Defending is different in WE9...questions

Yeh I was surprised when everyone was complaining about the fouls in this game! they have been improved so much since WE8:LE....for me the ref hardly gives a yellow card-I just finished my first season of ML and I had 3 yellow cards all in!

I find defending much easier in WE9 than in previous versions:)well done Konami!

Negatrev said:
The defending IS the same for you and the CPU. It's just the CPU understands how to time and angle the challenge where you don't YET. Just because t looks like the CPU is doing the equivalent of holding down X, doesn't mean they are. You need to time your challenge right and attack from just the right angle. Most of the time the CPU used to knock me off the ball was because, as they made their challenge I'd turn to go round them, so with me off-balance on the turn, they would do a fiar shoulder-barge and win the ball. I was just running headlong into them, front back or side, if you run at them, you'll foul them. As I say time and again (broken record here), you need to change the way you defend, watch the play more carefully. You will get the way it's working now.

Well said Negatrev. Defending not a big problem to me.

Playing with the wide cam its quite difficult to view the subtler animations when dribbling/defending. I'm saying this beacause a lot of us here are saying things like the CPU is unfair etc.etc. The animations for the 'steal' as in :x: and shoulder :r2: + dir are almost similiar when viewed from wide cam. What looks like the CPU stealing it's actually barging you off the ball.

Basically if your're coming form the side, use a shoulder charge or slide. If from the front, use :x: but if you leave your foot in, and the CPU continues running, it's a trip and foul. This is usally how most of us give awa freekicks. It IS realistic, as a lot of these are given away in real life too.

As long as you are aware of covering the passing lanes, the CPU will pass it about and make a mistake and your player orAI will intercept quite frequently. The key is to GUESS what the CPU is going to do, and with the new manualness of controls move at the right moment to intercept.

I said AI, because some players have that new special ability that allows them to win more 50/50 balls. Forgot what its called since my game isn't atched. But it was mentioned in one of the PSM2 preview. It's there and thses players sort of auto-defend in tight quarters. 'Emerson', 'Viera' etc.

If you must, on fast breakaways use the slide tackle. But the slide distance is shorter than WE8LE, so get close befor you commit. IMO, sometimes, you're not carded or penalised for sliding on the wings as opposed to the centre. If I have a top striker breaking, and he's been causing me problems this game, I'd get a burly DF of mine to send him flying. Hoping he'll pick up an injury too.

Cheers.

jiwa said:
As long as you are aware of covering the passing lanes, the CPU will pass it about and make a mistake and your player orAI will intercept quite frequently. The key is to GUESS what the CPU is going to do, and with the new manualness of controls move at the right moment to intercept.
Fine post, Jiwa :)
I like to pick this quote from it, because this part will be so much easier when man-mark.
Why does nobody commenting on my man-marking post from the last page? It was the discovery of the day :)
I am sure Konami has improved this part, just because they changed the whole defending-system. Maybe Konami wanted to make man-marking more important, because it wasn't used very much in previous versions. This in contrast to real football, where man-marking plays an important role in football-tactics...

will give that a try later Han, however i have to say my defending isnt my weak spot at the moment, attack is difficult and i still havent found the right formation/settings yet aswell as getting used to the timing and balance

Man Marking isn't used by all tacticians in real life though Han. I'll try out your suggestion later but it's errorprone in reality and if the players aren't up to it the game should reflect that by allowing us to break on inexperienced and poor covering defenders - but it doesn't.

Best way to do it is if you have one attacker against two defenders, so that you can use the spare defender to cover. Don't forget the cover setting when you try it; it's important to cover the space ;)
I agree, not always is man-marking used in real life, but real good defenders like Nesta or Stam, for instance are often used to mark...

Back
Top Bottom