eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Sometimes teams just play so passively... it's weird.

This is all on professional, all regular league/cup mode. Yesterday I was playing euro qualifiers with Greece and Superliga with Argentinos. Stronger teams would really push me around at times and I lost to Boca 2:0 with no chance at all. Barely scraped by against England, got a last minute equalizer (i needed a draw to finish 2nd), had really close tough games against Gimnasia LP and Slovakia, beat Gibraltar easily. All was good and fun and challenging.

Today, I am playing a CL with Young Boys. In my group I have Benfica, Arsenal, and Bayer. I played them once each and in every game I am dominating, opponents are acting like rabbits in front a snake, very timid, defensive... It's still hard to break down their defense and the difference in players' skills results in the other team being able to put together an effective move once or twice per match and finish well, so I am at four points now, but the way the games are is so unnatural. I completely dominate them. Bayer didn't even try to come to my half of the field while losing 0:1 at home. Benfica was a complete pushover. Arsenal I lost to, but very unfair result, because I was completely the boss in the game, but didn't finish well.

What is this nonsense? If there is one major issue for me in this game, it's that right there.
Are you playing full manual? I am convinced the AI plays more competitively when i switch from manual shooting to advanced or basic - Superstar full manual in my cup is far more passive than when i switch to advanced shooting. The AI starts to attack more put people will say its placebo which im ok with

Unbelievable how I still strugle to find a sweet spot in this game. It´s kinda sad really, how much time I´ve spent with it. Playing on PA0 is a good challenge for me on Pro level, but I end up every single match with 15 attemtps, 10 or more shots on target, and CPU only shoots one or twice, results usually are 1-0, 2-1, 1-1, with the odd 4-0 for me here and there. Really tired of dominating each match, but working hard to score only once on each 15 attempts, while CPU needs just one or two to score the goal.

Went to TP lately, and PA0 is just a nonsense, as CPU has perfect passing at crazy rithm, while I have to work really hard to put the perfect pass on every try. And don´t give me the BS that weak passes have been fixed on latest patch because they weren´t. I have too many situations where I press just the wright amount for a good pass, but somehow the game senses I might get something out of this, so surprise surprise, my player suddenly looses all his power and the ball looks like it´s travelling on mud for an easy interception from CPU. Out of frustration, I move to PA1 and I win 4-0... I mean, it´s totally out of balance. And fouls? Man, I don´t even want to talk about them.

Might as well just go with PES 2017, a way more balanced game with almost no BS, even on TP PA0. I don´t get fouls, but I´m not getting them on PES 2020 anyway. At least not on a realistic way.

PES 2017 is FANTASTIC. I have recently joined this forum and would like to share my efforts of updating 2017 to 2020 Kits, Players, Teams and Tactics...
https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/ps4-pes-2017-updated-to-2020-file-link.81964/#post-3498287

Are you playing full manual? I am convinced the AI plays more competitively when i switch from manual shooting to advanced or basic - Superstar full manual in my cup is far more passive than when i switch to advanced shooting. The AI starts to attack more put people will say its placebo which im ok with

Even switching from pa1 to manual passing reduces the AI intensity so I'm not surprised by this...

Sometimes teams just play so passively... it's weird.

This is all on professional, all regular league/cup mode. Yesterday I was playing euro qualifiers with Greece and Superliga with Argentinos. Stronger teams would really push me around at times and I lost to Boca 2:0 with no chance at all. Barely scraped by against England, got a last minute equalizer (i needed a draw to finish 2nd), had really close tough games against Gimnasia LP and Slovakia, beat Gibraltar easily. All was good and fun and challenging.

Today, I am playing a CL with Young Boys. In my group I have Benfica, Arsenal, and Bayer. I played them once each and in every game I am dominating, opponents are acting like rabbits in front a snake, very timid, defensive... It's still hard to break down their defense and the difference in players' skills results in the other team being able to put together an effective move once or twice per match and finish well, so I am at four points now, but the way the games are is so unnatural. I completely dominate them. Bayer didn't even try to come to my half of the field while losing 0:1 at home. Benfica was a complete pushover. Arsenal I lost to, but very unfair result, because I was completely the boss in the game, but didn't finish well.

What is this nonsense? If there is one major issue for me in this game, it's that right there.
Every difficulty level has its pros and cons.
If you play on lower difficulties,you'll have these issues you've described.If you play on higher difficulties then you'll have other issues where sometimes medium teams play better than they should.Although between these two options i still prefer the higher difficulties and i always play on Superstar wnen i play offline.

Even with DP4, I'm still finding myself bored of this game. I spent an hour yesterday downloading graphic mods, etc, for the PC, but when the ball starts moving - it's just...blah. There is an emptiness that sets in and just puts me to sleep. The game looks gorgeous, but the robotic gameplay just feels like groundhog day - pass, pass, turn, shoot. Cross, defended, players running away from the ball. Space for days between midfield and defensive line that means when the ball is deflected away it's at least 20 yards till the next player picks it up. There's just no cohesion and no risk to pass the ball forwards.

@hitmanuk I play on the default settings, so PA1 passing and regular shooting.

@Dennis_87 Idk I always play on professional, but this only happens sometimes and it seems like it comes in streaks. And normally professional is just the right challenge for me, but I will try top player soon.

Earlier, I loaded up the save again and played the other three games. And what a difference. Now, it actually felt like I am using an underdog team. Opponents were more aggressive and dangerous, plus they have better players. I had to play my hardest and the games turned out even - it was an exchange of blows. With Arsenal I lost 1:2, but it could have been 3:3, because we both had a bunch of great chances, including a perfect bicycle-shot from Lacazette that my keeper saved. Benfica was a little easier. I was the more dominant team, but Benfica was now threatening, unlike the first game when it had no shots and didnt even get near my box once. I made a mistake in the very end and lost 0:1. So here I am complaining that the opponents are too timid, yet by round 6 I am already eliminated. :CONF:

The only difference I know of: yesterday, I played while my Playstation was not connected to the internet. Today, I connected it so that I can download players added by Konami's latest update and they can be in my free agents. And just went to play with the internet still there. By the time I played my second session, I disconnected it again. I read here awhile ago that someone alleged differences in gameplay when connected to the internet, or live update turned on, or something like that. It could be conspiracy theory, but there may be something to it. I will make tests.

One thing that says a lot about this game,and it was the same for 19 (probably 18 too) is that you don't get any blow outs,either way.
I don't beat teams with 5-1 every now and then,or get beaten by that if I have a shit team.

It's like a wet cloth hanging over everything making it equally even ,and the 1-0/1-1/2-1/2-2 are the most common results.
Just like trying to keep a clean sheet on Pes 19,hardly happend.
I'm talking about professional/TP difficulty here.

Hey guys, I don't know if I'm the wrong thread but I want to know if there is any way to remove or disable team spirit in ML? I hate that shit, my players looks so bad...

Don't get me started on team spirit. I wish it was gone.

The lack of proper positional awareness in this game is unfortunate.

@xicpanad Spot on!
Can't set this up right either,League mode gets the gameplay right,but after a while it gets pretty dull.
I'm tempted to go back to Pes 17 as well.

Go back? Baby I never left

Yeah, I think Roman would have Pirlo cleaning his boots, honestly.

Personally I'd rather have them both lol

Shitty move by konami!
Pace is too high on Pes 17, I'm on and off between -1 and -2.

Here me out. This sounds crazy but when you first switch to -2, it's super slow. But then it fixes itself the next match and stops looking like it's in slow motion lol

The overall standard of football may be higher now but if you grew up watching football in the 90's and 00's, it impossible for your heart not to sink a little at the memories of riquelme and all the other standout individuals of those two decades.
Hell, even a player like Juan Carlos Valeron, who wasnt quite top tier back then, brought so much individual intent and style to bear on a match.

I've supported liverpool since 1989 and weve won almost nothing in that time. Here we are about to win the league, something I've been desperate for most of my life and yet my predominant thought is how boring so much football is these days, including a lot of liverpool's football, despite what the press in the uk continue to write (they havent been exciting since 2018).
Collective, automated, systemised football with very little room for truly individual moments.
Very little magic.

Doesnt surprise me that pes and fifa can feel quite boring at times, even allowing for their obvious flaws in design. A lot of what we bring to a football game is what we can impose upon it, the images we take from real life players and then import in our minds into the game when we play it. Pes to pes 6 were the years of superstar individuals, with football becoming much more elite without yet moving towards overly collectivised styles of play. It was the perfect time to bring out brilliant football games that captured the styles and abilities of genuinely star players. It was the perfect synthesis.

Now we have flawed games barely capturing the individuality of players with barely any individuality to begin with...

And so ends my lament.

I was with you until you said you support Liverpool. Jk mate I echo got sentiments.

Even with DP4, I'm still finding myself bored of this game. I spent an hour yesterday downloading graphic mods, etc, for the PC, but when the ball starts moving - it's just...blah. There is an emptiness that sets in and just puts me to sleep. The game looks gorgeous, but the robotic gameplay just feels like groundhog day - pass, pass, turn, shoot. Cross, defended, players running away from the ball. Space for days between midfield and defensive line that means when the ball is deflected away it's at least 20 yards till the next player picks it up. There's just no cohesion and no risk to pass the ball forwards.

You managed to say everything I've said up till now but in 900 fewer words lol

Sorry I quoted a lot of people. The last 2 days I've been forced to be social lol

For me it's mostly lack of fouls, lack of physicality, lack of midfield.

One thing that says a lot about this game,and it was the same for 19 (probably 18 too) is that you don't get any blow outs,either way.
I don't beat teams with 5-1 every now and then,or get beaten by that if I have a shit team.

It's like a wet cloth hanging over everything making it equally even ,and the 1-0/1-1/2-1/2-2 are the most common results.
I can't "like" this post enough times! I often think about this.

I think it says an awful lot about the game, that every game is so finely balanced. That's not a good thing - some real-life football matches, e.g. Man City v West Ham the other day, are horribly balanced (20+ shots to a couple). It's the objective of football, pretty much!

But PES doesn't represent this - it represents Man City by letting you run quickly, but the illusion of dribbling is smashed when the opposition just "hold X to win the ball" - and it represents West Ham by making your players stiff, laggy and unresponsive (every button press taking 2+ seconds to happen).

Good players aren't good players because they're fast.
Bad players aren't bad players because they're on heavy sedatives.

It's stiff, it's robotic, it's the opposite of "free" and "organic". But... If the opposition defend, you do have to build up the play - and when you're defending, your reading of the game and use of the secondary press button can make all the difference.

Yes, the midfield is an abyss sometimes - and yes, long balls to the forwards are always a good, cheap idea because of how successful they are (which is why the AI does it 10x per game). But I'm finding I have to *think* a lot more (rather than rely on pace and a skill-stick) than I do with any current football game (excluding Football Manager, obviously).

Yes, I'm lowering my standards to enjoy a football game this year... But hey... That's the modern era for ya.

Also, the gameplay mods make a world of difference (I've avoided them up until a couple of weeks ago, and I was a fool). They're even looking at modding positional AI at the minute.

@Chris Davies i got blown away last night when starting up a different football game (18 and not Pes) and the difference in how I could perform all sorts of things,and actually blowing my opponent (Ingolstadt) away with 4-0,so refreshing!
Last time I could do this (on Pes) was Pes 17,which I'm tempted to get back to.

@aderow I know I'll get used to -2 fast,but animations suffers as well on that speed.
But it's the only option,unless it's rainy then -1 will do just fine.
Yeah I never really left either,my 9 seasons with Milan is still waiting for my return

Alright maybe Im not in the right place to ask this, but can anyone direct me to a trustable ps4 option file website? I found out about PES universe but basically they want you to pay for the mod, which idk how Konami lets a third party monetize their assets but I digress, is there a different website for it? Much appreciated.

Konami benefits greatly from the likes of pesuniverse and editemos. It tries to support them.

I have had occasional big wins/losses, like 4+ goals difference, but it's rare indeed.

Alright maybe Im not in the right place to ask this, but can anyone direct me to a trustable ps4 option file website? I found out about PES universe but basically they want you to pay for the mod, which idk how Konami lets a third party monetize their assets but I digress, is there a different website for it? Much appreciated.
Try pesfutebol.com for an all in one collection, pesworld for a complete OF or some best of everything OFs in pesgaming.com like nicoultras etc,etc.
on pesgaming there are also separate pieces of OFs like classics, other leagues etc from Buckshot, Phillip the guy with Portuguese and lesser leagues, the guys with all NT etc.

About the dificulty levels discussion... I know for sure how it works, as I´ve been constantly changing between Pro, TP and SS, PA0 and PA1. The way I see it, levels change how the CPU plays, the agression and attacking awareness, but it looks like it doesn´t change much on the matches outcome. That´s why I have so many matches on PRO, where I totally dominate the oponent, but barely win. CPU does get way softer, less agressive, like they don´t care about the result, even when loosing, but somehow I need to shoot 10 times on target to get a goal. If I play SS, I only need like 3 attempts on target to score, but defending is harder as well.

Levels change the way the match flows, but there´s still something under the hood trying to dictate the result of each match no matter wich level you choose.. That´s what´s taking me away from this game wright now.

You can download it for free on their Spanish website:

https://pesuniverse.es/pesuniverse-option-file/

For me it's mostly lack of fouls, lack of physicality, lack of midfield.

There's certainly 'physicality' with the way animations trigger the second player models getting within a certain radius of the ball character but it doesn't lead to as many fouls as it should imo. Players aren't allowed to just grab and hold other players for seconds at a time irl. The ref will call a foul at some point. That doesn't happen in game.

The holes in midfield are just ridiculous. Same thing year after year.

Good players aren't good players because they're fast.
Bad players aren't bad players because they're on heavy sedatives.

Well said. That just goes back to our conversation about the nature of the AI and whether it being passive is by design.

@aderow I know I'll get used to -2 fast,but animations suffers as well on that speed.
But it's the only option,unless it's rainy then -1 will do just fine.
Yeah I never really left either,my 9 seasons with Milan is still waiting for my return

Maybe it's because I use player cam, it looks faster at pitch level, but fair enough I get what you're saying.

About the dificulty levels discussion... I know for sure how it works, as I´ve been constantly changing between Pro, TP and SS, PA0 and PA1. The way I see it, levels change how the CPU plays, the agression and attacking awareness, but it looks like it doesn´t change much on the matches outcome. That´s why I have so many matches on PRO, where I totally dominate the oponent, but barely win. CPU does get way softer, less agressive, like they don´t care about the result, even when loosing, but somehow I need to shoot 10 times on target to get a goal. If I play SS, I only need like 3 attempts on target to score, but defending is harder as well.

Levels change the way the match flows, but there´s still something under the hood trying to dictate the result of each match no matter wich level you choose.. That´s what´s taking me away from this game wright now.

It certainly impacts the result in BAL and fixed cursor lol. I played a few matches on legend difficulty and I watch my AI teammates get made a fool out of by Norwich. Norwich ended with 70% possession and Pukki scored 4 goals in the first half.

I play them again on professional and I'm 3-0 in 15 minutes.

Don't get me wrong I've had matches on pro that I've dominated but struggled to score, but the vast majority of them ended up being completely one sided so I had to stop playing on pro

That's why i always recommend playing 15 min games or even 20 min if you want to have a ''real match'' feeling.
On 10 min games there's just not enough time and you're kinda ''forced'' to play quicker to be able to create something or score.
On longer matches you have the freedom and ease to not rush your play as much and you can play more realistically in a way and also having more time for chances to be created and goals to be scored without having this feel that the clock is ticking and time's running out as much as you have with 10 min.

The online side of the game could also see these benefits if the default match time was 15 min.Maybe it could even transform the gameplay for the better if the approach was one of a more calmer realistic 15 min matches without the usual bullshit of PA3 and such.
I'm pretty sure that some things like big middle field gaps etc are happening because they want to fit enough ''fun'' and ''excitement'' in 10 minutes.So the whole approach and philisophy of the game could change with longer matches in mind.
Although i don't see it happening any time soon because it would be probably considered as boring and too much for most casuals so..

One positive thing that i can see though from this thing that you say is that the game is becoming less arcady by the years in terms of rhythm and movement at least.Because if not enough things are happening and not enough goals are being scored in a short match,it shows that the flow is more realistic and the movement not so hectic and superhuman to be able to allow much chances and goals in a short match like it could be the case in some previous versions.So if you see it from this persepective,it slowly but steadily becomes a bit less arcady at least year by year.Maybe less ''fun'' also for some people,but i'll take that for a more realistic approach.

Stadium cam zooms in more now it seems. The lowest height seems lower to. You can actually achieve Stamford bridge cam and Anfield too now...

That's why i always recommend playing 15 min games or even 20 min if you want to have a ''real match'' feeling.
On 10 min games there's just not enough time and you're kinda ''forced'' to play quicker to be able to create something or score.
On longer matches you have the freedom and ease to not rush your play as much and you can play more realistically in a way and also having more time for chances to be created and goals to be scored without having this feel that the clock is ticking and time's running out as much as you have with 10 min.

The online side of the game could also see these benefits if the default match time was 15 min.Maybe it could even transform the gameplay for the better if the approach was one of a more calmer realistic 15 min matches without the usual bullshit of PA3 and such.
I'm pretty sure that some things like big middle field gaps etc are happening because they want to fit enough ''fun'' and ''excitement'' in 10 minutes.So the whole approach and philisophy of the game could change with longer matches in mind.
Although i don't see it happening any time soon because it would be probably considered as boring and too much for most casuals so..

One positive thing that i can see though from this thing that you say is that the game is becoming less arcady by the years in terms of rhythm and movement at least.Because if not enough things are happening and not enough goals are being scored in a short match,it shows that the flow is more realistic and the movement not so hectic and superhuman to be able to allow much chances and goals in a short match like it could be the case in some previous versions.So if you see it from this persepective,it slowly but steadily becomes a bit less arcady at least year by year.Maybe less ''fun'' also for some people,but i'll take that for a more realistic approach.
Yeah I never play anything shorter than 20 min.
Its to rushed otherwise

Yeah I never play anything shorter than 20 min.
Its to rushed otherwise

I actually play 25 minutes, for derbies I'll play 30 minutes sometimes. I feel 25 minutes is ideal in-terms of letting the game flow. Less robotic movements, more build-ups, etc.

I play FUMA SS and there is definitely ebbs-and-flows to each game. Games still are 1-0, 2-1, etc. nothing crazy score-line wise which I actually like. I guess be nature the game will have an less robotic feel when it has to spread the goals out over 25 minutes total haha.

I actually play 25 minutes, for derbies I'll play 30 minutes sometimes. I feel 25 minutes is ideal in-terms of letting the game flow. Less robotic movements, more build-ups, etc.

I play FUMA SS and there is definitely ebbs-and-flows to each game. Games still are 1-0, 2-1, etc. nothing crazy score-line wise which I actually like. I guess be nature the game will have an less robotic feel when it has to spread the goals out over 25 minutes total haha.
Might test a game on 25 min,how's the fatigue?
Think it's pretty much left of the players on 20 min.
Played 5-6 games on SS (league) and think that difficulty plays pretty good,a lot of errors from the CPU, more than on TP.

Might test a game on 25 min,how's the fatigue?
Think it's pretty much left of the players on 20 min.
Played 5-6 games on SS (league) and think that difficulty plays pretty good,a lot of errors from the CPU, more than on TP.

I haven’t played less then 20 minutes but fatigue on 25 seems on par. I tend to play with aggressive fullbacks, around 60 minutes one is low green, if not red depending.

Hey guys, guess I´ll try SS on FUMA and bigger matches... who knows?

But what about random fatigue on the game? Have you guys noticed that on some matches, almost all payers are tired on your gameplan, even the ones that haven´t played for the last two or three weeks? How I´m I suposed to manage team fatigue then? Sometimes I leave a good player on the bench for one match, so that I can use him on the next cup match, only to find him equally tired then. Seriously these things are really stupid and make me wonder why I still want to enjoy this game. :(

Hey guys, guess I´ll try SS on FUMA and bigger matches... who knows?

But what about random fatigue on the game? Have you guys noticed that on some matches, almost all payers are tired on your gameplan, even the ones that haven´t played for the last two or three weeks? How I´m I suposed to manage team fatigue then? Sometimes I leave a good player on the bench for one match, so that I can use him on the next cup match, only to find him equally tired then. Seriously these things are really stupid and make me wonder why I still want to enjoy this game. :(
If you play genpress your players get tired quickly. For some reason Trent AA gets tired the quickest for Liverpool, followed by the midfielders - zer energy levels

Back
Top Bottom