eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Had the day off yesterday and played for a few hours. I play PA1/manual shooting/advance shooting.

I was seeing some of the best shot variety I’ve seen in PES. I go and check the settings.... I had the damn shooting on basic!

I think I changed it the other day when tinkering with settings but I liked it a ton. It didn’t feel overpowering or anything, I might stick with it. I feel somehow I’m cheating though.

Any mates play on basic? Why or why not?

Just had a few games online, and I honestly don't think I've ever wasted my free time on something as pointless. Pressure whores everywhere you look, nowhere to pass the ball without being pressured and dispossessed because response times are so piss poor. You have to play their brand of football (ping-pong passing) to stand a chance.

If I only played football games online (I include the other one here), this would be up there with the worst year for football games ever, for me. Seriously.

Makes you realise when you talk to a "normal" gamer, you're both talking about completely different experiences, even if you're talking about the same game. I won't be playing online again against randoms any time soon. Fucking dreadful.
Just had a few games online, and I honestly don't think I've ever wasted my free time on something as pointless. Pressure whores everywhere you look, nowhere to pass the ball without being pressured and dispossessed because response times are so piss poor. You have to play their brand of football (ping-pong passing) to stand a chance.

If I only played football games online (I include the other one here), this would be up there with the worst year for football games ever, for me. Seriously.

Makes you realise when you talk to a "normal" gamer, you're both talking about completely different experiences, even if you're talking about the same game. I won't be playing online again against randoms any time soon. Fucking dreadful.
Hello, from your understanding, do the majority of members play offline or online?

I personally much prefer playing against other people for variety of play and competition. Some people do abuse the mechanics of the game but not all, likewise the Ai can be unfair in its play too!

I joined this site to try and build up my PES friend list for friendly competition so I’m not at the total mercy of matchmaking!

I wouldn’t consider myself a code abuse player but if you’re on PS4 and would like a few friendlies, please let me know.

Had the day off yesterday and played for a few hours. I play PA1/manual shooting/advance shooting.

I was seeing some of the best shot variety I’ve seen in PES. I go and check the settings.... I had the damn shooting on basic!

I think I changed it the other day when tinkering with settings but I liked it a ton. It didn’t feel overpowering or anything, I might stick with it. I feel somehow I’m cheating though.

I use basic as I’m still learning the game. I am intrigued to see how advance adds variety.

Have you tried PA0 and similar settings in Online Divisions, I think you would find it a quite different experience. :)

...not sure what's going on this year on this forum it's like people try to convince you not to enjoy it.. Its wierd

On the contrary, it’s like people are trying to convince everyone else that PES is back to it’s best, that there are lots of fouls and we’re playing it wrong.

That’s also weird.

I am playing on basic. For some reason this year the manual shot screamers are more effective when i use manual L2+:square:, than the basic shot screamers.

Recently made the move to manual shooting for increase in variety...
Still trying to work out if stats matter on it or not :BOP:

Dear confessors, as someone who plays only exibition matches agains friend(playing more than a 10years), this PES seems like most realistic in one hand, but most scripted in another. Even in exibition matches against human, so that is whats bother me most. This is unbelivable. You have freedom for like 50% of gaming, other 50% is what script decide. Even if you set pass assistance on "3", script are deciding where pass goes in 50% of cases. That is also case with shooting etc etc and the worst part also the case of winning. You just can feel in the air that somethimes, no matter how you play, you will win, and sometimes loose. I play Pes for so long, and this is not a made up story, but I believe that script sometimes deciding who will win and there is nothing you can do about and that wouldn't be a problem with mode like Master league, but in exibition match??!!!

Damn, I just want freedom and spontaneous football. They really overdo(if you can say this word about Konami) and messed this up.

Random is painful.
I even stopped online playing on PA0.
Sometimes you find a guy who wanna play a decent game, but mostly it´s pressure and rush...even on PA0 and most of them with assisted shooting.
Only a few full manual players out there.

Best thing is to play with chaps you know. Maybe from this community here (wasn´t there an evo web community on PSN?).
But that´s not the game´s fault.
If you - for example - play GTA5 online, you have idiots as well who spoil your fun...there´s also best to play with a group of people you know.

Dear confessors, as someone who plays only exibition matches agains friend(playing more than a 10years), this PES seems like most realistic in one hand, but most scripted in another. Even in exibition matches against human, so that is whats bother me most. This is unbelivable. You have freedom for like 50% of gaming, other 50% is what script decide. Even if you set pass assistance on "3", script are deciding where pass goes in 50% of cases. That is also case with shooting etc etc and the worst part also the case of winning. You just can feel in the air that somethimes, no matter how you play, you will win, and sometimes loose. I play Pes for so long, and this is not a made up story, but I believe that script sometimes deciding who will win and there is nothing you can do about and that wouldn't be a problem with mode like Master league, but in exibition match??!!!

Damn, I just want freedom and spontaneous football. They really overdo(if you can say this word about Konami) and messed this up.
The more assistance you add the more "scripting" you will add. I have not noticed any scripting in 2020 - not saying its not there but in 2019 i could sense when the AI was going to score -- never had that feeling in this game

On the contrary, it’s like people are trying to convince everyone else that PES is back to it’s best, that there are lots of fouls and we’re playing it wrong.

That’s also weird.
nah disagree, there could be more fouls and definitely more penalties but there's plenty of evidence of people having 5,6 fouls per game - my last broadcast had 5 from yesterday. No one is saying anyone is playing it wrong there's no such thing, but different approaches alter the AI approach. If you cut passing lanes they will go long, if you cut passing lanes near the area they will shoot from distance - if you give them space they will exploit it. Thats not playing it wrong or right thats just tactics and defending

Random is painful.
I even stopped online playing on PA0.
Sometimes you find a guy who wanna play a decent game, but mostly it´s pressure and rush...even on PA0 and most of them with assisted shooting.
Only a few full manual players out there.

Best thing is to play with chaps you know. Maybe from this community here (wasn´t there an evo web community on PSN?).
But that´s not the game´s fault.
If you - for example - play GTA5 online, you have idiots as well who spoil your fun...there´s also best to play with a group of people you know.
Let me tell a story here:
First of all, although i hate labels and stereotypes, the average MyClub player, almost 7/10 is a guy playing PA3, full assisted , stringing square one-touch passes, until they come up in point-blank spot with Sane,Mane,Salah,Mbappe,Cronaldo,Messi etc....
Taking those as given, when it comes to Myclub and even specific Muclub Challenge Cups, where there is not sny filter, you will most often meet someone playing to win by any means, combined with the toxicity existing in most online "competitive" games, and you end up playing against a person, who if it was possible would break through the TV screen to cause you food poisoning and win ( i don't even include the lag-cheaters) .
This combined with script/handicap/ boosting results to a mixee situation, which if you want you have to accept. It is type of license agreement! If you are a FuMa guys hoping that you will jump in MC and make a better world, you just live in an illusion. (You general, not personal). It is like you go in a battlefield against enemies with nuclear weapons and you carry a wooden sword.

This is the prelude. On top of this some FuMa people tend to have a funtamentalistic mentality .Last year i was playing a Myclub challenge cup, can't remember what i wanted to achieve, a trophy? Somecoins to spin for Adriano. I just wanted a win in pvp. I am always playing PA1, semi cursor,basic all rest, manual teamate off the ball.I was against a FuMA guy from UK. In a competition!In MC, cause there are no filters in Cups. My only minus was i had a 2* team by accident, while he had a 4*.
It was obvious that if we were playing both FuMA i would have lost for sure, he was leagues better than me. But me on PA1 was almost unfair, it was almost pointless to compete. Out of fair play mentality, i tried to make many passes with L2, to keep things more "balanced". We ended up 1-1, in my defense, i could win 3-1 but i wasted two shoots in empty goalpost, as a kind of fairplay too. I told myself that as FuMa guys arrle men of honor, i will try to respect it.
I won him in Penalty Kick process and for my surprise he ragequited the match, instantly after i saved the last penalty.
The aftermath of all these was 2-3 days after, i saw a post of him on reddit, i remembered his nickname which was the same with in-game and he was cursing me and flaming me , i assume it was me (not sure 1000% but the description matched our game), saying that he played in MC against a PA3- full assisted whor€ (me?) , and that i was so arrogant kiddo that i mocked him, trying some FuMa passes with L2, which i failed all hard, and that it was a blasphemy that i touched the L2 trigger, cause i am a little PA3-wh0r€. While on the opposite side i tried to play many manual passes as an act of Fairplay. He also wished me death,cancer, fire on my house and my family and many other best wishes like KONaMI and SoNY ban my console etc,etc...
And all these from a guy playing FuMa, which i thought would have a honor code, since he choose to play Fuma, you know the stereotype here, FuMa guys are more sophisticated, more elité etc, etc....

Last edited:

That’s also weird.

You keep saying this, but you're the ONLY one saying it. No-one has told anyone they're playing wrong. There's quite a difference between telling someone they're playing wrong and offering advice when someone says they have a problem with the game.

Also, I haven't seen anyone say it's 'back to it's best'. I have seen plenty saying it's better than it has been in previous years. A more subtle difference, but still different. Most years (certainly not all) I find the game has improved more than it's lost. Praising where progress has been made <> ignoring glaring errors in the new version. Trying to find how best to enjoy what we currently have <> accepting those issues as 'fine'.

The biggest disruption in this thread I've seen is people using hyperbole and then not understanding why people dispute their exaggerated view.

There are not 'zero fouls' (stated a LOT in here); it's just for some, there are less fouls in a game than they think there should be. But if you say 'zero fouls' you can't complain when people come back and say they do see fouls in every game.
I in fact think far too many fouls are committed (mainly by the AI) and on top of that, a lot aren't given successfully (due to this weird resolution of collisions). I don't want them just to fix it so all those fouls are given. I also want them to reduce how often the AI actually fouls; as if they only fix the former, there will be far too many AI fouls in every game.

You keep saying this, but you're the ONLY one saying it.
He's definitely not the only one saying it. I will say it, and I know a few people who will say the same thing, and have done in the last fortnight. To which I believe your response was something gandhi-like, "I won't let your negativity ruin my positivity" or something.

Saying "that doesn't happen to me" and suggesting it's because of the way you personally play is tantamount to "therefore, you're doing it wrong". You could be pedantic enough to make some kind of argument of "if they complain about an issue I'm not having, they have an opportunity to change the way they play to fix it", or similar - that doesn't change anything. It's the same thing.

The engine isn't perfect and we're here to discuss the best bits and the worst bits, including the worst bits you (or others) don't experience because - I don't know, you play manual, you edit formations, you play on a different difficulty setting. They are workarounds. There are real issues. Whether they're issues to you or not.

Now can we *all* stop discussing whether this entire forum "only wants positives" or "convinces people to dislike the game" because it's entirely bollocks. Can we just discuss the game, please. Enough of this.

First of all, although i hate labels and stereotypes, the average MyClub player, almost 7/10 is a guy playing PA3, full assisted , stringing square one-touch passes, until they come up in point-blank spot with Sane,Mane,Salah,Mbappe,Cronaldo,Messi etc....
Taking those as given, when it comes to Myclub and even specific Muclub Challenge Cups, where there is not sny filter, you will most often meet someone playing to win by any means, combined with the toxicity existing in most online "competitive" games, and you end up playing against a person, who if it was possible would break through the TV screen to cause you food poisoning and win ( i don't even include the lag-cheaters) .
This combined with script/handicap/ boosting results to a mixee situation, which if you want you have to accept. It is type of license agreement! If you are a FuMa guys hoping that you will jump in MC and make a better world, you just live in an illusion. (You general, not personal). It is like you go in a battlefield against enemies with nuclear weapons and you carry a wooden sword.

This is the prelude. On top of this some FuMa people tend to have a funtamentalistic mentality .Last year i was playing a Myclub challenge cup, can't remember what i wanted to achieve, a trophy? Somecoins to spin for Adriano. I just wanted a win in pvp. I am always playing PA1, semi cursor,basic all rest, manual teamate off the ball.I was against a FuMA guy from UK. In a competition!In MC, cause there are no filters in Cups. My only minus was i had a 2* team by accident, while he had a 4*.
It was obvious that if we were playing both FuMA i would have lost for sure, he was leagues better than me. But me on PA1 was almost unfair, it was almost pointless to compete. Out of fair play mentality, i tried to make many passes with L2, to keep things more "balanced". We ended up 1-1, in my defense, i could wim 3-1 but i wasted two shoots in empty goalpost, as a kind of fairplay too. I told myself that as FuMa guys arrle men of honor, i will try to respect it.
I won him in Penalty Kick process and for my surprise he ragequited the match, instantly after i saved the last penalty.
The aftermath of all these was 2-3 days after, i saw a post of him on reddit, i remembered his nickname which was the same with in-game and he was cursing me and flaming me , i assume it was me (not sure 1000% but the description matched our game), saying that he played in MC with a PA3- full assisted whor€ and that i was so arrogant kiddo that i mocked him, trying some FuMa passes with L2, which i failed all hard, and that it was a blasphemy that i touched the L2 trigger, cause i am a little PA3-wh0r€. While on the opposite side i tried to play many manual passes as an act of Fairplay. He also wished me death,cancer, fire on my house and my family and many other best wishes like KONaMI and SoNY ban my console etc,etc...
And all these from a guy playing FuMa, which i thought would have a honor code, since he choose to play Fuma, you know the stereotype here, FuMa guys are more sophisticated, more elité etc, etc....
:CONFUSE:

This is the prelude. On top of this some FuMa people tend to have a funtamentalistic mentality .Last year i was playing a Myclub challenge cup, can'tremember what i wanted to achieve, a trophy? Somecoins to spin for Adriano. I just wanted a win in pvp. I am always playing PA1, semi cursor,basic all rest, manual teamate off the ball.I was against a FuMA guy from UK. In a competition!In MC, cause there are no filters in Cups. My only minus was i had a 2* team by accident, while he had a 4*.
It was obvious that if we were playing both FuMA i would have lost for sure, he was leagues better than me. But me on PA1 was almost unfair, it was almost pointless to compete. Out of fair play mentality, i tried to make many passes with L2, to keep things more "balanced". We ended up 1-1, in my defense, i could wim 3-1 but i wasted two shoots in empty goalpost, as a kind of fairplay too. I told myself that as FuMa guys arrle men of honor, i will try to respect it.
I won him in Penalty Kick process and for my surprise he ragequitesd the match, instantly after i saved the last penalty.
The aftermath of all these was 2-3 days after, i saw a post of him on reddit, i remembered his nickname which was the same with in-game and he was cursing me and flaming me , i assume it was me (not sure 1000% but the description matched our game), saying that he played in MC with a PA3- full assisted whor€ and that i was so arrogant kiddo that i mocked him, trying some FuMa passes with L2, which i failed all hard, and tgat it was a blasphemy that i touched the L2 trigger, cause i am a little PA3-wh0r€. While on the opposite side i tried to play many manual passes as an act of Fairplay. He also wished me death,cancer, fire on my house and my family and many other best wishes like KONaMI and SoNY ban my console etc,etc...

I understand....literally I do.

But I didn´t necessarily mean myclub.
I guess that´s a whole different cup of tea. You have to win, to get GP, scouts, balls....whatever.

I was talking about a simple friendly online match.

And yes...there might be people out there thinking they are something better only because they are playing fuma and all the assisted players are too low for that.
I´m not like that.
I´d keep playing assisted, If PA1 was something I´m imagining. If it was like in PES 2011, I´d totally play it.

But since PES 2015 assisted passing felt and looked off to me.
It looks too direct to me and that´s just my personal opinion.
If people wanna play assisted, that´s fine. It´s something the game offers and that´s cool...use it as long you enjoy it.
Maybe it plays better this year...but since PES 2017 I switched to fuma and don´t wanna play nothing else no more.
I also don´t insist that my opponent has to play fuma as well.
I´m paying with my son and with my cousin a lot and they play assisted.
But directly together on the same console and that´s something different.
Online against a random opponent you mostly get paired with someone who wanna win at all costs...not only myclub, but also a simple 1 on 1 game.

That´s why I said in my previous post: best is to play with someone you know.
So many people here posted their PSN´s or Xbox names...I would say that 99% of all the users here just wanna play some decent football :)

So many people here posted their PSN´s or Xbox names...I would say that 99% of all the users here just wanna play some decent football :)
I've always been a bit conflicted about this notion. I struggle with it.

I want to play decent, realistic football and of course the way to do that is to play friends, and people from Evo-Web. And yet... The engine is still weighted against this, you can't ensure it (especially if you're not a manual player).

If I press the pass button a few times and spam silly first-time passes for a few seconds, I feel like I've cheated. But you can't "disable" this - and sometimes you do it without thinking because you see an opportunity - and you also can't stop your opponent from doing it, friend, Evo-Webber or otherwise. So sometimes you'll feel cheated.

Of course it's 100% better than playing myClub etc. but when the engine is clearly focused on a certain style, allows constant pressure without punishment versus another player, and reaction times are so bad, I find I'm making the best of a bad situation rather than having an absolute blast.

I often question - if response times were better, would that fix almost everything? (I really think it would, because you could evade pressure, and you could dribble without needing to ping-pong pass away from the constant danger.) Or would a bigger issue pop up?

Saying "that doesn't happen to me" and suggesting it's because of the way you personally play is tantamount to "therefore, you're doing it wrong". You could be pedantic enough to make some kind of argument of "if they complain about an issue I'm not having, they have an opportunity to change the way they play to fix it", or similar - that doesn't change anything. It's the same thing.

The engine isn't perfect and we're here to discuss the best bits and the worst bits, including the worst bits you (or others) don't experience because - I don't know, you play manual, you edit formations, you play on a different difficulty setting. They are workarounds. There are real issues. Whether they're issues to you or not.

If someone has a particular error happening and another person doesn't, surely there's value in understanding any differences between those two people. It doesn't in anyway mean this is not a major problem. But discussing in what situations it does and doesn't happen is the way you diagnose errors and discover how to fix them.

Obviously this is not (or at least shouldn't be) a BETA test. But I've not been in a single beta test where interrogating what is triggering an error has been met with such vitriol from both sides of an issue. I don't understand how we can't discuss the error itself without deciding one side or another is judging people for suffering/not suffering the error?

I want to play decent, realistic football and of course the way to do that is to play friends, and people from Evo-Web. And yet... The engine is still weighted against this, you can't ensure it (especially if you're not a manual player).

If I press the pass button a few times and spam silly first-time passes for a few seconds, I feel like I've cheated. But you can't "disable" this - and sometimes you do it without thinking because you see an opportunity - and you also can't stop your opponent from doing it, friend, Evo-Webber or otherwise. So sometimes you'll feel cheated.

Of course it's 100% better than playing myClub etc. but when the engine is clearly focused on a certain style, allows constant pressure without punishment versus another player, and reaction times are so bad, I find I'm making the best of a bad situation rather than having an absolute blast.

I think you hit the crux of it. Essentially, if to enjoy the 'truest' version of the game you find yourself having to deny yourself options available in the game then really it's an issue with the game. Offline and with friends you can sort of have an agreement in how to play, but online with a random match-up it can be very disappointing.

It's the modern day equivalent of 'no spinning' in table football :( (which also didn't guarantee success, but really limited what can happen in the game)

If someone has a particular error happening and another person doesn't, surely there's value in understanding any differences between those two people. It doesn't in anyway mean this is not a major problem. But discussing in what situations it does and doesn't happen is the way you diagnose errors and discover how to fix them.
There is a huge difference between "diagnosing issues" and some of the posts over the last few weeks. Let's leave it at that and try to discuss the game, and not camps of people. If I see one more post (not necessarily from you) along the lines of "gosh it's like some people want to convince others not to play the game" I'm going to snap, because it's such "people with different opinions from me must have an ulterior motive" horseshit and I'm sick of seeing people discussed, not the game.

I understand....literally I do.

But I didn´t necessarily mean myclub.
I guess that´s a whole different cup of tea. You have to win, to get GP, scouts, balls....whatever.

I was talking about a simple friendly online match.

And yes...there might be people out there thinking they are something better only because they are playing fuma and all the assisted players are too low for that.
I´m not like that.
I´d keep playing assisted, If PA1 was something I´m imagining. If it was like in PES 2011, I´d totally play it.

But since PES 2015 assisted passing felt and looked off to me.
It looks too direct to me and that´s just my personal opinion.
If people wanna play assisted, that´s fine. It´s something the game offers and that´s cool...use it as long you enjoy it.
Maybe it plays better this year...but since PES 2017 I switched to fuma and don´t wanna play nothing else no more.
I also don´t insist that my opponent has to play fuma as well.
I´m paying with my son and with my cousin a lot and they play assisted.
But directly together on the same console and that´s something different.
Online against a random opponent you mostly get paired with someone who wanna win at all costs...not only myclub, but also a simple 1 on 1 game.

Yes of course i got what you said 100%. I just posted it in a general consensus, it was the exception not the rule. I just took the pass to post it, was not connected directly to the couch multiplayer you describe, i grabbed the assist from your first quote "Random is painfull".
I meant that if you go in the expanded universe (online), with the same settings (FuMa), there is always the danger to meet some negativity. Or something less innocent like the power-gauge police, you know people studying all your game, policing if all your power-gauges were gold/yellow/orange/brown.
I don't intend to blame Fuma guys or PA3 guys. Just noticing that as bad experience can be to play against 11 R1 headless chicken Cronaldos, the same bad can be to play woth someone who is policing you for your settings, when filters don't work.

Have they introduced an option to filter out myClub teams in normal 2v2 online co-op yet?
I just want to play as AND against normal real-life teams?

It absolutely RUINS online co-op when you're playing against ridiculous overpowered myClub teams.....they've known about this complaint for ages as well.

I often question - if response times were better, would that fix almost everything? (I really think it would, because you could evade pressure, and you could dribble without needing to ping-pong pass away from the constant danger.) Or would a bigger issue pop up?

I understand what you mean.

But is the engine really that bad, that you can´t have some fun at all playing against someone that doesn´t pressure and rush all the time?
The engine ain´t perfect and will never be.
But if two guys wanna play some decent build up football and aren´t afraid to lose with focus on a great match,
I´d say it´s definitely possible to get some joy out of this.

fuck sake i was hoping the scripting would be gone in human vs human this year :(

But is the engine really that bad, that you can´t have some fun at all playing against someone that doesn´t pressure and rush all the time?
But if two guys wanna play some decent build up football and aren´t afraid to lose with focus on a great match,

I think the point is that if it is possible for one player to ruin the experience for another in how they play, it is issue with the engine.
Of course, arguably that is true of anything (like Team Killers in FPSs way back in the day before game auto-policed this). Also, even with the perfect game engine, playing against a player doing anything too 'un-football-like' (maybe deliberately scoring OGs, which I saw once in a game (years back) where my opponent was 3-0 down and they decide eff-it). At least with online as it stands (from most experiences I've seen), due to how fouls don't resolve properly at the moment, among other issues with the engine, blitz rushing is just a little too easy to gain success with online. This feels like it IS an issue with the engine.

And just to complete my confession (taking assist again from you, not debating :) ) The most nerve-breaking thing i usually read, is PA3 guys moaning that the AI auto-defending is reducing the "skill-gap" , while in the same time they play gegenpress with R1 glued with tape and PA3+autoaim headshots!!!! How im the name of god AI defending is noob friendly and AI auto attacking homing-missiles proves "skill-gap"@@!!??? (I hate this word really) :)
And that winning every match 7-5 shows skill-gap, when 1-0, 2-1 scorelines show randomness@!!

I think the point is that if it is possible for one player to ruin the experience for another in how they play, it is issue with the engine.
Of course, arguably that is true of anything (like Team Killers in FPSs way back in the day before game auto-policed this). Also, even with the perfect game engine, playing against a player doing anything too 'un-football-like' (maybe deliberately scoring OGs, which I saw once in a game (years back) where my opponent was 3-0 down and they decide eff-it). At least with online as it stands (from most experiences I've seen), due to how fouls don't resolve properly at the moment, among other issues with the engine, blitz rushing is just a little too easy to gain success with online. This feels like it IS an issue with the engine.

Yes, but we are turning in circles :LOL:

I agree with you, but again: best is to play against someone who plays fair and doesn´t play that way you mentioned ;)

Back
Top Bottom