Overall Game of the Year:-

PS4 Game of the Year:-

Xbox Game of the Year:-

PC Game of the Year:-

Best Graphics:-

Best Story:-

Biggest Disappointment:-

Best Game no one Played:-

Thanks for putting this together as always, @bsmaff.

I'm going to struggle though - if the rules are "only exclusives" for PS4/Xbox - well, I haven't bought any this year... (Filling this in has made me realise I've barely bought and played anything this year, is it just me or has 2018 been a really disappointing year?)

Divinity: Original Sin II. A couple of years ago, I would have laughed in your face if you said I'd be playing this type of game (old-school non-first-person magic-and-dungeons-and-dragons-type stuff) - but the first one was absolutely amazing, and the second one is even better. Playing with a friend takes it to another level. It's the game I've clocked most hours on this year. (Note: It was released on PC last year, but only came to consoles this year!)

Didn't buy any exclusives...

Didn't buy any exclusives...

Football Manager 2019. It's the only game I played on PC but regardless, it's great - I'm more addicted than ever (especially with your graphics pack downloads @bsmaff).

PES 2019. Comparing this year's game to the others, it's a big leap forwards graphically. I'm sure there will be prettier games this year but I've not played them...

Divinity: Original Sin II. (Again.) It's all very Lord-of-the-Rings-slash-Harry-Potter but when you get into it, it's pretty compelling. Every character has their own origin story, their own allegiances, their own personality, their own adventure to go on. It's incredibly well-made.

Fallout 76. I've been a fan of Fallout for years - including the newer games that everyone else hates (compared to the isometric PC ones) - but I find it hard to comprehend how this game is as bad as it is. Runs like shit, boring to play, and now they're charging £20 for Santa outfits. Bethesda have become my least favourite dev.

AO International Tennis. This game is UNBELIEVABLE, if you loved PES back in the day for the gameplay (and how much player attributes moulded each player into a true individual). From a gameplay standpoint, it is no exaggeration to say I think this is the best sports game I've played in about ten years. It made me realise that how I feel about modern-day FIFA and PES not being as good as the old ones isn't "all in my head" - because attributes (and gameplay) just don't matter any more. But in this game, it does.

Just realised how less i play these days. As this year i only played Rocket League, PES 2019, Jurassic World Evolution and FFXV. Still trying to finis RE0 and start RE7, both in the backlog.
So not sure my list matters at all but its an easy one for sure.

PC Game of the Year: Jurassic World Evolution
Best Graphics: PES2019
Biggest Disappointment: 1. Shenmue. As its just a direct port, no enhancement whatsoever. 2. Playstation Classic. As it has very few games, my PC emulates better and has much more option to it, hell the PS2 and PS3 does a better job. Also the system could have potential but they just didnt care at all. Lazy cash grab both.

Overall Game of the Year: God of War

PS4 Game of the Year: God of War

Xbox Game of the Year: I don't own an Xbox

PC Game of the Year: I don't use a PC for gaming

Best Graphics: God of War

Best Story: God of War

Biggest Disappointment: Red Dead Redemption 2

Best Game no one Played: All 5 games I bought this year were fairly popular.

Overall Game of the Year: God of War

PS4 Game of the Year: God of War

Best Graphics: God of War

Best Story: God of War (you can tell how I loved every single second of it)

Biggest Disappointment: Tough choice between FO76 and BF5...but everybody pretty much expected BF5 to be disappointing, few, however, expected FO76 to be as much of a trainwreck as it is. So FO76 edges it.

Best Game no one Played: AO Tennis

Like most my game time isn't the greatest due to having a kid, and struggle to get free time.
I mainly still play PUBG when I get some free time and the most fun I had on a game this year was when I gave Overcooked a go - Such good fun, me and the Mrs loved it.
Not really sure what 2019 will bring but Last of Us 2 is released which will no doubt be game of the year.
2020 might be a better year, as rumours are the new Xbox and Playstation will both be released.

Red Dead Redemption - The best game this year I played, good story and fun to play
Although final few hours were a bit of a drag.

Sold my PS4 in Jan and didn't play anything - If this is anything other than Spiderman I will be surprised.

Although bought an Xbox mid year there isn't any exclusives I own or none which are very good

DayZ - I can now finally say it after being in Alpha since 1991
Football Manager 2019 - Improved over previous versions of the game, and the best yet.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Looks absolutely stunning in 4K on PC
Red Dead should get a mention though, as never seen anything better on console.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - After really enjoying the first two, what an absolutely disappointing experience this game was.
The story was poor, stupid and very non-existent.
Also tried to feature too much on given stunning visuals and adventure, rather than providing lots of action which the original two did so well.

Placebo's favourite topic - As how could it be a game if no one played it
Not really sure what to put here as not played any Indie titles this year.

Also probably should of added best Sports game.

Overall Game of the Year:- Red Dead Redemption 2.

PS4 Game of the Year:- N/A (haven't played any exclusives this year).

Xbox Game of the Year:- Vigor ;)

PC Game of the Year:- Assassin's Creed Odyssey (does this have to be an exclusive? Not sure I've played any PC exclusives this year).

Best Graphics:- Red Dead Redemption 2.

Best Story:- Red Dead Redemption 2.

Biggest Disappointment:- Far Cry 5 (crap story, crap gameplay elements, just a basically annoying game).

Best Game no one Played:- Ylands ;)

No Switch options?

Overall Game of the Year:- Dead Cells

PC Game of the Year:- Dead Cells

Best Graphics:- RDR2

Best Story:- RDR2

Not really sure what 2019 will bring but Last of Us 2 is released which will no doubt be game of the year
We might be surprised there.
Last of Us 2 will definetely be a huge hit, but there is a chance for Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima to be released in 2019. Both look savage.
Dayz is also heading to consoles..

so here is my list. i have an Xbox from a friend for 5 weeks now and played some FM7 and FH4 as these are the only titles i am interestd in on Xbox.

Overall Game of the Year: Red Dead Redemption 2

PS4 Game of the Year: Red Dead Redemption 2
just a beautiful world where i can sink in for hours... nothing more to say here! i LOVE this game!

Xbox Game of the Year: Forza Horizon 4
when i had to play the poor man's Forza on PS4... i knew there must be something better. and this is the best open world racer to date, imo. sometimes bringing back (glorious) Motorstorm feelings. ;)

PC Game of the Year: i dont play on PC

Best Graphics: PES 2019
RDR2 can't have it all! ;)
i watch every freaking stadium entrance. i watch a lot (99%) of all replays. and they do look stunning with the right weather and stadium choosen. some player look stunning too! i just can't get enough of beeing in replay mode and fiddle with the cam in super slow motion... when you are into soccer... it looks so damn nice!!!

Best Story: don't know for sure, so ill leave this one empty.

Biggest Disappointment: Fallout76
the old formula transfered into multiplayer open world. same engine. same bugs. it got me tired! maybe the titles before made me tired over the years... but this one was the final sleeping pill!

Best Game no one Played: i dont know, empty here

Last edited:
PES 2019 better looking than RDR2? :Y1
i just cant compare these 2 directly.
RDR2 has some awesome visuals and super duper weather system! agree 100%!
same time i like the PES 2019 gfx. for different reasons gfx wise. hard to discribe.

on paper: RDR2 is stunning, PES2019 is decent.
but: i like football a lot and i cant get enough of these entrance scenes, replays and such (crowd, lighting, sundown,...)... its just a personal preference of mine (and thats ask for here i guess)! :)

...i take that yellow card and play on! ;)

Overall Game of the Year:- God Of War

PS4 Game of the Year:- God Of War

PC Game of the Year:- FIFA 19

Best Graphics:- God Of War

Best Story:- God Of War

Biggest Disappointment:- PES 2019

Best Game no one Played:- Minesweeper on Android, just like being back on my dads old 386 PC.

My patience/time for games is limited these days. When I purchase I want, a good single player mode as I don't play online, one that has story, length and difficulty. Spider-man was good but too easy and repetitive, RDR2 for some reason I haven't played in a couple weeks. FIFA 19 with Krebs sliders is keeping my football fix sedated. Which basically leaves God of War or Batman Telltale. I do wan't to game more but I don't want to waste my time, and since I don't like zoombies , fps or war games there's not really much left over.

Overall Game of the Year: Marvel's Spider-Man

PS4 Game of the Year: Marvel's Spider-Man, this game blew me away. Is it perfect? No. Does it have garbage stealth sequences? Oh yes. But as pure entertainment, the swinging, the fight mechanics, just captures the feeling of being Spider-Man. Playing on hard, I had to manage shit, not to get killed all the time. Then, I still got killed all the time, but never put the difficulty down, instead I went through the same sequences over and over again until I got them right. Collected all the bags and took all the pictures. Looking forward to the DLC.

Xbox Game of the Year:

PC Game of the Year:

Best Graphics:Marvel's Spider-Man

Best Story: Marvel's Spider-Man but God of War likely to overtake eventually

Biggest Disappointment: First few hours of Red Dead 2, I will have to get back to you on the rest of it

Best Game no one Played: Horizon Chase Turbo

Back
Top Bottom