Crossing in LE

narutofan

Non-League
3 September 2004
Hello everyone!

I've had the game for abt a week or two and I'm pretty pleased with it. I finally had the chance to play against a human player, but I'm having huge problems with crossing the ball into the box. My friend and I played the game for 9hrs straight :> and as far as we could remember we didnt even score 1 header! I've tried everything, from crossing with/without R1/R2, crossing whilst standing still etc etc. I have been playing PES since version2 and WE since version 6 so I don't think I'm that bad :> Does any1 know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for reading guys/gals any info on what im doing wrong would b much appreciated.

To be honest mate,i've been playing we8le,for about a week,i still ain't scored a header.imo,the game is way too hard,you can't run like in pes4,wing play has been shot down,and dunno why,but i went back to pes4 last night and enjoyed my football again,darting runs,swerving crosses etc.maybe i just ain't no good,but i cope fine with pes4.
Mind you,i suppose if i played it long enough,i would improve,but i also play wide camera default,which is horrendous in we8le.
JT

Well, im always a header killer since we3 and i found header in We8Le is not that difficult, the main thing in here is not your players stats and height but "the way you cross". U cant expect heading the ball with only pressing a cross button, you have to adjust the direction as well as the range, the high of the cross and which player does the cross aim at. With the low cross ( 2 or 3 times cirle )it will be even more obvious, the defenders always stand infront of you if you dont check the small radar and adjust your cross direction.
Anyway, i just want to clear that header in we8le isnt hard, with practice you will get used to it.

Thing is I'm pleased with most aspects of the game, to me it feels more like real football.
I loved PES4 but some aspects were quite annoying, like how a player could keep possesion of the ball by using R2 loads (my mate used to do it all d time, annoyed the hell outta me) and the shooting system was pretty awful.
LE imo is a improvement but i felt it was odd dat me and my friend couldn't score with crossing the ball into the box after 9hrs of play! We tried using different teams and it was still the same.

subzozo

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I don't expect to score headers from just pressing the cross button!! I understand what your saying tho, but i just found it odd not to score from a cross after 9 hours of play. Maybe you have to do something different to the previous versions??? thats why i asked. I had no problems at all with the previous versions, but to me crossing in LE seemed pointless after the 9hrs of play i had against a human player. The formation i play is with a very wide left + right winger, so I always have plenty of chances to whip in a decent cross even when there aren't many defenders in the box, but none of my crosses seem to find the target. Maybe we were just having one of those days.

I cant say i score perfectly 9 or 10 out of 10 crosses but i head the ball (beat the defender) 6-7/10 crosses and score 3-4/6-7 headers. ( Same for comp or human opponents).
My method which always works is my attackers possition arent parallel and i have diff attrack arrows dirrections. Example: Kaka's possition a bit is lower than Sheva in my formation and while Sheva moving up leftward Kaka moving straight forward. When i cross from a left wing, i aim to Shave but then curling it back abit and Kaka is right there alone. All the defenders are attracted by Sheva so Kakas job is simple. I also use super cancel alot in order to get better possition for header...Its just one of many ways to score a header.
The only bug i hate now is the goalies, they dont narrow the angle when the attacker come very close and shoot at narrow angle ( near the post), they always stand at the middle of the box. The result is the goalies punch the ball into the net. I and my friend take advantage of this bug by come close to the box, instead of crossing the ball in, we shoot at narrow angle and the goalie simple punch the ball in their own net. LOL

Last edited:
I've noticed that some players just run down the wing and send in crosses all day long. You need to think things through if you want success with crosses. Stuff like the long pass accuracy of the crosser, getting them on their preferred foot, having a decent heading player in the centre and look at the radar to see that they are free.

Haven't tried WE8LE with a patch yet but am really enjoying it. Lots of little differences meaning I haven't won too many games! Scored a really good goal today playing with S.Korea against Japan from a corner. Cross to the far post around the six-yard box, headed back across the goal, beating keeper and defender on the line as it went into the side of the net. Goodnight Vienna.:D

I tend to score more goals off crosses when I cross the ball in early with hitting circle twice, if its an early cross, you may have a player in space, then bingo, in the back of the onion bag.

What is the difference between crossing with R1 pressed?

I use the R1 button when I need to get the ball out of my square box fast. Not for crossing in from the side.

I seriously can't score from crosses.

I play on 6* and all my crosses seem to go straight to the head of the defender.

Even if there's room ahead of my striker and no defender in sight, the winger will still cross to the opposition.

I had no such problems on PES4 or WE8.

^^ Not from open play IMO, as soon as it's left the player's boot control is transferred to the waiting striker.

I think it works - try holding these buttons before crossing and notice the height difference with R2.
(note: I haven't specifically checked this with WE8:LE yet)

i've scored a fair few headers to be honest, maybe because i'm Newcastle all the time and just get the early crosses in and Shearer does the rest.... i think the crossing is alot better a bit like WE7I with the pace u can create

Crossing is very difficult in this game for me as well. I'm no newbie and I could cross and score in We8 for fun. Thing is no matter how i cross (long, short w/ R1/R2 etc) the defender always seems to get there ahead of my attacker. This happens with my friends as well. I think there is a trick to getting your attackers onto headers in WE8LE I just can't figure it out as yet. Perhaps some of you guys who have scored lots of headers can share what exactly (timing, position, double tap or single tap) has been most successful for you.

Thanks much.

Hello !
I'm one of the biggest fan of wings play, so I can share my experience to you. I'm at Vietnam, but we (I & my friends) always play the latest verion of WE, and WE8LE is the best then ever. If you try many ways to cross the ball to the area but can not score, please think about what i say you next. First, when you come the the wing side, let your wing midfield (Right or Left) run to the back line near the corner flag, then pass back to your wing back (i mean RB or LB), and as soon as your wing back touch the ball, press O (the circle button) one, two or three times (depend on you), it will work. With this way, the ball will fly very undefindable and it is very hard to defender to stop it, i've scored many goals by this way and my friends admired this style of goal well. I've played WE series for years and hope my experiences will help you, thank for reading my idea. Good luck !

Ahn, that trick is very old since i played we3 for money in BachKhoa Uni in VN. ;)
Anyway, even normal cross isnt too hard to score. If you guys want i can try to record some of my crosses. Just let me know if u guys want me to do so. Im at final exam so it will take time.

Another match, and yet again all my crosses seem 'magnetized' towards the opposition defenders. Even if I cross early into acres of space (or so I think) the player will end up cutting the ball back and into the path of the defender.

I score from crosses all the time. The trick is to use the d-pad to send the ball in that direction. Also use the radar to see where you players are making there runs into the box. For example if your striker is level with the last defender press > and double tap circle to whip it in infront of the defender so your striker can run onto it. If your striker is behind the last defender press < and cross. It will pull it back to him and the defender won't have time to turn and your striker can run onto it. Just try using it, you will notice the differnce.

Can you not use the Analogue? It's a bit awkward to switch between the two just for crosses!

It would be interesting if people posted what skill level they're playing on, I'm playing on 6* and can barely win a header in the box, out of 30 15min games I've scored with 2 headers :(

subzozo said:
The only bug i hate now is the goalies, they dont narrow the angle when the attacker come very close and shoot at narrow angle ( near the post), they always stand at the middle of the box. The result is the goalies punch the ball into the net. I and my friend take advantage of this bug by come close to the box, instead of crossing the ball in, we shoot at narrow angle and the goalie simple punch the ball in their own net. LOL

Yeah, this 'bug' is so stupid, happens all the time.

Placebo said:
It would be interesting if people posted what skill level they're playing on, I'm playing on 6* and can barely win a header in the box, out of 30 15min games I've scored with 2 headers :(

I'm on 6* too.

I regularly win headers in defence and midfield but when it comes to the penalty area, my players seem to lose several inches.

I was playing as Southampton and Crouch is one tall mofo, the only headed goal he scored was a stooping header from about 0.5m off the goal line, quite silly, but still I'm happy the game is harder, I'm almost tempted to go down to 5* for a while to get used to it which is great :)

I'm playing on 6* as I alway's do, and yes you can do the same thing with the analogue stick. Would people like me too post some goals I've scored from crosses and explain how each one was scored?

Placebo said:
I was playing as Southampton and Crouch is one tall mofo, the only headed goal he scored was a stooping header from about 0.5m off the goal line, quite silly, but still I'm happy the game is harder, I'm almost tempted to go down to 5* for a while to get used to it which is great :)
5* is harder than 6* IMO. On 6* The CPU just plays all out attack, making it very easy to counter. On 5* the CPU is more balanced and you have to actually think about your attack and built it more. Sometimes I find myself knocking the ball about amongst my defence/midfield, looking for an opening, just keeping possession.

Just my IMO.

Back
Top Bottom