4 July 2011
Cover:
435918-dragon-s-dogma-dark-arisen-xbox-one-front-cover.jpg
Platforms: PS3/Xbox 360/PS4/Xbox One/PC
Release Date: 22 May 2012

Developer: Capcom
Genre: Action/Adventure

Description:
A dragon snatches away the heart from the chest on a warrior. Now, not dead, nor alive, the warrior must go on a quest to find the dragon and kill it to end the curse. However, there's much more at stake.

Suprised no thread on this game.

Its really good. Best gmae Ive palyed for ages and IMO better than Skyrim.

Skyrim has better world/graphics etc. Much more polished and detailed.

This is more arcadey but the combat is real fun and enjoyable and like a proper fighting/action game. And this is what makes it better than Skyrim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Followed it eagerly for a long time, tried the demo, stopped following it...

Wouldnt base the game on the demo at all mate doesnt do it justice.

Even after playing the game 3-4 hours I was ready to return in...now im well into it it gets better and better....I read other user reviews saying similar which is why i gave it more time...and it really does pick up you just have to put some time into it for the game to pick up and to level up your characters with amazing moves/magic/weapons etc...Its an amazingly fun fighting game not just an rpg.

Hmm maybe, just found the demo really arcade and linear, didn't feel like a "proper" rpg in the kind that I like :)

Its capcom (dmc/re) after all.

Thats my biggest gripe with the game its to arcadish...it does work well with the combat though much more fun than tapping one button to slash in Skyrim.

But overall the whole game has an arcadish feel it is a Japenese company also not a true western RPG. a JRPG in a western setting.

Its fun but its not polished or classy liek skyrim..It feels somewhat plasticy and flimsy but it has great entertainment, fun and action inside it...like a big kids toy i guess whereas Skyrim is that expensive grand Piano that noone is allowed to play as it just looks to good and we dont want it to get broken!! If ya know what i mean. I do like skyrim though and for an RPG comparison SKyrim is a far more boring game but this is capcoms 1st attempt really at this genre and they are going to make a sequal.

IF skyrim had the combat and enemies and abilites and boss fights that DD had it would be the best ever RPG

I'm not a big fan of boss battles, and like the combat of Skyrim, guess DD is just not for me :) I definitely don't find Skyrim boring either, so much to do no time to get bored :)

I'm not a big fan of boss battles, and like the combat of Skyrim, guess DD is just not for me :) I definitely don't find Skyrim boring either, so much to do no time to get bored :)

Erm its not like boss battles its just each enemy/monster is uniqoe and there are some monsters you encounter cush as cylops/ogres/dragons etc that are different and require techincs to kill them easier..eg I killed the clycops easy once by climbing up its body and stabbing its eye, another time by shooting its eye out with arrows. Whereas Skyrim is just hit for hit...Skyrim combat is boring really the world is nice to explore but also many quests and dungeosn to similar. I want dawngaurd though.

DD does have some boss battles I do think later on? Though I have not encountered them yet its just like in the world of skyrim u have dragons and giants etc..well DD has a lot more of them but the combat is way more varied and complex and interesting.

I normally don't like boss battles either, but oddly I loved Shadow of the Colossus which was just a series of boss battles, and this feels kinda similar in that respect. I'll give this a go when it's cheaper I think.

I normally don't like boss battles either, but oddly I loved Shadow of the Colossus which was just a series of boss battles, and this feels kinda similar in that respect. I'll give this a go when it's cheaper I think.

Yeh bosses are based on that, they all have techniques to kill them and u can climb up them and stuff.

Its actually fun.

I usually hate boss battles in games like ninja gaiden etc its just usually furstartng and hard....this is cool.

Plus the monsters are real cool..like cylcops, ogres, hybird lion things.

Just now as I was playing it this giant eagle type creature like a huge dragon in size picked me up when i was just wanderign the main map in the forest..right out of nowhere lol...I had to shake the left stick to break free and my teammates were shooting it with arrows and magic..it flew up to about 50 feet in the air and I managed to break free. But off course I died on the fall....played game for 10-20hrs and never seen this creature before....was pretty cool.

It reminds me kinda of zelda on n64 but that was so long ago maybe im wrong...iots kindy arcadey action cartoony but its fun

Is there a RE6 demo on the disk?

No i think there is a code so u can DL it early or soemthing. I have not even looked tbh lol...I just read it mentioned on another forum hold on its at my desk.......yep a code in the box to get demo on 5/9

If you have the XBOX version of the game you can get the demo now, so I reckon loads of people will be selling their codes on ebay soon.

The PS3 version of the demo isn't out for ages as Microsoft payed for the demo to be exclusive to the 360.

aint even bothered tbh...ill play it whenever not something i even noticed.

If people wanna buy it lol ill sell mines..surely cant get much though? a fiver?

Anyone here tried the Dark Arisen expansion? I tried, I failed, I gave up :P

Loved the main game though, spent most of it rocking the assassin class combining swords, shields and bows with my main pawn as a Mage helping with group healing etc, and enlisting both a warrior and a sorcerer pawn.

Anyways, I completed the game, relatively easily on normal difficulty, at level 59. Went into the Dark Arisen section, man it's tough. Got nailed in one hit by some worm thing that jumps out of a treasure chest, then spent 15 minutes hacking away at a giant Cyclops, only taking about 10% off his first energy bar, and he one hit killed my entire party.

Not sure I can be arsed with that, maybe that's too hardcore for me. People online are saying they struggle and they're level 100+. Really can't be bothered roaming around the game world stat grinding for another thirty hours or so just to be able to compete with some of the Dark Arisen bosses. Shame.

Bit late for the party, but better late than later!
Was listening to instrumental music on the way to work and decided to take a small holiday from football games. I was hungry for some rpg/action fantasy game, with good combat (like Dark Souls) and some nice story/structure to it (like Skyrim).

Did a little research and downloaded Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen.

The game has aged. When I got Witcher 3 recently - it still looks solid, better than some current games. Dragons Dogma looks older. Especially cutscenes and close ups on characters look a bit goofy.
Fortunately - it gets better when you get pass initial clips and introduction to this, somewhat, ridiculous story.

Long story short - dragon comes, eats your heart, you dont die and you go on a quest to get your heart back.
tenor (17).gif

But few drinks and you should be able to accept it..

Anyway!
Game starts and it gets much better. World looks much nicer than cutscenes, you have crates all over the place that you can smash and some monster to batter. And, oh boy, is monster battering not fun in there!
Fighting is sort of like from Witcher, but on steroids. You can climb on big monsters and poke them in the eye. Or climb on top of three headed hydra and cut one head off! Or you can grab a wolf and toss him off the cliff. How fun is that?!

But fighting mechanism is not the only fun thing in Dragons Dogma.
So called Pawn System is very original and cool idea as well. Basically - you create two characters - you and your AI companion. And AI companion can be "borrowed" by other people. Same way - you can borrow theirs.
So your total party is you, your AI companion and two borrowed ones.
Its not mandatory, you could go on your own if you wanted, but it would be a little bit tougher than the average bear could take.
I just have one "borrowed" companion and my AI companion. Four would be a bit crowded.
You and your main companion level up, borrowed ones dont. Likewise - when your main companion is used by some other player - they dont level up. But they all get wiser. They learn. And when they come back - they know more about monsters, their weaknesses, area and possible dangers. Overall - its a very good, fresh and cool system, which I never seen anywhere else.

Those two - fighting and pawns - were enough to get me interested and I spent half of the night bashing monsters and having lots of fun.
Now ill see how long they will keep me hooked, as the story, so far, is ... well... see above...

Back
Top Bottom