English Premier League thread

i have to disagree... sorry to say this but Villa deserve to go down and Brounemouth is one very nice team, considering they have no superstars...

i miss old EPL, with leeds, blackburn, middlesbrough, birmingham... and now what, without great teams like aston villa and newcastle?

come on...
Most of these teams simply didn't play good enough to deserve a spot in the best league of the country. That's the easy rule in sports. It's sometimes a shame, but without it no new history could be written and we would always see the same teams.

And I can't say how much I am delighted to see Leicester so close to winning the PL even though I personally support the Spurs normally. Guess I like it too much to see underdogs having great times.

And btw: Seems like there finally was justice for the 96.

JFT96, finally. Well acknowledgement anyway. There'll never be justice.

I think United will beat Leicester on Sunday, just because I don't want them to ;)

Utd have done well in the big games but Leicester don't play like the others. Their nearest in style is probably Chelsea and they're the ones (I know they've been crap but they're still a big game) Utd have done worst against.

Without Vardy tho I can see it being a draw. A set piece may swing it.

Leicester City. Champions of England.

ChetBnLWIAAwF-_.jpg

Great achievement and glad to see something unexpected happening in one of the big European leagues!

Wonderful. Just crazy. So happy for Ranieri and all our grads (Simpson, Drinkwater, De Laet etc)

Great trivia - I think De Laet will get a Prem medal AND a championship medal this year!

De Laet getting a Championship medal isn't that certain yet as I reckon Burnley will beat Charlton on saturday.

What a season this has been. Congratz to Leicester and they definitely deserved it. Some may say that the big teams got injured or were underperforming or whatever, but you cannot take away from the consistency and play of Leicester throughout this season.

What a story!

Normally i would be over the moon with Leicester being champions...and yes they deserve it and it's great for football...but Spurs missed a once in a lifetime opportunity.

We are ending the league like we started it: too many draws...

Oh and yesterday's match was a disgrace...was it 9 or 10 yellow cards and there should have been at least 3 sending offs (Dembele for what he did to Costa's eye, Dier with two yellows and of course the most stupid player of the EPL Kyle Walker). And then i forgot what Lamela did to Fabregas' hand, should have been 4 sending offs...somebody on that pithc decided that it would not be a football match but a war and that was Spurs's ondoing. ANd imo Spurs's started it (Dembele on Fabregas?). What was wrong with Mousa yesterday? Ordinary he is such a calm guy...

Despite all this 3 great goals...well it has been a good season and congratulations to Leicester, it is a fairy tale...but not for us.

Watch out Arsenal will end above us (and boy they are so much worse than we are, they are pathetic to watch).

What a season this has been. Congratz to Leicester and they definitely deserved it. Some may say that the big teams got injured or were underperforming or whatever, but you cannot take away from the consistency and play of Leicester throughout this season.

What a story!

Yea, whatever the failings of the favourites, Leicester have still amassed at least 77pts
That's at least enough for a top 4 finish in every PL season since 02 (can't be arsed to check the rest tbh) and top 3 in the majority of them.

That's crazy for a team which looked like it was going to be relegated bottom of the league just over a year ago, not to mention its wage budget being something like 17th in the league

Last edited:
Some going, don't get me wrong, I think CL is gonna be a harsh lesson for them, although they do have a wealthy backer, but I just can't see it for next year.

However, unbelievable and all the best to them, great to see so many cast-offs (sounds harsh, but that is technically what they would be known as) have managed to claim the top prize in England.

As said, it probably is the greatest achievement in Sport, going by the odds.

FD

They will have to defy the odds for the second time and hold the squad together. This may prove to be more difficult than winning the title.

And if players like Kante, Mahrez and others move to bigger clubs will they be as good as with Leicester? I sincerely doubt it...i hope Leicester can keep this team together...and strenghten it. Last week there was a rumour that Leicester would be interested in Totti...it would be great to see Totti in the EPL, but it would be 5 years too late...i hope for Leicester that this is a false rumour.

Also hope Leicester can keep their squad together and strenghten it.

Club Value (bn) Year change Revenue Operating income
1 Real Madrid £2.49 12% £479m £112m
2 Barcelona £2.42 12% £466m £75m
3 Manchester United £2.28 7% £432m £131m
4 Bayern Munich £1.85 14% £394m £41m
5 Arsenal £1.39 54% £362m £84m
6 Manchester City £1.33 40% £385m £90m
7 Chelsea £1.11 21% £348m £17m
8 Liverpool £1.07 58% £325m £79m
9 Juventus £0.89 55% £269m £56m
10 Tottenham £0.70 69% £214m £50m

It is what it is ..http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/real-madrid-remain-worlds-most-7947971

Some amount of money, but then again in regards to EPL, that's what's wrong with the EPL, young Ignaecho (sp?) looking for £150k per week, lol, come on.

That's the reason why England fail as well, too many over-paid Prima-donnas and they forget about actually trying to achieve something apart from having a healthy bank balance. Not that I'm overly fussed, being a Scotsman. :D

FD

Ignaecho :LOL:
Think that's just stupid paper talk. He'd have to have the most braindead agents ever. He's played 700 mins of PL football

Actually his agents are smart. Why not high-ball for starters? Who knows, City might actually accept it and then he's got the massive contract. If not, they'll go down in steps and he'll still get a big pay-day. I doubt he'll not take anything less than 150k.

Considering his performances this season, I'm sure he can get a good pay somewhere else if City don't want to negotiate. Not saying 150k a week but still. Plenty of teams in the market for a young striker, as they're a rare breed.

He has 3 years left on his contract so we're not in any rush.

He deserves a pay rise to reflect his future position in the squad. What that future position will be will be up to Pep.

These figures are almost certainly tabloid BS anyway. No agent in their right mind demands pay parity with likes of Kompany, Silva.

Back
Top Bottom