eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

So I was lucky to win my third game in LaLiga. :)

1:0 behind and then the new guys were rocking!! First Coric, chesting it down oh so lovely and having a blast after that... under the cross bar!! He definitely arrived in Las Palmas (scores the winning goal in match 1 as well)! :D

Then I had another penalty (my 4th in PES2020 ML) and another new guy (Kokorin) scored from the spot!! :D

And finally a scene where I get out of trouble with the use of RS and LS! When it workes it looks awesome. Sure you need balls to do it! ;) and some skilled player plus luck (like irl)! :D

Love that game right now!

But enough of the videos....! :) btw: please don’t mind the crappy quality of the videos. I ain’t putting up “non-proof” videos to my YouTube channel. Just a quick post to share the love. ;)

Greetings too all community members from a happy gamer!! :BOP: ...who's off now playing some more. :)

Edit: funny side story:
the penalty was drawn by Raphinha. He’s a new guy in my team too. Playing LWF and he arrived with no special traits. First player I gave a special training was, you guessed it, Raphinha! And guess what trait? ;)
Gamesmanship!! :)
Love that game right now!!

:LOVE:

Nice videos!

Guess I need to put that in my sig
"Love that game right now!" :)

Count me in, as I´m one of those either, because.....

Love that game right now!

@Negatrev Thanks for sharing those.
I meant more dribbling around a player, not nutmegs, enticing the player in, shifting the ball, going past him, is what I really streuggle with as no matter what i try the defender always just tackles.

And as nice a goal as it was, despite the ball defying laws of physics, that shot you posted above, is from 20 yards, I don't consider those range shots, I score plenty of those, I'm talking 30+ yards, every single one I take that is on target is met with a diving salmon flap save by the GK, not one has gone in, in over 300+ ML matches.
I know those range of goals are not every game occurrences in real life and wouldn't want them to be in PES, but you see at least 3 or 4 true long range thunderbastards every season in the Prem league, PES20 seems to nerf them though.

This is two of the videos I posted.

Last edited:
I don’t remember it, tbh. Played only that Ranger ML on 1.0 and had so many matches after that (with the updated versions). Really can’t tell. Sorry.

no probs - sounds like I won't be missing much now if I went for a physical copy so I've decided to get a PS4 digital

thanks

no probs - sounds like I won't be missing much now if I went for a physical copy so I've decided to get a PS4 digital

thanks
At this point - i dont think you will be missing much. Its too much to trade. Not having kits will be wrecking your head, coz Pes has extremely shallow presentation itself. Without kits its even worse.
But most importantly - AI is really quite solid and unpredictable now. There is a nice amount of 'human' behaviour and errors there (at least on lower difficulties)
Patches might have taken some of the freedom that user had, but AI was definetely improved.

Sometimes I tell myself: humans are just humans. They do fall back into their genuine pattern a lot of the time.
And i’m no different. So I can understand that some users will never experience some curtain ingame situations and/or others will have different experiences.
This is not me judging “the other side”, I just want to make some sense of why we differ in our experiences so hard sometimes. :)

same time I’m asking myself: “pro, why do you care?! You are having a lot of fun with this; don’t mind others!”
But I want you to see what I see, feel what I feel, get over the flaws, enjoy what’s under the hood, try new thinks, carve new paths, learn new tricks, play football.
I had to change some ways I do approach 2020 myself and I am enjoying it a lot. Wish more users would be able!!

Have a good day y’all!! :BYE:

Last edited:
Regarding Aggression you are right it is defende related stat. Pesmaster sorts it to def and most important, if you press the left touch pad on DS4, it explains what it is about, it is something about defence, don't remember the exact description .
What i do for these years "new stats" , when i create players for my OF, i go to their pes15 or pes14 version and i use from the combined abilities stats page : 1) for 'Tight Possession' the old stat 'Ball Retention' , i find it 75% accurate.

2) for 'Aggression' i use 'Intercepting' , it is not even 50% accurate, but is is the closest from rest combined abilities eith a defensive orientation.

As for rain and snow, if it is not due to my TV and brightness settings, it must be the biggest regression in weather effect graphics in pes history. Snow seems worse than the SNES ISS snowing, and rain is like some kind of mud is pouring from sky.

Aggression should be linked at 95% as "Pressure" in real life ;)

Last edited:

Well don't know about "people", but that's why I say there still is dribbling in the full game.

Was this online of offline?

@digimon Yeah shielding turning away from the player is all well and good, by dribbling I mean, having possession of the ball, running up to a defender, one on one and going around him via the use of fakes, change of direction, speed burst etc, i know your vids had a few instances of that in, but most were turn and shield.

@digimon Yeah shielding turning away from the player is all well and good, by dribbling I mean, having possession of the ball, running up to a defender, one on one and going around him via the use of fakes, change of direction, speed burst etc, i know your vids had a few instances of that in, but most were turn and shield.
all offline, superstar. It's from 1.02 if I remember correctly, which was even worse than this one, but I also have a bunch I recorded recently from my Genoa ML if you want.

I've posted a load of shot fakes as a while back people were saying they didn't work in this version. I literally posted one only yesterday that you watched than had shot fake, change of direction AND speed burst.

Well here it is anyway:

Bunch of really random ones, the last is the same from two different angles. I recently installed stadium server and I forgot it fucks up replays, it's a shame because the complete action was much cooler with another close one in the end.

I recently installed stadium server and I forgot it fucks up replays, it's a shame because the complete action was much cooler with another close one in the end.
Does it? What does it break? I literally only played around with Stadium Server (and the GFXMOD) last night.

Does it? What does it break? I literally only played around with Stadium Server (and the GFXMOD) last night.

Unfortunately when you go see replays from the gallery main menu, the ones in custom stadiums appear practically completely black (as it was adviced). Luckily "live" ones are fine, tho (I mean if you watch replays during the match there is no problem).

Unfortunately when you go see replays from the gallery main menu, the ones in custom stadiums appear practically completely black (as it was adviced). Luckily "live" ones are fine, tho (I mean if you watch replays during the match there is no problem).
I see. I rarely save replays in the game now that I've got NVidia capture working. So I guess it's worth it for the stadia.

A few more examples

All offline on superstar in master league

Also did you watch the full two videos? There's plenty of examples of me faking past players and bursting away. I just smartly combine shield and turning with right and left stick feints because that's how your meant to dribble in real life.

Two more examples

Last edited:
Dribbling is the art of going past players 1 on 1. How is ghat not shown in those videos?
And you can find a bunch of dribbling scenes by the ai in this vid, not just turning and holding the ball but actually taking on defenders and advance on the pitch. In 2020 the ai would have passed the ball sideways or to the back to force a one two with Hulk for about 5 times at least. The fact is the likes of Ronaldo and Messi arent really scary when they controlled by the ai, they can shoot and head the ball but thats about it.

Whatever.. CPU behaviour wasn't in discussion, we were talking about dribbling by the user and there is enough as we proved above. It's not state of art but it's there nonetheless and it's certainly not only shielding and turning.

And you can find a bunch of dribbling scenes by the ai in this vid, not just turning and holding the ball but actually taking on defenders and advance on the pitch. In 2020 the ai would have passed the ball sideways or to the back to force a one two with Hulk for about 5 times at least. The fact is the likes of Ronaldo and Messi arent really scary when they controlled by the ai, they can shoot and head the ball but thats about it.

I wasn't talking about the ai. I was talking about myself. That's me dribbling not ai.

In those videos I advance up the pitch what's your point?

Dear me. ML is utterly fucked. The scripting is disgusting. Twice I’ve played the same game 3 times, different line-ups and tactics, same outcome in every game. First game I went into, Liverpool away, 2 points behind them, 3 behind City in first. Drew 1-1 against Liverpool each time. They had 2 penalties for nothing, and I got a red card for a foul outside the box. I created more chances, more shots and was twice taken out when clean through, not even a yellow. Second time West Ham at home, 2 points off the top now, still in 3rd. Lost all 3 games 2-1, on each occasion West Ham scored with their only 2 attempts following an early goal for me, then just passed around the pitch. Couldn’t get close enough to the players and if it looked like I would get a loose ball or near their players, I was suddenly controlling the wrong man, or my player stopped moving or was stuck in treacle. The most striking aspect, when a counter attack opportunity presented itself, I ran it to the halfway line and not a single player kept up, they just didn’t try so I was 2-1 down at home and had 1 player in the oppositions half having ran from the edge of my own area and no support within the same half. Just horrendous.

In general, through pass is completely null and void. For years playing PES I played with short pass to play to feet, through pass to play into space for players to run on to. Just isn’t possible on this one. You’re lucky if 1 in 20 through passes are 2 of right angle, direction and pace, nevermind all 3. It’s marginally better than lobbed through ball though, which is essentially just a method to use to get the ball back to the nearest opponent or the goalkeeper efficiently. Which brings me to crosses. Every cross, no matter the direction, position struck from, quality of crosser, speed they’re moving at, space the crosser has, whatever.. straight to the keeper. Every. Time. Appalling.

Special mention for the brutal, telepathic defending of the AI. Telepathic inch perfect slide tackles time and time again. Players flying in from all over the show with last minute blocks and lunges.. managing to get a touch on any and every forward pass or shot.. my players slide tackles generally involve apologetic lying down somewhere a safe distance from the action. Then there’s the hold them off mode.. if the AI decides they’re keeping the ball, they get their back turned and it’s over. Nothing you can do but give a foul away or accept you can’t have the ball, ever. Now I try it and the AI just gives me a delicate shove in the back and wanders off with the ball, no sweat. Also, what’s with players being stunned into stillness by the slightest of touches from a defender. AI can be tackled, hit the deck, get up and take the ball away, slight nudge and the ensuing confusion has my player stood stock still for seconds.. also, every slide tackle knocks my player off balance and results in them face planting 10 feet away while the defenders are back on their feet recovering the loose ball.

Then we have the action delay protocol.. running with the ball, drawn the defender, the pass is on, press pass...... player does nothing giving the defender time to close down and block the pass. Ball into the striker or advancing midfielder.. we’re after touch and shot.. no. Touch, then sluggish delay before smashing it into the shins of the defender who is now an inch away. Also when shooting the superhuman performance of the AI keepers with anything over 10 yards out. They fly through the air with the greatest of ease, plucking the ball from the top corners with *** abandon.

The passing is what really irks at present though. Every standard pass is behind the intended target or just lazily knocked into the defender anywhere in the region of the path you intended for the ball. Long pass is pointless looping nonsense unless switching the play (which the AI absolutely abused when it suits btw), and then if the recipient isn’t completely alone you’ve lost the ball.

The foul system. The fucking foul system. Good God fucking damn, the foul system. The amount of times I’ve got beyond a defender and watched helplessly as the defender drags my attacker back, holds him in place while the ball rolls harmlessly out/past/back to the keeper, never a foul. The endless body checks, blocking off, pausing from running with the ball to just shove your player off (usually into the confused standing pause allowing them to get away). The fact in Derbies that the opposition will smash the living daylights out of you in the middle 6 eighths of the pitch, stopping all flow and attacking momentum, often without punishment and if you do manage to sneak past this onslaught they will just block/obstruct/smash/pull back any attacker that deigns to get near goal without prejudice or remorse, completely without fear of reprisals, as there won’t be any. It’s absolutely murder.

On top of all of the above, I’ve now noticed my RB develop a penchant for wandering about watching while miles out of position, showing no interest in actually chasing back or heading for his position, and I’ve switched them about, changed instructions etc. they all do it.. the opposition needs a goal and suddenly the best defenders in the World inexplicably decide to step up 5 yards just as the oppositions CM threads the perfect through ball leaving recovery a forlorn hope, fullbacks tuck too far in or just don’t come back, CM go AWOl despite not having been dragged out of position or under pressure, huge great chasms appear throughout the defence giving the AI all the options in the World to pick you apart.

The issue of players not reacting, the wrong player being selected that existed prior to the last patch still remains, not quite as bad but occasionally utterly ridiculous and infuriating.

Honestly could go on and on and on (I have already...)

Oh, and the colour palette is dire. Kits clash regardless of colours and the lurid green grass ruins the retinas, and the sound effects are pathetic when all said and done.

Menus and use of them is agony and the wording of the cutscenes, messages and news items laughable. For £45k a year I would dedicate my life to helping them with the minute details that make all the difference and ensuring they’re all correct and take great pride in doing it.

Other than all that, it’s pretty good.

I hope the next patch is basically a huge extension kit that turns it into an actual football game..
You so right!!!! :D :D

:D
He must be playing PA1 or above!
For example: Passing and crossing... it can be so lovely with full manual controls!
I think that crossing is by far the hardest part of manual passing, and I love it. The first time I made a cross like Henderson's one that went over Bravo on Sunday; it was so satisfying :)

Whatever.. CPU behaviour wasn't in discussion, we were talking about dribbling by the user and there is enough as we proved above. It's not state of art but it's there nonetheless and it's certainly not only shielding and turning.
I cannot believe people are posting videos of PES 2008 onwards and wanting PES 2020 to be like them. 🤮 PES 2008-2016 were abominations. The dribbling in them should never be used for reference!

I think that crossing is by far the hardest part of manual passing, and I love it. The first time I made a cross like Henderson's one that went over Bravo on Sunday; it was so satisfying :)
It’s awesome sometimes. I have so many possibilities, it’s crazy.
First there is directions. Aim wherever you want, the ball goes there (keep in mind good body position, momentum, player skills plus traits and/or if an opponent is near by and where)!
Then there is power. In combination with the before mentioned you can do even more. Short, long, mid pen area.
On top of that, there is button modifier for the 2 things above. Bring the ball in regular, more drilled with L1 or lobbed with R2.
And to round it all up: it makes a difference if you are sprinting, running or standing.
So many possibilities with crossing alone!
And i bet there is more. Stuff that I don’t know of.

If we’d do the math on that one feature alone (what we aren’t doing because we just want to have fun with a video game, right?! ;) )... you know the result! ;)

Edit: and then I have to read comments like “it is impossible to cross and EVERY ball goes to the keeper”! If it really is like that (and i cant image that really) on PA1 and above, I feel sorry for the users. Really. And i hope they’ll try full manual some time. If only for comparison reasons.

Last edited:
It’s awesome sometimes. I have so many possibilities, it’s crazy.
First there is directions. Aim wherever you want, the ball goes there (keep in mind good body position, momentum, player skills plus traits and/or if an opponent is near by and where)!
Then there is power. In combination with the before mentioned you can do even more. Short, long, mid pen area.
On top of that, there is button modifier for the 2 things above. Bring the ball in regular, more drilled with L1 or lobbed with R2.
And to round it all up: it makes a difference if you are sprinting, running or standing.
So many possibilities with crossing alone!

If we’d do the math in that one feature alone (what we aren’t doing because we just want to have fun with a video game ;) )... you know the result! ;)

Yes, may favourite is R2 to just inside the back post. I once accidentally scored direct from that as well!

PS. I love my player trying to head it in and steal the goal even though he's miles away from it!

100 times this!
I agree!

Master league.. What's happened? You can't check the other teams results like you used to be able to do at the end of the game you have to wait until you get back to to the main menu.

Back
Top Bottom