eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

imo, the downgrade of fluidity in ml is also a kind of scripting
even you get 99 ts, you will never get the same gameplay/fluidity in ml as exhibition/league mode
thats just a fact
Alright then. Thanks.
If this is confirmation for what I was asking for I wouldn’t bother with ML no more. I had the hope that the controls will be as fluid when the team spirit hits 95 or above...

Still switching between manual and PA1.

How do you guys play and why?

I play on manual.
It looks better overall...I can´t stand those high accuracy passes exactly to the players feet.
I like to see whenthe receiving player has to move to get the ball....like in real life.
If you master it, you can be more creative in passing and build ups instead of being dependent on the passing lanes the game provides.
It adds a lot more coincidence and anything-can-happen-moments to the game.
It´s damn rewarding if you pull off a nice build up play/attack/combination etc.

Each to their own, I understand if players don´t wanna switch to manual and it really takes some time to handle it.
To me personally, the direct passing looks quite off to me, even on PA1.

Yesterday I made it to two games with my cousin.
It´s basically the same game....we all knew.
But still....it feels a bit different.....can´t say better......need to play more......but definetly not worse....not at all.

AndI have to agree to anybody saying "if you didn´t like 2020, you won´t like this one"

Still switching between manual and PA1.

How do you guys play and why?

Manual for me for passing.

Still testing manual/advanced/basic shooting.

Problem with PA1 it is too assisted and there is no real room for error so there is no alternative, and like previously mentioned manual allows you to create nice moves when you get to grips with it.

aaahhhh......
56DED539-CE61-4AA8-B8AD-1239A598AF1D.gif
I’m happy for those who found joy in fuma! :TU:

just last night i was watching @Holland 's latest gp tweak video on yt. he really did a great job here, as always! :APPLAUD: and then i see those PA1 passes and think to myself: this gameplay would be so great if i could play it in fuma (me personally)!

Last edited:
imo, the downgrade of fluidity in ml is also a kind of scripting
even you get 99 ts, you will never get the same gameplay/fluidity in ml as exhibition/league mode
thats just a fact

Alright then. Thanks.
If this is confirmation for what I was asking for I wouldn’t bother with ML no more. I had the hope that the controls will be as fluid when the team spirit hits 95 or above...

Doesnt this just mostly have to do with just the players abilities of a starting ML team? For me 2020 was more enjoyable with the avarage teams, i didnt enjoy playing with Barcelona at all. It was too fast and frantic.

Now its the opposite for me, with 2021 the better teams are a lot more fun and its the lesser teams that feel so unresponsive to me that i cant enjoy playing with them.

Thats just a shallow obeservation, i dont have that many games under my belt.

Doesnt this just mostly have to do with just the players abilities of a starting ML team? For me 2020 was more enjoyable with the avarage teams, i didnt enjoy playing with Barcelona at all. It was too fast and frantic.

Now its the opposite for me, with 2021 the better teams are a lot more fun and its the lesser teams that feel so unresponsive to me that i cant enjoy playing with them.

Thats just a shallow obeservation, i dont have that many games under my belt.
well, i was playing Leeds in ML with a TS of 80 and there are differences in gameplay to what i experienced when playing regular Leeds in exhibition, cup or league mode. and those differences are very game changing for me! so basically the same team, stats wise, is just hampered by that TS bs, imo (my conclusion)!

So like many others I gave in and got the game at the weekend. Pleasantly surprised as the gameplay just feels more free and responsive, had some cracking games in the Euros. But them referees drive you crazy.. you know when he gives a dodgy free kick against you on the edge of your area it's only going to end one way! What do you press to take control of your keeper?
So I'm going to start a league campaign and would be grateful for any tips in setting up tactics to get the best out of the game.. am I right with taking all advanced instructions off and putting offside trap on for CPU teams.. what about fluid formations does this make a difference still?

Alright then. Thanks.
This can't be news for you?
It's been like this for ages,last playable game in ML was probably 17,though it got at its worse on Pes 20,can't answer for 21.
Haven't enjoyed a ML since 17,ML is unplayable in the last 2-3 games.

This can't be news for you?
It's been like this for ages,last playable game in ML was probably 17,though it got at its worse on Pes 20,can't answer for 21.
Haven't enjoyed a ML since 17,ML is unplayable in the last 2-3 games.
i never got my team spirit to the fullest... so i was hoping for relieve when i hit 100! :D

i never got my team spirit to the fullest... so i was hoping for relieve when i hit 100! :D
Aha,got it,you were trying to see if it got better when reaching 99/100 TS?
It's such a shame with the TS,imagine if ML played like League mode?
I'd still be playing Pes 20 or be switching to 21 by now.

Yes, TS is ruining the ML experience. I think that the form arrows should be enough to dictate if a team plays good or not. I miss the old days when your key player was out of form, and you would have to make important choices about your starting line up. It takes almost a full season now to put your team having a chance, and I always feel that I loose a match because I have too. After that, I´m sure it will feel better, as it was already in PES 2020.

Regarding ML vs Exhibition, it always feels diferent, CPU is not so overpowered, and referees are also fair. I´m loving the game, for me those minor changes in gameplay really did a great job, and it feels like I can always create something special on the final third, but for now, I know that TS is holding me back from having a better experience...

You will need more than a season to hit 95+, IIRC maximum is TS=99. Also after 90, unless you have a starting 11, full of team roles from "teamplayer" and above, it is difficult to hit 99, cause after 90 even the "smart player" captain trick does not add more than +1 or +2. Does not work as in low TS, as the Real TS and the Masked TS start hitting 90s.

Aha,got it,you were trying to see if it got better when reaching 99/100 TS?
It's such a shame with the TS,imagine if ML played like League mode?
I'd still be playing Pes 20 or be switching to 21 by now.
exactly!

yes, we are all saying this for years! make that god damn TS function AN OPTION, not mandatory!

You will need more than a season to hit 95+, IIRC maximum is TS=99. Also after 90, unless you have a starting 11, full of team roles from "teamplayer" and above, it is difficult to hit 99, cause after 90 even the "smart player" captain trick does not add more than +1 or +2. Does not work as in low TS, as the Real TS and the Masked TS start hitting 90s.

this reads to me like: "hey PRO, enjoy exhibition matches, cups and league mode instead of tinkering with the TS in ML!" :D

i'll do! :)

so my question is: (let the ML scripting aside for now) at what TS level in ML does my team play like in all other modes? is it possible to simulate a whole season to get the TS up before i actually start playing?

I like to play ML with the default players and start signing contracts for better players. I recommend you to win some matches and once you achieve the objetives of the season you can skip some matches. The signing players periods are very important. Once you have finished your first season and signed for better players the TS has increased with your default players but if you line up the new players your TS will decrase because they are not used to the tactics and to the team mates. You have to include new players in the team line up slowly. I start the games with players used to the team and when I'm winning by 2 or 3 goals i make substitututions and line up the new players.

Once your players have +70 overall rating and TS is over 80 they start to play very similar to exhibition games. But once you achieve TS +90 the team plays perfect and it seems to have more effectivity passing and scoring that in exhibition mode. There are moments during the matches when your team is unstoppable. TS is a game changer for better and for worse.

The sense of accomplishment when you have the same players during some seasons and you win some leagues and champions leagues is great. In Master League mode you can replicate similar situations to Real Madrid 4 last champions in 5 years, same players for many years, used to play together, great TS. Master League is not about one season, the true value of this mode starts to show along the years.

I like to play ML with the default players and start signing contracts for better players. I recommend you to win some matches and once you achieve the objetives of the season you can skip some matches. The signing players periods are very important. Once you have finished your first season and signed for better players the TS has increased with your default players but if you line up the new players your TS will decrase because they are not used to the tactics and to the team mates. You have to include new players in the team line up slowly. I start the games with players used to the team and when I'm winning by 2 or 3 goals i make substitututions and line up the new players.

Once your players have +70 overall rating and TS is over 80 they start to play very similar to exhibition games. But once you achieve TS +90 the team plays perfect and it seems to have more effectivity passing and scoring that in exhibition mode. There are moments during the matches when your team is unstoppable. TS is a game changer for better and for worse.

The sense of accomplishment when you have the same players during some seasons and you win some leagues and champions leagues is great. In Master League mode you can replicate similar situations to Real Madrid 4 last champions in 5 years, same players for many years, used to play together, great TS. Master League is not about one season, the true value of this mode starts to show along the years.
i got my team spirit at 80 atm, Leeds players... but when i read comments from @slamsoze (and others) the consensus seems to be: TS is hampering the fluidity of the whole match doesnt matter how high it is.

i am very sensitive to those things... even playing an exhibition match with live update and without is making a difference for me. but hey, i'm also that guy who's annoyed by the PS4 starting beep that sounds half a sec later as i pressed the PS button on my DS4! :LOL: not the norm i am! :TTTH:

thanks for the detailed answer though!!

It seems to be clicking for me now. Rangers with TS 52, Superstar. My players are getting used to the tactics and I feel it. Two matches this morning and first wins, 2-1 and 1-5, both comebacks.

I really love how the attacks flow this year, much better than 2020, the first touch is making a diference here, and I see some random outcomes on my side. On Superstar the AI is a bit repetitive, but I´ll take that instead of choosing a lower level. I know that below Superstar things will get a bit easy once my TS get´s to the 80´s. Also love the fact that tall and big CB´s now easily win headers, even when they sit behind some CF. But it seems like I always have to use the clearance button. If I try to win a header with the pass button, ususally I loose the battle.

i got my team spirit at 80 atm, Leeds players... but when i read comments from @slamsoze (and others) the consensus seems to be: TS is hampering the fluidity of the whole match doesnt matter how high it is.

i am very sensitive to those things... even playing an exhibition match with live update and without is making a difference for me. but hey, i'm also that guy who's annoyed by the PS4 starting beep that sounds half a sec later as i pressed the PS button on my DS4! :LOL: not the norm i am! :TTTH:

thanks for the detailed answer though!!
You know when i assume the fluidity of exhibition will maybe project to your ML? When you have :
-99 TS (true TS, before any team roles effect) ,
- plus the player affinity is 99 in all your instructions,
-plus the affinity of you as a manager is 120% (this is personal theory, taken from how it works in MyClub, i believe it is hidden stat here) ,
-plus your players must be hot-red on the heat map, plus your player adaptability in his current position must be maximised (aka, appropriate stats/OPR/position playability A),
-plus your players must be in development and not in decline,
-plus the team roles that boost other stats like exp gained,morale boost, heart-boost, condition boost, etc.

In short words, playing ML you must accept that it is a game mode Sui Generis from the beginning as a j-RPG. You must exploit all the RPG elemetns, in order to reach the full potential, which is the exhibition mode gameplay.

After a few days of banging my head against Spelunky 2, and not really getting anywhere, I decided to start a ML campaign. Mostly to test things out, I won't start a potential multi season one until transfers are done. Like last year, I picked Parma, and set it to Top Player, Full Manual (basic through balls). I usually go with Professional difficulty when playing FUMA, but wanted to change things up a bit. Initially, things looked good. Opponent AI was still a bit wonky, frequently ignoring balls they should intercept with ease, letting my ball carrier run half the pitch uninterrupted, because they had other players to mark, the usual. But I was enjoying the feel of the game, and the FUMA experience led to moments like these, which felt satisfying, even without the ball ending up in the back of the net.

A few games where fine, and then they descended into the dreaded slog of ML Team Spirit PES. Every game was a 0-0 and I became very bored with it. No matter how I set up, all my shots went straight to the keeper, and the opponents couldn't even muster a goal when I was all out attacking near the end of the games.
I then started a new game, AZ Alkmaar this time, and behold, it was fun again. Won my first Europa League Qualifier, then had a rough game against Groningen, where I had a late game equalizer and then in overtime, this happened:

So weather it is the before mentioned TS or Scripting, the systems in Master League are annoying AF and need to be abolished. I'm not sure I can make it over the TS hump this year, I might rather just play normal leagues and Cups.

@Isslander Regarding your first vid, That's the kind of enthusiasm FUMA can invoke in the player, It's like a drug, The notion that nothing is guaranteed in relation to your inputs and waiting and watching to see if your idea comes to fruition. On PA1/Basic you know that shot is likely going on target regardless of what you do with the controller and that's what can lead to a passive and disengaging experience with the game.

Regarding the second vid, Yeah I totally understand. The total Wipeout style of collisions can get pretty ridiculous and don't necessary enhance the immersion of the game because they don't look natural or make sense and it leaves you vulnerable like you depicted.

@Isslander Regarding your first vid, That's the kind of enthusiasm FUMA can invoke in the player, It's like a drug, The notion that nothing is guaranteed in relation to your inputs and waiting and watching to see if your idea comes to fruition. On PA1/Basic you know that shot is likely going on target regardless of what you do with the controller and that's what can lead to a passive and disengaging experience with the game.

Regarding the second vid, Yeah I totally understand. The total Wipeout style of collisions can get pretty ridiculous and don't necessary enhance the immersion of the game because they don't look natural or make sense and it leaves you vulnerable like you depicted.
I think I was not clear enough, or at all. I scored that overtime goal and was very happy with it, it was the same as when I started with Parma, just good fun, then the game just sort of dragged me down after that. This hasn't happened yet in the AZ save, but I fully expect it to. I will be playing more to find out.

I still feel a lack of urgency from the AI from a defensive standpoint. I play on Superstar, manual passing, but I hardly feel like I'm in any danger because I'm rarely pressed from the front or in the midfield. The middle of the pitch clears out like a bomb threat and you can usually just waltz right through. Acres of space on the wings as well. What happens is, I usually tune out and start to intentionally play in a very inefficient manner (convoluted attempts at build-up when the simpler option is on) because it would be too straightforward and linear otherwise. It's not like I'm destroying the CPU 5-0 every match, it's just I don't find it mentally taxing enough when it comes to creating goal scoring opportunities.

On the ball, it's definitely improved, but the snooze-fest AI is preventing me from running up the hours.

Last edited:
After a few days of banging my head against Spelunky 2, and not really getting anywhere, I decided to start a ML campaign. Mostly to test things out, I won't start a potential multi season one until transfers are done. Like last year, I picked Parma, and set it to Top Player, Full Manual (basic through balls). I usually go with Professional difficulty when playing FUMA, but wanted to change things up a bit. Initially, things looked good. Opponent AI was still a bit wonky, frequently ignoring balls they should intercept with ease, letting my ball carrier run half the pitch uninterrupted, because they had other players to mark, the usual. But I was enjoying the feel of the game, and the FUMA experience led to moments like these, which felt satisfying, even without the ball ending up in the back of the net.

A few games where fine, and then they descended into the dreaded slog of ML Team Spirit PES. Every game was a 0-0 and I became very bored with it. No matter how I set up, all my shots went straight to the keeper, and the opponents couldn't even muster a goal when I was all out attacking near the end of the games.
I then started a new game, AZ Alkmaar this time, and behold, it was fun again. Won my first Europa League Qualifier, then had a rough game against Groningen, where I had a late game equalizer and then in overtime, this happened:

So weather it is the before mentioned TS or Scripting, the systems in Master League are annoying AF and need to be abolished. I'm not sure I can make it over the TS hump this year, I might rather just play normal leagues and Cups.
for the second video: i dont know for sure if you headed the ball outside the pen area yourself... i definitly forget to clear those balls sideways all the time. :D opens up another opportunity for the AI.
anyway... i had those "scripted goal"-situations too... so i might better go cups and league mode only.

for the second video: i dont know for sure if you headed the ball outside the pen area yourself... i definitly forget to clear those balls sideways all the time. :D opens up another opportunity for the AI.
anyway... i had those "scripted goal"-situations too... so i might better go cups and league mode only.

Again, I was obviously not very clear. I scored that goal. It was great. In the next few games I expect the fun to drain out of the game as it did before, due to the systems built into Master League. I will report back on my findings.

Again, I was obviously not very clear. I scored that goal. It was great. In the next few games I expect the fun to drain out of the game as it did before, due to the systems built into Master League. I will report back on my findings.
sorry mate... a lot of repeating for you today it seems! got it now.
and yes, let us know please! :)

I still feel a lack of urgency from the AI from a defensive standpoint. I play on Superstar, manual passing, but I hardly feel like I'm in any danger because I'm rarely pressed from the front or in the midfield. The middle of the pitch clears out like a bomb threat and you can usually just waltz right through. Acres of space on the wings as well. What happens is, I usually tune out and start to intentionally play in a very inefficient manner (convoluted attempts at build-up when the simpler option is on) because it would be too straightforward and linear otherwise. It's not like I'm destroying the CPU 5-0 every match, it's just I don't find it mentally taxing enough when it comes to creating goal scoring opportunities.

On the ball, it's definitely improved, but the snooze-fest AI is preventing me from running up the hours.
I also feel Superstar isn't as cuniving as it was on 2020, I still struggle on it, But not in fighting against the powers that be kind of way, I'm surprised I'm still able to carve out chances on manual whereas on 2020, The game nerfed my players making them sluggish and clumsy when they're already unresponsive as it is.

The midfield is still a problem though, I'm able to carry the ball from just inside my own half to their penalty area with little obstacle or protest and even that's on Superstar.

I'm till only playing Exhibition mind.

I also feel Superstar isn't as cuniving as it was on 2020, I still struggle on it, But not in fighting against the powers that be kind of way, I'm surprised I'm still able to carve out chances on manual whereas on 2020, The game nerfed my players making them sluggish and clumsy when they're already unresponsive as it is.

The midfield is still a problem though, I'm able to carry the ball from just inside my own half to their penalty area with little obstacle or protest and even that's on Superstar.

I'm till only playing Exhibition mind.

The AI can't currently handle losing a marked player. If you get ahead of someone who is supposed to be marking you, you can just go like the wind and unless your teammates drag their markers into your path, you will be stopped no sooner than the edge of the penalty box, if at all.

The middle of the pitch clears out like a bomb threat and you can usually just waltz right through. Acres of space on the wings as well. What happens is, I usually tune out and start to intentionally play in a very inefficient manner (convoluted attempts at build-up when the simpler option is on) because it would be too straightforward and linear otherwise. It's not like I'm destroying the CPU 5-0 every match, it's just I don't find it mentally taxing enough when it comes to creating goal scoring opportunities.

1000%. I really don’t understand how this isn’t a bigger problem for people. The amount of space is insane!!!

Back
Top Bottom