English Premier League thread

What on earth is going on with VAR? Two very close offsides given against Newcastle when they were clear in on goal, rather than be allowed to play out, one of which looked definitely onside and then Matip is dragged around by the shoulder for what I thought looked a definite penalty and nothing given.

Add that to the two cast iron penalties they didn't give in the last set of games and it's all becoming a bit of a joke. If you're going to have it then at least use it to correct wrong decisions.

What a breath of fresh air Norwich are to the Premier as well. Play some great stuff at times as well.

I’m watching Liverpool Newcastle.

Firmino’s teeth are brighter than my future.
tenor.gif

It's amazing the way Football mirrors general life, with the sheep following the crowd. Every team and his dog now have to play out from inside their own box for goal kicks. How on earth do you square away the risk/reward for that? Man City almost conceded by doing it just before they actually did. Arsenal had about five attempts at giving a goal away before Watford finally capitalised and scored one of them. Absolute madness. The funniest moment was a goal kick where Leno played the ball about two yards to Luiz, who hammered the ball upfield. Yeah, the keeper could have done that mate.

It's amazing the way Football mirrors general life, with the sheep following the crowd. Every team and his dog now have to play out from inside their own box for goal kicks. How on earth do you square away the risk/reward for that? Man City almost conceded by doing it just before they actually did. Arsenal had about five attempts at giving a goal away before Watford finally capitalised and scored one of them. Absolute madness. The funniest moment was a goal kick where Leno played the ball about two yards to Luiz, who hammered the ball upfield. Yeah, the keeper could have done that mate.
It makes a lot of sense why you would play out from the gk because if you beat the opposition press you've got so much space.

The bit I don't understand though is persisting with something that clearly isn't working. Someone, be it the manager or one of the defenders, needs to insist the gk kicks it long sometimes.

It makes a lot of sense why you would play out from the gk because if you beat the opposition press you've got so much space

True, but if you don't then there's a good chance it's in the back of your net, hence is the risk and reward worth it. In Arsenal's case their defence is more than capable of giving up a goal without indulging in that as well. :D I also really mean this season with the new goal kick rule and passing it to your cb's inside the area, virtually standing next to the keeper.

I'm surprised the 'lesser' teams haven't yet sat back in their own half and let them get on with it, rather than risk getting stretched.

True, but if you don't then there's a good chance it's in the back of your net, hence is the risk and reward worth it. In Arsenal's case their defence is more than capable of giving up a goal without indulging in that as well. :D I also really mean this season with the new goal kick rule and passing it to your cb's inside the area, virtually standing next to the keeper.

I'm surprised the 'lesser' teams haven't yet sat back in their own half and let them get on with it, rather than risk getting stretched.
See Norwich play out the back vs Man City? They were quality at it.

I swear that players don’t take anywhere near as much of the responsibility as they should do.

I’m a Spurs fan, and only 4 months after a champions league final a lot of fans want Poch sacked because it’s gotten ‘stale’ despite him being a good coach.

I do feel for managers like Ole & Zidane.

Ole could be sacked soon, but who is available to take the Man Utd job?
They tried a club legend who hadn't done much apart from get Cardiff relegated.
Mourinho done well in first season, but couldn't compete because the players aren't good enough and board refused to spend.

But money would be on Marco Silva or Nuno Espirito Santo being the first ones to go.
At 14/1 Nuno seems a very good bet for a sneaky tenner.

Real Madrid need Klopp. He'd fit perfectly with the type of players RM currently have. Fast and direct.
Can’t see that myself.
I know there’s the whole ‘lure of Madrid’ nonsense, but Klopp is a perfect fit for Liverpool, he’s built a great team, and he must be absolutely dying to beat City to the league title.

Why go from a club where he’s loved to a club where the president and fans have a long, long history of turning on managers within days.

Can’t see that myself.
I know there’s the whole ‘lure of Madrid’ nonsense, but Klopp is a perfect fit for Liverpool, he’s built a great team, and he must be absolutely dying to beat City to the league title.

Why go from a club where he’s loved to a club where the president and fans have a long, long history of turning on managers within days.

Well I thought about it long and hard and I think I am right. And you are not.

:PP

To Real Madrid: Please disregard this message.

Hahaha

Ole could be sacked soon, but who is available to take the Man Utd job?
They tried a club legend who hadn't done much apart from get Cardiff relegated.

Bit harsh, he's just won a local derby on penalties. :D

More seriously though, surely they have to stick with someone at some point? Not saying he's the right one, but they've had so many managers bringing so many different players through the door that their senior squad is a shambles now.

Solskjaer is not the right manager for United. He was good for a short while as a caretaker, but giving him the job permanent was a huge mistake. IMO the perfect manager for Man United is Mauricio Pocchetino if he gets enough time. I hope it never will happen because i'm a Spurs fan and Spurs will never find a better manager (even if right now it seems as if he isn't the right one, the club needs to back him).

Klopp to Real Madrid would be the biggest possible misfit in football. Klopp-Liverpool is a match made in heaven, the perfect match. IMO Klopp is way too smart to ever go to Real Madrid. The Madrid fans (among the wost fans in the world imo, i'm talking about the ones that are in the stadium) will not appreciate Klopp's football and the current team is too old and too saturated to play the kind of football Klopp wants to play.

I also don't get the lure Madrid has on all these players (Hazard for example is making a colossal mistake going to Madrid). They are the biggest club in the world? Yes, but only because they were supported for decades by a vicious dictator and have bribed countless referees. I know they don't do that anymore (or at least i hope that) but they have build their dynasty that way.
Ten or fiteem years ago, they had serious financial problems and what happened? La ciudad de Madrid bought their training facilities for an erormous amount of money and let Real Madrid use them for free...imo this is also fraudulent.

As a football fan i want fair competition. Sorry for the off-topic rant and despite all i wrote i don't want to offend Real Madrid fans. But if i did: i already apologize.

Who cares about the PREM?

The real football is on tomorrow night..
5.15 Colchester United v Exeter City - League Two Play-off Semi Final

Didn't realise the play-offs were starting so soon!

Colchester's stadium is nice, used to live in Colchester and have been to the ground a few times. But it's too big for the club, and closed doors won't make much difference as the ball boy behind the goal usually gets the stand to himself anyway. :D

Is there a better player in the EPL than Kevin De Bruyne? Liverpool will be the deserved champions, but KDB is by far the best player in the league. He should leave City. Would be a shame if he would never win the CL and City will not win it.

Is there a better player in the EPL than Kevin De Bruyne? Liverpool will be the deserved champions, but KDB is by far the best player in the league. He should leave City. Would be a shame if he would never win the CL and City will not win it.

I agree.
You don't see playmakers like that anymore.
But he's not just that. He also scores. He also comes back and helps defensively.

He's definitely on my top 5 players in the world.

Back
Top Bottom