differences WE9 / PES5

danhammer

Champions League
23 February 2004
Just wanted peoples opinions on what they think is different...if anything is actually different that is

Please post opinions

Cheers

for starters: i believe the games are almost identical. imo the gameplay of pes5 has been tweaked here and there to suit the european market. major difference for me is the refereeing. in we9 everything was fouled, it was too strict. it took out the flow of the game. they have altered this, i feel. i also experience difference in pace and flow of the game when playing on 50hz or 60hz. 60hz is like we9, 50 hz is like pes4,5 or we8,5 to me! i prefer 60hz and i think that is the way konami intended it to be played on.
Scoring goals happens more often on pes5. Maybe i'm a crap player(!), but goalscoring on we9 was very difficult. it also felt as if we9 was too scripted here. in pes5 you have the 'old' pes4 feel when it comes to scoring goals. i think scoring goals is easier in pes5 than in we9.
Obviously, the player/ team database is updated; good thing about pes5, although konami always manages to screw this up a little! But this is also something that i love about the game, it's perfect in it's imperfection!

PES5-----v-------WE9
faster-----------slower
less fouls-------more fouls
english----------japanese
no nippon--------nippon challenge
annoying music---annoying music
easier-----------harder
gd gameplay------gd gameplay

WE9 the defences are much tighter, much much easier to score in PES5.

As above, much faster especially on the xbox, though that may change.

is it just me, but i didn't get the 'snow falling' effect in WE9. yes there is snow, but just on the ground already. in PES5 it's falling, and it looks dope!

SPMC said:
is it just me, but i didn't get the 'snow falling' effect in WE9. yes there is snow, but just on the ground already. in PES5 it's falling, and it looks dope!

Oh is it true. I've always played real, and thank god there wasn't any snowfall in sunny spain.

Ive had the full retail ver for about a week now.

Differences too add to whats already been mentioned.

Defence:
WE9 played very deep. Tight. Realistically jostle and fight for the ball.(get stuck in). Player weight/stature reflected well. Bad control timing can result in excessive fouling

PES5 Plays higher up. Defences AI are in fact
tighter but since they play higher up theres space behind to exploit. Unrealistic jostling for the ball, players tend to bounce off more, rather than go shoulder to shoulder. Pushed off the ball being exagerated IMO. Control mechanism still same, but less fouls are called. (I noticed this is because CPU usally pushed your DF off the ball easily so you have less opp to foul)

Animations/ gameplay.

I feel that WE9 had more animations frames. In PES5 some movements appear stiff, especially those litte turns/flicks that palyers make.

Thru ball tweaked slightly to make it easier, but still rather low trajectory. Actually it was was fine in WE9 too, just needed to get to grips with it.

Crossing much better in PES5, and players attacking the ball better. (read easier)
Long passing more accurate (read easier)

Players with good stats also seem to have difficulty controlling balls in PES5. Ball seems lighter than WE9a nd bounces bobbles more.

Shooting about the same both games.

What else...obviously new teams,rosters,kits tan WE9.

Stamford bridge pitch look absolutely horrendous.

Conclusion:

Generally most of the little tweaking does improve the 'fun' factor as compared to WE9. I feel that there is slight watering down on graphics/animations for PES5 when compared to WE9.

I'll be playing PES5 for single player (ML), becos of the less deep defence and WE9 for multiplayer (since against human oppenents WE9 just feels sweeter, PES5 can feel a bit too loose defensively)

Both games are very good, and if you haven't experienced the other will be dream to play. For those who have both, you're in for a hard time to decide like me.

Key pts:
---
Players tend to bounce off each other more on collission now.
Speed on 60hz is still too fast for a footie game. 50hz is ping pong IMO.
More open defences and slightly better positional awareness on defence.
More accurate crossing. Slightly tweaked thru balls.(e.g softer)
----
Cheers

Last edited:
did konami drop the 'minutes remaining sign' holding fourth official, from WE9/PES5? i only hear the commentary for minutes remaining.

Quite frankly I can't deal with PES5... :| People will disagree with me and I won't argue as every other year I've prefered PES, but I'm a fan of slow, build-up play football, not every-player-runs-like-you've-sat-on-the-fast-forward-button football. Plus they've ripped a few more teams out so there's less you can add via patching.

Don't like it and won't be buying it. The only thing I'd list as a plus for PES5 is the English, and Fernando's patch changes that. Plus the English commentary I prefer over Japanese - but it's dire anyway. "Owen. Owen. Owen. He's lost it! Owen. That's a goal kick. Gerrard. Owen. Gerrard. I'm the most unemotional commentator in the world. Gary Neville. Gerrard. Lampard. OHWHATAGOAL!!!! SUDDENLY I GIVE A TOSS!! I'M NOTHING BUT A GOAL-WHORE!!". "Flow" must not be a word in the Japanese dictionary.

On the PSP however, it's a different matter. I've not seen much PSP-patching yet, so I'd go with PES5 purely for the English.

PES5-----v-------WE9
faster-----------slower
less fouls-------more fouls ( no not realy )
english----------japanese
no nippon--------nippon challenge
annoying music---annoying music :lmao:
easier-----------harder ( :shock: NO WAY : PES 5 is much harder)
gd gameplay------gd gameplay

for we9 you have only pal system but for Pe5 you have pal & ntsc

Well thank you for making this thread Dan, I myself have been trying to decide for a while this very same matter as it will ultimately decide what version PLF Data will also be made for FIRST and then covnerted to others and also what version will see our patch (which we've kept quiet till this point and likely wlll for a little more while).

But I can't really decide either. For the moment I'm leaning towards PES5 though even though I've only had 2 games the day i got the game about 2 weeks ago and thats IT!!!!! Yeah.. it's unbelievably busy now for me with university work, part-time job among other things.

So surely 2 games is not enough to judge but I think from what I played on 60hz of course because we have NTSC system here, the game didn't feel THAT MUCH faster than WE9. Maybe it is but I personally didn't notice it at least not in the 2 games I played.

Overall I find everything pretty much the same (again this is just from playing 2 quick exhibitions so surely I will or am capable of changing my mind when I get to play more) except that of course PES5 already has some of the players we needed to create to make squads more up to date (of course it doesn't matter match as most have totally wrong stats sometimes even height/age).

Among other things PES5 might have some more kits up to date (2005-2006 season) , English commentary (which i'm not too proud of but would still like the choice of having Japanese or Spanish at times instead of being stuck with Japanese, more up to date squads and of couse Promoted teams which means upon doing my own stat-corrections and data at least I dont have to CREATE new teams.

That takes a lot of time and having them there with right kits/name/logo/badges.. and player NAMES although still will mean each have to be made realistic at least its work like all other teams and not having to go through process of REPLACING 18/19 teams.

Now only teams we have to create are ones we want there (optional) instead of whatever we dont want like Rapid Vienna, Maybe Corinthians.

So from patching sort of view, making the data and the patch and a lot of other things seem to favour for me to stick with PES5 since I feel the rest of gameplay is pretty much same and speed isn't fast enough to bother me (I hope i'm not wrong but the 2 games I played were okay for me.. though I still would've liked S l o w e r).

Well that's my little review from the only 2 games I had over 2 weeks ago.. but its my thoughts and hopefully with more people contributing to this thread and saying what they notice REALLY different.. me and others can make up mind too.

There's also somethings I'm forgetting right now lol.. but can't be bothered.

going out soon... so this is enough for me now :)

take care

i get the impression from playing PES5 that they have somehow made the shooting know-where near as good as we9....and also controlling the ball on pes5 seems to be bad compared to we9...but then again i hear what your saying with full english commentary,new promoted teams etc for pes5...perhaps i need to give it more time

For me in we9 shooting was WAY too easy. I would score out of 2-3 goals out of 9 shots. Is it the same for PES5?

nah shooting is harder i think....it's really hard to make up your mind....i'm playing pes5 now and enjoying it

martinja said:
For me in we9 shooting was WAY too easy. I would score out of 2-3 goals out of 9 shots. Is it the same for PES5?
I think that the shooting is a little bit easyer in PES5, also because the little more space you get from the defenders. I think that in WE9 the defenders are defending a little more better, thightener. (just played the game, I think 10 times 2 againt 2, so not yet againt the cpu).

The ballcontrol of the players in WE9 is also a bit better I think. In PES5 the ball bounces to much and often against players feet and body.

I've read here that the referee was better in PES5, so not that often for everything. But played it yesterday a couple of times, and it's the same as WE9 I think.

Oke, I've must played more, but this is what I think after playing 10 times 2 againt 2 with friends(on 50hrz).

the biggest difference ive noticed are the defences and midfielders push up just a bit more to create space. However you would think it makes the game easier yet im having more difficulty winning on this version then we9. With we9 i found you could keep possesion easier because the defense was so packed. Now with the strikers and a midfielder or 2 further up field they are more dangerous on the counter and its harder to keep possesion because of it. Havent gone back to we9 since the pes5beta. Just waiting to buy the real version now

tiktiktiktik said:
the biggest difference ive noticed are the defences and midfielders push up just a bit more to create space. However you would think it makes the game easier yet im having more difficulty winning on this version then we9. With we9 i found you could keep possesion easier because the defense was so packed. Now with the strikers and a midfielder or 2 further up field they are more dangerous on the counter and its harder to keep possesion because of it. Havent gone back to we9 since the pes5beta. Just waiting to buy the real version now
These tactical ways that AI plays differently that you mention tikx4 and few others are good points. However they won't make me really give WE9 or PES5 an edge in thinking which one is the one I want to play with in long-run.

Reason for this is after i'm done tweaking all those stats/lineups and formation (arrows, defensive ratings) and make them realistic (Original game comes with too many arrows in each formation and lot of ridiculous things). the game WILL play good and be more midfield battle.. and defense being tighter and not getting caught out of position like it did for me in we8le and that was just another thing that people really liked about it.

So I personally will listen to these reasons as well to hopefully make my mind up but for me this whole defense being tighter or sitting deeper or more space and stuff won't be a MAJOR factor in my decision as I think with the right editing its possible to create ideal situation of AI doing what they should be anyways.

@Niko, of course the new faces :lol: like Diego, J. Baptista, R. Oliveira, Robinho and many others but then again this isn't a huge plus as we had most of these faces anyways and could put it in our game.

I played 1 more match again last night from PES5 and really liked it. So i'm having hard time choose.

So I personally will listen to these reasons as well to hopefully make my mind up but for me this whole defense being tighter or sitting deeper or more space and stuff won't be a MAJOR factor in my decision as I think with the right editing its possible to create ideal situation of AI doing what they should be anyways.

well i cant wait to try out your plf data as i missed it last time round. However for me those things i mentioned are the biggest differences that ive noticed so far(which can be edited with stats and the like). There is a slightly different feel to the game but other then that i havent noticed too much really.

iv'e had a decent play of PES5 today and i think deep down i'm gonna stay with WE9. Control in PES5 really gets on your nerves after a while, just seems to keep bobbling away from you and the shooting is pretty awful in PES5 compared to WE9. I for one was trying to like PES5 because it's the european version and has some nice touches like up-to-date teams etc but for actual gameplay and game satisfaction i think WE9 wins hands down. The only thing i think is better than WE9 is the Goalkeepers, they seem to throw the ball better and more frequent however this isn't enough to stop me from putting WE9 aside.

danhammer said:
iv'e had a decent play of PES5 today and i think deep down i'm gonna stay with WE9. Control in PES5 really gets on your nerves after a while, just seems to keep bobbling away from you and the shooting is pretty awful in PES5 compared to WE9. I for one was trying to like PES5 because it's the european version and has some nice touches like up-to-date teams etc but for actual gameplay and game satisfaction i think WE9 wins hands down. The only thing i think is better than WE9 is the Goalkeepers, they seem to throw the ball better and more frequent however this isn't enough to stop me from putting WE9 aside.

Same here. I noticed that too. Ball seems to bobble loose very often, even if you're applying R2. Stats matter, but even those with high technique seem to have trouble sometimes.

Also has anyone noticed that in PES5 player collisions seem to be overdone. In my view thats why there seem to be less fouling in PES5. Body contact throws you off more, and since you're not near anymore less chance of small fouls.

Also, The animations. For those who played WE9 would easily notice. Less smooth in PES5. I think some have been reduced and frames skipped. Very obvious in the replays, especially of shooting. Shots seem to be faster, because some frames are skipped. IMO.

I too can't decide which is better. I'm midway thru ML on both. Keep switch back and forth and it's driving me nuts.

I think this is what ppl like us get for purchasing 'all' releases of the game. If we'd just stuck to our localised release there wouldn't be anaything to compare against and PES5 is miles better then PES4.

I'm giving PES5 another month or so for now. But I think i'll be going back to WE9 again. SInce there's just a little bit more 'satisfaction' factor there.

Considering all the posts here, I imagine that the "no crowd" bug on Normal, Far, Wide cameras is not fixed, is it?

Also, do we still play games with almost empty venues between ManUxGunners in ML?

"no crowd" bug on Normal, Far, Wide cameras is not fixed, is it? No,not fixed is the same in both.

I prefer pes5 (50hz)....only play mates and it seems more exciting .

Back
Top Bottom