Death Stranding

The more I see of actual gameplay, the worse this looks. I think I would rather just watch the cut-scenes as a movie, extremely long as it now doubt is.

Here is Giant Bomb's take on the long stream, but be warned, some of them are fairly down on it

I think that this is going to be "peak" Hideo. Sony have basically let him create a game that he wants without any real constraints.

It is going to be marmite game in that people who "get" him will love it whereas others will be just be plain baffled or bored by it.

It's not looking much interesting. But I'll hold my judgement until I play the game.

It seems to be similar to Seaman on Sega Dreamcast where you have to take your time to finish the game.

https://amp.theguardian.com/games/2...-pc-kojima-gameplay?__twitter_impression=true
Jesus this review paints some absolutely brilliant game. I know games like this are not for everyone, but that exactly the type I love. Slow, vast, focused on survival and struggle..
I wasnt convinced about buying it, but after reading this - I will jump in with both feet. Week to go.
Exactly my thoughts, it sounds like something I'd enjoy a lot. Makes a change from the cookie cutter games we constantly get these days.

Kinda weird how there was so much build up for this game and then nothing since its out. Anyone played it? Any thoughts?
Apparently, due to my absolute minimum life demands, Santa is bringing me this for Xmas, so I should have few words in the nearest future.

First Impression:

About 2hrs in - Prologue and first proper mission done.
I wanted to play something with a story and - oh boy - a story I got!
Long story short - I've no idea whats going on, but its great. :LOL:

I was trying to avoid any spoilers up to its release and they dont explain much when you start. You are being thrown straight into delivery mission with some creepy stuff chasing you.

Apart from very interesting story, where you really want to learn WTF happened to the world, two things hit me from the get go.

1. Music.
Music is absolutely stunning, but its not there all the time. It triggers at random moments, with camera usually zooming out to show more of the world, while you travel. Some say they wish music was there all the time. I have to say - I love it the way it is.
It somewhat emphasize how small you are in this big, lonely world.
Its almost like they need you to stay focused for most of your journey and all moments, where music kicks in, are your moments of rest. Moments, where you can just switch off for the moment, like driving a car on a long distance.

2. Helplessness
This world is filled with some unknown horrors, some of you cant even see. There's death everywhere and even all the beautiful landscapes around you are somewhat creepy, due to lack of life.
You are not a typical Resident Evil, or Red Dead Hero. You are delivery guy. Every encounter with "monsters" is you just trying to survive, not fight back.
When you know they are close, but cant see them and when you are trying to hide behind a rock, holding your breath (yes - you can hold your breath when they are nearby) - thats when the real tension builds up.

Looking forward to see more.

First Impression:

About 2hrs in - Prologue and first proper mission done.
I wanted to play something with a story and - oh boy - a story I got!
Long story short - I've no idea whats going on, but its great. :LOL:

I was trying to avoid any spoilers up to its release and they dont explain much when you start. You are being thrown straight into delivery mission with some creepy stuff chasing you.

Apart from very interesting story, where you really want to learn WTF happened to the world, two things hit me from the get go.

1. Music.
Music is absolutely stunning, but its not there all the time. It triggers at random moments, with camera usually zooming out to show more of the world, while you travel. Some say they wish music was there all the time. I have to say - I love it the way it is.
It somewhat emphasize how small you are in this big, lonely world.
Its almost like they need you to stay focused for most of your journey and all moments, where music kicks in, are your moments of rest. Moments, where you can just switch off for the moment, like driving a car on a long distance.

2. Helplessness
This world is filled with some unknown horrors, some of you cant even see. There's death everywhere and even all the beautiful landscapes around you are somewhat creepy, due to lack of life.
You are not a typical Resident Evil, or Red Dead Hero. You are delivery guy. Every encounter with "monsters" is you just trying to survive, not fight back.
When you know they are close, but cant see them and when you are trying to hide behind a rock, holding your breath (yes - you can hold your breath when they are nearby) - thats when the real tension builds up.

Looking forward to see more.

Hey Em,
So...?
I'm debating myself whether to get this one or not.
I'm not much into fighting/shooting games. I love good story-driven and decision-making type of games. I finished Detroit Become Human over a week ago and it's definitely one of the best (if not the best) game I've ever played. So much so, I'm planning on playing it again in about a month.

I would love to know more of your own experience with this one.

I'd love to know more myself, but Im knee deep in Elder Scrolls Online now..
There was nothing wrong wrong with Death Stranding and Im definitely going back to it. ESO is just satisfying the hunger I had for years, since I left WoW.

One thing I can say - Death Stranding doesnt seems to have any decisions to be made. At least story driven wise. I havent seen any dialog options there. Its more like a vision to be witnessed. Only decisions I had to make there so far were to choose the right path to get to my destination.
And its a slow burner, so you'll have to be in the right mood to immerse yourself there properly.

I'd love to know more myself, but Im knee deep in Elder Scrolls Online now..
There was nothing wrong wrong with Death Stranding and Im definitely going back to it. ESO is just satisfying the hunger I had for years, since I left WoW.

One thing I can say - Death Stranding doesnt seems to have any decisions to be made. At least story driven wise. I havent seen any dialog options there. Its more like a vision to be witnessed. Only decisions I had to make there so far were to choose the right path to get to my destination.
And its a slow burner, so you'll have to be in the right mood to immerse yourself there properly.

Hey Em,
So...?
I'm debating myself whether to get this one or not.
I'm not much into fighting/shooting games. I love good story-driven and decision-making type of games. I finished Detroit Become Human over a week ago and it's definitely one of the best (if not the best) game I've ever played. So much so, I'm planning on playing it again in about a month.

So guys any update? :D I also read the gameplay is kinda dividing and the playthrough is about 50-60 hours (stretched gametime for the sake of being long is a huge negative for me if thats the case). However the story and writing, acting is top notch, Kojima's prime.
So im on the fence if i should buy this or just watch a playthrough of the cutscenes during the evenings.

Thoughts?

Also i really hope one day Kojima gets to produce movies.

@gabe.paul.logan - its a very slow burner. If you have a lot of time and if you are willing to focus on one game for longer - id say its worth to get.
But if you like to jump between games - i wouldnt recommend it. Its very difficult to get back into once you lose connection with it. Im not even half way through and im finding it very difficult to continue. Games like RdR2, or GTA, or even a Witcher - once you remind yourself all the controls - you're sorta back in.
In here - story is everything. Its hard to start "feeling" the story again after a break.

@gabe.paul.logan - its a very slow burner. If you have a lot of time and if you are willing to focus on one game for longer - id say its worth to get.
But if you like to jump between games - i wouldnt recommend it. Its very difficult to get back into once you lose connection with it. Im not even half way through and im finding it very difficult to continue. Games like RdR2, or GTA, or even a Witcher - once you remind yourself all the controls - you're sorta back in.
In here - story is everything. Its hard to start "feeling" the story again after a break.

Not the answer i was looking for to be honest :D Saving it for my retirement days.

Well at least Kojima is toning down the sequel, nothing weird going on here at all

Ha. I love Kojima. At least he's trying to do something different, Most games are just a game you've seen before with a new skin. Yeah you don't always know wtf is going on, but I feel you aren't meant to, it's more a vibe, a feeling, that's what it's about. Like a painting doesn't explain everything to you, it just is and you get a reaction from it, or don't.

Most excited about the new espionage game announcement.

Good from a gameplay point of view? I really dont care for story, mostly for gameplay/ gameplay loop. Hard to get into or too difficult?
It's a tough one, pal.
I still haven't finished.
The game for me was a mixture of some awesome things but also terrible ones.
Gameplay loop is not too bad, depends really what you are looking for.
I have seen a lot of people building motorways, ziplines across half of the world and upgrading motorbike and stuff, but I thought it was destroying the entire concept of this game.
I personally stuck to most primitive tools like ladders and ropes and traverse the wilderness as it was.... Meant(?) To be.
It's strangely relaxing if you take your time.

But

I'm a huge fan of exploration and after a while the world started to feel very samey and boring.
I was missing different biomes, forests, snow, desert. I know there are snowy mountains further in the story, but I never got there.

I always thought the game had huge potential, but couldn't really make up its mind what it wanted to be.

Combat was shite, exploration was meh (due to the same landscape all the time), story was weird as fuck and as much as it was fun to traverse (especially with awesome haptic feedback on PS5) - at some point you were asking yourself wtf am I doing..

Back
Top Bottom