European Championship U-21 2006

C

ClericPreston

The Portugal Euro 2006 U-21 start´s today.

Group A

Portugal,France,Germany,Serbia and Montenegro

Matchday 1
Germany x Serbia Montenegro 23/05 18h15 Update: Full Time 1-0 (Polanski 60min)

Portugal x France 23/05 20h45 Update: Full Time 0-1 (B.Vale (Own Goal) 40min)

Matchday 2
France x Germany 25/05 18h15
Portugal x Serbia Montenegro 25/05 20h45

Matchday 3

Germany x Portugal 28/05 20h45
France x Serbia Montenegro 28/05 20h45

Group B

Ukraine,Netherlands,Italy,Denmark

Matchday 1
Ukraine x Netherlands 24/05 18h15 Update: Full Time 2-1 (Milevsky 39min,Fomin 51min;Luirink 90min)
Italy x Denmark 24/05 20h45 Update: Full Time 3-3 (Potenza 15min,Palladino 60min,Bianchi 90 min;Wurtz 21min,Kahlenberg 33min,Andreasen 40min)

Matchday 2
Denmark x Netherlands 26/05 18h15
Italy x Ukraine 26/05 20h45

Matchday 3

Netherlands x Italy 29/05 20h45
Denmark x Ukraine 29/05 20h45

Last edited by a moderator:
Portugal 0 x 1 France
First half is over.France was by far the better team.Portugal is playing extremlly bad.Quaresma is showing that Scolari was right by not taking him to World Cup.I hope the second half is better.

Group A

Portugal : 0
France : 1

Toulalan man of the game, incredible

1 - France 3 pts
2 - Germany 3 pts
3 - Serbia 0 pts
4 - Portugal 0 pts

ohh what a game france vs portugal!

briand and co took it hard to the portuguese!

cant wait to watch italy vs denmark!

i hope young oranje get better

Holland :1
Ukraine : 2

Italy : 3
Danemark : 3

France : 3
Germany : 0

Portugal : 0
Serbia : 2

Holland : 1
Danemark : 1

Italy : 1
Ukraine : 0

After 2 games

Group A :
1 - France 6 pts
2 - Serbia 3 pts
3 - Germany 3 pts
4 - Portugal 0 pts

Group B :
1 - Italy 4 pts
2 - Ukraine 3 pts
3 - Danemark 2 pts
4 - Holland 1 pt

Last edited:
Watched most of the Italy vs. Ukraine game today.

Was surprised Donadel was captain to be honest.

Bovo would've been my pick probably.

I've been very surprised of Gentile's lineup and in-game substitutions.. how come he didn't let Montolivo play? I think that if we had more fantasy in the midfield, we would win easier!!

Looking forward for Italy v. Holland.. Donadel has been booked yesterday, so he isn't going to play against Holland, so.. GO RICCARDO GO!!

Donadel played great, very determined player. I dont like Palladino, he reminds me of Zlatan!!!

Milevskiy of Ukraine is quite impressive, he also impressed in the under 17 world cup 2 yrs ago.

Milevskiy is going to world cup too.

Who you guys think will be captain with Donadel suspended now?

Like I said for me Cesare Bovo should maybe even be first choice captain. He's just a tall, older, more experienced player and at heart of defence can be an influential player especially as he does distribute the ball quite a lot too for a CB so he's in the flow of the game not just when defending and can take part in deadball situations too.

Not a player I really like all that much or admire (he's decent however) but at this level, I think he could be a good candidate for captain material. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
No unfortunitely I missed all the matches until today's but I've seen him enough times to know how quality he really is in Nantes days! 8)

France has great squad overall but when it comes to midfield area, France's squad looks absolutely SCARY!!! :mrgreen:

The names in there are just absolutely devastating! Capable of beating top senior European clubs and there's so much quality depth, some great players will actually have to sit on bench!!

Man the future looks bright... France just needs to find a natural good "Finisher-goal-scorer now" as they don't look to have one!

I know all of their forwards even at youth level very well but none are really the "Finisher" type! They're more the type who is a better "player than a finisher" and needs several chances to put a goal away.

Now of course at this level it doesn't matter much because Bergougnoux, Briand, Gouffran, Sinama Pongolle, Le Tallec will score some plus some goals from midfield will come but in general in future, a lack of real "Striker with great eye for goal" is only place I see France lacking!

A new David Trezeguet is what I can't see right now in future of France. There's lot of SS type forwards coming through or in the 'Piquoinne/Thierry Henry 'type/mould' but no real FINISHING striker (Trez material)! :| and that can be one of few places where France can be slightly concerned about for future but not for moment cuz as I said at this level, these players are good enough finishers to get the job done! 8)

But for future this should be a bit of concern. No sign of a Trezeguet type striker coming! :/

Last edited:
U forget Rudy Carlier PLF, he played in the Toulon tournament think he scored 2 or 3. Although offcourse i just know him from the game, so i really dont know if he could be future France NT material.

Holland is doing poor btw, somehow they cant start playing good football, and they are giving away goals by not operating the offside trap correctly.

Saw a bit of their game against Denmark today but not whole thing.

I didn't forget Carlier Big Boss, I just don't see him as a pure #9 because he's not what I had in mind and even though he may turn into a good finisher (he's not right now but he does have potential), he's not big and I kinda wanted somebody who can also be physical in the air and tall somewhat. (Trezeguet type)

Another reason I left him out of discussion was because I was mostly talking about the U21 forwarards which is why I left him out as well as Gigliotti, Benzema and some other French youngsters who are forwards without talking about them. :)

ThomasGOAL:

Portugal : 1 (João Moutinho)
Germany: 0

Group A :
1 - France 9 pts
2 - Serbia 3 pts
3 - Portugal 3 pts
4 - Germany 3 pts

:cry:

Holland : 1
Italy : 0

Ukraine : 2
Danemark : 1

Group B :
1 - Ukraine 5 pts
2 - Holland 4 pts
3 - Italy 4 pts
4 - Danemark 2 pts

Semi Finals :

France vs. Holland
Ukraine vs. Serbia

Hahhaa stupid Nick Hofs! :lol:

Gives France a gift in form of a FK in a promising position which our boy Bryan converts to take the game into ET.

STUPID NICK HOFS??!?!!! WHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Sorry PLF, but Holland truly deserved the win, they had more and better chances. Castelen really made it tough on the France defence. To be honest I expected a little bit more from France, but they played like cowards. What a intelligent goal by Huntelaar! Now win the whole thing!

Hehehe relax dude and before you start judging, take a look at the 'time' that message was posted.

I only called him stupid because it was his unprofessional and unnecessary handball which gave France a promising FK in a good position that they put away which made game go to extra time!! Had he not done that, Holland could've won it in regulation time. Plus another referee might have sent him off for that intentional handball but this one only gave yellow card so he was lucky too but his action on doing that particular thing was 'stupid' as I said.

My final opinions of game is actually written here and I congratulated Holland.

http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=724993&postcount=8479

Yes I know, I didnt take it as an insult on Hofs, but just found it a nice personal revenge to score such a great winner!:) I hope we face Ukraine, we have something to settle;-) Foppe sil it fier skoppe!!

let's talk a bit about the other semi-final today guys between S & M vs. Ukraine

Just like the other semi-final, I unfortunately didn't get to watch the first half but did watch most of the 2nd plus the ET and PK's of course!

It might have finished 0-0 but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Over the course of match or at least 2nd half that I did watch, S&M were the most likely side to score as they provided more shots on and off the target. This of course helped us once again see how talented the Ukraine #1 (who got subbed before PK's so they can bring their special PK saver :thumbup: ) is!

That goalie + the 2 CB's (Captain Iatsenko (sp?) and Chrgyifdsnifnidsfdsfui (sp?) ;) kidding but the name is long but the guy is COOL as iceman!! Very confident.. quality player!!! :thumbup:

But my fav player in Ukraine U21 team has to be Romanchuk!!

The baby-faced 19 year old left back is just the type of player I love watching! He's got immmmmmmmmmmmmmmense stamina!!!!!!!!! Ran his ass off in every match I've seen so far. Solid defensively and decent going forward too. No real weakness as he's tall enough, fast enough and strong enough and combined with his effort to give 110% each match, it makes him a real quality player and promising one for future!

Aartem Milevskyi (most technically talented and popular player in their team) of course had to be taken out in 1st half and that was a bit of blow as you could see Ukraine as solid as they are at the back, just don't have enough firepower to score lot of goals even with likes of Fomin and Aaliev in field who are their more flair players! So their best option probably was to keep defending solidly and hope to get a goal on counter-attack or in PK's and that's what they ended up doing! :)

Congrats to Ukraine and looking very much forward to the final!

Ukraine : 0
Serbia : 0

Ukraine win 5 - 4 on PK

Final : Holland vs Ukraine

PLF : the Serbian goalkeeper is the next gk of Nantes (you know the guy who kiss pots, ball etc..)

Yeah Stojkovic. Replacement of Landreau.

He's really religious. :p

He kisses both posts, the ball and his cross in his necklace after every save! :lol: even during open-play (not just PK's lol)

I hope De Zeeuw will be ready for the final. He's the most important player in the squad with Huntelaar.

Back
Top Bottom