Defensive tips

KJK1LL3R

League 2
1 April 2005
Could people please post some good defensive tips for WE10 because it makes me want to stop playing WE10 altogether! Konami have made a right pigs ear of this game IMO!

You just need to learn how to defend yourself nowadays, which is actually quite rewarding.

Defend like you would in reality. Back off the players, close off passing opportunities, let them run out of ideas and move in for the ball when they have nowhere to run. :)

yeah hes right, and it pisses me off to no end. I end up running for the ball like a fool then i get so pissed off i switch it off.

i have to be in THE mood, it requires concretration :(

EDIT: I love the game though, it was so rewarding winning the world cup with Ghana :)

kevano22 said:
yeah hes right, and it pisses me off to no end. I end up running for the ball like a fool then i get so pissed off i switch it off.

i have to be in THE mood, it requires concretration :(

EDIT: I love the game though, it was so rewarding winning the world cup with Ghana :)

I know what you mean. The first few times I played WE10 I tried agressive defending like in WE8LE, WE9. The ballhandler would then blow by me, creating a good goal scoring opportunity. No longer can you chase the ball down like a madman, especially considering how fast offensive players are in WE10. Players will either run right by you or pass into the open space you have left opened. Now I guard more realistically. I stay way off the ballhandler and try to cut down passing lanes, only closing in when necessary or when I/m not vunerable.

In my experience most people defending have a tendency to hold:r1: and try and defend but a quick feint by the attacker and your defender is in knots. The best way i have found is just back off hold :square: and allow others to press then you find the attacking player in a hurry to pass the ball leaving your defender to pick up the loose pass

Is manual cursor speed the most effective method? so you guys just back off with the d-pad & wait for the right moment? or do u use R2 when backing off?

Yes manual is the most effective. You have more control. You don't need to use :r2: when backing off in WE10, because it is automatic. Once the ballhandler gets a certain distance to the defender you are controlling he will automatically start side stepping.

Urbanspy is right about :r1: when defending. It's difficult for your defender to recover and switch directions, as it would be in real life. I try to defend just using d-pad/analog stick and use :r1: to catch up. Don't mash :r1: . Tap it several times, just in cae the ballhander stops or changes speed. Once I'm closer I rely on d-pad/analog. That way you can mark the ballhandler when he feints or switches directions. You're also in good position to block shots and passes.

Early on I used :square: often to bring another defender in while I controlled a defender closer to goal, but eventually found marking the ballhander myself more effective. It just takes practice and concentration. Once lapse in concentration and the attack is on. That makes the game more exiting, but can be frustrating if you don't sustain your focus. I still use :square: in some cercumstances, especially if under a counter-attack and my players aren't back far enough. I will then switch between my defenders who are in front of the ball, moving them back and into better position. At the same time I will press :square: making a defender behind the ballhandler sprint up to defend him

Ultimately, to be a good defender you have to learn all the different techniques. With more practice the game seems to slow down and you are able to cover the pitch better. It just takes some time to adapt to the gameplay in WE10, especially if WE9 was the last version you played. At first I was a bit dissapointed in WE10, but know I can't get enough, especially with the World Cup going on. :)

Last edited:
i think its gay the way when you press square, it brings a player over, like a midfielder, or an attacker. It doesnt always choose a good man to bring across :S

Golden Go@l said:
Yes manual is the most effective. You have more control.

No, it's not ;)

There are situations in which you would like to have quicker control of a certain player. I played PES5 with four squares on. Now I play WE10 with two squares on. I have more control, but in those tricky situations the AI sometimes just picks out the right guy at just the right time and it prevents the CPU or a human from scoring.

With all manual you have TOO much control IMHO and you tend to be late too late on some occasions.

I agree. You can feel more in control with the cursor on manual, but it does not necessarily mean that you have the best control. If you play on one or two bars, then it means that in critical situations the AI will choose a correct player for you.

I haven't tried using any bars for cursor speed in WE10 because I didn't like it in WE8LE and WE9, and assumed it would be the same. Maybe they improved it a bit in WE10. I'll give it a try. :)

how come now in this game in all of the default formations, the defenders are positioned way outside their own box? If you look at the formation screen you can see that all the defenders are pushed outside their own box. Also i used to set the team back line to C so that my defenders would stay deep but now that no longer seems to happen in WE10. Could someone create an advaced formations thread like there is for PES games on pesinsight forums? That thread really helped me improve my game in the PES series! Would this be a possibility on this forum for WE series?

You can edit position of your players, and put your defender down low.

Yes but i dont notice that it makes any difference! Your A.I team mates run about like a bunch of headless chickens!

KJK1LL3R said:
how come now in this game in all of the default formations, the defenders are positioned way outside their own box? If you look at the formation screen you can see that all the defenders are pushed outside their own box. Also i used to set the team back line to C so that my defenders would stay deep but now that no longer seems to happen in WE10. Could someone create an advaced formations thread like there is for PES games on pesinsight forums? That thread really helped me improve my game in the PES series! Would this be a possibility on this forum for WE series?

To answer your first question: in all honesty; I haven't noticed that really in ALL of the default formations.

I think you want your defenders to stay back. My experience in WE10 is that when I set back line to C, defenders actually stay back and they hold their defensive positions with quite a lot of discipline. I feel that back line at C is too defensive now. For me they stay too far back and leave too much space for creative attackers/ midfielders to exploit. That's why I set it to B or A when playing against a human, depending on their playing style. Or A all the way against the CPU, because I find that the CPU doesn't have this killer through pass humans do have ;)

Maybe you should create the 'advanced formations' thread yourself and become evo-web's own JMZ :D! I think it is a good idea. There is, not my knowledge, a specific WE thread here on evo-web that only deals with 'in-depth-WE10-formation-and-tactics-talk'.

When you've created it, I'll post in your thread my very succesful tactic against humans, a 4-3-3, with back line on A/B and offside trap on B!

Cheers, mate ;)

Does anybody know how to make your defence stay deep at all times? In previous PES/WE games I just set back line to "C" but I have tested all the different back line settings from "A" to "C" & my defenders are always pushed up extremely high to the half-way line! I also gave them backwards arrows & made them have high defensive mentality yet they always push up to the halfway line! Could my offside trap settings have anything to do with it or is it just the way this game is? I desperately hope that PES6 brings back the old defensive style from PES5! The "Line Press" and "Counter Attack" settings should also be brought back in PES6!

lil_ray_man said:
I agree. You can feel more in control with the cursor on manual, but it does not necessarily mean that you have the best control.

I totally agree with you here, against AI I do use "manual" though - since you get used to the AI movements you can predict them easier. But when playing against friends I don't use manual, things are moving lot faster. (but that also has to do with the widescreen/100hz tv issue)

Could someone please tell me what are the best and worst backline & offside trap settings e.g. A,B or C

Defending is fine no more just chasing around....... what I can't get to grips with is defending corners and FK's in the air, my defenders will not jump to win a ball or just miss the ball even though they are infront of the striker and bang on head the bloody thing... 95% of all goals against come from corners.. I've tried everything!!

KJK1LL3R said:
Does anybody know how to make your defence stay deep at all times? In previous PES/WE games I just set back line to "C" but I have tested all the different back line settings from "A" to "C" & my defenders are always pushed up extremely high to the half-way line! I also gave them backwards arrows & made them have high defensive mentality yet they always push up to the halfway line! Could my offside trap settings have anything to do with it or is it just the way this game is? I desperately hope that PES6 brings back the old defensive style from PES5! The "Line Press" and "Counter Attack" settings should also be brought back in PES6!

It could very well be the offside trap settings thats bringing up your defensive line too high, or it could be the actual positioning of your back line.

I'm some of the default formations the back 4 are positioned very high up the pitch, sometimes the wing backs are up on the half way line its that bad. That formation might work well and good if your chasing the game and need a goal, but for a default starting formation it rubbish. Your full backs will get caught out on numerous occasions, which is so frustrating.

If nothing else seems to be working for ya and you just can't get the back line to stay where they should be, put in a sweeper, if find it works very well if your centre halves lack a bit of pace

I do use a sweeper as my centre defence lacks pace! I have my backline set to C and my offside trap set to B & that seems to have helped a little! My main problem is also defending a particular corner that my mate uses as for some reason I cannot get my player to mark properly & he barely jumps off the ground to header the ball!

Back
Top Bottom