Evo-Web Preliminary Handicaps
Dodieden - 0
Evolution Swede - 0
PSFrenzee - 4
Sarah - 6
Clock - 7
Dale - 12
JB - Unconfirmed

Ok, we've had a few technical problems and the previous thread has accidentally topped itself. So we start again!

I guess the first step is to see who is still interested in playing in the EvoWeb golf comps?

Secondly, I asked what people thought about handicaps - As it would just be us, it makes sense that every week every player has the same chance to win. As I mentioned, I don't want to come across as condescending, I just think it would be more enjoyable for all if it was a level playing field.

I didn't see the replies (if there were any) so if everyone can add their opinions in here, we can take it from there.

Last edited:
Re: Everybody's Golf online (Next comp: Wed 6th, 9pm)

I'm all up for making this more accessible so if the handicap system will generate more interest then why not do it. I played with som eother mates from the other forum on Saturday and we played with the EGWT handicap system on and it worked quite nicely.

Oh, and yes, I'm still interested, mate.

What exactly would the handicaps do?

And yeah, I'll be up for it probably, though I ain't played for ages.

I love our tournies on Wednesday evenings and adding handicaps seems perfectly logical to me. Lets test it out on this week.

I am also up for a evo-web league, the matches could be played at anytime and not necessarily on Wednesdays. The league should also be handicapped.

@ Sarah

The handicap system is designed to bring varying standards of players togther so they can compete on a level playing field. Not sure how it is worked out on EG, but in real life each golf player has a handicap which is made up of their average scores over a certain period of time. My dad for instance plays off a 17 handicap. This means that on average he will go around the golf course with a score of +17.

In matchplay if he has to play someone who plays with a handicap of 8 then my dad would get an extra shot to play with on 9 of the holes. Its 9 holes because the differences in their handicaps is 17-8=9. So on a Par 5 hole with an extra shot if he hit a par, he would actually score a birdie.

Like I say I am not sure how it works on EG, maybe PS_Frenzee could explain?

Last edited:

What exactly would the handicaps do?

Whatever your handicap is, that's how many strokes are wiped from your score at the end. It tries to reflect who played the best round respective of their skill level. In essence it means that if everyone played to the best of their abilities, the competition would be a dead heat. If your not a great player, but one week you play out of your skin, you're very likely to win the competition.

In Matchplay it works slightly differently, for certain holes you would be given a 'free' shot.

we played with the EGWT handicap system on and it worked quite nicely.

How did that work? Does the PS3 work out the handicap for you or did you do it amongst yourselves?

I love our tournies on Wednesday evenings and adding handicaps seems perfectly logical to me. Lets test it out on Wednesday.

I was going to work out our handicaps based on previous scores but as we've lost the thread, we'll have to go on other data. I was thinking maybe Wednesday can be a handicap setting round. (It wouldn't matter too much if you couldn't make it on Wednesday, but it would be to your advantage).

Thinking about it, maybe if we PM all players and ask for certain 'best scores' on certain courses (probably just 2) and also take the scores from Wednesday into account, then we can build the handicaps from that info - unless there is an easier way I have totally missed!?

That seems a great idea to PM everyone. I have a problem with my stats though as apparently my best round on Great Safari is -41!! :LOL:

Its probably only around -9 but I seriuosly do not know.

How about posting a picture of your stats as they stand right now?

How about posting a picture of your stats as they stand right now?

Yeh, that's actually a great idea. The course difficulties vary so wildly that we probably need to see how people have done on every course to get a proper idea what their handicap should be. Probably will take a while to get everyone's details though.

Who do we expect to be in?

Clock
Yana
PS Frenzee
Neil
Evolution Swede
Me
Wasn't there a Swiss guy too?
JB?
Billy Boy?
Cammey?
Monkey Jug?

Anyone else I have forgotten?

I'm afraid I don't really know how the handicapping works, I only know we played with it on coz after the first hole was played the scores were all over the place. I was last with level par and a couple of guys who bogeyed were above me on -2. I sat there scrathing my head for a while then realised that it said handicap system on at the room entry screen :D

I haven't got anywhere near as much time for gaming as I used to, but saying that, I would be able to join in on a quiet night, if it would be okay to just drop in during the middle of a "season". Don't want to make things awkward though.

As far as I'm concerned you'd be welcome if you want to pop into the room on a quiet night, mate, would be good to play with you again, hehe ;))

I was last with level par and a couple of guys who bogeyed were above me on -2. I sat there scrathing my head for a while then realised that it said handicap system on at the room entry screen :D

Hmmm.... sounds like some of them were filling in their own handicaps!!

I would be able to join in on a quiet night, if it would be okay to just drop in during the middle of a "season". Don't want to make things awkward though.

I think people who want serious competition as well can get it at PSL, but we'll keep the Evo-Web comp relaxed. And if we also get a matchplay league off the ground, I don't think we want to get too heavy on the timing. Sounds lame, but our main concern should be keeping this one fun.\\:o/

Spot on TB. Fun is the way forward.

Can you put your own handicap in? *rubs hands in anticipation* LOL!!!

Ok, well I count 4 of us (plus JB) as interested at the moment. No point getting too ahead of ourselves until a few others start showing up more regularly.

As for tomorrow, we can try a very rough version of handicapping for the tournie if everyone is happy?

Anyone have a preference for the course we play tomorrow?

Ok, I think we played Highland last week so shall we go for Okinawa tonight?

Also, before the round can everyone post their best ever Okinawa score here so I can work out some basic handicaps. Normal Tees are fine.

Mine is -16

Not sure what mine is, I think it's about -9 or something. I hate okinawa, for some reason I always play bad there. That's not to say that I'm not happy with playing it, coz I am, I need the practice, lol

Yep, no worries. Just need people to post prior to 21.00 so that everyone knows their handicap.

I think each person is responsible for entering their own handicap when they enter the game room (never tried it myself).

I am hoping my mate Damo can play... we will see. He has played before but I am not sure whether or not he has played a full 18 holes on Okinawa yet.

I was just about to post... "playing on a Tuesday?!?!" when I realized, that yet again, it is Wednesday. Fuck. And I shall be on tonight, I'll make Will remind me so I don't forget, I have a memory like a sieve.

Ok, for this to work I'm going to need everyone's scores in advance of us logging on.

Also Clock, you might need to tell people their handicaps if they haven't come on here first, because I'm slow as billy-o with the keypad thingy. I prefer to stick to "Yes, Nice Play!"

I'll put them all in the first post as they're done.

Back
Top Bottom