eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PC)

whats a good PC config to have this game running on an 4K UHD TV? Price range under $1000
Check a guy on youtubes called Tech Deals. Detailed explanation on parts/part combos and value you getting. First time I could say - now this is not a waste of time to watch :)

THIS GAME IS PISSING ME OFF!!!

I cannot play one full game online why?! This does not happen on other games I play online, why only on PES?!

I've port forward, DMZ'd everything!

PES 2020 has so many examples of poor control design choices:
Having R1 as sprint, then tap R1 to face the goal, but you have to double-tap it to stop dead is a RIDICULOUS decision. Double-tapping R1 is also a faster sprint. They've just crammed too many like-minded controls onto the same button, which creates loads of potential room for user error. It's not the worst, and it's certainly not unplayable, but it's by no means intuitive. Compare this to Fifa where R2 is sprint, tap R2 to stop dead, L1 is stop and face the goal, and the right stick is a faster sprint. This is a FAR better method because you're never, ever going to do the wrong thing becuase they're all mapped to a completely different button. PES 2020 at times feels more like I'm attempting a 10 hit combo on Tekken.
had!

Couldn't have put it any better. I play both games, and I prefer PES in terms of gameplay, but controls-wise I miss the Fifa controls (apart from super-cancel). I never use the R-stick finesse dribble naturally. Whenever I do use it, I'm doing it for the sake of trying it.

For me the controls are not the problem when it comes to dribbling (though I tend to agree with @OBH), it‘s the claire-voyance and the ignorance of any element of momentum of the AI which is getting on my nerves and is making dribbling pointless.

I am not saying that it is impossible to go around an AI player, but even with good dribblers like Coman I get stuck or caught up and easily dispossessed so often, that I don‘t even bother anymore and pass the ball instead. That was perhaps the only thing that was better in 2019.

Last edited:
R3 stick? You mean R-stick?

Yes, sorry. R-stick, but i often press R3 to juggle the ball, or do some awesome rainbows.

I understand why people would like the change If they didn’t use R2 before, but I just don’t see how it’s worth it when it affects other things so negatively.

Having a method of movement dedicated to its own analog stick just doesn’t make any sense; it would be like moving sprint from R1 to the right stick, and no one would like that!

Left stick to move
Hold R1 to go faster
Hold R2 to go slower.

You can’t get any simpler and more intuitive than that.

I have a little question for you mate (and no telling any little white lies! :LOL:): Surely at some point you've accidentally done the wrong thing? You tapped it twice, but he still turned and faced the goal?

This would have never, ever happened before because the two commands were different buttons.

I'm all for change, and like I said a few posts ago this isn't THE worst controls ever, but changes should be made with the intention of optimising. These are changes for nothing more than change's sake.

R2 button in modern gamepads has long distance travel to be completely pressed. This is somewhat uncomfortable when it comes to rapid button presses. On the other hand instant flicks on R stick are much faster and combined with L stick create some nice moments.

Reactions: OBH
R2 button in modern gamepads has long distance travel to be completely pressed. This is somewhat uncomfortable when it comes to rapid button presses. On the other hand instant flicks on R stick are much faster and combined with L stick create some nice moments.
I completely agree that R2 being a trigger doesn’t help, but in 2019 you had to hold it to finesse dribble so was that even a problem? Even if you did tap it, did you regularly have to tap it one time after another? Just interested as I never used R2 in that manner on 2019. In fact, this wouldn’t even be a problem if R2 was sprint, because you’d be then tapping R1 instead which makes much more sense. R2 is sprint in Fifa and accelerate in racing games for exactly the reason you’ve said; tapping it isn’t particularly pleasant, and the button is a damn trigger anyway, so map a command to it that requires to be held.

Your point about R2 being a trigger though is exactly why I hate it being part of the skills control set up. A simple step over for example is now:

Let go of left stick
Tap R2
Move right stick
Move left stick

Who thought that was a good idea? What’s the point in having the most basic skills now require 4 controller inputs when advanced stuff requires only 2? Letting the ball run through your legs also requires letting go of the left stick and pressing R2, which it exactly the same input as the step over so its made doing certain skills as your first touch an impossibility in 2020. All of which were possible in 2019 because they weren’t stupidly the exact same input.

Just off the top of my head I can name 4 things I can no longer do now finesse dribble is the right stick, and for what? What have I gained from the change? Literally nothing.

Ive been trying to import the Libertadores teams and for about 5/6 of them I get a loading failed. Now the files themselves look the same, no difference in what is there... any ideas?

Its happening for alot of files lately, the Korean League / J League wont install... tried to overwrite the PLA league with Peru and that ownt install.

Do i need a clean install of the game, is there some set limit of files that is hidden and the game is restricting what I can install or not?

Do you experience various tempo of game during a season, I mean game speed, especially button reactions ? I noticed that f.e. weather conditions have influence on game speed. I must change latency in NVidia, change time response in monitor, I even must change game speed in settings when match is very slow. Its f...g annoyiong :/
Do you have the same ?

Last edited:
Do you experience various tempo of game during a season, I mean game speed ? I noticed that f.e. weather conditions have influence on game speed. I must change latency in NVidia, change time response in monitor, I even must change game speed in settings when match is very slow. Its f...g annoyiong :/
Do you have the same ?

The ball is horribly slow in rainy conditions what i noticed. It becomes a billiard bowl. I like the idea of different phyisics but the ball drags like it would roll in 10cm water.

The ball is horribly slow in rainy conditions what i noticed. It becomes a billiard bowl. I like the idea of different phyisics but the ball drags like it would roll in 10cm water.

If you are talking only about ball pace ball when it rains than its ok but I rather meant the whole match tempo especially players reaction on button commands. Plenty of delays
For example in shiny day players reaqctions on my commands are slower than in night match. When it rains its horribly slow.
I have monitor with 5ms time responce and I suppose this is the reason. I tried monits with 1ms and response is great but I couldn't play normally because of huge ghosting which makes players and ball look really blurred during fast scenses.

Last edited:
Why do people even use slower dribblings? It's completely pointless in terms of efficiency. You never see anyone using it in the PES League World Finals.
I agree they are not efficient but pointless??? I used a lot of them I the past.
Also the PES league finals are not a good example I think. Or do you also play with PA3?

Also the PES league finals are not a good example I think. Or do you also play with PA3?
I would if I were to play the game competitively. I don't even see the point in using slower dribblings when playing offline, though. It's not like you can outsmart the psychic AI with them.

I would if I were to play the game competitively. I don't even see the point in using slower dribblings when playing offline, though. It's not like you can outsmart the psychic AI with them.
Yes this is seperate problem from the pvp scene The cpuAI being supernatural at predictions. We had a similar case about the AI that do not buys the fake shots/crosses, in the console thread.

Since it shifted to the right-stick, yeah I don't use it anymore. But like last year, I found even offline it was quite effective to slow dribble to draw the defender then burst past with the sprint.

This year, the controls require a bit too much faffing around to even do that.

Yes this is seperate problem from the pvp scene The cpuAI being supernatural at predictions. We had a similar case about the AI that do not buys the fake shots/crosses, in the console thread.
Where a few people posted clear videos (including myself) that the CPU does buy into shot/cross fakes. For this particualr skill it works fine, as long as it's applicable to the situation.

Since it shifted to the right-stick, yeah I don't use it anymore. But like last year, I found even offline it was quite effective to slow dribble to draw the defender then burst past with the sprint.

This year, the controls require a bit too much faffing around to even do that.

The RS skill are still in their infancy for me this year. In previous years I would oft use it for nice first touches around defenders and so forth. However, this year I have only just started to experiment with this to find if there is some decent ways to make space out wide with it. I'm not convinced so far that you can't make as much (if not more) space with just little LS changes of weight and/or R2/R1 combination usage. I will persevere (where it's 'safe') as there's some lovely moves in there, but at the moment. Just holding R2 while static on the angle or using a nutmeg type is far more effective at turning a player with your back to them. Whereas last year, there were lots of skills that allowed this.

I cant get into the game for 2 weeks now. The latest patch killed it totally for me. Despite the ai "dribbling" and long range shots are somewhat back but the decreased amount of standing tackles from the cpu or from my players are killers. The players simply just dont care and fell to direction changes, just run with you until they get the ball from you rather. Also if there are obvious fouls, from now on many arent even called. At least the previous exe had that luxury if. Now the refs are total blind sometime. There is no use of great dribblers, you cant play, rely on them on a consistent basis. You rather have strong and fast players.

Wait, are the servers down or is the game requiring an online connection to be launched now?
s88EbuW.png

It wasn't like that before. I could easily start the game with the firewall rule which blocked it from accessing the Internet enabled, but now it looks like I cannot anymore.

EDIT: after launching it once with the Internet connection on (disabling the rule) it now launches again without connection.

The RS skill are still in their infancy for me this year. In previous years I would oft use it for nice first touches around defenders and so forth. However, this year I have only just started to experiment with this to find if there is some decent ways to make space out wide with it. I'm not convinced so far that you can't make as much (if not more) space with just little LS changes of weight and/or R2/R1 combination usage. I will persevere (where it's 'safe') as there's some lovely moves in there, but at the moment. Just holding R2 while static on the angle or using a nutmeg type is far more effective at turning a player with your back to them. Whereas last year, there were lots of skills that allowed this.
This statement is really, really confusing me.

Are you accidentally talking about 2019's controls? You talk about 'holding R2' which doesn't do anything anymore? Or you say 'the RS skill are still in their infancy for me this year. In previous years I would oft use it for nice first touches around defenders', wait, what? You just said it's in its infancy, as it is the first year to introduce the new RS controls, then mentioned how you used them effectively last year? Just hopped into your time machine did you? :D

Please, by all means, correct me. I don't doubt that I'm just horribly misreading this. I just wanted to join in the conversation because it sounded interesting, but then realised I have no idea what you're talking about :LOL:

This statement is really, really confusing me.

Are you accidentally talking about 2019's controls? You talk about 'holding R2' which doesn't do anything anymore? Or you say 'the RS skill are still in their infancy for me this year. In previous years I would oft use it for nice first touches around defenders', wait, what? You just said it's in its infancy, as it is the first year to introduce the new RS controls, then mentioned how you used them effectively last year?

Please, by all means, correct me. I don't doubt that I'm just horribly misreading this. I just wanted to join in the conversation but I honestly have no idea what you're talking about :LOL::D

Holding R2 while static (when receiving the ball) allows the ball to run past you (used to be R1 while static). Trust me, R2 still does a lot for dribbling and first touch besides that.

RS was entirely different last year; then is when I used it. They've changed entirely how R2 and RS work this year. I've only started to get a feel for what RS is capable of this year.

I prefer the new button mapping and controls.Until 19 holding R2+LS would do this stiff close dribbling which looked ugly as fuck and like the player glides through the pitch.Now i use R2+LS to protect the ball better with shielding and i'm sure it works.I know some people are saying that this is done even if you don't hold R2 and that shielding is automatic but i noticed that i lose the ball more easily if i don't hold it.But when i'm holding it the player protects the ball much better and you can also win some more fouls this way.

Also R2 is useful to control the ball better when you receive a long ball for example and for some momentum movement dribbling sometimes.And although i don't use RS much to dribble because it's kinda difficult to get used to,when i use it i find the dribbling smoother and more natural looking in comparison to previous years glidey R2 weird movement.

Don't disagree with the movements per se. But couldn't that have been achieved with the same control scheme? R2 + LS?

Have to try what you're saying with how you're using the R2 now with shielding the ball. I've always thought in PES shielding is achieved by turning your back and releasing the LS.

In the Konami cup quarter final as liverpool now 2-1 up in first leg against Riverplate following a dramatic second round game where a i turned a 2-3 home defeat around and won 2-0 in the away leg. Can't believe i didn't stream it. Origi coming on to bag the winner.

I still can't get my head around what people are seeing or not seeing.
Not 1 goal i have conceded has been turn and shoot
Last game i have against RP had 6 fouls
Not seen any evidence of catch up bug unless my player is on red stamina which makes sense. When Origi come on and i played him through he shook the first defender off was chased by two but no one was catching him

In the Konami cup quarter final as liverpool now 2-1 up in first leg against Riverplate following a dramatic second round game where a i turned a 2-3 home defeat around and won 2-0 in the away leg. Can't believe i didn't stream it. Origi coming on to bag the winner.

I still can't get my head around what people are seeing or not seeing.
Not 1 goal i have conceded has been turn and shoot
Last game i have against RP had 6 fouls
Not seen any evidence of catch up bug unless my player is on red stamina which makes sense. When Origi come on and i played him through he shook the first defender off was chased by two but no one was catching him
What difficulty are you playing this on to not see the "Catch-up Bug"? I can assure you in Master League on Superstar Difficulty it is alive and kicking.... Winds me RIGHT up.

Wait, are the servers down or is the game requiring an online connection to be launched now?
s88EbuW.png

It wasn't like that before. I could easily start the game with the firewall rule which blocked it from accessing the Internet enabled, but now it looks like I cannot anymore.

EDIT: after launching it once with the Internet connection on (disabling the rule) it now launches again without connection.
I think the .exe needs to connect to the Denuvo servers from time to time to make sure that your copy is legit. This is also the case for other Denuvo games which actually can be played offline.

Back
Top Bottom