ball do you press the directions hard or smothly? Although I'm not 100% sure I found recently that maybe my hight rate of missed shots are due to the "decisive" whay in which I press the d-pad direction I wan't to aim, and that when pressing the buttons smoothly and without going all the way the shots are more controlled and usually don't miss as much. That was also evident in free kicks were now I'm able to give a better and more eficient curve when pressing smoothly when I usually missed when pressing hard.

Any inputs on this?

I'm not taking the piss, but I have found these threads to be the most useful I've seen on these forums. There have been some similar threads about tricks and what not but they are littered with offtopic trash (like this very post of mine ;) ).

Is it possible perhaps put these along with similar themed threads (i.e. when is the best situation to use ....?) into a different designated section for beginners/intermediates?

Last edited:
Good point mate.

I end up searching through old pages trying to find some tips.
Is there a designated section for these typa questions?

Cheers.

i only press r2 after ive shot, or after the bar is up, i thought if u press r2 before it just goes high in the air.
an awesome goal to score is play ronaldinho left for barca, cut in onto his just outside the left hand edge of the 18 yard and then about 1/2 to 3/4 power then r2, sweet curling shot into the far corner.

Yeah you have to press it afterwards and that indeed is very practical of where an R2 shot should be used Paddy because Ronaldinho has the great shot technique to bend them in and playing on left means cutting to box, putting ball on right and then doing a swift nice curler to far post! :)

curved shot was my wish since WE came to PC... and finally on we9 they put this feature, and i use it since the first time i played... i say to use your imagination and experience, that's all.

great thread, about for curling long shoots?? In the old we11 and pes, long shots were pretty easy to do, sometimes even unrealistic at times. But with the new we11 9, pretty difficult to score with long shots. I guess the a.i. of the goalie also has increase.

Androctonvs said:
huh... you press the r2 right after you shoot, not at the same time... read the official guide.

I thought it works either way: pressing the :r2: when the shot gauge is displayed OR holding :r2: whilst pressing :square: to shoot.

Perhaps they both do different things? What do you guys reckon?

Cheers.

tottigol said:
great thread, about for curling long shoots?? In the old we11 and pes, long shots were pretty easy to do, sometimes even unrealistic at times. But with the new we11 9, pretty difficult to score with long shots. I guess the a.i. of the goalie also has increase.

What game have you been playing?
Long shots in WE9 is the easiest way of scoring. Very unrealistic sometimes.
The shots are more accurate, and the keeper is really bad from outside.

For me the r2+square is really good inside the box, when the keeper is leaving the goal line...that's the time to curly it around him and put it in ;)

Mate with the R2 shot, I've been pulling off some of the most amazing (but questionable) goals from way outside the box.

Though somtimes, my strikers hit it like a pansy when i use R2 and goes straight to the keeper's arms.

Is it because I haven't put enough power on the ball?
What you guys reckon?

It might mean you didn't really have enough time to strike it due to being closed down or suddenly deciding to take a snapshot instead of something more controlled.

Back
Top Bottom