eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

So I bought a PS4 Pro on Black Friday and loaded the demo again (normally playing full game on the PC, latest patch).

Unbelievable, how good that game was, so many contextual and unpredictable things, space around your players, speed and acceleration mattering. What have they done...

The scripting in ML is killing this experience for me. You’re simply not allowed to stay in form.

The form arrows BS needs replacing too. One game my striker is on flashing green arrow and scored two goals. Next game He’s got a red down arrow. Why?!

You can’t choose a consistent team in PES. So unrealistic.

Form arrows based on the player FORM ability. Nothing more. Not his actual performance is involved ingame.
I agree that should also be in the equation and you should be able to train the form of the players once a week sacraficing the stamina like in the old PES games.

In ML if you play against a lower team (if you have 3.5 star team and opp is 3) it is a nightmare especially on legend.. opp stats are boosted due to handicapping. Not only mental but physical stats are boosted too.. they play superhumanish... it is also same thing when u play against a 5 star team while you are 3.5, your players stats get boosted.. handicapping is the cheapest thing to implement which ruins the game... i understand why they put it into game but it is not eaquilty.. which team is stronger on paper let them be stronger on pitch too Konami.... thats why many hardcore pes fans play league and cup instead of ML because handicapping is in worst at ML, also team spirit included there... i make experiments on exhibitions.. i take man city and play against championship teams it becomes a nightmare and too much challenging... then i take a 2 star team against liverpool and i dominate the game.. it ruins joy .. many of us call it scripting but it is handicapping

In ML if you play against a lower team (if you have 3.5 star team and opp is 3) it is a nightmare especially on legend.. opp stats are boosted due to handicapping. Not only mental but physical stats are boosted too.. they play superhumanish... it is also same thing when u play against a 5 star team while you are 3.5, your players stats get boosted.. handicapping is the cheapest thing to implement which ruins the game... i understand why they put it into game but it is not eaquilty.. which team is stronger on paper let them be stronger on pitch too Konami.... thats why many hardcore pes fans play league and cup instead of ML because handicapping is in worst at ML, also team spirit included there... i make experiments on exhibitions.. i take man city and play against championship teams it becomes a nightmare and too much challenging... then i take a 2 star team against liverpool and i dominate the game.. it ruins joy .. many of us call it scripting but it is handicapping
On old versions of need for speed there was an option on setting called CATCH UP .. you could turn it on/off.. wish to have such a setting on PES too for offline modes.. they just make it to game even for casual players on online game modes but it ruins realism and joy for offline players ... i wish thet sort it out on future versions but i am not optimistic.. they would be afraid to change it and lose casual players interest which they make real money from...

Anyone playing it on 1.00 atm? Tempted to switch back, seemed to be more free and unpredictable, but hey maybe im wrong, its been that long
I played the vanilla (1.0 from disc) Monday and Tuesday this week. The ball pace and physics are nicer. But even when I upped the difficulty from professional to top player, the AI was to tame when going into 1on1’s with me. I guess the first update brought significant AI improvements.

Vanilla and 1.5 both offer some good stuff the other version don’t have. For me, the better overall package is 1.5!

Wish they’d make the 1.5 AI a little less aggressive all over the pitch. That would help out so many flawed situations. I think it could have the most impact on the whole game if only that one screw got turned a little.

Edit: btw, the foul count was another part being different. Again, tone down that aggression from 1.5 AI.

And another small thing that really would be easy to fix (and would have a massive positive reaction to what’s happening on the pitch, imo): that stumbling animation when the AI picks the ball from your feet. It’s ok for me if it’s not called a foul every time, I got somehow used to it. But don’t f me twice when loosing the ball AND initiating that animation (leaving nearly zero chance of getting it back)!

2 small things that would have a big positive impact, imo. But hey, I’m not a programmer or have a clue about big business. I’m just a passionate football fan with ideas. :)

Last edited:
There are two major gamebreakers for me in this game if i just accept scripting/ai cheating is just there.

1. You cant play v the ai since it never dribbles, never uses the world star players as it should. Its lacking player ID there.
2. You cant play v a friend since whenever you have a direct freekick you can just cheat a goal with any kind of player, regardless its rating.

While all the games from PES2009-PES2013 werent really perfect almost in every department, PES2020 could be the best PES game but has major gamebreakers where some the fundamentals are just screwed up for no reason. Just take into notice we had to cry 6 years about varied shooting and shooting error to have it again. Shocking some gameplay features still left barebone.

There are two major gamebreakers for me in this game if i just accept scripting/ai cheating is just there.

1. You cant play v the ai since it never dribbles, never uses the world star players as it should. Its lacking player ID there.
2. You cant play v a friend since whenever you have a direct freekick you can just cheat a goal with any kind of player, regardless its rating.

While all the games from PES2009-PES2013 werent really perfect almost in every department, PES2020 could be the best PES game but has major gamebreakers where some the fundamentals are just screwed up for no reason. Just take into notice we had to cry 6 years about varied shooting and shooting error to have it again. Shocking some gameplay features still left barebone.
1. Why does this stop you playing? You can still play the game and it can still be a good challenge. I do wish certain AI controlled players dribble more (they do, but it's rare), but it doesn't stop me having a challenge to beat.
2. I choose to play the game in front of me. In this version, if you're playing a human it's simply a really bad idea to foul within 30 years of goal. So just play like the penalty area is a little bit bigger and games are fine.

I understand the game has all sorts of issues. But nothing makes it so you can't enjoy a great game. I'd rather not have these issues of course, but it's still the best football game I've played for quite a long time.

1. Why does this stop you playing? You can still play the game and it can still be a good challenge. I do wish certain AI controlled players dribble more (they do, but it's rare), but it doesn't stop me having a challenge to beat.
2. I choose to play the game in front of me. In this version, if you're playing a human it's simply a really bad idea to foul within 30 years of goal. So just play like the penalty area is a little bit bigger and games are fine.

I understand the game has all sorts of issues. But nothing makes it so you can't enjoy a great game. I'd rather not have these issues of course, but it's still the best football game I've played for quite a long time.

1. With all the realistic and almost perfect aspects of the gameplay, having Messi the easiest opponent who you can push off the ball sticks out like a sore thumb. Its like in a shooter the strongest enemy would be the weakest or something.
2. Ehm no. I want to play football. :D For that i even scored the set pieces the lowest in the Konami survey. But im on the topic for 2-3 years now, too bad that almost no one cares about it or just think direct free kicks just fine as they are.

1. With all the realistic and almost perfect aspects of the gameplay, having Messi the easiest opponent who you can push off the ball sticks out like a sore thumb. Its like in a shooter the strongest enemy would be the weakest or something.
2. Ehm no. I want to play football. :D For that i even scored the set pieces the lowest in the Konami survey. But im on the topic for 2-3 years now, too bad that almost no one cares about it or just think direct free kicks just fine as they are.

It's still football. It's not like you're switching to playing 3-and-in, the ease of freekicks just alters a little how dangerous fouling in that region is (so a minor alteration of risk assessment). If you want to cut off your nose, that fine. It just seems like a strange line in the sand to draw to stop you playing a great football game.

Yeah @gabe.paul.logan im with Positrev on this one. These 2 examples stopped you playing?! Hm...
still fair, as it’s you personal choice. 🤝
I would get it if it was about the fouls, shooting variety or 1on1 battles...
But it isn’t about me understanding, it’s about you having fun with a video game!! :)

Anyway. Like the civilized discussion a lot!! :APPLAUD:

It's still football. It's not like you're switching to playing 3-and-in, the ease of freekicks just alters a little how dangerous fouling in that region is (so a minor alteration of risk assessment). If you want to cut off your nose, that fine. It just seems like a strange line in the sand to draw to stop you playing a great football game.

Im too old to put up such non sense probably and something is easy to fix (old games had dribbling player ID and challenging free kicks). Im just tired of PES having the same loop of problems. I wouldnt even mind the scripting or the barebone ML at this point if theyd get the fundamentals as they should be.

This game is a passing simulator. Nothing more, nothing less.

You’re forced to quickly pass the ball or the CPU will magically tackle you and win possession back.

Pass, pass, pass, PES 2020.

The game simply isn’t very good. As a package and as a video game. These stadia and ‘atmospheres’ are quite frankly laughable for a game in 2019.

You’re forced to quickly pass the ball or the CPU will magically tackle you and win possession back.

The game simply isn’t very good. As a package and as a video game. These stadia and ‘atmospheres’ are quite frankly laughable for a game in 2019.
If you're only passing, you're missing out on a lot of the game. The dribbling is very rewarding this year (just started out a lot harder than previous years). Crossing is the best I've ever seen it.

The presentation of PES has pretty much always been worse than it's main rival, I would love this to improve. However, I will always choose better game-play and worse presentation over the opposite.

Totally disagree here! :)

Last edited:
I love the dribbling, really starting to master it with the right players. I also love the crossing and find it very realistic in terms of body position, timing and precision. Headers are well done in terms of scoring them, it's about the timing of the cross and also when you press to actually meet the ball. Headers in the middle of the field though are a bit flat, not enough variation in how the AI takes goal kick. It's pretty much always straight or a short pass to their defenders. It needs mixing up more and also better freedom in the loosness of the ball in midfield.

I agree wholeheartedly that player ID is really lacking in the AI department and actually, the variety in the AI attacks is shockingly bad. 180 Turn and shoot in or just outside the box from the AI is ruining the game for me.

Anybody noticed the keepers lateral movement in 1v1's is messed up as well? They leave huge gaps and don't move to cover the space or position themselves correctly.

So many elements of the game are great and then let down badly by some glaringly bad ones.

I feel the game could really be rectified with a good gameplay patch from Konami but fear it's just not going to happen. :(

The presentation of PES has pretty much always been worse than it's main rival, I would love this to improve. However, I will always choose better game-play and worse presentation over the opposite.
Thats true. Bad presentation is neither new nor surprising.
Although the gameplay in previous years felt more.. captivating.
Not talking about 19, coz that was some abomination offline.
But 17 and even 18 were able to suck me in for many many seasons.
20 is just boring after a while. Constant grind is getting tedious.
I dont even know what else could I do with this game to catch my interest again. Im already on full manual, klashman tactis on all the main leagues.
At some point this game just became boring.
Add to it repetitive and utterly unexciting Master League and you have an answer to why am I currently on the other side, enjoying randomness, unpredictability, variety and plenty to do in Career Mode..

Thats true. Bad presentation is neither new nor surprising.
Although the gameplay in previous years felt more.. captivating.
Not talking about 19, coz that was some abomination offline.
But 17 and even 18 were able to suck me in for many many seasons.
20 is just boring after a while. Constant grind is getting tedious.
I dont even know what else could I do with this game to catch my interest again. Im already on full manual, klashman tactis on all the main leagues.
At some point this game just became boring.
Add to it repetitive and utterly unexciting Master League and you have an answer to why am I currently on the other side, enjoying randomness, unpredictability, variety and plenty to do in Career Mode..
Try minor leagues and players.
I like it when I face the big ones 2 times a season. But I try to play minor leagues and players. Sure it’s becoming a problem somehow when everything is top notch. In PES that is.
Shouldn’t be a prob playing top teams! But again... PES ain’t got that balance right.

If you're only passing, you're missing out on a lot of the game. The dribbling is very rewarding this year (just started out a lot harder than previous years). Crossing is the best I've ever seen it.

Not having that old argument. Gameplay is king, yes. But PES 2020 is dull after 10 games. I’ve got no desire to go back to it again. It looks and feels like a game from 2009. It’s 2020 in 4 weeks time.

And I don’t JUST pass. Your posts are always so condescending - like the rest of us are playing it wrong or playing a different game to you. The game doesn’t let me play how I want to because it’s too damn scripted. I play in Superstar because the game is far too easy otherwise. But for the challenge you trade freedom on the ball, randomness and FUN. PES 2020 is a stiff, archaic, limited experience on the pitch and also off of it.

As others have said, even PES 2017 had more going for it than this. If I could use just one word to sum up PES 2020? Tedious.

Last edited:
Do you find that SS difficulty this year is easier than previous year? Is there anybody who still find Superstar difficulty challenging?

Im too old to put up such non sense probably and something is easy to fix (old games had dribbling player ID and challenging free kicks). Im just tired of PES having the same loop of problems. I wouldnt even mind the scripting or the barebone ML at this point if theyd get the fundamentals as they should be.

there were 2 randoms on here 2-3 weeks ago saying they modded players stats to get players playing like irl

never heard from them

konami goons.

Do you find that SS difficulty this year is easier than previous year? Is there anybody who still find Superstar difficulty challenging?
As full manual i took a team from division 2 .. easy 1st place .. and 2nd year at la liga i was second .. on third year i won every game 38/38 on ss ... i need to play legend as challangong but is is super cheating and unreaponsive on legend... the most reasonable solutiion: i play llegend against stronger teams and on SS against lower rank teams due to handicapping

Not having that old argument. Gameplay is king, yes. But PES 2020 is dull after 10 games. I’ve got no desire to go back to it again. It looks and feels like a game from 2009. It’s 2020 in 4 weeks time.

And I don’t JUST pass. Your posts are always so condescending - like the rest of us are playing it wrong or playing a different game to you. The game doesn’t let me play how I want to because it’s too damn scripted. I play in Superstar because the game is far too easy otherwise. But for the challenge you trade freedom on the ball, randomness and FUN. PES 2020 is a stiff, archaic, limited experience on the pitch and also off of it.

As others have said, even PES 2017 had more going for it than this. If I could use just one word to sum up PES 2020? Tedious.

I said if you only pass. If you read your original post you can understand how you might give someone this impression...

All I have to say is I’ve never hit so many poles or cross bars as I have in pes 2020. It’s kinda laughable at this point

1575200367807-png.26593

Grêmio team's Brazilian stadium, which will arrive at DP3, December 5

Attachments

• 1575200367807.png
    1575200367807.png
    859.7 KB · Views: 165
So I bought a PS4 Pro on Black Friday and loaded the demo again (normally playing full game on the PC, latest patch).

Unbelievable, how good that game was, so many contextual and unpredictable things, space around your players, speed and acceleration mattering. What have they done...

I'm tempted to go back to 1.0 and begin an ML.
I don't know but all the latter editions just feel more dull and predictable because they have been "tightened" up. Or maybe it is because I have now played 100 plus games on it and its getting boring, whereas on demo/1.00 this was not the case.
We will see.

We are almost on year of 2020 and there is still delay and unreaponsive issue on pes gameplay.. im talking about offline gaming btw... still skill moves take time after inputs. On legend difficulty it is in horrible situation.. your players are more unresponsive and ai defenders are more superhumanish.. how can we survive konami?? Ok strengthen cpu defenders on harder difficulty but do not interfere my players stats and responsiveness at least

Back
Top Bottom