eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

I tried PA0 this morning and yes, it feels much better this year. Also playing PA0 on TP is more fun. Thing is I still don´t feel like stats play a big part here.
I played an exhibition match first with top teams and indeed they pass better and all, but in terms of error it looks like it just takes my input in consideration, not the player abilities.
I´ll play a couple more sessions though, maybe that feeling will grow in me.

Manual shooting last year was boring as f**k. A 63 rated midfield bum, or a 92 super striker, didn't matter they all took long shots like missiles & side footed full power shots from 5yrds out.
Has this been sorted?

I've been playing manual offline since '13, and imo the Fox Engine 'manual' mechanics are pure bollocks.
Before you could charge up the pass/shot and manage your aim right up until the player kicks the ball. That extra second made all the difference with crap AI runs and janky animations.
Now the aim is locked the moment you press the pass/shot button.
The players are braindead & unresponsive enough as it is without compounding this problem by reducing immediate user input. It also now helps bolster the rail running and automated gameplay feeling.

Passing & shooting need a complete overhaul for '22. And speaking of '13, PA1 was the best (semi) assisted passing of any Pes game imo. So much freedom and control, plus manual thruballs (skill based). Unfortunately it also had PA4 & a bugged high line which destroyed competitive play.

I hope they bring this freedom back in '22, because I believe that they could get the best out of Pes with a great semi-assisted passing/shooting system regarding a combination of user skills & player stats.

For competitive online, I'd love the devs to grow some balls and choose skill based, tactical football over mindless longball super accurate assisted sprinty sprint.
For every other game mode they can offer up as many uber assists as they dream up.

Full manual players, doesn't it bother you that pass direction is locked in once you hit the pass button? In Fifa you can still change the direction while the pass is powering up, I really miss that in PES. So many misplaced passes because the pass took longer to execute than I expected and I can't adjust the direction.
Funny enough - This actually really bugs me in Fifa. Id rather if manual passing was the same as Pes. Once I decide on the direction of pass - I consider this pass performed and Im either trying to adjust my receiver, or make a run with the passing boyo. Quite often im ending up changing the direction of pass by a complete accident.
For me, personally - Pes manual passing works much better.

Bravo Konami...

Celtic vs Celtic on Online Divisions, both kits this season are green (just put a third one FFS), game is obviously unplayable. Come on, there is no way to leave the game without losing 3-0?

Again, bravo. :APPLAUD:
Yeah the online semantics of Konami always seemed like they have just discovered broadband and "set & forget" online game modes rather than brainstorming contingency's for things that even a monkey and plankton could pre-empt would be disastrous if unaddressed.

But it does beggar belief too why clubs seem to not have a totallydifferent colour variation for an away kit. It's next to impossible to play as Brazilian teams because most of them have Black and White kits and guess what, their away kits are *shock horror* Black OR White!

Funny enough - This actually really bugs me in Fifa. Id rather if manual passing was the same as Pes. Once I decide on the direction of pass - I consider this pass performed and Im either trying to adjust my receiver, or make a run with the passing boyo. Quite often im ending up changing the direction of pass by a complete accident.
For me, personally - Pes manual passing works much better.
In FIFA, you've been able to "lock" passes in early (PES-style) since last year. Check this out!

I'd much rather have the choice between the two, personally.

Pass Receiver Lock (New)
The Pass Receiver Lock can be set up in 2 ways, Early and Late (default).

Late:

This option enabled means that you’ll have time to alter your passing directional input as close as possible to the ball being kicked. Simply put, Late means that you can change where you’re aiming your pass until very late in a passing animation.

This option can give you control of the passing direction for longer, but it generally requires you to be more careful about accidentally changing your aim in the last moment.

Early:

This option will lock in your directional input early on in the passing animation. This means that you cannot change where you’re aiming your pass in the last few moments before making contact with the ball.

In FIFA, you've been able to "lock" passes in early (PES-style) since last year. Check this out!

I'd much rather have the choice between the two, personally.
Yes, I tried it and its very odd.
Maybe due to a "twitchy" and hyperactive nature of the players on the pitch. They still skate, glitch and move way to fast for this system to work. You have your pass "locked", but your player turned 180 and twitching, which results in constant misplaced passes.
So you are ending up holding the direction you want to pass anyway..

Ps. Looking at the last few pages - the magic is slowly fading here..

Maybe due to a "twitchy" and hyperactive nature of the players on the pitch. They still skate, glitch and move way to fast for this system to work. You have your pass "locked", but your player turned 180 and twitching, which results in constant misplaced passes.

I guess the magic will always fade for some - im still really enjoying this - i dont think ive played a football game with the sense of so much freedom and i think its all down to the improved responsiveness of your players when no it control - even if i slightly miss place a pass my players go looking for the ball.

Of course there's room for a lot of improvement

Manual shooting last year was boring as f**k. A 63 rated midfield bum, or a 92 super striker, didn't matter they all took long shots like missiles & side footed full power shots from 5yrds out.
Has this been sorted?

No. I've edited a team so all players have Finishing stat of 40 and their manual shots are still all laser-guided missiles, just like every other player.

For me, it's the AI more than anything else that needs redesigned from scratch. The cpu play is tiresomely repetitive, awareness issues are still abundant and every match is peppered with too many glaringly bad moments. The on-rails feeling is strong and the arcade rubber-banding is as bad as I can remember. Time to kill off this AI dinosaur and start afresh with a modern approach. Roll on 22.

I guess the magic will always fade for some - im still really enjoying this - i dont think ive played a football game with the sense of so much freedom and i think its all down to the improved responsiveness of your players when no it control - even if i slightly miss place a pass my players go looking for the ball.

Of course there's room for a lot of improvement

Same as that. Although I only play a few games a day. The improvements from PES 20 now actually make it playable again. Which is great, because I found it very difficult to play more than one PES 20 game without turning off the console.

i'm still here mate! :BYE:
i have tons of video footage (i wanted to publish) but been busy playing! :D i might better start an upload before my PES session...

btw: i never felt "the magic", to begin with. to me its "just" this gen's PES a bit more polished. still a lot of room for improvements (AND the much needed basics DONE right!!) as @hitmanuk just said!

Last edited:
Seriously how the hell do i beat legend for the second Legend in myclub, never been so handicapped by the game. Never had an issue playing the CPU til now. My players have gone to shit, so delayed and slow, unresponsive, cant make simple passes (had to go to PA3 and it made no difference), cant finish, cant tackle...its just so obvious and blatant!

i'm still here mate! :BYE:
i have tons of video footage (i wanted to publish) but been busy playing! :D i might better start an upload before my PES session...

btw: i never felt "the magic", to begin with. to me its "just" this gen's PES a bit more polished. still a lot of room for improvements (AND the much needed basics DONE right!!) as @hitmanuk just said!
Please upload on YouTube so that I can also view it in India.

Seriously how the hell do i beat legend for the second Legend in myclub, never been so handicapped by the game. Never had an issue playing the CPU til now. My players have gone to shit, so delayed and slow, unresponsive, cant make simple passes (had to go to PA3 and it made no difference), cant finish, cant tackle...its just so obvious and blatant!
Do not use your best squad and do not try to play football.

even if i slightly miss place a pass my players go looking for the ball.
Yeah, this is what I also find great about this game. Better awareness is the most important improvement over 2020 for me.
I mean, in 2020 if the pass was a little astray the receiver would often stare at the ball without ever trying to get to it, while now at least he tries. Now, it doesn't always work flawlessly especially for the AI (strangely enough, I now feel that my players are a little "more aware" than the AI ones, at Top Player difficulty) but it's definitely improved.
I also tried playing some other matches in the meantime and I found that apparently some teams would let you reach their box almost undisturbed while others would press the Hell out of your ball carrier as soon as you approached the midfield line.
So, if it's just a matter of tactics/player instructions, hopefully the "too much space in the middle" issue (my main concern at the moment) could be solved.

pardon my french, but the sheer stupidity of the average pes player is just unbelievable. so i'm playing online quick match with Vejle BK (2* team from denmark) against Juventus. you might think the other guy may try to play some football with a 5* team against vejle, but it doesn't matter. he just mindlessly spams long balls forward from every position and even uses the kick-off bug.

sometimes i think all those players are just robots because pretty much everybody does the same thing all the time. how can this be fun?

anyways, it feels good to beat such a clown with manual passes! :))

Nice one^^.

That kick-off spam is lame.....haven´t tried online yet.

Respect for this and the fact that you can bear the german commentators :LMAO: .
Since Hansi Küpper moved to FIFA, the german ones in PES are awful.....SCHRECKLICH :P .
I switch to english but I can´t even stand that no more, so I followed the advice on some member here, turning them completely down, crowd noise a bit too,
so that you can hear more of the pitch sounds. It´s quite nice.

Btw, politebabypanda.....I got you on my friends list in PES for years^^.
Probably since PES 2018 (...or 2017).
Maybe we can have a few full manual matches soon^^

I'm still enjoying the game but it's only a small part of my rotation. One of the main issues is I'm barely enjoying it enough to endure the jet engine. Better games are at my fingertips on the whisper-quiet PS2, and without having to scythe through a jungle of menus, notifications and cut scenes!

Yeah, this is what I also find great about this game. Better awareness is the most important improvement over 2020 for me.
I mean, in 2020 if the pass was a little astray the receiver would often stare at the ball without ever trying to get to it, while now at least he tries. Now, it doesn't always work flawlessly especially for the AI (strangely enough, I now feel that my players are a little "more aware" than the AI ones, at Top Player difficulty) but it's definitely improved.
I also tried playing some other matches in the meantime and I found that apparently some teams would let you reach their box almost undisturbed while others would press the Hell out of your ball carrier as soon as you approached the midfield line.
So, if it's just a matter of tactics/player instructions, hopefully the "too much space in the middle" issue (my main concern at the moment) could be solved.
The space issue and the AI defensive issue is the reason why I turn off all adv instructions for AI teams in my premier league , switch to.simple settings and assign possession to every team , then I've edited the positions to match the real life formations - took about an hour , possession has frontline pressing which stops a lot of the back tracking defenders

The space issue and the AI defensive issue is the reason why I turn off all adv instructions for AI teams in my premier league , switch to.simple settings and assign possession to every team , then I've edited the positions to match the real life formations - took about an hour , possession has frontline pressing which stops a lot of the back tracking defenders
Does that also fix the AI just tracking all runs which leads to no offsides and opens up so much space? Really like a lot of things in this game and I absolutely hated 20. It just seems too hectic and end to end at times. But the animations, pace, passing is just sublime compared to fifa. I do think shooting and goal scoring in fifa are much better though.

Does that also fix the AI just tracking all runs which leads to no offsides and opens up so much space? Really like a lot of things in this game and I absolutely hated 20. It just seems too hectic and end to end at times. But the animations, pace, passing is just sublime compared to fifa. I do think shooting and goal scoring in fifa are much better though.
what? In fifa 20 there's only one way to score consistently. NEAR POST SHOTS hahaha. No headers, no long shots. TF you mean sir? I come from 12 years of fifa, one year after another. Don't see what youre saying...

what? In fifa 20 there's only one way to score consistently. NEAR POST SHOTS hahaha. No headers, no long shots. TF you mean sir? I come from 12 years of fifa, one year after another. Don't see what youre saying...
I really wasn't talking specifically about fifa 20 which I also don't like btw. Even so, the unpredictability in scoring and shooting in general is just so much more satisfying in my opinion.

hmm i base my game around unpredictability.. Still struggling to see it, however all my Fifa memories got overwhelmed by how bad 19 and 20 were so I guess you may have some reason.

I get caught offside regularly , and FIFA's unpredictabikty just doesn't real natural due to the ball physics but enough about fifa , I enjoy this Pes because I enjoy it not because of a dislike of the other game , they are getting to a point where they are incomparable even though they are both football games

Has this been sorted?
No, but if they change this to be more stat based, they would also have to nerf goalkeepers a bit and add more commands to give more shooting options. And i would be totally ok with it, but they are not going to make those changes in 21, maybe next year.

@final lap I’d be very surprised if anything can fix the retreating/tracking of runs which opens up space. I feel it’s deeply embedded in the code somewhere.

The only way I’ve been able to get a realistic team shape is to use ridiculous man marking techniques. This is in no way useable either, as the realistic shape honestly lasts for about 1 second and then it all breaks down. I just wanted to see if it ‘could’ happen! Praying they’re properly writing 2022 from the ground up..

@final lap I’d be very surprised if anything can fix the retreating/tracking of runs which opens up space. I feel it’s deeply embedded in the code somewhere.

The only way I’ve been able to get a realistic team shape is to use ridiculous man marking techniques. This is in no way useable either, as the realistic shape honestly lasts for about 1 second and then it all breaks down. I just wanted to see if it ‘could’ happen! Praying they’re properly writing 2022 from the ground up..
I'm afraid you might be right. Really a pity because most everything else in Pes 2021 works very well IMO.

Back
Top Bottom