English Premier League thread

Looking good for Leicester at the moment.

I am wondering how the situation in the UK is: Are people generally in favor of them winning the PL as a classical underdog story? Or would they actually prefer a different team like Tottenham or Arsenal to catch up and overtake them?

I'd love Leicester to win, what a story. As my above post - this season has a certain inevitability to it now. They're winning every match by 1 goal, getting no injuries...it's all fit together perfectly. I would bet my house on them not doing it next year, it's been a perfect storm this year and that makes it even more wonderful.

Unrelated, but interesting note on referees and West Ham - they've dropped 5 points from winning positions having had 3 players sent off incorrectly this season - as in, all 3 red cards were immediately overturned. Anyone who says these things balance...is wrong over the course of a season. That's utterly ridiculous, and more should be made of referees making such appalling decisions.

I must be one of the few who loves the Euro League. IMO you often see mmore thrilling matches in the Euro League than in the CL (certainly in the knock-out stages).

But as a Spurs fan...

Spurs lost seven points after Euro League matches...enough said, i guess...

Its that time again...
Men's PFA Players' Player of the Year

Dimitri Payet (West Ham)
Harry Kane (Tottenham)
Jamie Vardy (Leicester)
Mesut Ozil (Arsenal)
N'Golo Kante (Leicester)
Riyad Mahrez (Leicester)

Men's PFA Young Player of the Year

Dele Alli (Tottenham)
Harry Kane (Tottenham)
Jack Butland (Stoke)
Philippe Coutinho (Liverpool)
Romelu Lukaku (Everton)
Ross Barkley (Everton)

Since , its being a Euro year and these outcome will be forgotten by the time Euro starts. I'm going w/ Vardy and Kane to win it. These outcomes seem to want to give England a push by naming their own ( rightly so!) I don't think Payet had done anything above the others , but scored good fk. Ozil can probably get 21 assist a league record too! Vardy winning the league w/ 20 goals is like SerieA league.

Kante or Mahrez
Kane or Alli

Surely Martial more deserving than Coutinho. That little shit seems to live off a few good games vs City every season!

Where is Toby Alderweireld? Ask every Spurs fan who is the player of the season and he'll name Toby. Kane is on fire now, but at the beginning of the season he was not good...may have cost Spurs the title...

I'm going for Vardy and Alli (should be Mahrez and Alli).

Mahrez and Alli without question imo...

Mahrez being best player in PL this season, possible champion

Alli made his debut in PL and made it from a young championship player to starter for England...

Tells you all you need to know about media narrative that 2 of the 13th placed team in the league are in there! Barkley...good lord. Lukaku I'll give you.

It should be Mahrez and Alli. But if the award goes to single player earning his team the most points, it's mental that David De Gea isn't on there. United would easily be in the bottom half without his inhumanness. United are a shower of sh*t and still in with a chance of 4th. That's almost all down to Dave.

Mahrez and Ali.

Good shout about Martial Godo but I reckon his price tag works against him, people forget he's young because of it.

I agree with you about De Gea, but i also think nobody or nothing associated with the current Man Utd should win a prize.

I already agree to give him the Ballon D'or for his European Championship if he is listed as a Spain player or if by the Ballon D'Or time he is a player of a different team.

Barkley being there is indeed a colossal mistake (and personally i'm far from convinced by Lukaku, i think he'll never ever succeed with a big team, his first touch is very, very poor).

Ideally there are no individual trophies in a team sport and the fact that once again there seem to be no outstanding defenders is weird at least...is there ever one?

I think Mahrez and Alli should win them.

Although agree that Alderwereld (sp?) should be in there, been absolute superb.

Can't see past Leicester now, although I have to say whilst I love that a team who just survived last year taking the top prize, come CL time I can't see them doing much, and think next season will be very hard for them.

Unbelievable story though, although even a team like Leicester, us in Scotland can only look on in envy at £7m players, and £70k a week wages to players which is deemed bargain basement now in that crazy place called the EPL.

£80k a week Jon-Jo Shelvey, Neymar Jr - £75k - basic wages, lol.

FD

CgLM6GtXIAEDaKk.png

Villa have done 1 thing right this season. They've appointed David Bernstein, the man responsible for fixing City after the mid-late 90's debacle.

If allowed, he has the pedigree to restructure the club and come back stronger in a year or 2

agree, but both penalties were a farce. huth shouldve had a penalty when ogbonna hugged him but moss clearly compensated.

Vardy dive/red was correct decision

Oh definitely a yellow. He did the same thing against Rafael last year and it was totally ignored. Anyway. Good to see him punished, can think of a couple other occassions he's 'earned' a penalty.

The penalty from the corner is just a joke for me. Either every corner is a penalty until they stop hugging each other, or you let them all go. You can't call one, then not call one, then give a random shoulder to shoulder penalty in the 94th minute to compensate.

Gonna be an interesting few games.

Everton are in free-fall so I see Leicester picking 3 points up there, and seems Chelsea might be the deciding factor here.

FD

I hope Man United win against Leicester, but (as a Spur fan) i think it's over. Everton will not win against Leicester and Chelsea have clearly made it plain that they want Leicester to become champions, i.e. they will loose against Leicester and do everything to win against Spurs...

I don't see where Leicester will loose 5 points in matches and it's not sure that SPurs will win all their matches (WBA, Chelsea away, Southampton and Newcastle away).

I'm afraid it's over for Spurs. IMO both Leicester and Spurs have massively overachieved (just like West Ham) but after 38 matches the winner always deserves it. Leicester are the biggest underdogs of both teams, so it's logical that most people want them to win it, i of all people (who loves underdogs) understand this...what a shame for Spurs though...this was a unique opportunity...next year teams like Man City and Chelsea will not underachieve...

Well, i guess that's it then...congratulations to Leicester...should have known it, Pulis....credit to him and his team. It was nice to dream.

Of all the teams in their run in, you would've thought WBA was 3 points in the bag.

Don't get me wrong should have won, passed up great chances.

But no dramatic finale this year, think it may well be over this weekend.

Mind you could be an anti-climax as both teams are playing at different times and could well be one of those Spurs slip up and hand the title to them. Not that they are going to bother too much with that, but it's always better at that moment.

FD

for me seeing aston villa and almost certain newcastle united relegated from the league is disgusting, to say the least. simply hate seasons when teams with great history get relegated.

and hate to see teams like bournemouth staying in the league.

i miss old EPL, with leeds, blackburn, middlesbrough, birmingham... and now what, without great teams like aston villa and newcastle?

come on...

Back
Top Bottom