curling and controlled shots

only1ronaldo

My Season My Style
4 August 2005
Real Madrid
I'd like to add some curl on freekicks, corners and such, but pressing -> or <- like in previous editions doesn't seem to work. How do I do it in WE9?

As for controlled shots, I don't have a clue when to use them :-s And when I get clear opportunity to shot I do that shot with holding :square: halfbar then :r2: and usually it goes wide 5metres higher or it's very weak groundshot.

So how do you use it? And when to be specific.

hm...When I want to add some curl to my freekicks, I just press -> or <- and it works, the ball curls where I want. I do not know why you cant do it. As for the R2 controled shot, I use it when my 6. sense tells me to use it :) there is no unique advice on when and how to use it. Maybe when you go with your striker on goal, and you try to shot, but from position from which is hard to score, like if you run to goal from your left or right wing. This is one situation. I am using it when I am heading direct to the goal, and if I see that there is no chance to score a regular goal, I fill the power bar to half, press R2 and my striker sends the ball in the top corner with style :)

not much, but hope it helps ;)

I still prefer the R1 shots though, or you can just press no button and just square and the direction!

i curl with d-pad.
i checked in training mode becouse i red as ^^ to curl with R1 or L1.

and i curl with right or left on d-pad

spoon71 said:
maybe R1 or L1 curls the ball on controled shot?
D pad - curls before the ball fly..
R1 and L1 after the shot. (only on free kicks).
the right anlog stick doesn't curl anymore (shame to konami).

I don't think that :L1: & :R1: curl the free kicks (not sure though), I think they just change where you aim the shot. It could be used to fool your opponent, but I don't know why you'd do that.

Sulph said:
Whats this Triangle and X thing on free kicks?

I've read that pressing Triangle or X during a freekick make the ball dive after the wall. I think it has the same effect as R2 used to.
But as I haven't the game yet, I haven't tested...

Last edited by a moderator:
The :l1: and :r1: thing is only in WE9.
If you hold :triangle: while shooting the FK it will have the effect that pressing up used to, and :circle: does the same thing that down used to.
I still haven't tested FK sufficiently but that's what I've found so far.

Last edited:
This L1/R1 thing doesnt make sense cuz if you bring in a second kicker, L1 controls that second player.

lumlum said:
I don't think that :L1: & :R1: curl the free kicks (not sure though), I think they just change where you aim the shot. It could be used to fool your opponent, but I don't know why you'd do that.

you might be right!
i red about this somewere...
i'll check and we'll find out ;)

i'm in training and nothing like that happens
or maybe you talking about crosses from FK?

if not say haw to do it and WE will check it

The following comments are about Freekicks only, and I may be wrong about them, since everyone has theories on freekicks and what works for each person. By the way, I haven't tried the controlled shots yet... Well then, back to the freekicks, wasn't R1 supposed to be a "hard/strong" shot, with more power but less curling? I always hold R1 when I take Freekicks from distances greater than 30m... If I remember correctly, R2 is used for softer shots with lots of curl. Well, that's the way I play it. Oh, and curl using the D-Pad.

in exechange of R1 is TRIANGLE now.
for R2 is X, but in some ways R2 works little diffrent. it is use full but a lil' less.

If you press R1 with a free kick doesnt it make your player drive it towards goal, whereas if you press R2, its a weaker more accurate shot? this was the case for PES4/WE8 anyway.

is no more the case for WE9 :) L1 for the ball to go left. R1 is the other side.

how do i take difrent types of freekicks i mean in we8 you have to press select then make a shor pass with r3 do the player, how is the combination now?

acillatem said:
how do i take difrent types of freekicks i mean in we8 you have to press select then make a shor pass with r3 do the player, how is the combination now?

do you have WE9?
if not: stay calm and do not teoretizaite on stuff like what i will be pushing when i gonna have free kick...

if yes: go to training mode, check PES 5 manual, and then ask if you still don't get it...

about controlled shots I still have my doubts:

1) Does it only work if you hold R2 AFTER square while the gauge is filling?

2) Or does it also work if you are already holding R2 when pressing square? (cause sometimes those shots also seem "controlled", specially when near the keeper)

Mauras said:
about controlled shots I still have my doubts:

1) Does it only work if you hold R2 AFTER square while the gauge is filling?

2) Or does it also work if you are already holding R2 when pressing square? (cause sometimes those shots also seem "controlled", specially when near the keeper)

i think it works when u prass right after and when you holding it

Back
Top Bottom