Evoweb Gameplay Lab, FIFA 20 (Frostbite FIFAs?)

Who said headers were nerfed in 20?

😝 my first cpu own goal in this game. I started to think I would never see one.
I had countless in 16 in comparison

PS: still awefull choppy recording with shadowplay while the game is super smooth. If anyone had similar problem, help is welcomed. I tried to roll back to NVIDIA drivers that were working perfectly but with no luck as you can see.

@Anth James - I played FIFA 20 using your gameplay mods with friends tonight (using a program called Parsec on PC - it lets you stream and allows others on PC to connect and play along as if you're in the same room - which isn't possible right now with Covid going on)!

We had a blast. Everybody was amazed, and said "wow, this plays so much better" and "is this FIFA 21?" So, bravo - you should be proud of what you've achieved with this!

Just a quick round-up of feedback for you, if you're interested - and if you're going to carry on editing!

As I mentioned before, I'm using the "Worldwide Football v4" mod, which adds a Road to Euro 2020 mode.

Playing as England against Kosovo, which should have been an easy win, we really struggled for a few reasons - largely that England's wingers were just constantly stood practically on the sideline, and in line with the AI defensive line. They would never come inside (even when changing their role instructions) - and I ended up changing the width sliders to try and force them in (which did help a little).

They were always as far wide as they could be, and as far forward, playing no part in build-up - which meant we just couldn't proceed up the pitch. EDIT: But actually I think this is because bad defenders are way too good positionally...!

All of that might not be fixable using edits - maybe extreme sliders are the only help here...

Also, literally 2/10 crosses were successfully executed (and I don't mean they found a man, I just mean they stayed in play) - and about 4/10 through-balls (with the rest, on manual, going wildly left/right of the inputted direction).

Finally - I think a big thing that would help separate better teams from worse ones are the variables I mentioned the other day, the "sprint speed" variables that are specifically split by "slow", "normal" and "fast" game speed in the Frostbite editor.

When I was trying to slow the game down (which you've done absolutely beautifully), these were the first values I played with - and they're powerful in terms of making it a real challenge depending on the level of your opponent. I think it's the most natural way of making the game harder.

I think, in the editor, they're in the gp_actor "folder", in the attributes "subfolder". (That's really vague because my PC is off now and I'm in bed!) They're easy to spot because they all have the speeds after them.

Something like... Sprintspeedminmaxfast - Sprintspeedminmaxnormal - Sprintspeedminmaxslow. If you widen the gap between the values, you make slower players much slower, and faster players much faster (to the point where you may see 8-0 scorelines - but the likes of Brazil v San Marino SHOULD be 8-0, so it's a really powerful tool)!

(There is also a set of "Staminafatigue" attributes somewhere, numbered from 0-10 which relates to their "stamina" attrobutes, and increasing them increases fatigue - and I LOVE them, I've increased each one by around 0.1 or so, and you end up with players who need substituting much more quickly!)

Anyway - hope all that helps. You're clearly very, very good at this stuff (you've achieved lots more than I ever could), so just wanted to write down all the above for you - and to thank you, again, for making the game 10x more playable!

Last edited:
@Anth James - I played FIFA 20 using your gameplay mods with friends tonight (using a program called Parsec on PC - it lets you stream and allows others on PC to connect and play along as if you're in the same room - which isn't possible right now with Covid going on)!

We had a blast. Everybody was amazed, and said "wow, this plays so much better" and "is this FIFA 21?" So, bravo - you should be proud of what you've achieved with this!

Just a quick round-up of feedback for you, if you're interested - and if you're going to carry on editing!

As I mentioned before, I'm using the "Worldwide Football v4" mod, which adds a Road to Euro 2020 mode.

Playing as England against Kosovo, which should have been an easy win, we really struggled for a few reasons - largely that England's wingers were just constantly stood practically on the sideline, and in line with the AI defensive line. They would never come inside (even when changing their role instructions) - and I ended up changing the width sliders to try and force them in (which did help a little).

They were always as far wide as they could be, and as far forward, playing no part in build-up - which meant we just couldn't proceed up the pitch. They were completely stupid and completely useless - but this might not be because of your edits (or even fixable using edits), maybe extreme sliders are the only help here...

Also, literally 2/10 crosses were successfully executed (and I don't mean they found a man, I just mean they stayed in play) - and about 4/10 through-balls (with the rest, on manual, going wildly left/right of the inputted direction).

Finally - I think a big thing that would help separate better teams from worse ones are the variables I mentioned the other day, the "sprint speed" variables that are specifically split by "slow", "normal" and "fast" game speed in the Frostbite editor.

When I was trying to slow the game down (which you've done absolutely beautifully), these were the first values I played with - and they're powerful in terms of making it a real challenge depending on the level of your opponent. I think it's the most natural way of making the game harder.

I think, in the editor, they're in the gp_actor "folder", in the attributes "subfolder". (That's really vague because my PC is off now and I'm in bed!) They're easy to spot because they all have the speeds after them.

Something like... Sprintspeedminmaxfast - Sprintspeedminmaxnormal - Sprintspeedminmaxslow. If you widen the gap between the values, you make slower players much slower, and faster players much faster (to the point where you may see 8-0 scorelines - but the likes of Brazil v San Marino SHOULD be 8-0, so it's a really powerful tool)!

(There is also a set of "Staminafatigue" attributes somewhere, numbered from 0-10 which relates to their "stamina" attrobutes, and increasing them increases fatigue - and I LOVE them, I've increased each one by around 0.1 or so, and you end up with players who need substituting much more quickly!)

Anyway - hope all that helps. You're clearly very, very good at this stuff (you've achieved lots more than I ever could), so just wanted to write down all the above for you - and to thank you, again, for making the game 10x more playable!
Thanks man, really appreciate that. I think I've probably just had too much time on my hands lately with lockdown haha! Great to hear detailed feedback like this. Crosses I think I can fix quite easily, I don't think I'm naturally a huge crosser of the ball so I haven't used it all that often, but I can lower the error specifically on crosses to impact this.

I'll definitely take a look at those speed folders, sounds very interesting, and as though it'll make quite a difference.

I'm not sure exactly sure with the wingers not being involved. Could it be a formation thing? I haven't really noticed this in my games, I play with Arsenal a lot and I usually find my wide players coming back in for the buildup. However, I have found something tonight which may impact it -I need to test further to make sure but in the last hour or so in the 'look at behaviors', the file 'MaxTimeNotToLookAtBallInGeneral' seems to impact how involved players are in the game. I've been watching more for defensive side, but I'll try and see if I notice a change on the attacking side too. So I halved the values and it resulted in players taking an active approach to the ball. The whole 'one person marking' thing I was talking about with @papinho81 seemed to change. It made it very difficult to play the ball out of danger - possibly too much so. Looking to see what the best value is, but I was pretty surprised at how it engaged the midfield towards the ball quite a lot and it also brought a second defender across to mark the ball at times.
Edit: Need to keep testing to confirm, possibly got ahead of myself with this!
I think I was wrong! I'll come back to you on the lookatball value.

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly sure with the wingers not being involved. Could it be a formation thing? I haven't really noticed this in my games, I play with Arsenal a lot and I usually find my wide players coming back in for the buildup. However, I have found something tonight which may impact it -I need to test further to make sure but in the last hour or so in the 'look at behaviors', the file 'MaxTimeNotToLookAtBallInGeneral' seems to impact how involved players are in the game. I've been watching more for defensive side, but I'll try and see if I notice a change on the attacking side too. So I halved the values and it resulted in players taking an active approach to the ball. The whole 'one person marking' thing I was talking about with @papinho81 seemed to change. It made it very difficult to play the ball out of danger - possibly too much so. Looking to see what the best value is, but I was pretty surprised at how it engaged the midfield towards the ball quite a lot and it also brought a second defender across to mark the ball at times.
Edit: Need to keep testing to confirm, possibly got ahead of myself with this!
I'm wondering if the problem is more about the defenders than the wingers actually - watching Arsenal's match today, their wingers do stay incredibly wide, but A) they move forwards with the play rather than just standing next to the wing-backs, and B) possibly most importantly, the defence is always much much more compact in real-life. Could it be that the wing-backs are locked into "1v1 defending" mode and rather than e.g. the opposite wing's defender tucking in to provide support, they're just man-marking constantly?

I'm wondering if the problem is more about the defenders than the wingers actually - watching Arsenal's match today, their wingers do stay incredibly wide, but A) they move forwards with the play rather than just standing next to the wing-backs, and B) possibly most importantly, the defence is always much much more compact in real-life. Could it be that the wing-backs are locked into "1v1 defending" mode and rather than e.g. the opposite wing's defender tucking in to provide support, they're just man-marking constantly?
Possibly could be yeah. When you activate the tactic 'ball side overload' on the Dpad I think the shape looks much more realistic in terms of compactness. They move much closer to the side of the ball. The problem is EA made this drain players stamina terribly for some reason and I'm not sure how to fix that particular issue.

There is definitely a marking issue. Like @Anth said the game is designed to have every player marking one man and it often has higher priority than adjusting to the ball or to the rest of the dline. This makes fb being positioned too far from the CBs in several instances. But this should only be the case when the team has not the ball. The positioning mentality completely changes when the team has, doesn't has the ball (example cbs stays at the midfield line when on possession, they cross the line to man mark as soon as the ball is lost) and the players for the team with the ball marking is not the priority anymore.

There is a couple of things that can be looked.

In position formation there is a file for the length and width modifier for when the team defends and another one for when the team attacks.

In positioning the positioning_positioning file, may be the tactic vs marking weight at the bottom can do something in that regard (by changing the importance of marking for fbs?)

The rundistfromformation and more specifically the x one controls principally offensive players (not only) vertical distance allowed from their reference spot (the tactic). There is a z equivalent file that does the same along the length of the pitch.
I have spent some time on those and I haven't been able to properly "break" them yet. The thing that really prevents me from making significant progress with those (edits do change things, increased Y=more movement, but I feel I have a poor control on what is going on) is the meaning of those 8 points, what do they refers to? Location on the pitch? Distance of the ball? Players position? ....?

Last edited:
There is definitely a marking issue. Like @Anth said the game is designed to have every player marking one man and it often has higher priority than adjusting to the ball or to the rest of the dline. This makes fb being positioned too far from the CBs in several instances. But this should only be the case when the team has not the ball. The positioning mentality completely changes when the team has, doesn't has the ball (example cbs stays at the midfield line when on possession, they cross the line to man mark as soon as the ball is lost) and the players for the team with the ball marking is not the priority anymore.

There is a couple of things that can be looked.

In position formation there is a file for the length and width modifier for when the team defends and another one for when the team attacks.

In positioning the positioning_positioning file, may be the tactic vs marking weight at the bottom can do something in that regard (by changing the importance of marking for fbs?)

The rundistfromformation and more specifically the x one controls principally offensive players (not only) vertical distance allowed from their reference spot (the tactic). There is a z equivalent file that does the same along the length of the pitch.
I have spent some time on those and I haven't been able to properly "break" them yet. The thing that really prevents me from making significant progress with those (edits do change things, increased Y=more movement, but I feel I have a poor control on what is going on) is the meaning of those 7 points, what do they refers to? Location on the pitch? Distance of the ball? Players position? ....?
Good points here. I had the same thought today to adjust the width/length modifier for defensive positioning - I think this could be quite effective, definitely worth a go to see. I haven't really noticed a major issue with fullbacks marking too wide and not staying tucked in though. I feel like they generally have been coming relatively narrow and same with attackers, but that's not to say it isn't there. In general, teams could be much more compact defensively like @Chris Davies said.

I really wish there was a way to get the 'ball side overload' tactic implemented for 1) the AI to use it 2) for it not to drain stamina. The advantage of this tactic is that it doesn't just impact the fullbacks, it makes the whole team compact. Hopefully the length/width modifier could do the trick! I'm just about all tested out for the moment though hahaha.

Good points here. I had the same thought today to adjust the width/length modifier for defensive positioning - I think this could be quite effective, definitely worth a go to see. I haven't really noticed a major issue with fullbacks marking too wide and not staying tucked in though. I feel like they generally have been coming relatively narrow and same with attackers, but that's not to say it isn't there. In general, teams could be much more compact defensively like @Chris Davies said.

I really wish there was a way to get the 'ball side overload' tactic implemented for 1) the AI to use it 2) for it not to drain stamina. The advantage of this tactic is that it doesn't just impact the fullbacks, it makes the whole team compact. Hopefully the length/width modifier could do the trick! I'm just about all tested out for the moment though hahaha.

Sorry I should have made it clear, I meant with the default game.

@papinho81 I tested those defensive length and width modifiers. They definitely work, just figuring out what is best will be key. Default is 1, I test 10 (space everywhere) and 0.01 (sitting on top of each other pretty much). They went back to their shape when they won the ball so good to know it's strictly without the ball..

It's quite sensitive, 0.8 and they were still pretty much sitting on each other. 0.95 (with my mod so sliders will impact it too, but for reference points I'll leave them) and it's quite good actually, looking for the sweet spot, but my guess is it'll be somewhere in 0.90 - 0.99 for us. Anything else is extreme. It pretty much feels like the ballside overload tactic is enabled, but length isn't quite right though, still seems like a bit too much space..

Edit: 0.75 for length and 0.93 for width I gave a very quick try and visually seemed not bad! Didn’t play for long though, so not sure how it’ll play. I suspect these line changes will impact gameplay quite a bit. Will have to make sure it’s for the better!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the emotionengine impacts career mode AI? I can only imagine it does. I have previously reduced all values in 'team' to 0 as I'm quite certain this impacts scripting too, but I finally started a career mode and I just feel the AI is a little different. Teams seem a little more erratic, you find yourself left open more, the AI seems a little more direct or something, smaller teams playing out of their skin. Something is different.

Does anyone know if the emotionengine impacts career mode AI? I can only imagine it does. I have previously reduced all values in 'team' to 0 as I'm quite certain this impacts scripting too, but I finally started a career mode and I just feel the AI is a little different. Teams seem a little more erratic, you find yourself left open more, the AI seems a little more direct or something, smaller teams playing out of their skin. Something is different.

I didn't have the opportunity to start a CM yet so no idea sorry.

Here is the gameplay mod I have been playing this last two days alterning with @Anth James one:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yqwxiojh15tovk8/Pap_Gameplay.rar/file

It has the jokey mod, the bad offisde mod, plus a ball physic mod (that includes also a little movement change can't get the name now but it helps to slow down animations. It is this variable set to 6 instead of the default 2 https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/evoweb-gameplay-lab-fifa-20-frostbite-fifas.82886/post-3538214) and a position mod (the change I was talking with @Anth James a day or two ago https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/evoweb-gameplay-lab-fifa-20-frostbite-fifas.82886/post-3563935).

What I like about: The slow pace even on normal speed The AI build up, they are not going forward forward and instead reset quite nicely. Physicality even if fouls number could be higher. The defending is rewarding and not frustrating (at least for me :) ), secondary press is usefull and requires thinking. I highly recommend using the secondary player arrow displayed. CPU defending is quite solid too.

I recommend playing this with a default locale, 10 mins halfs, normal speed, default sliders and the Pro cam (I am just kidding! we might just be a handful of weirdos playing like this).

The fmod files are from a different game version from the last one, but in my experience it should not be a problem, as those files have not been altered between past updates.

NOTE: This is certainly not a polished mod like the one released by @Anth James who spent a lot of time tuning many aspects of the game. This one is more a, oh this one feels nice, let's see how it goes with this one and consolidated mods by the community.

Last edited:
Here is the gameplay mod I have been playing this last two days alterning with @Anth James one:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yqwxiojh15tovk8/Pap_Gameplay.rar/file

It has the jokey mod, the bad offisde mod, plus a ball physic mod (that includes also a little movement change can't get the name now but it helps to slow down animations) and a postion mod (the change I was talking with @Anth James a day or two ago).

What I like about: The slow pace even on normal speed The AI build up, they are not going forward forward and instead reset quite nicely. Physicality even if fouls number could be higher. The defending is rewarding and not frustrating (at least for me :) ), secondary press is usefull and requires thinking. I highly recommand using the secondary player arrow displayed. CPU defending is quite solid too.

I recommand playing this with a default locale, 10 mins halfs, normal speed.
Awesome man, looking forward to trying. Which position change is this one? Did you crack the defensive baseline?!

Not really I hadn't much time to test anything lately, I am running out of time for almost everything...

It is this one: https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/evoweb-gameplay-lab-fifa-20-frostbite-fifas.82886/post-3563935
The slow down of animations fix sounds great. Slowing the game a little further I think will help lots. I tried @Rafter84 acceleration suggestions and I quite liked its results at 49 for cpu and 48 for user. Definitely does get rid of that ‘skate’ feeling.

I've turned off the emotion engine completely in this mod as I feel it really impacts the Career Mode AI boosts. Games were just feeling odd in CM and not the same as kick-off. I thought I had already turned the script off in the gp_team files (all set to 0). Since turning all values to 0 in the emotion engine (combined with the gp_team files all set to 0) games have felt much more 'normal' like in kick-off mode. They don't seem to have these weird and annoying elements to them anymore. For example I played Burnley before implementing this mod and they got 17 shots off against me and were just way too good (something which I didn't experience at all when playing lower rated teams in kick-off mode). After applying the mod, they managed very few shots and I dominated the game as I should and won the game 2-1. They still had chances, but it just felt like it should.

I was a little worried turning it off might result in some other negative behaviour, like the AI having 'no personality', but I haven't experienced this yet. I played Liverpool in the following game and they dominated, so it's not nullifying the AI at all.
Feel free to add it into your CM and see how you find it. If you notice anything negative from it let me know. Hope this helps!

Emotion Engine Off - https://mega.nz/file/kI9glCqR#9q0NimaS9yTzI4Pq7RIPBdD3RHqpEZcWaSVfZkZSKxU

If you're not using this with my Sim mod then also apply this No Script mod as well - https://mega.nz/file/gd00nIyb#Wtn4F580hYkvdIWh5YAxaSovb3Qwetj8RXIjduI2N4Q

Last edited:
I've turned off the emotion engine completely in this mod as I feel it really impacts the Career Mode AI boosts. Games were just feeling odd in CM and not the same as kick-off. I thought I had already turned the script off in the gp_team files (all set to 0). Since turning all values to 0 in the emotion engine (combined with the gp_team files all set to 0) games have felt much more 'normal' like in kick-off mode. They don't seem to have these weird and annoying elements to them anymore. For example I played Burnley before implementing this mod and they got 17 shots off against me and were just way too good (something which I didn't experience at all when playing lower rated teams in kick-off mode). After applying the mod, they managed very few shots and I dominated the game as I should and won the game 2-1. They still had chances, but it just felt like it should.

I was a little worried turning it off might result in some other negative behaviour, like the AI having 'no personality', but I haven't experienced this yet. I played Liverpool in the following game and they dominated, so it's not nullifying the AI at all.
Feel free to add it into your CM and see how you find it. If you notice anything negative from it let me know. Hope this helps!

Edit: I still need to look into ‘match intensity’ which I came across somewhere. I’m not entirely sure what this does but I feel it would impact this also.

Emotion Engine Off - https://mega.nz/file/kI9glCqR#9q0NimaS9yTzI4Pq7RIPBdD3RHqpEZcWaSVfZkZSKxU

If you're not using this with my Sim mod then also apply this No Script mod as well - https://mega.nz/file/gd00nIyb#Wtn4F580hYkvdIWh5YAxaSovb3Qwetj8RXIjduI2N4Q

Wow, if you managed to eliminate the scripting, that's a biggie!

The match intensity table in the db is supposed to control the rubber band difficulty and the ends of halfs drama.
In 16 I just filled the table with 0 and I think it worked like expected.

There is also tenant of another theory concerning the meaning of this file. They think it only affects crowd reaction intensity. They base their theory on the location of the table in the db, between crowd related things.

Wow, if you managed to eliminate the scripting, that's a biggie!

The match intensity table in the db is supposed to control the rubber band difficulty and the ends of half drama.
In 16 I just filled the table with 0 and I think it worked like expected.

There is also tenant of another theory concerning the meaning of this file. They think it only affects crowd reaction intensity. They base their theory on the location of the table in the db, between crowd related things.
You read my mind haha, I was just typing a post with this! That makes complete sense. I haven't even tried it yet, but match Intensity turned off is here -

Match Intensity Off- https://mega.nz/file/pV80HYwI#CYtctLLiSlh3BSJewe_zsku5SQOcPCZ6JMuNO9DVMSc

Last edited:
@papinho81 I'm sure some of these ideas (match intensity, emotion engine etc) could have some positive effects if used right, but I feel the way they're implemented in modern games they end up just adding a layer of complexity that takes away from the games being organic. Let us worry about the intensity of each match, don't fabricate it haha

@papinho81 I'm sure some of these ideas (match intensity, emotion engine etc) could have some positive effects if used right, but I feel the way they're implemented in modern games they end up just adding a layer of complexity that takes away from the games being organic. Let us worry about the intensity of each match, don't fabricate it haha

Yeah, I really hate that when you play the like of Bayern, they are 2 goals up in the first 15mins then they stop playing and let you come back to only score an OP goal by the end of the game. Let them destroy me if I am dumb enough to not adjust my tactic in order to stop the hemorrhage.

About the emotion, it could be a good thing if fine tuned, but honestly their is more important things to care before that. I think those emotions are really what makes big names under-perform and small team over perform. So that's a good thing that you manage to erase that.
Also many people have complained about how the game turned to be too easy once your team is in good form. Probably erased! Great!

If it actually does that, I know another game for which people would pay you with gold, straight away, in order to eliminate those game mechanics.

Yeah, I really hate that when you play the like of Bayern, they are 2 goals up in the first 15mins then they stop playing and let you come back to only score an OP goal by the end of the game. Let them destroy me if I am dumb enough to not adjust my tactic in order to stop the hemorrhage.

About the emotion, it could be a good thing if fine tuned, but honestly their is more important things to care before that. I think those emotions are really what makes big names under-perform and small team over perform. So that's a good thing that you manage to erase that.
Also many people have complained about how the game turned to be too easy once your team is in good form. Probably erased! Great!

If it actually does that, I know another game for which people would pay you with gold, straight away, in order to eliminate those game mechanics.
100% agree. I also made an attempt by halving the entire emotion engine (which took way too long!) It was an improvement but not enough. Off seems better.

Haha oh man if you could do it in the other game it would be gold. You can barely move after the 85th minute in that haha

100% agree. I also made an attempt by halving the entire emotion engine (which took way too long!) It was an improvement but not enough. Off seems better.

Haha oh man if you could do it in the other game it would be gold. You can barely move after the 85th minute in that haha

So what did you do? You "just" (100s?) changed all the values to 0 in all files?

My man, I hate the way Career Mode ( actually typed Master League to begin with) gets crap around November when your team just stops playing completely. The last one I tried with Tottenham, players stopped being able to pass, tackle and shot. Kane went from a normal scoring return to a complete drought (which wouldn't necessarily be an issue, if he suddenly wasn't putting shots in Row Z from 5 yards for no reason.) It's cause of this I've never actually completed a season in Fifa.

My man, I hate the way Career Mode ( actually typed Master League to begin with) gets crap around November when your team just stops playing completely. The last one I tried with Tottenham, players stopped being able to pass, tackle and shot. Kane went from a normal scoring return to a complete drought (which wouldn't necessarily be an issue, if he suddenly wasn't putting shots in Row Z from 5 yards for no reason.) It's cause of this I've never actually completed a season in Fifa.
Haha so frustrating! Yeah try the no script mod, the emotion engine off mod and the match intensity mod and see how it goes! Let me know if it works, I’m hopeful there’s nothing else hidden somewhere haha

Haha so frustrating! Yeah try the no script mod, the emotion engine off mod and the match intensity mod and see how it goes! Let me know if it works, I’m hopeful there’s nothing else hidden somewhere haha

I've got the three Sim Mod files, Pressing, Emotion off and Intensity off. Do I need the no script as well?

Back
Top Bottom