• Note for new users: Please keep your posts English or we will delete them. There's a "No English?" area in our Editing discussion forum for those who prefer writing in their native language.
  • Site maintenance info: We got rid of the "Patches and Option Files" area and moved all threads from 2020 to their corresponding subs in the Editing area. Let me know if you're missing a thread or face any other issues related to this move. /Tom

English Premier League thread

Flipper the Priest

Hellow Mum
15 July 2003
Aberdeen
I still can't take Brendan Rodgers seriously. He did well enough with Luis Suarez's Liverpool; Celtic was cakewalk with more money in the bank than the rest of Scottish football combined (not an exaggeration); and now Leicester spluttering at the finish.

Strikes me as being a good assistant, on the training ground. Seems to improve individuals considerably. But he's naive, tactically.

And then there's the ego and the lies. The best lie being this. He lives in a fantasy world.

The difference between Liverpool and City and the others is huge...not good. But in England there are at least two clubs much better. Better than PSG, Bayern and Juventus. This is not good for football. Football needs competition. The huge amounts of money that are involved are killing competition.
Here in Belgium we just have (had?) the best generation ever. Yet they hardly played for Belgian clubs. Can you imagine having and English golden generation who all play for foreign clubs? That is how we feel here...
It's all groundwork for the Super League. Financial Fair Play was designed to protect these clubs and ensure the competition gets left behind. Uefa is on a hiding to nothing as any step it takes to preserve parity will only push the top-level clubs away sooner. It's terribly sad, as what made football what it is fades away. I refuse to believe it's sustainable though. The emerging markets that plough money into the richest clubs won't (surely?) stay enthralled with the increasingly limited competition.

Last edited:

PeterC10

Championship
31 May 2007
United Kingdom
Liverpool FC
And then there's the ego and the lies. The best lie being this. He lives in a fantasy world.
I knew what that was going to be before even clicking the link. :D His David Brentness really doesn't help him.

He is good at getting the best out of attacking players certainly, not just Suarez at Liverpool but also the likes of Sturridge and Sterling. Vardy at 33 has just won the golden boot, the likes of Maddison have improved under him as well.

Do agree he's naive tactically. Going to be a big ask for him and Leicester next season, don't think 60ish points will be enough for a team to be in and around the top 4.

Stan

Allez les Lionceaux !!!
12 September 2002
It might end in sort of Superleague like NBA, but without salary cap and without the draftsystem (worst club has first pick). Football needs a David Stern.

Stan

Allez les Lionceaux !!!
12 September 2002
I knew what that was going to be before even clicking the link. :D His David Brentness really doesn't help him.

He is good at getting the best out of attacking players certainly, not just Suarez at Liverpool but also the likes of Sturridge and Sterling. Vardy at 33 has just won the golden boot, the likes of Maddison have improved under him as well.

Do agree he's naive tactically. Going to be a big ask for him and Leicester next season, don't think 60ish points will be enough for a team to be in and around the top 4.
Clubs like Man United, Chelsea and perhaps even Arsenal will be stronger next season ( I’m a Spurs fan, I really don’t see them become better as long as Mourinho is there). So.’ this was a unique opportunity for Leicester and I fear some of their better players will also think that and might want to leave.

Flipper the Priest

Hellow Mum
15 July 2003
Aberdeen

He is more Brent than Brent!

He took Forrest, McGregor and Tierney at Celtic from good to great (by Scottish Premiership standards) in a very short space of time and made Celtic untouchable. But then he'd go to Camp Nou and try to play them off the pitch like they would St Mirren, and they got battered. And he was unrepentant about the approach.

Quite surprised at the rise of Maddison. He was decent with us but looked very showy. I genuinely think he benefited from getting kicked about by caveman Scottish defenders.

It might end in sort of Superleague like NBA, but without salary cap and without the draftsystem (worst club has first pick). Football needs a David Stern.
Love the commissioner idea. It's been mooted in Scotland as a means of actually getting things done, in the interests of the league. Otherwise, as with football on a grander scale, decision making is riddled with self-interest and becomes a messy, inefficient and protracted ordeal.

Stan

Allez les Lionceaux !!!
12 September 2002
About Rodgers' approach against Barcelona, well i see nothing wrong with that. A club like Celtic will always have a massive disadvantage against mega clubs like Barcelona. I know that it might be bad for the players' confidence, but a loss with 1-0 or one 11-0 is 0 points. Look at Southampton after they lost 9-0 to Leicester, they learned from it and ended the season very good.

I know most of you will not agree with me but i like my club to play good football even if the results are not there. As a Spurs fan i loved the football we played under Pocchetino even if we didn't win silverware, it was great to watch. Now we (supposedly) have a manager who wins silverware, but our football is piss poor (and a totally classless guy, Vertonghen didn't got is farewell minutes yesterday, a total disgrace). I doubt we will win something under Mourinho, but if we do, i will still prefer the Pocchetino years. Don't forget that football is supposed to be entertainment. That is why i sympathize with both LIverpool and Man City, they are entertaining people (even if City has an unfair advantage, but that is a totally different story).

Allow me to talk about Belgian football (i'm sorry). Usually Belgian clubs are piss poor in the CL. When Gent played the CL their coach at the time (Hein Van Haezebrouck imo, the best Belgian coach) decides to play attacking football because he was convinced that his player group had enough quality. They were second in their group and reached the knock-out stages...because they had no fear (usually Belgian teams start matches to avoid a serious beating and they end up being beaten seriously (best example is my favourite team KRC Genk).

mattmid

Champions League
15 December 2011
I think this Premier season was a little like the Leicester City winning season. All the other supposed big teams were very average (Man City losing 9 games for example) whilst instead of Leicester you had a good Liverpool team being supremely consistent (I think it was 15 wins or something by one goal?)

I know most of you will not agree with me but i like my club to play good football even if the results are not there. As a Spurs fan i loved the football we played under Pocchetino even if we didn't win silverware, it was great to watch. Now we (supposedly) have a manager who wins silverware, but our football is piss poor (and a totally classless guy, Vertonghen didn't got is farewell minutes yesterday, a total disgrace). I doubt we will win something under Mourinho, but if we do, i will still prefer the Pocchetino years. Don't forget that football is supposed to be entertainment. That is why i sympathize with both LIverpool and Man City, they are entertaining people (even if City has an unfair advantage, but that is a totally different story).
I agree completely with that. My team (Portsmouth) finished 5th this season and it was the worst season of football I've ever had the misfortune to watch them play. Boring, turgid, basic percentage football (get it wide. mostly with a long, often aimless, ball, cross it, rinse repeat) add to that sit back once ahead and play on the break, consequently giving up leads often. If ever there was football fit to be played behind closed doors then this was it. We finished 5th, were unbeaten at home in the 18 games we'd played before lockdown and not once did I go home thinking that was an enjoyable game today.

He is more Brent than Brent!
I do like his interviews though :)

Flipper the Priest

Hellow Mum
15 July 2003
Aberdeen
I agree completely with that. My team (Portsmouth) finished 5th this season and it was the worst season of football I've ever had the misfortune to watch them play. Boring, turgid, basic percentage football (get it wide. mostly with a long, often aimless, ball, cross it, rinse repeat) add to that sit back once ahead and play on the break, consequently giving up leads often. If ever there was football fit to be played behind closed doors then this was it. We finished 5th, were unbeaten at home in the 18 games we'd played before lockdown and not once did I go home thinking that was an enjoyable game today.
Horses for courses, I say. Aberdeen is quite possibly the ugliest team to watch in Scotland, especially given we're, arguably, the third best team in the country.

Playing at home to the lesser sides I want to see positivity, passing, pressure - dominating the opposition. But no. We're a Portsmouth too. It's an ugly, attritional grind built on long balls and set pieces. It's the aimlessness that gets you. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with being direct if it's done with purpose, not just punting the ball blindly into the box or up the channels.

But if playing like that gets us a result in Glasgow against Celtic or Rangers or in a big cup game I couldn't give a shit! Obviously it'd be nice to school them but that's fantasy land.

Using Celtic and Rodgers to illustrate the point - Celtic beat Barcelona in Glasgow in 2012 under Neil Lennon. It was about 25 shots to five in Barcelona's favour, and they had about 80% possession. Celtic's goals were from a corner and a long kick straight from the keeper. Other than that they were defending with their lives for the whole game. A Rodgers team would've been pummelled by being more expansive and getting caught out.

PRO_TOO

Team Heffernan
25 May 2003
Rego Park, Germany
Team Heffernan
i did not know, till today, that sky uk is the way to watch PL! :APPLAUD:

sorry I’m late to the party...

any way to watch sky uk in Germany? I’m a sky Germany subscriber if that may help.

Top Bottom