eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I'd be super interested in reading your tweakings and your complete philosophy around it, to be honest (even if I'm on pc as well as Negatrev above).

I'd take the chance of your very interesting posts to say that I feel like Konami was too generous with player's skills. Too many even medium players have too much of them in my opinion. I wonder if it isn't part of the reason why we sometimes see confusion and players not playing as they should, I'd be curious to see what a whole tweak to that would do.

Not sure we can compare 17 and 20 as they are different beast (still relaying on big amount of shared code though) but DevinM from OperationSport found out that star players controlled by the AI were playing much more like their real life counter parts once the COM playing style attributes were removed. I actually made a video dedicated to Messi at that time that show that counter intuitively he was doing more tricks once those his cards were removed. He was using a bit too much his right foot to my liking though...

Below my experience with the 1.5 thus far. I put them in inside spoiler tags so i wont cause any placebo effect. Please first test yourself if you notice any changes at all.

Could be conincedence but i am having an incredible match. Tight midfield battles. Randomness all over the place. Tackling requires more precision. I can already see Adam reading this thinking "Dude, we really only changed some kits, these fans are getting crazier by the year".

Update:

Played another match. If any gameplay changes then in my experience it has to be first touch. Especially when you or the CPU makes a tackle then the magnetic force field to glue it to the feet of the tackler has been reduced. After a tackle you have a bigger change of getting the ball back because the ball is more free.
So this, my friend!!!
Don’t hide it in the spoilers. It’s true. :D

F me!! :) I played a lot of crystal vs city before the update. They smashed me 0:4, 1:3...
now i was playing 2 matches with the latest update. It’s more humanized. More error! They take more time on the ball (you can see it clearly as they are pass heavy team)! The 2 matches ended 1:1 and 1:2. Nothing is so clinical and direct any more. The force field seems less, yes. Agility of players is a little bit better (demo direction)!
Had some awesome long ranger from the AI.
Offensive defensive settings were set accordingly to the match situation. Had an eye an that.

Sure. I need to play more. But something changed to the good. As if they are polishing.
My heart is beating fast... need to play more.
Next up is ManUnited. Played both Manchester teams a lot before the patch.

Later guys. :)

Edit: it’s awesome. The players are much more argyle. This makes left stick dribbling much better. It really leans towards the demo!! Guys!! Play it!! I’m so happy after 3 matches. :)

Because the AI takes more time on the ball the whole pace is slower. More demo like as well. Randomness seems optimized. Sounds stupid but it’s more loose and 50/50. AI is not super fast and op in recovering balls or reacting to stuff I do. Humanized. ;) I can go through their lines while left stick dribbling only much better.

Last edited:
My heart is beating fast... bees to play more.
giphy.gif

Played some Quick online matchs. Its the mode I use tô better test If there was any positive change.

I dont know If its Just my mind. Maybe Im Just used to It now and its ALL placebo, maybe not.

But I swear I feel theres a change in game Pace online do the better for sure. Ball Just not roll ultra fast on the field. It feels a Lot more like the demo in terms of Pace but more responsive in a good way. Players dont turn so quickly and dont put the ball foward at afirst touch so Crazy fast.

Passing assistance from my opponents were not so direct and straight, It was a bit more "interceptable", and shooting was not só ridiculously accurate as the other day. Such a relief seeing the ball going ober the bar.

But since its PES that were talking about here, It can be a mess in the next day. We can never know lol

SURELY that means we're getting all the EURO stadiums
And the beautiful Stadium coming later
Only shame is that I have better atmosphere in my back garden.. :LOL:
Looking forward to testing this magic update tonight. Small and sneaky this monster patch, wasnt it? ;) :LOL:
im just teasing.. dont go all "racist" on me please..

How come whenever Konami update the game they remove contrast from the ‘brightness settings’ section? The colour of the game is all off balance for me again because I’d adjusted the contrast and brightness to be perfect.
If your playing with HDR enabled you wont have contrast just brightness setting.

If you dont have HDR enabled it sounds like a bug?

It's a shame you aren't on PC. If you were, you could simply give me a list of the player IDs, their current OVR and what you want their new OVR to be and I could probably automate the progressive stat increases (as I've already had to build algorithms in order to calculate OVR from base stats and I could easily reverse these in order to generate scaled increases on the stats based on position.

I wouldn't get the realistic effect i want by just getting bumping sets based on positions but thank you very much for offering. Konami is doing a piss poor job on way too many players stats, roles and skills. I mean they do alright and you'll have fun, but if you want more fun AND realism the tools are there.

For example bumping physical contact on forwards and mids with an emphasis on body control is one of the best upgrades i've made. The players duels become 1000x more enjoyable and realistic and it can make the players be as press resistant as in real life.

I have Messi at 82 physical contact and 98 body control to give you an idea on how to emulate mad good resistance when on the ball. I think i have Verratti around 73 PC and 95 BC for another example. Salah 84 PC and 92 BC. I'm having the best results with Neymar around 68 PC and 93 BC, he's amazing at keeping his flow despite contacts but little contact will make him stumble (he'll recover fast though)

What an amazing barebone game we have this year anyway. I can't oversell it enough, this game once tweaked plays incredible, thought we were like half a decade away from this kind of realism.

PLUS I just got laid off from my shitty work with a sweet severence package, so i'll be around for a while to make this project happen, must have a thousand hours in recent PES games testing and editing players so i'm competent at this point.

It's something i oughta do for the community, for some reason most editors don't focus on players and tactics when they're the two in-game things that can make the biggest difference in gameplay quality and realism.

Few tips waiting for the thread.

Try legend difficulty with -1 game speed. I tried it with my brand new teams, it plays absolutely wonderful. It's not even too hard, i've won one with PSG 2-1, drawn one and lost one 5-0 (i crumbled PSG style toward the end). Probably it's going to make pub teams unrealistically good but if you're playing against Liverpool/PSG kind of team you'll have the most accurate gameplay in legend imho.

Second, how much ball control impacts body dribbling. It was always written on there, "impact feints" but for some reason i missed how absolutely crucial it is to have a player being a good dribbler. It's all the fake moves around the ball and i'm pretty sure it improves your timing every time you let go of the stick before re-using it again (a must technique when dribbling, there's so much possible pace variations in this game, even pulling the stick half way through slows you down while still having an effect).

Similarly to what i was explaining about defensive prowess and ball winning, the more Dribbling > Ball Control the more the player will try and dribble through without stopping, that means no stops while on the ball, he'll keep dribbling using touches forward, which can make it easier to defend on. Saint-Maximin's set and playability is a good example of that with 80 ball control and 89 dribbling.

That's why i was very disappointed to see Hazard and Neymar being stupid with the ball due to just a +3 and +4 dribbling. Neymar's dribbling style is pretty much perfect with 96 ball control and 95 dribbling imo. His dribbling efficiency always came from flair and feints than from a strictly close control perspective. Keep in mind it's not an exact science, Neymar could do with a little less or a little more maybe, but arrows will do that for you (i have the percentage sheet for form arrows btw if anyone needs it)

What i'm trying to say is one stat alone doesn't define a player but together the relative values will.

the more low pass > lofted pass the less he'll pull long balls (bar long ball skills and AI playing style). The more explosive power > speed the more he'll accelerate in smaller perimeters. the more attacking prowess > finishing the more he'll find goalscoring chances but bottle them etc etc.

Something @klashman69 realized i think, we finally get to use the attacking fullbacks advanced instruction without having the deepest mid join the CBs in a line of 3 in possession. Just put him as a CM in possession and you'll have the holy grail: PES teams using the pitch in the same way real teams do. It's bloody wonderful.

I'm open to players sets requests. I can explain the thinking behind it as well.

Would the people interested rather i break down stats or playing styles first? or maybe i could just upload a couple of teams of tweaked players for you to try exhibition games with my modificiations and give me feedback.

I have an issue, that Superstar difficulty in my ML is from time to time sooooo easy to beat. CPU give me a lot of free spaces. CPU has 1 or 2 shots during the whole game. Of course, there are still tough matches ,like derby days, but it's not so much of it. I try to play on Legend difficulty, but it's not really a solution, cause i see that my players are nerfed, they are often unresponsible, and CPU сonverts almost each chance to a goal. Legend is far more playable than in PES 2019, but still something is missing there. I don't know what to do now. It's depressive.

I can't test the patch until Saturday so does anyone have an opinion about PA1? Still too assisted or closer to demo PA1?

What's happened to the crowd noise this year, I can hear a pin drop during most parts of the match.

You'd think it might get some attention now that custom chants have gone, I can't remember it ever being this bad

I wouldn't get the realistic effect i want by just getting bumping sets based on positions but thank you very much for offering. Konami is doing a piss poor job on way too many players stats, roles and skills. I mean they do alright and you'll have fun, but if you want more fun AND realism the tools are there.

For example bumping physical contact on forwards and mids with an emphasis on body control is one of the best upgrades i've made. The players duels become 1000x more enjoyable and realistic and it can make the players be as press resistant as in real life.

I have Messi at 82 physical contact and 98 body control to give you an idea on how to emulate mad good resistance when on the ball. I think i have Verratti around 73 PC and 95 BC for another example. Salah 84 PC and 92 BC. I'm having the best results with Neymar around 68 PC and 93 BC, he's amazing at keeping his flow despite contacts but little contact will make him stumble (he'll recover fast though)

What an amazing barebone game we have this year anyway. I can't oversell it enough, this game once tweaked plays incredible, thought we were like half a decade away from this kind of realism.

PLUS I just got laid off from my shitty work with a sweet severence package, so i'll be around for a while to make this project happen, must have a thousand hours in recent PES games testing and editing players so i'm competent at this point.

It's something i oughta do for the community, for some reason most editors don't focus on players and tactics when they're the two in-game things that can make the biggest difference in gameplay quality and realism.

Try legend difficulty with -1 game speed. I tried it with my brand new teams, it plays absolutely wonderful. It's not even too hard, i've won one with PSG 2-1, drawn one and lost one 5-0 (i crumbled PSG style toward the end). Probably it's going to make pub teams unrealistically good but if you're playing against Liverpool/PSG kind of team you'll have the most accurate gameplay in legend imho.

Second, how much ball control impacts body dribbling. It was always written on there, "impact feints" but for some reason i missed how absolutely crucial it is to have a player being a good dribbler. It's all the fake moves around the ball and i'm pretty sure it improves your timing every time you let go of the stick before re-using it again (a must technique when dribbling, there's so much possible pace variations in this game, even pulling the stick half way through slows you down while still having an effect).

Similarly to what i was explaining about defensive prowess and ball winning, the more Dribbling > Ball Control the more the player will try and dribble through without stopping, that means no stops while on the ball, he'll keep dribbling using touches forward, which can make it easier to defend on. Saint-Maximin's set and playability is a good example of that with 80 ball control and 89 dribbling.

That's why i was very disappointed to see Hazard and Neymar being stupid with the ball due to just a +3 and +4 dribbling. Neymar's dribbling style is pretty much perfect with 96 ball control and 95 dribbling imo. His dribbling efficiency always came from flair and feints than from a strictly close control perspective. Keep in mind it's not an exact science, Neymar could do with a little less or a little more maybe, but arrows will do that for you (i have the percentage sheet for form arrows btw if anyone needs it)

What i'm trying to say is one stat alone doesn't define a player but together the relative values will.

the more low pass > lofted pass the less he'll pull long balls (bar long ball skills and AI playing style). The more explosive power > speed the more he'll accelerate in smaller perimeters. the more attacking prowess > finishing the more he'll find goalscoring chances but bottle them etc etc.

Something @klashman69 realized i think, we finally get to use the attacking fullbacks advanced instruction without having the deepest mid join the CBs in a line of 3 in possession. Just put him as a CM in possession and you'll have the holy grail: PES teams using the pitch in the same way real teams do. It's bloody wonderful.

I'm open to players sets requests. I can explain the thinking behind it as well.

Would the people interested rather i break down stats or playing styles first? or maybe i could just upload a couple of teams of tweaked players for you to try exhibition games with my modificiations and give me feedback.

This is brilliant. I've been wondering for so long how to get com controlled messi playing g right.

Did you say your consolidating all this in a thread?

What's happened to the crowd noise this year, I can hear a pin drop during most parts of the match.

You'd think it might get some attention now that custom chants have gone, I can't remember it ever being this bad

Plug some headphones in. The difference is huge. The sound mix is so warped this year...

Τhis in my opinion, is not a bug, it is just bad coding. It shows that AI reacts to your controller input and not your players animation. Or better, for those who don't believe it, reading controller human input, is in higher priority for the AI than reacting to you cyber player's animation. In my opinion always.
Possibly. It's still present in the new update. Just replayed last night's match and did the same thing. Stood on the wing, 25 yards from goal with the ball. Put my control pad down, went and made a drink, went to the loo. Came back, still had the ball in the same position. Decided to see the game out as I was already winning.

Sort of gamebreaking really because nothing to stop me just doing that whenever I take the lead in a game. Ridiculous.

Possibly. It's still present in the new update. Just replayed last night's match and did the same thing. Stood on the wing, 25 yards from goal with the ball. Put my control pad down, went and made a drink, went to the loo. Came back, still had the ball in the same position. Decided to see the game out as I was already winning.

Sort of gamebreaking really because nothing to stop me just doing that whenever I take the lead in a game. Ridiculous.

Every single game has exploits.
Doesn't mean you should use them.

I get that you were just testing it out last night, but if you were playing an actual exhibition game or ML or Cup... why would you do that?. Why would you do that to yourself?.

I'm actually modified at least 1250 players so far in the Database, and i'm still go on.

What i'm doing is even put on the players with less height more Body control.

I mean...if i have player with height 165cm his Body control will be around 95/96...from players starting with 175cm and going up this value i'm starting from 75 and put less value if their height growing

For example a player with 180cm height will have like 71-72 of Body control

Or a player with 190cm height will have 64-65 of Body Control

I also put exact position for every player that i've modified, and i'm taking this data from Transfertmarkt.

One more thing is that i provided to modify more than 400 Goalkeeper in the game so far...I Think GK from high Overall that is 90(Alisson) till 80 Overall are around 40 in my Database...all the rest are below 80

This is the list in my DB about GK from 90 till 80 Overall

Alisson(LIVERPOOL)
Jan Oblak(ATLETICO MADRID)
Marc-André ter Stegen(BARCELLONA)
David De Gea(MANCHESTER UNITED)
Ederson(MANCHESTER CITY)
Manuel Neuer(BAYERN MONACO)
Thibaut Courtois(REAL MADRID)
Hugo Lloris(TOTTENHAM)
Wojciech Szczesny(JUVENTUS)
Samir Handanovic(INTER)
Keylor Navas(PSG)
Gianluigi Donnarumma(MILAN)
Anthony Lopes(LIONE)
Kepa(CHELSEA)
Bernd Leno(ARSENAL)
Gianluigi Buffon(JUVENTUS)
Neto(BARCELLONA)
Salvatore Sirigu(TORINO)
Stephane Ruffier(SAINT ETIENNE)
Alphonse Areola(REAL MADRID)
Pau Lòpez(AS ROMA)
Jordan Pickford(EVERTON)
Jasper Cillessen(VALENCIA)
Lukas Hradecky(BAYER LEVERKUSEN)
Rui Patricio(WOLVERHAMPTON)
Andrè Onana(AJAX)
Thomas Strakosha(LAZIO)
Benjamin Lecomte(AS MONACO)
Sergio Asenjo(VILLAREAL)
Lukasz Fabianski(WEST HAM)
Pepe Reina(MILAN)
Alex Meret(NAPOLI)
Alessio Cragno(CAGLIARI)
Tomas Vaclik(SIVIGLIA)
Fernando Muslera(GALATASARAY)
Martin Dúbravka('NEWSCASTLE)
Mike Maignan(LILLE)
Joroen Zoet(PSV)
Franco Armani(RIVER PLATE)
Steve Mandanda(MARSIGLIA)
Benoit Costil(BORDEAUX)
Walter Benitez(NIZZA)
Odisseas Vlachodimos(BENFICA)

And what i thought since long time is that the cards in this game are crap and just ruining the game

I saw a lot players overrated from Konami, and i saw a lot of stats incredibly no sense and too high from my point of view.

Last edited:
So...how'd they do that then??
Kept all the tightness and compact ness of 1.4 and then add back in a fair bit of the freedom, looseness and lightness of v1.00/demo?
And make the AI better in attack (even more realistic).
And stop defenders predicting every feint again whilst never falling for them? Now you can go right up to them and feint, whereas before you just go locked into them so dare not take that dribble risk. This is great evidence that they've changed something because it's easily testable.

Maybe it's all placebo but who cares?! On my ps4, it plays better than y-day and I've been replaying the same man city vs liverpool and Barca vs juve matches for days.

As someone who lept pretty much from 1.00 to 1.4, the loss of those things above was stark. The return of them is just as stark...

My own attacking team AI is far more dynamic now to the extent I quite miss the fact that on 1.4 you had to wait for players to make their runs...

Anyway, could all be session variance or those famous few matches after a patch where wonderful (placebonic) things happen. But right now, feels bloody fresh and alive...

The variety and randomness is insane now. Seeing so much that is new. I feel as if we are playing a next-gen PES 6 it is magical. Like those little Japanese men and Adam Bhatti got the fun fairydust and sprinkled it all over the game!

This honestly feels like Fifa 09 when you thought hold on a minute here this is actually special.

I just hope people start migrating to the series now as the gameplay utterly derserves it.

Anyone who grew up with Iss and PES must adore this latest patch. Love it.

The variety and randomness is insane now. Seeing so much that is new. I feel as if we are playing a next-gen PES 6 it is magical. Like those little Japanese men and Adam Bhatti got the fun fairydust and sprinkled it all over the game!

This honestly feels like Fifa 09 when you thought hold on a minute here this is actually special.

I just hope people start migrating to the series now as the gameplay utterly derserves it.

If Konami don't get fantastic UI and in game presentation right, no matter how good gameplay is, most gamers wont come near PES. (Yes, that includes all graphics and commentary).

And for God's sake i really hate the eFootball PES name. In a world where shorter names actually aid sales, its been a daft choice to lengthen the name. If they must, why didnt they just change it to eFootball20 then progress from there eFootball21 etc.

PES is still iconic though.

Yeah.. i think it is in a very better shape now. CPU ai doing powerful header with appropriate from distance was never seen before in any PES next gen iteration.
I feel like playing vs human.. kind of.

Back
Top Bottom