eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

When i played Pes 20 earlier today I went back to my wide cam,and I can't believe how much this game feels like Pes 19 when you move away from the stadium cam.

And what made me stop playing 19 is the reason I have no interest in playing 20 either.
Same crappy ai in defence (me).
As soon as the CPU plays the ball to a CPU team mate who has his back turned inside/just outside the box my defenders takes a step back or to the side,creating space for the CPU to shoot and score.
Doesn't matter if I control that player or not.
Konami really needs to stop that easy CPU cheat.
Last game that had proper defending and players not doing this was Pes 17.

It's always one or two things ruining Pes games of late,and I can't see past that,I can defend perfectly for 85 min then these things happens,trying to defend by going around a player,instead of just standing still,one split second and a game is ruined,not by me but by a shitty coded ai.

Master League the only potentially still fun aspect of PES is a total cancer of a mode. The cpu abuses 100% the pass with its CB to its CF whos having a picknick in my 6 yard box all day because no one is dare to stand even close to him, not to mention to intercept that pass from 5 of my players on the field at least. No fouls made by the cpu. Cpu is superman strong. Cpu shooting accuracy is 99% all the time. Of course the cpu keeper no matter who it is basically have Oliver Kahn's player id. Still such a tragic tale 2020 is, the best footy of the past decade with the biggest gamebreakers.

Last edited:
When i played Pes 20 earlier today I went back to my wide cam,and I can't believe how much this game feels like Pes 19 when you move away from the stadium cam.

And what made me stop playing 19 is the reason I have no interest in playing 20 either.
Same crappy ai in defence (me).
As soon as the CPU plays the ball to a CPU team mate who has his back turned inside/just outside the box my defenders takes a step back or to the side,creating space for the CPU to shoot and score.
Doesn't matter if I control that player or not.
Konami really needs to stop that easy CPU cheat.
Last game that had proper defending and players not doing this was Pes 17.

It's always one or two things ruining Pes games of late,and I can't see past that,I can defend perfectly for 85 min then these things happens,trying to defend by going around a player,instead of just standing still,one split second and a game is ruined,not by me but by a shitty coded ai.

That's one of the more annoying issues that plagues the defensive side of the game. I think they did a better job making teams play compact. What I've noticed though, and what I think could be the cause of this, is just player switching continuing to be dreadful.

I looked at a replay after I watched my CBs run away from an attacker and noticed the player who was trying to close him down was actually well behind the attacker. I think that the game just simply chose the wrong player to engage the attacker. And it cost me a goal. But there have been moments I've benefited from it too tbf.

Overall player switching has been weird for a while; I've had questions about the logic behind it for a while now.

Even then, you'd expect CB to engage when an attacker is at the top of the box getting ready to shoot. I think this passive behavior is probably down to Konami wanting the human player to be more active in defending and thus having more impact on the result; player skill matters more.

I get it tbf. When player skill matters more, it makes for better human v human games. Of course it comes at the expense of AI behavior you'd expect to see. Human v CPU isn't exactly the focus anymore now is it.

Master League the only potentially still fun aspect of PES is a total cancer of a mode. The cpu abuses 100% the pass with its CB to its CF whos having a picknick in my 6 yard box all day because no one is dare to stand even close to him, not to mention to intercept that pass from 5 of my players on the field at least. No fouls made by the cpu. Cpu is superman strong. Cpu shooting accuracy is 99% all the time. Of course the cpu keeper no matter who it is basically have Oliver Kahn's player id. Still such a tragic tale 2020 is, the best footy of the past decade with the biggest gamebreakers.

I wouldn't call it cancer tbf. I've still managed to have some fun with it, but I agree it has significant flaws.

In regards to overall gameplay, player positioning, when attackers are in the final third, is better; teams generally play more compact. But, that's not the case until then. This game struggles with the positioning of midfielders when the ball is anywhere else hence why you see so many passes directly from the backline to the frontline.

Like I mentioned, I think CBs not engaging is a player switching issue combined with the AI just being made to be passive imo.

I get fouled by the CPU a lack thereof hasn't been an issue for me. My issue is not enough yellow cards. If a player slides through the back of me a good second after I've passed the ball, the ref shouldn't just be giving him a talking to.

The physicality in this game.....I thought it was neat at first but, at this point, I think it needs toning down in general especially on higher difficulties. The opposition AI is simply too strong on the ball.

At the same time the AI does things that should be called fouls but don't because they're part of the physicality/jockeying animations. Matic (yes Matic.....I know) chased down my 92 speed 92 dribbling winger and basically pulled him into the jockey animation. If you reach forward and pull a player back, that's a foul. But it won't get called because it's part of an animation.

The opposition AI misses a lot against me. I know this because my AI defenders/teammates are terrible so the opposition AI shoots a lot lol.

As for goalies, I actually like them being really good. Because otherwise I'd score way too much. With that said, a few days ago I played Nice in the Europa League and on 2 of my goals the keeper should've done a lot better than he did.

I agree there's a lot good about this game. But player switching and physicality really need sorting out. And team spirit needs to go. It's for these reasons I dropped down to professional where the AIs shortcomings are less exposed and I've had a bit more fun lately.

Last edited:
That's one of the more annoying issues that plagues the defensive side of the game. I think they did a better job making teams play compact. What I've noticed though, and what I think could be the cause of this, is just player switching continuing to be dreadful.

I looked at a replay after I watched my CBs run away from an attacker and noticed the player who was trying to close him down was actually well behind the attacker. I think that the game just simply chose the wrong player to engage the attacker. And it cost me a goal. But there have been moments I've benefited from it too tbf.

Overall player switching has been weird for a while; I've had questions about the logic behind it for a while now.

Even then, you'd expect CB to engage when an attacker is at the top of the box getting ready to shoot. I think this passive behavior is probably down to Konami wanting the human player to be more active in defending and thus having more impact on the result; player skill matters more.

I get it tbf. When player skill matters more, it makes for better human v human games. Of course it comes at the expense of AI behavior you'd expect to see. Human v CPU isn't exactly the focus anymore now is it.

I wouldn't call it cancer tbf. I've still managed to have some fun with it, but I agree it has significant flaws.

In regards to overall gameplay, player positioning, when attackers are in the final third, is better; teams generally play more compact. But, that's not the case until then. This game struggles with the positioning of midfielders when the ball is anywhere else hence why you see so many passes directly from the backline to the frontline.

Like I mentioned, I think CBs not engaging is a player switching issue combined with the AI just being made to be passive imo.

I get fouled by the CPU a lack thereof hasn't been an issue for me. My issue is not enough yellow cards. If a player slides through the back of me a good second after I've passed the ball, the ref shouldn't just be giving him a talking to.

The physicality in this game.....I thought it was neat at first but, at this point, I think it needs toning down in general especially on higher difficulties. The opposition AI is simply too strong on the ball.

At the same time the AI does things that should be called fouls but don't because they're part of the physicality/jockeying animations. Matic (yes Matic.....I know) chased down my 92 speed 92 dribbling winger and basically pulled him into the jockey animation. If you reach forward and pull a player back, that's a foul. But it won't get called because it's part of an animation.

The opposition AI misses a lot against me. I know this because my AI defenders/teammates are terrible so the opposition AI shoots a lot lol.

As for goalies, I actually like them being really good. Because otherwise I'd score way too much. With that said, a few days ago I played Nice in the Europa League and on 2 of my goals the keeper should've done a lot better than he did.

I agree there's a lot good about this game. But player switching and physicality really need sorting out. And team spirit needs to go. It's for these reasons I dropped down to professional where the AIs shortcomings are less exposed and I've had a bit more fun lately.

More annoying that the cpu players just standing in spots around the field without moving pingpongging around with no hussle all the way up to my 6yrd box. While my players are always out of position "marking" loosely the cpu. Oh and of course a very single one -two pass from the cpu shifts my whole team out of its already bad position.

PES 2017 was pretty good except for dribbling and CPU shooting which PES 2018 fixed but broke a lot of other things and introduced harsh scripting.

@aderow
My first thought when experiencing this on 19 and more so on 20,it feels like it's tuned for PvP online and not Vs CPU,like you said.
Most annoying thing is my defenders taking a side step in that position,so CPU can just turn and shoot.
Think it was worse on 19 to be fair,but still unplayable for me.
I've gone back to 18,for all its flaws,I can still defend better there.

Playing FIFA 20 on and off,and their defending has similar issues with "waking up players when switching to them"
Player switching has been a bit off since 18 (Pes).
I might grind out a few games to see if it gets better,doubt it though since I played my Roma ML,with 91 TS,I'd get it if I had 55-70 TS!

Yeah I'm also on professional PA0 for 18,same as I tried on 20.

the next release of pes is up against cyber punk around similar release dates, and if pes hasn’t made any significant improvements to master league this year to be on par with fifas career mode, I won’t be in any rush to buy this years game considering cyberpunk will keep me occupied for at least half a year, good luck konami 😊

More annoying that the cpu players just standing in spots around the field without moving pingpongging around with no hussle all the way up to my 6yrd box. While my players are always out of position "marking" loosely the cpu. Oh and of course a very single one -two pass from the cpu shifts my whole team out of its already bad position.

Oh yeah I'm with you. The defensive AI is very passive defensively so I overcompensate by telling them to press (even then they run away half the time). The risk with that is the attacking AI loves exploiting one twos. I just don't press when I see one coming because they're pretty much telegraphed moves.

PES 2017 was pretty good except for dribbling and CPU shooting which PES 2018 fixed but broke a lot of other things and introduced harsh scripting.

I'm actually rather comfortable with the dribbling in 2017 because it's responsive. Which is really all I ask for.

I'm not sure what you mean by scripting. My issue with 2018 was everything was too clean; passing, tackling, heading, shooting. So I got bored of it. That and everyone playing tiki taka.

@aderow
My first thought when experiencing this on 19 and more so on 20,it feels like it's tuned for PvP online and not Vs CPU,like you said.
Most annoying thing is my defenders taking a side step in that position,so CPU can just turn and shoot.
Think it was worse on 19 to be fair,but still unplayable for me.
I've gone back to 18,for all its flaws,I can still defend better there.

Playing FIFA 20 on and off,and their defending has similar issues with "waking up players when switching to them"
Player switching has been a bit off since 18 (Pes).
I might grind out a few games to see if it gets better,doubt it though since I played my Roma ML,with 91 TS,I'd get it if I had 55-70 TS!

Yeah I'm also on professional PA0 for 18,same as I tried on 20.

I understand completely. I got so frustrated a few days ago I turned on PES 2017. It's still my most played game now (although I've been sinking my time into 2020 seeing if I can find enjoyment from it). And then, in my very first match in BAL, Källström smashed one first time into the top corner. Pogba is the only teammate I have that even tries from distance in 2020. And they're all blocked because of how slow shooting animations are.

I think I'm gonna give swarm the box a go. Maybe if my players are compact, there'll be less space for the AI to turn and shoot in. Because most goals I see the AI score are the same; receive the ball with their back to the defender at the top of the box, turn off the defend and shoot. It's annoying. It's like everyone has the strength and balance of Lukaku or Drogba.

the next release of pes is up against cyber punk around similar release dates, and if pes hasn’t made any significant improvements to master league this year to be on par with fifas career mode, I won’t be in any rush to buy this years game considering cyberpunk will keep me occupied for at least half a year, good luck konami 😊

If you play offline, I'd argue you should wait regardless. We've known for a few years now that the focus is online and that changes would be minimal.

Oh yeah I'm with you. The defensive AI is very passive defensively so I overcompensate by telling them to press (even then they run away half the time). The risk with that is the attacking AI loves exploiting one twos. I just don't press when I see one coming because they're pretty much telegraphed moves
Me neither,I'm backing off,cover runs etc.
I played a few games earlier today,since haven't really played this game since October (me being shit) I played it on REG and PA0,quite enjoyed it,didn't see the bs you see on TP and above.
Probably end up being to easy since I usually play on TP and PA0,but I find REG to be better balanced than professional,and as long as you don't exploit certain short comings from the CPU,still a challenge.
Might keep playing this for a while.
Question mate!
Are you on some other cam than stadium cam?

Me neither,I'm backing off,cover runs etc.
I played a few games earlier today,since haven't really played this game since October (me being shit) I played it on REG and PA0,quite enjoyed it,didn't see the bs you see on TP and above.
Probably end up being to easy since I usually play on TP and PA0,but I find REG to be better balanced than professional,and as long as you don't exploit certain short comings from the CPU,still a challenge.
Might keep playing this for a while.
Question mate!
Are you on some other cam than stadium cam?

Nah I use player cam as I only play BAL/fixed cursor

Nah I use player cam as I only play BAL/fixed cursor
Aha,thing is,and it's maybe only me,but it feels like the game is made for the stadium cam.
Every time I use long/wide etc it feels like my controller has dead zones,or just stops when turning etc.
Feels really off,never on stadium cam though

Aha,thing is,and it's maybe only me,but it feels like the game is made for the stadium cam.
Every time I use long/wide etc it feels like my controller has dead zones,or just stops when turning etc.
Feels really off,never on stadium cam though

That's interesting actually. I haven't heard one of the standard cameras in a few years

That's interesting actually. I haven't heard one of the standard cameras in a few years
Haven't had any issues before Pes 20,but since this game feels so different in stadium cam,probably optimised for it,who knows?
On NBA 2k you have a choice between having your controller camera relative or fixed,that usually sort things out when playing a broadcast or the 2k cam.
Which means pushing down could mean two things depending on your choice.
Played a few more games,Vs Juventus on TP,completely unplayable

Haven't had any issues before Pes 20,but since this game feels so different in stadium cam,probably optimised for it,who knows?
On NBA 2k you have a choice between having your controller camera relative or fixed,that usually sort things out when playing a broadcast or the 2k cam.
Which means pushing down could mean two things depending on your choice.
Played a few more games,Vs Juventus on TP,completely unplayable

I always went with absolute instead of camera relative. It helped with turbo cam constantly changing direction. But yeah like I said, that's interesting

I always went with absolute instead of camera relative. It helped with turbo cam constantly changing direction. But yeah like I said, that's interesting
Always absolute for me as well!
No motion sickness with the turbo cam?
Played broadcast between 13-18,but 2k cam since 19 for me

Always absolute for me as well!
No motion sickness with the turbo cam?
Played broadcast between 13-18,but 2k cam since 19 for me

It's funny it was in PES 2017 that I made the switch to player cam. It really changed the BAL experience for me and, once I got used to it, I couldn't play with anything else.

I started to look for similar cameras in other games hence why I switched to turbo camera in 2k. And hence why I needed controls on absolute lol. Up until then, I used the 2k cam.

Nah no motion sickness. I'm used to the camera moving around a lot given my time spent with player cam in PES.

hmm.. new patch just seen 1.07 :)… installing now :)

Oh neat. Guess I'll turn my console on for a bit before I go to bed then

This game is pretty much dead. A new patch and no comments about it yet. Sad, like Trump would say.
Yeah. I’d like to hear your guys impressions on the latest patch.
I will have a look myself later today when I get home from work.

Edit: upps, mistaken that with another update. There is no new PES patch, right?!

Last edited:
I modified more than 2300 player's stats so far...and i saw a lot of stats for normal players wich are really too high and exaggerated

I post you an example
Physical Contact93
Defensive Awareness84
Ball Winning86
Aggression82

No, it's not a CB from 5 stars teams...but simply Sebastian Prödl from Watford

I mean that in this game, a lot of normal players are massively overrated...seems to be sometimes that Konami give them a stats like Superheroes...what a shame...

I modified more than 2300 player's stats so far...and i saw a lot of stats for normal players wich are really too high and exaggerated

I post you an example
Physical Contact93
Defensive Awareness84
Ball Winning86
Aggression82

No, it's not a CB from 5 stars teams...but simply Sebastian Prödl from Watford

I mean that in this game, a lot of normal players are massively overrated...seems to be sometimes that Konami give them a stats like Superheroes...what a shame...

Did you notice any difference in AI or gameplay after changing stats?

Did you notice any difference in AI or gameplay after changing stats?

I didn't try the game yet...but for sure i decrease a lot of CB stats for "normal players" and increase for some Top Players...it's really weird to see those stats on certain players...i was surprise to see a lot of CB with several high stats especially in defense...

With GK i've tried to decrease "Jump" to avoid to see them fly like Superman...and then try to decrease for a lot of them even "Coverage"...i kept Top Players with high stats...i started from the Top(like Alisson) and then go down...like a scale of value

In my Database only less than 40 GK have 80 Overall or more...

What i could see until now is that:

1) GK stats are too high for a lot of them

2) CB stats(see above)...and especially "Heading" and "Jump" make the difference about their Overall(also Speed, Physical Contact and Stamina but a bit less)...that's why most of the time you see Prodl or Mustafi being like Van Dijk or Ramos...and more you go up with the level in the game, and more you can see them "unbeatable"...

Obviously if you are on level "CHAMPION" and they have 86 in ball recovery...at the final level this 86 goes up...maybe they can stay around 93-94...even if you can't see that, but it's working like that...that's why you can see CB really precise and clear on tackle, and you are struggling to get foul in this game...

1) GK stats are too high for a lot of them

2) CB stats(see above)...and especially "Heading" and "Jump" make the difference about their Overall(also Speed, Physical Contact and Stamina but a bit less)...that's why most of the time you see Prodl or Mustafi being like Van Dijk or Ramos...and more you go up with the level in the game, and more you can see them "unbeatable

I do not like how overalls work in PES honestly. I think the way they're calculated gives players higher overalls than they should.

I do not like how overalls work in PES honestly. I think the way they're calculated gives players higher overalls than they should.

I side you...and also they can show us the value of the players during you're changing stats in real time, and not everytime go back to see the Overall you've got...also stats works differently for each position if we talk about the Overall...but as i said a lot of stats are exaggerated...especially GK and CB in this game...

:SHOCK:
that's a bit crazy imo, but whatever floats your boat my friend.. still 10k players to go

jk man, please let us know whenever you get to play the game and how different it behaves

I honestly hate OVR ratings, i wish there was an option to either see OVR and Hexagon or only either or
it shouldn't be that complicated, is it?

Back
Top Bottom