English Football - Starting to doubt Mourinho's achievements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauras

Premiership
7 October 2002
My doubt was started last year.

We all know that it all started with Porto seeing Manchester out of the CL with 2 lessons of tactics in 2004.

After another Euro 2004 Portugal win against England (the usual) Sporting CP faces 2 english teams.Middlesborough and Newcastle are spanked out of UEFA cup with relative ease by a Sporting CP team that could hardly compare to them in budget and overating.

Then comes Benfica this year and spanks a ridiculous Manchester United with 11 reserves. One could think.. "ok, it's probably one in a million".

Today the same benfica that recently lost 3 out of 4 games in the portuguese league (one of them home against Sporting CP 1-3 without a single goal chance) beats the pseudo euro champion Liverpool without even having to play anything... a single ocasion was enough to see Liverpool out 1-0, that "spooky" team that Mourinho finds so hard to beat every time.

Now don't get me wrong... I'm a fan of EPL and a follower but... is it me or english football is a bit overrated? How the hell can one explain such ease from low budget theoretically inferior portuguese teams in beating those enriched english clubs?

Anyone one who can should explain...

PS - Tonight Liverpool got what it deserved... coward tactics deserve hurtful results, it that's the CL champion let me outahere...

PS2 - Please spare me the "arsenal did it" reply. Look at the list of games I've posted and get me some kind of interesting explanation, not the arsenal achievements against another european joke as current Real.

Benfica hardly troubled Liverpool till the end and at that they didnt look that dangerous. Benfica are clearly the better side in Portugal as Porto were terrible in the CL finishing where abouts in their group?????? I think to say that the EPL is overrated is a bit Naive , its far from that, its up there with the big three leagues in the world. Now ever country will prefare its own league , and the smaller nations will have their own favs also. But C'mon its half time m8 a little ahead of yourself atm Liverpool could still go through and so could Real Madrid.

Maurus said:
... not the arsenal achievements against another european joke as current Real.

Also to use that comparision that Real are weak so its not worth the same value as beating a top quality Real is an exact comparasion to Benfica beating Man U . Man U have been a great European side and the point taht Benfica and tbf half of the season they have been very poor.

Last edited:
Mauras is talking out of his arse - the Porteguese league is far weaker than the EPL and everyone knows it!

Benfica were lucky tonight, I have to admit.

hope someone can contradict the numbers.. still without any reasoning.

Porto beats Manchester
Benfica beats Manchester
Benfica beats Liverpool
Sporting beats Newcastle
Sporting beats Middlesborough
Portugal beats England in Euro 2000, Euro 2004 (in fact the last time england won against us in a competition was in... 1966 :))

It can all be a big coincidence but...

Cloud: benfica are what? :)
Benfica lost the past 3 out of 4 games in the portuguese league, 2 of them by 3 goals and the other by 2, they are 2 points of droping to 6th place and are a current domestic league joke. That's what took to beat Manchester and now Liverpool.

Pathetic, and simply can't understand how Mourinho doesn't win his league with 50 points ahead.

^ Didn't he do what he's doing now in Portugal?

We're 2 points from dropping to 6th and 3 to go up to 2nd, so...

stfu502aw.jpg

hmm you folks seem to forget that this round of the Champions League has 2 legs?

perhaps Portuguese teams are this nation's bogey team(s). Just because Liverpool can't beat Birmingham in the premiership doesn't mean Birmingham are greater than the European Champions.

I really worry about some evo-web members

All i can say is Sporting fans are the saddest people on the planet. Really. It's pathetic.

Mauras, figure out why you never started a topic related to Sporting. Then you'll understand why you're a jealous little Sporting fan.

Last edited:
I kind of like this provocative thread Mauras, English people are tended to think rather quick that their league is the best of the world...

It is clear that you like tactically mature performances (like both Porto wins against Man Utd).

However, if my memory serves me well there is one (or rather two as a matter of fact) tactically mature display that you seemed to appreciate rather less...i'm talking about a certain (or rather two certain) Portugal - Greece matches at Euro 2004...

Aren't you just a tiny litle bit biased my Portugese friend, is your logic not a litle bit flawed:

Porto against Man Utd or Benfica against Liverpool = tactically mature performance, clever football

Greece against Portugal (and Greece against Portugal): negative football....

It is clear that football and fandom in Portugal is not exact science...no offense meant but since your assist was beautiful it would be a waste not to score this easy goal...

hubneo said:
When elephant are near to die, they retire and choose a calm place...it s the same for football player with EPL

Ok what you been smoking?

wouldn't call porto knocking united out a "tactical lesson"

porto were the better side in the 1st leg but got lucky in the 2nd leg, they played with "coward" tactics trying to prevent united scoring then hit them with a sucker punch in the dying seconds when it was too late for united to do anything about it, also united had a perfectly good goal ruled out which would've finished the tie

fuckin hell, must be something wrong with me defending the mancs
pukeb.gif

greece did exactly the same to portugal that porto did to united so by your logic the greek league is stronger than the portugese

the game last night between benfica and liverpool was dire, neither side looked like scoring and benfica nicked it with a set piece that we should've delt with, it's only half time and 1-0 isn't a big lead so anything can happen in the 2nd leg

bradley1886 said:
i can't believe people are actually even bothering to argue...

why for?

mauras ask if EPL is overated, yes, but who care, what is about EPL? high tactical team or a sort of "little-NBA" with offensive play and a lot of goal?

who win in NBA, 76ers/Lakers or Spurs/Pistons?

Is SL underated, yes.

Is it difficult for english team to play against continental team, why big EPL team choose non-english coach?

What is the real value of liverpool team?

Are ARS and Man U big european team, or are they trying to remade a new team with young players?

:shock:

Justice in a football match is a curious thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've seen of Portugese football they have a very effective tactic against English sides:

Act, play act, whine, cheat, dive, and hope for a lucky goal. The EPL teams just don't know how to deal with it.

fd1972uk said:
What's this got to do with Mourinho? I'm obviously missing something here.

I explain:

To me mourinho is a guru, no question about that. He will prevail in soccer history forever.

Lets move on.

Last year he reacted strangely (in his column in a portuguese magazine) about the fact that Sporting found it so darn easy to spank the hell out of Newcastle and Middles, specially the first ones (because they got Chelsea out of the cup?). When one red his comments it looked like he was not very happy about it, as somekind of setback on the projection he aimed for his achievements. Maybe you don't notice this but Mourinho gives a bigger importance to what ppl think about him here, in tiny Portugal, than anywhere else, it's interesting to check how although working hard in the EPL is still finds time to follow, study and comment every darn event in portuguese soccer, what portuguese pundits say about him, etc, it looks like an obession (and isn't obsession his middle name and the reason for his sucess?).

A friend of mine told me something last year which I refuted because I love the EPL athmosphere:
"What Mourinho does in england is easier than what he did here in Portugal. English teams play wonderfully against eachother, but when they come to play european soccer is when you see how overated and arrogant thay are when approaching other teams".

I refuted this, as I said but after so many wins based on the same factor (arrogance from the oposition) I have to agree with him... EPL teams just look stronger than they actually are, starting on their managers, who face european oposition with arrogance and lack of professionalism.

Now Benitez.. always found him a bluff although I like to see Liverpool win the CL last year. Benitez and pleasant soccer are oposing concepts. All Benitez seems to know is how to pick a good side and transform them in the most boring team of the season, he has that midas touch. His curricullum nowadays seems to resume to "how to put my whole team and tactic potencial on one sole objective: keeping Chelsea far from scoring against us". Ridiculous.

His decision to rest Gerard, play Fowler as it was an easy "good for reintegration" game and play for the 0-0 with disgusting long balls was the perfect example of how english teams arrogantly face european oposition.

So despite the ridiculous and childish remarks of some benfica fans (not all) surely younger (so their excused) I say: although both teams deserve to go out for such poor football I hope benfica can deliver if liverpool mantain this course, cause although playing bad benfica doesn't have neither the responsability neither the potencial to do better, while liverpool simply refuses to meet the responsability of a worthy CL champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom