Dead Island

Finally got round to finishing this, generally I really enjoyed it despite all its problems. It's a bug ridden mess but also very good fun!

Im still on the initial beach resort. I heard u get different areas later are they better and is there many?

I think ill skip side missions also but its good to get xp

Im still on the initial beach resort. I heard u get different areas later are they better and is there many?

I think ill skip side missions also but its good to get xp

Yeah there are several new places on the island you need to travel to, such as the city, which ramps up the difficulty considerably. It's worth doing as many side missions as you can until you can unlock the attack moves that you want from the upgrades list. I managed to unlock some of the attack moves from the middle tree in the upgrades screen, which transformed the game from crazy hard to manageable, so it's worth doing.

Also, make sure you get the sledgehammer you unlock doing some of the main missions in the city. It's the best weapon IMO.

With a bit of practice and a lot of luck, it was possible to obtain very rare weapons. The names of these were always preceded by a descriptive word, eg. Wonderful Shuriken, Spectacular Shotgun, Magnificent Penknife.

A few months after starting the game, with said practice and luck I came across the finest weapon I have ever used in any video game. A Wazikashi, the ancient Japanese sword, this rare and enhanced version aptly described as a 'Devastating Wazikashi'.
Within minutes I'd amassed nearly 100 kills. This thing cut through zombies like a knife through shit. The unbridled joy I felt as I despatched my rotting assailants with ease was matched only when a quick Google searched revealed that the weapon was so rare it had possibly only been used by 5 people on the planet.

I was beginning to feel untouchable. I completed the story using mainly the sword, and continued playing. Zombies, Thugs, Butchers, Rams. None of them were any match for my Devastating Wazikashi.

Then one fateful day, it happened. I was wandering around a coastal area of the game and had paused to enjoy the idyllic scenery for a mere 2 seconds. 2 seconds that transformed my life irrevocably. In that time, all hell broke loose. I was ambushed by swathes of the undead, their bloodthirsty eyes glowing red with rage and intent. I despatched the first wave with ease but more followed.
I had always followed just one rule while playing the game (and in real life); never throw rare weapons at your enemies. They might be retrievable in some circumstances, but nothing is guaranteed. In a split second of sheer panic, I broke my own rule and hurled the weapon into the onrushing crowd.

After seeing off the remaining horde, I hastily looked for the dropped sword. Nothing. I searched corpses, cars, sand, sea and shrubbery. Still nothing. With each passing second my heart sunk a bit further as I realised I might never recover the weapon. Minutes, hours, and days passed with no success. As a last resort, I tried leaving and reloading the game and began the search again. 3 years and 4 days later I officially called the search off and began to come to terms with the loss.

I continued to play the game and also invested in it's sequel Dead Island: Riptide. Wonderful times, but deep down I knew things would never be the same.

So with Dead Island consigned to my gaming history, where is the sword now? Perhaps it was lost forever in the game's code. Maybe it is being used to unleash carnage by myself or someone else in an alternate universe. Or maybe it is reading this post and laughing, perhaps with the same sentimental tear in it's eye.

Things had come full circle. The Devastating Wazikashi which had been used to unleash so much devastation on my enemies, had devastated one last person - me. Only to disappear and perhaps never return. Many games, consoles and weapons will be used and forgotten over the years. But my Devastating Wazikashi is one thing that will live in my gaming memory forever.

Last edited:
With a bit of practice and a lot of luck, it was possible to obtain very rare weapons. The names of these were always preceded by a descriptive word, eg. Wonderful Shuriken, Spectacular Shotgun, Magnificent Penknife.

A few months after starting the game, with said practice and luck I came across the finest weapon I have ever used in any video game. A Wazikashi, the ancient Japanese sword, this rare and enhanced version aptly described as a 'Devastating Wazikashi'.
Within minutes I'd amassed nearly 100 kills. This thing cut through zombies like a knife through shit. The unbridled joy I felt as I despatched my rotting assailants with ease was matched only when a quick Google searched revealed that the weapon was so rare it had possibly only been used by 5 people on the planet.

I was beginning to feel untouchable. I completed the story using mainly the sword, and continued playing. Zombies, Thugs, Butchers, Rams. None of them were any match for my Devastating Wazikashi.

Then one fateful day, it happened. I was wandering around a coastal area of the game and had paused to enjoy the idyllic scenery for a mere 2 seconds. 2 seconds that transformed my life irrevocably. In that time, all hell broke loose. I was ambushed by swathes of the undead, their bloodthirsty eyes glowing red with rage and intent. I despatched the first wave with ease but more followed.
I had always followed just one rule while playing the game (and in real life); never throw rare weapons at your enemies. They might be retrievable in some circumstances, but nothing is guaranteed. In a split second of sheer panic, I broke my own rule and hurled the weapon into the onrushing crowd.

After seeing off the remaining horde, I hastily looked for the dropped sword. Nothing. I searched corpses, cars, sand, sea and shrubbery. Still nothing. With each passing second my heart sunk a bit further as I realised I might never recover the weapon. Minutes, hours, and days passed with no success. As a last resort, I tried leaving and reloading the game and began the search again. 3 years and 4 days later I officially called the search off and began to come to terms with the loss.

I continued to play the game and also invested in it's sequel Dead Island: Riptide. Wonderful times, but deep down I knew things would never be the same.

So with Dead Island consigned to my gaming history, where is the sword now? Perhaps it was lost forever in the game's code. Maybe it is being used to unleash carnage by myself or someone else in an alternate universe. Or maybe it is reading this post and laughing, perhaps with the same sentimental tear in it's eye.

Things had come full circle. The Devastating Wazikashi which had been used to unleash so much devastation on my enemies, had devastated one last person - me. Only to disappear and perhaps never return. Many games, consoles and weapons will be used and forgotten over the years. But my Devastating Wazikashi is one thing that will live in my gaming memory forever.
So you are saying, between the lines, I should finally get the complete edition for under 10 bucks (psn offer right now)?!
Had an eye on that title for years now....

So you are saying, between the lines, I should finally get the complete edition for under 10 bucks (psn offer right now)?!
Had an eye on that title for years now....

Yes Pro, excellent value.

Not sure why someone above described it as a 'bug ridden mess' either, it had some problems on it's release day but they were corrected by patches almost immediately. No issues for me

Yes Pro, excellent value.

Not sure why someone above described it as a 'bug ridden mess' either, it had some problems on it's release day but they were corrected by patches almost immediately. No issues for me
Just bought the definitive edition for 7,99 Euro. Can’t be that bad for 8 bucks, right?! ;)

Will download and slaughter tonight! :)

Oh boy. :BLINK:

Is the frame rate getting any better in act 2?!

I’m playing on PS4 pro but this game is struggling. This is not even 30 FPS. It feels like it’s going down to 20 sometimes. You can’t turn around without stuttering (at the beach).

Anything I’m missing? If not, Ill be asking for a refund.

Disappointing.

Last edited:
Oh boy. :BLINK:

Is the frame rate getting any better in act 2?!

I’m playing on PS4 pro but this game is struggling. This is not even 30 FPS. It feels like it’s going down to 20 sometimes. You can’t turn around without stuttering (at the beach).

Anything I’m missing? If not, Ill be asking for a refund.

Disappointing.

No problems for me on a standard ps3 or standard ps4 m8. Have you tried messing with the settings.

No problems for me on a standard ps3 or standard ps4 m8. Have you tried messing with the settings.
on ps4 there is only a brightness option, afaik.
i ask sony for a refund, deleted the game.

my time ain't worth bothering with stuff like this. same with the Mafia II Def. Edition... fps drops. i'm waiting.

Back
Top Bottom