Evo-Web's speed using Opera and Firefox

Tom

Administratør
Staff
12 December 2001
Hamburg
Hey guys,

This goes out to everyone of you using Opera AND Firefox on your computer.

Several months ago, I noticed some sort of delay appearing when browsing these boards using Firefox. Clicking any posts or board area links results in a delay between ~5 and 10 seconds here until it finally takes me where I want to go and finishes loading.

First I thought it was down to one extension or something similar causing it, but unfortunately, it wasn't. I still get these delays using Firefox 2.0 and a new profile, so the version number shouldn't matter as it appears to be like this with any Firefox version.

Using Opera, though, everything's fine and speedy, so there's definitely a huge difference compared to Firefox. At least for me at work and at home, and that's why I created this thread:

I would like some more opinions on this. Do you face the same problems or am I the only one having them? Could some of you please do some testing? Do you notice any differences between those two browsers and Evo-Web?

Thanks for helping me (and us) out on this.

Tom

It seems to be fine on Firefox here; but there is a delay loading avatars (I usually just press "Stop" and read the thread).

No problems at all when I use Opera, its more or less on par speed-wise with IE when browsing these forums. But Firefox is well slow, I've used different versions (currently on 2.0) and its takes roughly the same period of time (5-10 secs) to load everything.

Even noticed (using Firefox) that when I look at forums that say, have a full page of threads, you can see the page loading in as you scroll down. I'm a member of a few other forums that use vBulletin as its forum software and experienced similar issues, so am wondering if it's a vB thing. :eh:

I have this problem with one or two sites in Firefox, nearly all of the page loads just fine, but maybe one or two images take a bit longer, so the loading bar stays at the bottom. If I right click where the image is supposed to be and click view, it loads fine.

This is mostly on Amazon.co.uk but it happens here on Evo-Web every now and then too (but it takes a much shorter period to load everything). Generally the site loads just as fast as in Internet Explorer though.

Last edited:
Just checked some things and for me it mainly seems to be the little images from the Amazon.co.uk links that are on the front page and at the top of the forum that take longest to load. It doesn't happen in Opera but it only takes an extra second or two so it's not that bad.

I think my Firefox just has a problem with Amazon.co.uk. :|

Last edited:
I checked as well with FF2 against Opera 9 and there's definitely no delay on FireFox. Weirdness.

Just a small update as I found the culprit: It was down to AdMuncher running in the background. Never thought that nifty application would let me down someday as I don't have any problems using it with Opera and tons of sites with FF. Been using it for two years, time to say goodbye then. Ablock Plus, here I am, everything's great now.

Back
Top Bottom