Crossing...

B

brindille

Hello everybody,

I would like to open a thread about crossing. For me the biggest problem (after the referes of course...) in WE9 !!!
It was so perfect in WE8... so natural to make crossing and score goal with the head... and now, it's so difficult, my crossings are weak and useless, and i almost never score goal after a crossing...

Can you give me your way to be effective with the crossing ?

double O ? Which directions ?

Thanks in advance...

brindille said:
Hello everybody,

I would like to open a thread about crossing. For me the biggest problem (after the referes of course...) in WE9 !!!
It was so perfect in WE8... so natural to make crossing and score goal with the head... and now, it's so difficult, my crossings are weak and useless, and i almost never score goal after a crossing...

Thanks in advance...

I do double tap :circle: when i'm sprinting and press diagonally on the d-pad to aim it away from the goal and make an in-swinger.
If stould still the best thing to do is press :r2: to make your player face the goal, then press :circle: once.

Ronaldinho88 said:
I do double tap :circle: when i'm sprinting and press diagonally on the d-pad to aim it away from the goal and make an in-swinger.
If stould still the best thing to do is press :r2: to make your player face the goal, then press :circle: once.

I also double tap :circle: with a diagonal direction... but most of the time I send the ball at the 4th post... of course where it's a little bit harder to score...

brindille said:
Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance...

Yeah, agreed about the WE8 headers.

But in WE8LE, crossing and actually scoring a header was a real bitch. Much improvement WE9 has brought over WE8LE.

I rarely score with crosses, but I think it works to aim your cross in a way. Let´s say you´re on the right wing running from the left side of the screen to the right. When I see a player on the near post, I press the circle button once and down on the D-pad and the ball flys to the near post. But then I loose the header and still don´t score.

But I thought Konami wanted to make a big change on crosses and headers, but nothing seems to have happened there.

I score lotta goals with headers but I'm positioning myself with :r2: (hold it and choose direction ) to make some space to give a clear shot

I prefer using double :circle: tap to cross , or I do a cross with :r2: on the farther post to make a pass header with :x: to my second striker/midfielder coming in

However, crossing method depends on situation, as it is in real life football :applause:

Last edited:
only1ronaldo said:
I score lotta goals with headers but I'm positioning myself with :r2: (hold it and choose direction ) to make some space to give a clear shot

I prefer using double :circle: tap to cross , or I do a cross with :r2: on the farther post to make a pass header with :x: to my second striker/midfielder coming in

However, crossing method depends on situation, as it is in real life football :applause:

I agree, the first sentence is THE KEY, to crossing scoring from headers, ever since WE8:LE. Difference being in WE8:LE the crossers were still fairly accurate (at your player), but the Defender used to stick like glue and intercept it if you didn't super cancel or use R2.

In WE9, I feel the crosses have less accuracy, and are scripted somewhat to play into open space. If you manually move your player you'll get onto it most of the time. I never liked the crossing in WE8, where the :circle: , :circle: was overly used by many palyers IMO. Always finished off with a diving header.

In WE9, using :circle: , :l1: + :circle: or :r2: + :circle: is far more effective, if you can get used to applying the right amout of power to the cross. Also, just like was said in the old WE8LE, skills thread, using your radar to spot the open man help a lot.

Putting crosses in is not the problem, I'm not happy with the finishing. Many a time i've put crosses in and the player comes in and scores with a screaming volley, This part seems too scripted for me, as the game seems to go for spectacular goals. Perfered it in WE8:LE, where you had to hold of with R2 a bit, to connect for a volley.

Cheers,

I've got an easy trick for scoring headers, just reach one of the 16-yard wings and press only :circle: if there is more than one defender and if you have a tall player inside the box,e.g. RVN, otherwise, i mean, if you have a not so tall player e.g. Rooney, use :circle: :circle: , with no directions in the crossing, but aiming at the opposite direction depending on the wing you're crossing, quickly, just aim the header at the nearest location, if you're attacking from left to right and crossing from the left wing you should aim the header at the keeper's right side.

I don't know if it's going to work for you, but for me it works wonders, i score at least a goal per match if i keep trying this technique, but obviously it's easier with tall players for the header...

Some great advice and points in this thread guys, but for me basically what only1ronaldo and Jiwa said.

The key is the R2 positioning, you have to remember this is not a pick up and play game like Fifa, you need to earn every single ball/tackle and aerial battle like in real life, so why would the ball just be with your player after crossing,?? it wouldn't.. like in real life you have to make sure YOU get to the ball first... how do you do this with holding R2 and a couple pushes of up or down or left and right to make sure your player gets to the ball first.. it also depends on his balance strength and lot of other things.

As for what Brosgwy said, yes sure mate I agree but this is kinda obvious. For example when I have someone like Peter Crouch or Jan Koller on my team I do a lot of Single presses of :circle: and sometimes even with :r2: added to it to make it even more lofty. Why?? because my player is so tall that he probably doesn't even need to jump for ball that high while the defender will have to jump for it and even then i'm likely to win it first with right positioning with :r2: and with my player's superior height/strength.

So yes you have to decide how high or lofty you want your cross and see if it's very lofty and soft if its gonna be good for you like in a Crouch situation or if you want a double tap which is much lower and faster cross.

It's all like real life and you have to think about it, people whined about it in LE but I had no trouble with it then and haven't noticed a problem in WE9 as well but then again I haven't played it much yet as I haven't had much free time past couple weeks.

PLF said:
like in real life you have to make sure YOU get to the ball first... how do you do this with holding R2 and a couple pushes of up or down or left and right to make sure your player gets to the ball first.. it also depends on his balance strength and lot of other things.

If i understand... the striker can try to reach the ball first with holding :r2: and left and right ?... that's new...isn't it ?

I will try..

No it's not new. It was there since We8 at least.

And I can't tell you if its right or left.. for example you need to press R2 + DOWN twice in certain time to get infront of the defender when the cross is coming from your right wing and let's suppose your playing from left to right.

So like in real life the players FIGHT for each aerial battle and it's about who is stronger/quicker and manages to get to ball first and then from there if he can do anything with it or no.

the most important things for crossing are try to look for an open player to cross to.. don't cross to close to the goal line try to lead the players as they run forward. and also use :r2: to position the player in front of the defender and/or a bit behind the ball so when you press :square: you are running towards the goal a bit.. this will give you an awesome powerful header

ok guys... thanks for all the advices... i will try this when my girlfriend will leave some time free !!!

It's crazy how we all like this game... and our girlfriends or wifes hate Winning Eleven...i don't understand...

i have had the game for a few days and still havn't scored a header! scored some class volleys, but other than that, had one or two hit the post etc.

Don't know if anyone here played Training, but there's a mini game there called 'Intermediate Skills', where you have many tasks to do in order to improve your game, and one of them you receive a long cross, only you and the keeper, you need to get first to score so the game tells you to press R1+R2, that way your player gets first and the keeper seems to forget about the ball, well maybe he's positioning himself for stop your finish.

I didn't try it yet in a match, maybe it's different 'cause of the opposition players you face, not only the GK. For those interested, try training first to learn it better.

brindille said:
ok guys... thanks for all the advices... i will try this when my girlfriend will leave some time free !!!

It's crazy how we all like this game... and our girlfriends or wifes hate Winning Eleven...i don't understand...

:D Aye, with you on that mate. My wife's been putting on a sour face ever since WE9 came out. She doesn't get why I have to get a new version every few months (same bloody game, in her opiniion). He.he.he.

Gametime being cut back by the missus, down to about 4-5 hrs a week now, :( .

Hope she plans a trip to her mom's soon.. :applause:

:lol: @ Jiwa ;)

Anyways guys I was gonna open a new thread but figured why, when we can continue our questions and discussions about crossing in this one.

So my problem is I don't exactly know how to cross to NEAR post. It seems like such a bitch that whatever you do, the ball will go to the further striker or one on far post.

So i'm playing with Lyon and play with 3 forwards, Wiltord or Govou as my RWF. Big John Carew in center hoping to get to end of some crosses or nod the ball and Malouda as LWF.

Problem is I want Carew to be on the receiving end of my crosses from left or right but it seems it always goes to anybody but him if they are further.

So I have ball with Govou on right wing and whether I press ONE circle or double-tap it, either way it will go to further player on far post so to Malouda but just the trajectory is lower when i do double-tap, not who it goes to and if I cross with Malouda it goes to Govou.

It's getting frustrating that I can almost never get ball to Carew unless he's only one in the box and I've been trying different configuration types (Type 1-5) but haven't found a solution yet as to HOW I can tell the game that I want this cross to go to my NEAREST striker not further one.

So if anyone has proper solution, please explain and also tell us what configuration type you have your controller on.

try pressing cross and then just as they release the ball, press R2, tends to play it to the nearest man for me, like a floater. Can work to perfection if timed right

Thanks I'll try that mate but to be honest I didn't know this is a way to cross to nearest man i thought it just makes it more floaty/lofty if you press R2 after it but will certainly give it a go.

take care

PLF said:
Thanks I'll try that mate but to be honest I didn't know this is a way to cross to nearest man i thought it just makes it more floaty/lofty if you press R2 after it but will certainly give it a go.

take care

I use config 3.

PLF, I've also experienced what you're describing. Firstly, I've found that the slightest touch of :circle: , usually gets it to the centre forward. But suprisingly on breakaways, when I'm 3 v 2 or 3 v 1, when crossing it goes wonky when it would have been easier for the AI to pick up the centre man.

Sometime using :l1: + :circle: works better sometimes not. Also :circle: :circle: , and :circle: :circle: :circle: not so effective in WE9. IN past versions a :circle: :circle: :circle: would be easy meat for my CF to put away, now often enough it bypasses everybody and zips thru to the opposite wing.

O yeah, and the 'loft' for crossing with :r2: is not so effective as it was in WE8:LE.

From the game manual it says, that pressing :circle: , send it to the furthest acttacker, pressing :circle: :circle: to the nearest attacker.
But in practice, it rarely pans out that way. It's more hit and hope.

But in a way its fun too, as there's no teling what will happen and enjoyable during multiplayer, where fighting for the ball and reacting is necessary. In Single palyer can get a bit frustating.

Cheers,

This is also related IMO:

I noticed that there is a sweet spot with regards to timing. Havent figured it out completely to give a clearer picture.

I noticed certain times, when I'm attacking down the sides I can use :triangle: to put a thru ball that goes across the box, which clears the defender pressing me and falls nicely to a breaking CF in the box.

Other times it tends to go too far forward into the keepers grasp. I am using the same player to try this out so player techinque is not a question.

I noticed in one of the training, there such an excercise. If you get the timing right, it'll go across nicely. If timing is late or early, it'll angle more sharply toward the keeper.

Maybe some of you could try this out too, and maybe can get a better picture.

Could it be a trigger, that a pass behaves differently depending whther an AI controlled palyer has made a run or not? This could be true for thru passes, since generally the CPU always decides the best angles.

Cheers

Hi Jiwa ;),

While I'm intersted in your theories about the low cross with triple :circle: or your way of putting a low ball ahead of your CF from wing by use of :triangle:, at the moment i'm more interested in what I explained above and unfortunately it seems to be a real problem.

Like you said:
From the game manual it says, that pressing , send it to the furthest acttacker, pressing to the nearest attacker.
But in practice, it rarely pans out that way. It's more hit and hope.

Unfortunately this seems to be a myth because in that situation I explained above whether I press one Circle or Double circle, it still goes to not my CF but the further player so my LWF or my RWF depending on which is crossing only at different TRAJECTORY levels.

So yes using simply one :circle: will get the ball at a more lofty and less paced way to furthest man while double tap still aims for further man only at lower height and more pace on it :(

PLF said:
Hi Jiwa ;),

While I'm intersted in your theories about the low cross with triple :circle: or your way of putting a low ball ahead of your CF from wing by use of :triangle:, at the moment i'm more interested in what I explained above and unfortunately it seems to be a real problem.

Like you said:

Unfortunately this seems to be a myth because in that situation I explained above whether I press one Circle or Double circle, it still goes to not my CF but the further player so my LWF or my RWF depending on which is crossing only at different TRAJECTORY levels.

So yes using simply one :circle: will get the ball at a more lofty and less paced way to furthest man while double tap still aims for further man only at lower height and more pace on it :(

As I said mate, It's hit and hope for now. I've not had much time to spend with the game the past couple of weeks. However based onpast plays, sometimes I can put it where I want,s ometime not. If it overhits, I usually use my furthest player to nod it back centrally.

BTW, what formation do you usually use. Whn I was using chelsea, with two wide palyers it was happening more often. With 2 CF with inward arrows and an OMF breaking thru the centre, happens less often.

Anyway, just my thoughts, have to find some time to sit down and dissect this before can give any more comments.

Cheers.

Hi guys, I think you all might try my style of playing,

set the crossing mode to 2,but the default one is OK,

look,let say we are attacking to the right of your TV,so the penalty area u attack is right ,

the penalty are maps to 9 direction , up doen left right,up left, up right, and so on, from there u can pick the location u intend to cross to.

for example if u want to cross to the the edge of the box,u can press :circle: and left...

so,if i want to cross to a FWD at near post,i just :circle: and down !!! u can press :r2: to add height but less power as said before in this forum.

usually works for me, plus the use of :r2: positioning,it is a simple yet effective and real technique !

try it

Well I have no problem winning or scoring headers wcj because i'm very good and totally understand the R2 positioning bit.

My only concern was that when I'm on right wing let's say, I had NO way of crossing the ball to my striker in near post.

So you say me pressing cross and then DOWN will make it go to near post? :shock:

If true, thank you very much mate. I'll defintely give it a try :D

Back
Top Bottom