English Premier League thread

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
There are loads of clubs threads about the Premiership, but to my knowledge there is no "official" thread about the league as a whole...I think there should be one. Mods, if i'm wrong close this thread...i don't mind...

This weekend i loved Yossi Benayoun's first goal for West Ham United against Fulham. First of all it was a fine move and the finishing was extraordinary good. One expects West Ham to avoid relegation but they are defending so weak from set pieces. On top of that they have bad luck.

Michael Carrick scored his first goal for Man Utd. He deserves it although Carrick is a player who is usefull for a team without scoring goals. For me he is among the best transfers Man Utd ever did (well maybe, it's too early to put it that strong, but a really was the last missing piece of a puzzle to make Man Utd a big team again). I really don't see how Chelsea could beat Man Utd to the title this season.

And then there was Henry's goal against Blackburn Rovers, another beauty. A fine result for 10 Arsenal players against a team who is on form...Something tells me that Arsenal will win the Champions League this year...i also think that they will be the best team of the second competition half...but it's too late to win any silverware now...

I hope Wigan Athletic can avoid relegation although i think their team was considerably weakened by the departure of players like Bullard, Chimbonda and Roberts (i'm not sure about his name, last year's forward, where does he play by the way???).

Yeah, I think this is a good idea too, there's too much talk in all the clubs thread that things get lost.

Some really nice goals this weekend, but have to say the defending is laughable.

Gerd, I don't actually agree with Carrick, I don't think he's all that great, maybe he'll come good, but I haven't been impressed with him.

FD

good idea mate:D but if you don't want "war" in this thread please let's keep it for all the teams except "the big four" i think they are enough thread there if you want to talk about them
like that we could talk without bias etc....

PS:Yeah his name his Jason Roberts and now plays for Blackburn but at the moment he's injured with a broken foot

Last edited:
No mention of Obafemi Martins' goal?

Surely the best one of the weekend. But how Tottenham lost that match I do not know - Newcastle were incredibly lucky to get all 3 points.

I hope to see Leyton orient take the crown sometime before I die. Good nucleus of young players there, there's certainly the potential there for top flight football.

IMHO Chelsea just lost the Premiership this weekend. They where shocking against Liverpool. The freak free kick with Ballack is a litle bit symbolical for their season uptil now.
It turns out that Chelsea's past good results were based on a very solid defence (Terry, Cech and to a lesser extent Carvalho). What Chelsea always lacked was attacking flair and inspiration. Now that they miss players like Cech, Terry and to a lesser extent Boulahrouz and Carvalho their lack of creativity is all the more blatant. As luch as i like Chelsea, but this generation of Chelsea players will not be remembered as a big team like Tottenham at the beginning of the sixties, Liverpool in the 70's and Man Utd at the end of the 60's and the 90's...

Keith Gillespie as a fine player but an asshole ans so are his manager andthe assistant of Reading...and what's up with Reading's Hunt...he seems a claasy player at times but he also seems involved in quite a lot of incidents (Cech, Gillespie...).

Also a great match by Middlesborough agianst Bolton. It seems Bolton and Portsmouth have lost their momentum.

Evo-liam what about the off-side goal Newcastle scored against West Ham United...i kind of like Newcastle, buti really felt sorry for West Ham there...

It's strange to hear an outsider's view of the premiership at times. (assuming that you are probably french?)
For example the above comments on Hunt and Gillespie being 'fine' and 'classy'.
They are both pretty wank!!
(No offence to your comments mate, but it must come across very different to someone who maybe doesn't watch the premiership as often as most)

Yeah, that offside against us was an awful decision.... but hey, shit happens!!

Robbie Savage broke his leg tonight.

I don't care about all this wishing anything against another human being nonsense.. not this time.

I hope the cunt never plays again.

Last edited:
I never seen this thread before...good to see a thread for the middle table and down...looks like fulham is going to be fun to watch while the pret-ty... bub-bles are fading back to the relegated par now Anton DOESN`T wants a switch he should stay and be captain(did he make an album yet?)he said "I would never choose to back out of a relegation fight for West Ham" I love that attitude :8):

robbie savage is a cunt ...:D

Last edited:
It's strange to hear an outsider's view of the premiership at times. (assuming that you are probably french?)
For example the above comments on Hunt and Gillespie being 'fine' and 'classy'.
They are both pretty wank!!
(No offence to your comments mate, but it must come across very different to someone who maybe doesn't watch the premiership as often as most)

Yeah, that offside against us was an awful decision.... but hey, shit happens!!

Robbie Savage broke his leg tonight.

I don't care about all this wishing anything against another human being nonsense.. not this time.

I'm Belgian and i follow English football by watching Match of the Day...i guess you could be right about Hunt and Gillespie (although i remember Gillespie in his Newcastle period, then he certainly was a hell of a player...but then he got problems off the pitch).

The purpose of this thread precisely is to discuss other teams than the usual Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal...
There must be good players outside these teams and it would be fun to discuss other good players like Everton's Andy Johnson (unless i'm wrong again) or West Ham's Ashton...

He 's definitely a cunt but how can you wish that another player Can never play again??:shock:

ps @Gerd you 're right about A.Jhonson he 's fuck*ng good!!!sadly he twisted his ankle last sunday let's hope he won't be sidelined too long!!!

Last edited:
He 's definitely a cunt but how can you wish that another player Can never play again??:shock:

ps @Gerd you 're right about A.Jhonson he 's fuck*ng good!!!sadly he twisted his ankle last sunday let's hope he won't be sidelined too long!!!

Because of the things he does to professional players...he is a complete cunt.
What goes around comes around and I love it.

I would not wish this if he was struggling to pay a mortgage and was his only means of work etc.
But he is richer than all of us will ever ben and doesn't have to 'work' again...so it is purely football.

Truly despise the man.

I am about to do something I never thought I would do, defend Robbie Savage...

He does a job for the team and to my knowledge has only been sent off once in his career. The guy is a solid pro and I think Blackburn will struggle without him

Robbie Savage is a clever player, he's not dirty or a cheat, he is clever. Uses the rules to his advantage.

And when he got Gilberto sent off for Arsenal, that was fucking brilliant - good to see Arsenal get a taste of their own :)

Evo-liam what about the off-side goal Newcastle scored against West Ham United...i kind of like Newcastle, buti really felt sorry for West Ham there...

yea mate it works both ways to be honest , a week earlier spurs had a goal given that was offside jermain defoes opener , that cuda cost us too , byt because we went on to win the game in amazing fashion nothing is said about it , beacuse west ham are down at the bottom and they took only 1 point at st james the whole world is up at it , sometimes you get them , sometimes you dont , i felt on saturday westham shud end up feeling lucky they held on for a point after we hit the post twice and there keeper pulled of save of teh match in 89th min ;) but i have a feeling that if manchester united or chelsea hada of scored that goal there mite not of been so much controvasy . :eh:

Last edited:
Robbie Savage is a clever player, he's not dirty or a cheat, he is clever. Uses the rules to his advantage.

And when he got Gilberto sent off for Arsenal, that was fucking brilliant - good to see Arsenal get a taste of their own :)

so brilliant it worked against them :roll: he just prove 11 vs 10 is no match against Arsenal. Remember he got carded as well

Savage is a cheat.

You may see it as clever; as the fella above says... 'has been sent off once' (because he is indeed clever that he never gets caught) and I know where you are coming from.

Because he uses the 'rules to his advantage' does not make him right.
He knows what he is doing, the fans know and his fellow players know.
He has no integrity as a professional and is a fucking cheat.

(and yes, Blackburn will miss him as he is a fairly decent player....but is far besides the point)

Last edited:
I always had a soft spot for Fulham and i feel they should perhaps do better than they do. Their squad has changed a bit in recent seasons, but they have some good players imo. Just unlucky with injuries i guess, as that can hinder routine and progression. Jimmy Bullard's absence is certainly being missed and is Claus Jensen ever not injured?

Bolton - i think they've done very well in the last 5 years or so. They've surpassed some teams who ought to be in their place imo.

On the subject of goals, there have been some terrific ones this season. It's going to be tough choosing GOTS.

How about Boro's acquisition of Lee Dong Gook? I'm a big fan of him...but then again, I'm from Korea. I'm not too worried about him though--he's a very solid striker.

I always had a soft spot for Fulham and i feel they should perhaps do better than they do. Their squad has changed a bit in recent seasons, but they have some good players imo. Just unlucky with injuries i guess, as that can hinder routine and progression. Jimmy Bullard's absence is certainly being missed and is Claus Jensen ever not injured?

Bolton - i think they've done very well in the last 5 years or so. They've surpassed some teams who ought to be in their place imo.

On the subject of goals, there have been some terrific ones this season. It's going to be tough choosing GOTS.

i dont really think fulham have been unlucky with injurys considering newcastle have 11 first teamers out :roll:

any ways goal of the season will be tough , obafemi martins against spurs 84 mph is my vote atm , not beacuse i suport newcastle , beacuse it was simply the best goal . 2nd mathew taylor , 3rd theiry henry or james milner vs man united

My vote would go to the Martins goal as well. It's an overused word when it come to goals, but this one was truly unstoppable. I knew he could produce power in that left peg but that was almost an unbelievable hit. 84mph. :shock: :applause:

yes 84mph it was in my eyes a danger to the keeper lol , if he had of even attempted to try and save it , it wuda took his hand of , the ball was in the net and the keeper was bearly of the floor , an awsome strike from an angle wich is literally imposible to score in that fasion . :D

For me (and from what i've seen) Mathew Taykor's goal is defintely the goal of the season...
Sheffield United's goal against Arsenal was a peach too...

About Fulham, a player i'm really looking forward to is Clint Dempsey...and i think Montella could be awesome in the Premiership.

Evo-Liam....

Do you think that your club needs to seriously consider reviewing your physiotherapy and fitness team?
I know you have had shit luck mate, but I just fail to believe that picking up tweaks here and there is all down to that.

I'm not saying there is definately something wrong with your setup, just that it happens far too much at your club for there not to be some serious concern regarding your preperation for matches, training et al.

steevio_uk : the way the clubs run is totaly pathetic tbh , they shud clear everyone out including the chairman and start fresh with new coaches . beacuse the amount of injurys is just total unbelievable , but somewere our club just hassed to be cursed , we will never win a trophey , im hoping someday my kids will see them win something , there will always be a sellout on matchday i gaurentee ;) and thats why the chairman will never piss of beacuse the money hes making , he has failed to reply to 2 instrested partys that was looking to by the club , stupid tit no one likes him anyway

Hasn't there been an argument that the amount of injuries Newcastle players pick up can be explained by the clubs use of a plastic training pitch?

steevio_uk : the way the clubs run is totaly pathetic tbh , they shud clear everyone out including the chairman and start fresh with new coaches . beacuse the amount of injurys is just total unbelievable , but somewere our club just hassed to be cursed , we will never win a trophey , im hoping someday my kids will see them win something , there will always be a sellout on matchday i gaurentee ;) and thats why the chairman will never piss of beacuse the money hes making , he has failed to reply to 2 instrested partys that was looking to by the club , stupid tit no one likes him anyway

I think the setup is to blame somewhere along the line.
What goes on behind the scenes at your place is not too dissimilar to ours.

We have now got a new owner in that has made necassary staff changes and trying to get the club run properly again.
While Shepard and the bunch of clowns are still running your club there will still be a cancer that needs to be cut away..

Whether it's the tea lady, the physios, the management, the players etc.
Your place is riddled with egotistical idiots similar to us and we we have got rid of Pardew for a start and many players that think they are bigger than the club need to go next.

Otherwise you will find yourself back down the lower divisions getting 15k-20k fans like you used to and like most clubs would. (Including ourselves)
There is only so much fans can take and inevitably they will stop paying whilst the problems continue.

You lot have so much potential, but you need a new board who will get rid of that Rat Boy manager you have, sell the likes of Titus Bramble and the other 2nd rate players you have and bring in some actual quality.
(But i'm sure you don't need me to tell you all this :lol: ;) )

Back
Top Bottom