David Beckham joins LA Galaxy

£128 million, five year contract. :roll:

In my opinion this is a huge waste of talent. Has he lost the passion for the game, because he wont find it in America. Lets make no bones about it, this is all about brand Beckham.

dollar-sign.jpg

Chi-ching!!

• Staff
I love his quote, "I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football" (Man Utd and Real Madrid) - you can almost hear him thinking "shame I've got to go to LA Galaxy now but FINALLY I'll have enough money to build that gold-plated football pitch I've always wanted"... Seriously though, if I was part of the board at LA Galaxy, I would be a bit peeved with that comment.

I'm sure his reason will be that the kids in the US are really into their football, and that he wants to be over there to become a coach and nuture all their talent, but it seems really, really odd. He still has something to give as a player, and you'd have thought he would have wanted to remain in European competition. I was looking forward to seeing him in the Premiership somewhere and on Match Of The Day again - no matter what you say about the guy, the technical ability he has with his set-pieces is fantastic. But there you go. I really do hope that he raises the profile of the MLS.

This whole thing has really shocked me though! :shock:

Last edited:
He wants to be the face of American 'Soccer'. Thats fine, but one player joining the MLS is not going to raise its frankly awful standard of Football.

He has obviously turned to the dark side and finally gone fully commercial.

stop it guys . I mean what's shocking here ? usa or the gulf it's the same . when you have played in top clubs and know you wont be for long you have to choose the best contract for the remaining time .
where do you want him to go ? norwich ? fc tubize ? olympic marseille ?
and stop despising other countrie's football . they aren't playing with square balls there .

500,000 a week?! Someone over there is really taking the piss. No wonder there was no interest here if that's the kind of money he was after

For a guy who kicks a ball in a straight line, and that's about it, he's got to be the luckiest players alive. His PR company does wonders. If you tell me for one instance that he moved due to football reasonings, pull the other one. Signing for Galaxy is like the MLS signing him to raise the profile of their own game.

Let Galaxy now put up with the bullshit of where to play a one trick pony... "ummm centre is best, uhhh, i love the quarterback position, ummm no, i like to play winger... uh... no... i just want to sit out this game as i'm sick..."

One things for sure, he really will be playing for Mickey Mouse cups now.

Good riddance to a shite footballer, shite captain, shite spokesman, but brilliant commercial icon.

Last edited:
the good part is that we won't see beckham's face requests anymore .
but maybe there will requests about la galaxy's kit :lol:

ok well the quality of MLS is not as bad as some of you clowns think recent results have DC United smashing Celtic 4-0, tying Madrid 1-1, beating Chelski 1-0, and other decent results. Yes this was european off season and MLS regular season, but still. I agree MLS is not of the quality of League 1, Prem, La liga or Seire A, or Everdise top flight. But definatley on Par with the other major leagues. Granted it doesnt quite have the passion as the european leagues. The 128 million being reported is from british press, which as we all know lie on a constant basis. So i doubt that is the actual fee. That fee is probably more then all of the teams combinend in the league, it screams bullshit.

stop it guys . I mean what's shocking here ? usa or the gulf it's the same . when you have played in top clubs and know you wont be for long you have to choose the best contract for the remaining time .
where do you want him to go ? norwich ? fc tubize ? olympic marseille ?
and stop despising other countrie's football . they aren't playing with square balls there .
you cant even compare the gulf to the US. Its totally different. Its actually a horrible comparison. The intrest in MLS is growing each year, and the prospect of playing football in america is probably alot more appealing to europeans and south americans, then playing in a countries where there are fatawhs condeming playing the game all together(as there is in Saudi Arabia). Pogoss is right about the football thought, its not as bad as you guys are making it out to be, weather your in the gulf or the states.

£128 million, five year contract. :roll:

In my opinion this is a huge waste of talent. Has he lost the passion for the game, because he wont find it in America. Lets make no bones about it, this is all about brand Beckham.
there is passion here, its just not with every club.

The 128 million being reported is from british press, which as we all know lie on a constant basis. So i doubt that is the actual fee. That fee is probably more then all of the teams combinend in the league, it screams bullshit.
I doubt this is false to be honest. He turned down a two year contract extension with Madrid as well as offers from other top clubs. Why? because of the vast amount of money being chucked at him. If you think there is any other reason he is going to the MLS you are sadly deluded. I don't want to insult the MLS, there is growing participation in 'soccer' over there all the time. But does that translate to the MLS itself. How often do the small 'Soccer' stadiums over there sell out each week. Bringing David Beckham over may create interest in the short term, but after that dies down what is the point. How on earth is he going to pay back the money he will earn, it isn't going to happen. LA Galaxy have bought into an idea that will backfire IMO.

For a guy who kicks a ball in a straight line, and that's about it, he's got to be the luckiest players alive. His PR company does wonders. If you tell me for one instance that he moved due to football reasonings, pull the other one. Signing for Galaxy is like the MLS signing him to raise the profile of their own game.

Let Galaxy now put up with the bullshit of where to play a one trick pony... "ummm centre is best, uhhh, i love the quarterback position, ummm no, i like to play winger... uh... no... i just want to sit out this game as i'm sick..."

One things for sure, he really will be playing for Mickey Mouse cups now.

Good riddance to a shite footballer, shite captain, shite spokesman, but brilliant commercial icon.

Well said my brother :D

Fair play to him really, football is basically about money these days.. cant argue with him for doing it.

he's apparently gonna be playing in central midfield, which is where he cannot play, but I suppose with it being the MLS, then it doesn't matter.

who do you reckon will get the TV deal to show MLS games over here? I'd watch it, even if it is shit

ok... so... there are people all over the world starving and dying of disease... and.. beckhams earning (apparently) 50 mil a year...to take free kicks?...

there truly is no justice in the world. im disgusted to have such a money grubbing cunt associated with the english nationality.

cashley, step aside. you're nothing on becks.

I seriously think that in retrospect this can prove to be one of the best things that ever happened to football.
Stop being patronizing and looking down on USA football.
This can have the same effect as Pele going to New York Cosmos. Other players like Chinaglia, Krol, Beckenbauer, Muller and Cruijff followed him.
By now the USA have learned from the mistakes they made in the 70's.
Every big sports needs to be popular in the USA. They way the Americans run their sports should be an example for football I've said this countless times: there is no fair competition in football. There is fair competition in USA sports (salary cap, draft,...).
Beckham is not as good a player as Pele (nobody is, nobody was and nobody ever will be), but he has much more worldwide appeal than Pele.
In 10 years football will be thankfull to Beckham and just face it real Madrid is a shite team...

Well its also his wife whose been pressuring him. American contracts tend to be quite high in many of their sports. And if it was the only way to tempt Beckham.

Dont see why people are so pissed at him. He wasnt a regular at Real, barely played, not necessarily popular. He wants first team football, and they were offering that + money.

you cant even compare the gulf to the US. Its totally different. Its actually a horrible comparison. The intrest in MLS is growing each year, and the prospect of playing football in america is probably alot more appealing to europeans and south americans, then playing in a countries where there are fatawhs condeming playing the game all together(as there is in Saudi Arabia). Pogoss is right about the football thought, its not as bad as you guys are making it out to be, weather your in the gulf or the states.

sorry mate, but i don't understand. what's so horrible in this comparison? it looks quite normal to me to compare theese 2 leagues. i mean, usa and saudi arabia football championships are both 2 rising football leagues wich really improved in the last years also by buying old european and african top players.

The intrest in MLS is growing each year

so in saudi arabia.

the prospect of playing football in america is probably alot more appealing to europeans

well mate, u probably would be shocked if i tell u how many great players went in saudi arabia..
here is Al-ittihad list:
babangida
kallon
mboma
donadoni
bucker
acimovic
bebeto
.... and this is just talking about one team. Hierro, effemberg, batistuta, signori, and many more other players went in saudi arabia :)

its not as bad as you guys are making it out to be, weather your in the gulf or the states.

when i compare arabian and usa football leagues i don't mean that mls is shit. I'm just comparing 2 respectable championship which are growing (talking about quality and "image") ;)

p.s. there's one last thing that gives an idea of how much theese 2 leagues are comparable: luis figo (ex-real madrid, like becks..... and side-midfielder, like becks) is going to al-ittihad this summer :)

Oh yeah, the salary cap that just got broke with Beckham's ridiculous contract. ;)

I was talking about the "regular" USA sports...
And by the way i'm quite sure that what Beckhalmearns in the USA is peanuts compared to the stars of American sports like Tiger Woods, Shaquille O' Neal ,...
There is a salary cap in NBA but most NBA stars earn much more than the best payed football players...

And by the way i'm quite sure that what Beckhalmearns in the USA is peanuts compared to the stars of American sports like Tiger Woods, Shaquille O' Neal ,...
There is a salary cap in NBA but most NBA stars earn much more than the best payed football players...
Yes thats what I thought. The amount that some American Football and Baseball players earn is enormous. Basketball is not far behind either. These sums of money dwarf the pittances that European footballers earn. :roll:

But MLS stars earn nowhere near that amount of money. Because 'Soccer' is a nothing sport compared to the rest. I have read that LA Galaxy captain Landon Donovan gets just over $1,000,000 a season. This is chicken feed as new team mate Becks will be earning about $50,000,000 in comparison. To be honest it takes the piss. And I doubt new team mates will respect this. Because Beckham is definitely not worth that kind of money.

Back
Top Bottom