eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Been waiting for the January transfer update to start another ML with the Dons. Will load the under 20s players out on loan in real life back into the squad (I like how PES retains them in their database whereas FIFA removes them) and that should be my last fling for the season.

Crazy how the update passed without any announcement on the official social media channels. They really have just given up.

Not sure what people are on about. Transfers are there via live update. I dont say its 100% correct but January transfers are in the game and get constantly updated. I know, i know there will be someone who will say " but Joe Nobody who sat on the bench druing that cup game no one cares about is missing from Kilmarnock so its shiiiiite duuuuh".

Anywho the gameplay update is a miss again surely. The cpu still play like a robot with the "pass, turn, pass, pass, pass, turn, pass, turn, shoot" player id. The cpu has no idea how to use skillful players, com playstyles are non existent, same for the new inspire feature. You left with the "i feel more zipp on the shots", "passes are more crisp", "game is more responsive", "its free as a bird finally" thoughts, the monthly placebo to feed and convince yourself to play PES until the next update. Then rinse and repeat. PES 2020 offline vs the AI is dead. PES 2020 online is dead due to momentum and poor connections. PES 2020 pvp offline is PERHAPS the only reason to play this....on PC where you possibly might reduce the momentum via gameplaymods.

I would imagine it’s
guys - remind me again please

on xb1, if I check "update club squads" and "update national squads" can I expect my manually-edited klashman tactics to remain untouched?

thanks
I would imagine It’s just the rosters that change but knowing this company ... 🙄

To be honest this has happened much rare to me. The most common issue on this was with very short passes with less than the 1/10 of the power bar, that headed astray as they were with over 50% power and your teammate who is to receive the pass, either does respond leaving the ball pass near him, or he responds but the cursor changes much slower than the ball travels.
MOST COMMON Example of this issue is when i take a close THROW IN near opponent's penalty area and i want to play the fast 1-2 after the throw in, with the throw in taker and the throw in receiver. I usually end up give the ball throw in for the opponent team, cause one of my two players does not respond on time and the ball goes much faster than it should, i use less than 10% for just a knock off.

For me it’s the one where I attemp a huge cross field diagonal with a CB (RT+LT pretty much full power) and he just pops it in this weird chip animation about ten yards in front of him. Happened before and it’s still happening 😔[/QUOTE]

guys - remind me again please

on xb1, if I check "update club squads" and "update national squads" can I expect my manually-edited klashman tactics to remain untouched?

thanks

On ps4 I uncheck them and it preserves the tactic edits. I assumed will be the same on xbox...

Not sure what people are on about. Transfers are there via live update. I dont say its 100% correct but January transfers are in the game and get constantly updated. I know, i know there will be someone who will say " but Joe Nobody who sat on the bench druing that cup game no one cares about is missing from Kilmarnock so its shiiiiite duuuuh".

Not sure whether that relates to my 'giving up' comment, but I was reflecting more on their promotion of the game than the efforts to update and better it.

For me it’s the one where I attemp a huge cross field diagonal with a CB (RT+LT pretty much full power) and he just pops it in this weird chip animation about ten yards in front of him. Happened before and it’s still happening 😔
[/QUOTE]
Not sure if I'm right in what you want to do but holding down left shoulder button powering up with square and the tapping square again will drill the ball low across the field

Faces? I only see myclub and e-football promotion :D

It's as if they're reading - they've just posted about it in the last couple of hours. Badly.

In the main it's all MyClub and e-football. And the mobile game seems to have a big following. And their engagement appears to amount to congratulating users for paying for 'random' content.

Digitised versions of players I don't recognise was the order of the day in the build up.

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me."

I don't see anything on launch on either Twitter or Facebook. In the build up there was the usual masturbation over new faces but little else.

There was sneak peak in Feb 10, but they just promoted about DP 4 and everything else just in two / three hours later today. I know it's weird but they should've done that earlier. Maybe they're busy with EURO 2020 DLC ? who knows.

Not sure if I'm right in what you want to do but holding down left shoulder button powering up with square and the tapping square again will drill the ball low across the field
[/QUOTE]
Yh Yh I know that move... but I meant big high lofted pirlo-esque shape shifters 👍

This new patch definitely feels good. Most noticeable improvement for me after playn a handful of games is the improvement in passing. Just feels n looks more natural..

Too bad the AI doesn't. Last night was a frustrating experience for me. Most frustrating in the last few weeks in think with how poorly both teammate and opposition AI played last night.

It's unfortunate because I, especially, need the AI to be good because I play fixed cursor.

Played a few matches and I think I have to go back to top player. Played Spurs at home and win 4-0. The only shots Spurs had were immediately after I scored. Other than that, they created nothing.

Specifically about the passing, I did zip in a pass like it was a cross to a teammate in the box and it felt good. Probably the best part of the night.

Too bad the AI doesn't. Last night was a frustrating experience for me. Most frustrating in the last few weeks in think with how poorly both teammate and opposition AI played last night.

It's unfortunate because I, especially, need the AI to be good because I play fixed cursor.

Played a few matches and I think I have to go back to top player. Played Spurs at home and win 4-0. The only shots Spurs had were immediately after I scored. Other than that, they created nothing.

Specifically about the passing, I did zip in a pass like it was a cross to a teammate in the box and it felt good. Probably the best part of the night.
Fixed cursor/ BAL has been a horrific experience for a couple of years. Bal, a mode I always enjoyed, not least because of Team Play lobby is basically unplayable and was last year too. The mode does nothing but highlight just HOW POOR the ai programming is. Your team will genuinely just smash long balls to no one for 90 mins (if that’s their tactic-long pass) and when it is on the ground they dally, walk it out of play and when you double tap to call for it I’d say they give it away 75% time. And I’ve been playing this mode for a good few years. It’s honestly just a waste of time. And this is on superstar. The only saving grace is that your ai opponents do the same thing 😅

Fixed cursor/ BAL has been a horrific experience for a couple of years. Bal, a mode I always enjoyed, not least because of Team Play lobby is basically unplayable and was last year too. The mode does nothing but highlight just HOW POOR the ai programming is. Your team will genuinely just smash long balls to no one for 90 mins (if that’s their tactic-long pass) and when it is on the ground they dally, walk it out of play and when you double tap to call for it I’d say they give it away 75% time. And I’ve been playing this mode for a good few years. It’s honestly just a waste of time. And this is on superstar. The only saving grace is that your ai opponents do the same thing 😅

I have 3 gigs of clips and pictures saved on my ps4. Honestly I wanna make a massive post about my feelings on the game especially the AI.

It frustrates me more considering I do think this game is good. I think it's objectively better than 2017. But the AI in this game, teammate AI especially, is flat out poor.

It's why I keep saying I feel like it's a placeholder; just passively there in order to maximize the human player(s)' influence on the result. Which is great online (which is obviously their focus), but in the mode I played the most? It makes for an experience that isn't as fun as it could and should be.

I have 3 gigs of clips and pictures saved on my ps4. Honestly I wanna make a massive post about my feelings on the game especially the AI.

It frustrates me more considering I do think this game is good. I think it's objectively better than 2017. But the AI in this game, teammate AI especially, is flat out poor.

It's why I keep saying I feel like it's a placeholder; just passively there in order to maximize the human player(s)' influence on the result. Which is great online (which is obviously their focus), but in the mode I played the most? It makes for an experience that isn't as fun as it could and should be.
Summed it up mate. I think In this area, the current engine is fudged and until the changeover I doubt much will be fixed. It’s a shame because when you play 1v1 PML the game is brilliant. But offline it’s a real chore and a patience tester. Because when the ai/script/momentum/ whatever kicks in and changes your input or glues the ball to your opponent.. I don’t know about you guys but I just immediately think... well, what’s the point ? 🤷‍♂️ What is the point of learning or improving or being imaginative when you (the ai) are able to just bend me over whenever you want.

To be honest this has happened much rare to me. The most common issue on this was with very short passes with less than the 1/10 of the power bar, that headed astray as they were with over 50% power and your teammate who is to receive the pass, either does respond leaving the ball pass near him, or he responds but the cursor changes much slower than the ball travels.
MOST COMMON Example of this issue is when i take a close THROW IN near opponent's penalty area and i want to play the fast 1-2 after the throw in, with the throw in taker and the throw in receiver. I usually end up give the ball throw in for the opponent team, cause one of my two players does not respond on time and the ball goes much faster than it should, i use less than 10% for just a knock off.
Slammy, try double pressing the pass button. Works wonders! ;)

Edit: for headers as well! :)

For me it’s the one where I attemp a huge cross field diagonal with a CB (RT+LT pretty much full power) and he just pops it in this weird chip animation about ten yards in front of him. Happened before and it’s still happening 😔
[/QUOTE]
Well, I’m on fuma and it depends a lot on player and his body position how far I can smack the ball. When I want to switch sides, walking towards goal and playing in a 90 degree angle, that’s not gonna do it. The ball ends up 2-3/4 of the possible distance. When I look in the direction I want to cross to, the ball travels further. Like in real life.
I’m ok with that in the game.

Well, I’m on fuma and it depends a lot on player and his body position how far I can smack the ball. When I want to switch sides, walking towards goal and playing in a 90 degree angle, that’s not gonna do it. The ball ends up 2-3/4 of the possible distance. When I look in the direction I want to cross to, the ball travels further. Like in real life.
I’m ok with that in the game.
[/QUOTE]
Yh I got you mate. I play fuma sometimes 😊 and love all the body pos aspects of the game, miscues Mishits etc.. but when he chips it ten yards in front of him as if I’ve just tapped r1 + 🔺... it certainly grates 😑

Body positioning or not I’m pressing full power. He should be smashing the ball somewhere lol
You can’t in real life. It’s physics. Depends on the body position. Don’t know what to say here. I love those crippled attempts when my player is off.
When you hit full power and tilt the LS in the direction you are facing, he will smash the call. Haven’t seen it any other way yet.

Had a “scuffed” header today. Lovely stuff.
And the ball cleared out of the pen area just to hit the flag stick. Lovely stuff.
Did I mention i love the net pole sound when hitting it full power?! :D

2 fouls/free kicks that were arguably questionable and one that probably red card worthy

These 2 fouls on Wanyama I was completed sold on. I'll take the free kicks though lol

This on, the defender's gone through my ankle from behind. He should be seeing red and I should be carted off and not playing for 4 months.

Also free kicks are too easy

You can’t in real life. It’s physics. Depends on the body position. Don’t know what to say here. I love those crippled attempts when my player is off.
When you hit full power and tilt the LS in the direction you are facing, he will smash the call. Haven’t seen it any other way yet.

Had a “scuffed” header today. Lovely stuff.
And the ball cleared out of the pen area just to hit the flag stick. Lovely stuff.
Did I mention i love the net pole sound when hitting it full power?! :D
Don’t get me wrong we’re on the same page. But What is happening is a bug. My CB. Facing the opponents goal. Standing still. Smashing full power straight ahead to my front man. And it’s going ten yards.

It's as if they're reading - they've just posted about it in the last couple of hours. Badly.

In the main it's all MyClub and e-football. And the mobile game seems to have a big following. And their engagement appears to amount to congratulating users for paying for 'random' content.

Digitised versions of players I don't recognise was the order of the day in the build up.

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me."
Totally man. Instead of "get with the times", I say fuck the times. Maybe one day the times will straighten themselves out and get with us. But it's cool, let those weird new myclub/mobile things make money and hopefully we see some of it turn up where it matters. Without that stuff the game may have been a goner by now. What happened with Sony? Did you sue?

The patch has a bunch of faces I guess and new Thai clubs, but the new Brazilian clubs are just "skins" so to speak. The squads are super short, and even then all the players are fake. Two of the clubs even have bootleg kits, so nothing to get excited about. False advertisement. Now, the pile of legends - that's exciting! Pirlo, Inzaghi, Nakamura (even though he is in the game already as a current player), Van Basten... great. Gameplay I didn't feel any difference with.

Don’t get me wrong we’re on the same page. But What is happening is a bug. My CB. Facing the opponents goal. Standing still. Smashing full power straight ahead to my front man. And it’s going ten yards.
Yeah. That sounds off.
BTW: Have they fixed the throw in thingy where the opponent isn’t following my manual controlled player?! I don’t think so.

Man, this game can shine but still some things are just... ^^

Last few weeks I'd gone cold on pes 2020.
1. I thought the last patch had made the game feel dull, clunky, sanitised and more rigid. It had also dumbed down the balls out fun attacking AI introduced by the previous patch which had maybe made the game a bit arcade.
2. I have really been enjoying fifa 20 and all its freedom and randomness.

I played two matchups before downloading patch which just confirmed how tired and bored i was of pes. Especially after fifa it just felt so dull and binary.

Played same two matchups after patch and I'm sort of back on board with pes.

The ball physics feel softer looser and freer, much closer to 1.00 and a couple other patches that have come and gone. (One patch seems to make them rigid, the next free and soft again).

The ball physics also feel much more alive for ground passes, which had felt so stale after fifa. Ground passes run a little more and have a more obvious change in speed. They have a rhythm, rather than just flat speed like in last patch.

Also in step curling long passes feel much less rigid (always a good testing benchmark for the feeling of rails in pes I find).

The game feels more alive, messier, theres more contact and more players around the ball.

Attacking teammate AI more varied too, espcially playing with liverpool vs Leicester pre and post patch. Very obvious.

It's just more alive and free, and soft.

There seems to be a real pattern with pes patches this year. They work on something. It then gets neutered in the next patch. And then in the patch after that, it returns in polished form.

All very subtle, but all very obvious if you've been quite bored of pes.
I just had to reply to this after 2 nights of playing the newly patched version. You are spot on, mate!

That sums it up!!

So, to everyone (at least) having a little bit of fun with the latest version of the game: have you conceded a “scripted goal” or “forced situation” that makes you facepalm?! I haven’t and that’s a good sign.
What I see is more opponents shots from distance. Maybe a tad to many. Same time I see more individual skills performed by outstanding players.
Had deBryune dancing all over me and fooling up to 3 of my players (multiple times). Had CR7 doing a trick move on the side line and then moving on towards pen area just to hammer it into the long corner, half at height. SUUUUUUUUUUU...... style! :D (and I don’t like him very much)!
Stepped up their game they have, Yoda would say. :D

Some might put me into placebo corner but I’m pretty sure I know my PES and try to look at it in a fair way (not denying the flaws). This game is at its best right now. I’m at the border of saying it’s different and everyone should give it another try. But hey... no mayor advises from my side. I’m having fun, that’s for sure.
I can only recommend. ;)

Edit: if I had one wish... make that AI, be it my mates or the opponent, more human, life-like! But I’m a positive realist so this is not gonna happen via patch or in PES2021. This game needs a new engine, new hardware and maybe some (additional) new brains working on that game, imo!

Anyway... I’m off enjoying what’s given these days. And thats better then what we had on PS4 ever!! *drops da mic*... with a positive attitude. :D

Edit2: PPWA!! Hola!! :LOL:

Last edited:
Last few weeks I'd gone cold on pes 2020.
1. I thought the last patch had made the game feel dull, clunky, sanitised and more rigid. It had also dumbed down the balls out fun attacking AI introduced by the previous patch which had maybe made the game a bit arcade.
2. I have really been enjoying fifa 20 and all its freedom and randomness.

I played two matchups before downloading patch which just confirmed how tired and bored i was of pes. Especially after fifa it just felt so dull and binary.

Played same two matchups after patch and I'm sort of back on board with pes.

The ball physics feel softer looser and freer, much closer to 1.00 and a couple other patches that have come and gone. (One patch seems to make them rigid, the next free and soft again).

The ball physics also feel much more alive for ground passes, which had felt so stale after fifa. Ground passes run a little more and have a more obvious change in speed. They have a rhythm, rather than just flat speed like in last patch.

Also in step curling long passes feel much less rigid (always a good testing benchmark for the feeling of rails in pes I find).

The game feels more alive, messier, theres more contact and more players around the ball.

Attacking teammate AI more varied too, espcially playing with liverpool vs Leicester pre and post patch. Very obvious.

There seems to be a real pattern with pes patches this year. They work on something. It then gets neutered in the next patch. And then in the patch after that, it returns in polished form.

All very subtle, but all very obvious if you've been quite bored of pes.

I just made a comment earlier about reviews like this regarding any new update...and to be honest i havent seen your comment at all...but oh my good. What does this even mean my guy? :D This is some top level marketing wording into which everyone can interpret what they want....and there are even more people agree with you on....something that its not even named, explained "oh yes sure that is some tender free as a bird gameplay right there" :D Maybe evo-web is indeed going to crazy town :D Sorry this worth a warning totally.

ps: im not addressing this to you directly just in general to reviews such yours, at least after this very description yourself aswell accept that its a placebo

Back
Top Bottom