F1 2018

AI is really dump and just follow a racing line, therefore keep crashing into the side of your car when overtaking, apart from that it is enjoyable once you find a skill level to match your own skill.
Urgh, I was hoping they'd have patched this by now. It's what's holding me back from buying it.

Urgh, I was hoping they'd have patched this by now. It's what's holding me back from buying it.

I will post a video online later tonight to show what I mean, but it has happened in nearly every race so far.
You go up the inside to overtake brake a little later than normal and the CPU just smacks into the side of you.

It's easily the best F1 game to date. Better physics and force feedback this year. Not on par with Rfactor, Assetto Corsa and Raceroom but good enough to be driven on my sim rig. I'm half way through a season and not had any issues with the AI that have been reported in here. In fact, the AI is very impressive this year and don't back off like in previous Codemasters games. They also do a good job staying out of the way during blue flags etc... I don't play career mode as I'm not a fan of the RPG cutscenes and press interview crap, but thoroughly enjoying Championship mode.

Updated the title as no need for a new thread.

Probably the only person to have purchased the game.

But initial impressions are the gameplay hasn't changed much, however the graphics on the PC version in 4K have improved.

AI is really dump and just follow a racing line, therefore keep crashing into the side of your car when overtaking, apart from that it is enjoyable once you find a skill level to match your own skill.
Played the crap out of F1 2017,and i saw that F1 2018 is on a 70% sale on Xbox right now so I'm getting it.
Haven't played in a month or so ,right now I'm rubbish,hardly made it around The Melbourne track
Not really used to the wheel(anymore) ,but its no fun with a controller

I'm considering getting F1 2019 (for PS4, so modding not an option) and am wondering if anyone here has played it a lot and can comment on the AI, as I'd be offline racing only.

I've been playing the demo and whilst it's quite enjoyable, and I can see the AI apparently racing each other to some degree, with occasional overtakes, I'm concerned that they can race perfectly side-by-side for entire laps, without there ever being any real errors, spins, going off track or contact with other cars or walls. And the amount of overtaking was pretty minimal.

I also noticed that the only AI DNF was Perez having a mechanical failure but it recurs at the same section of the track, on the same lap, every time I've raced the demo track (Melbourne) - ie. it seems to be a scripted mechanical failure that will always recur at the same time, same place.

I haven't yet seen a single other AI DNF, error, crash or failure - it seems to be essentially a procession of near perfection with a few token overtakes. And looking at the respective laps times of AI drivers after a race, it seems to bear out that none of them make mistakes - just consistent lap times every lap, but with gradual slowdown caused by tyre wear, then picking up again after tyre change at pit stops.

So, in the full game, do the AI make any serious errors on a regular basis? By errors, I mean noticeable mistakes that result in them losing anything from a few seconds / damage requiring pit stops to repair / race-ending crashes, such as misjudging a corner and going off, spinning, crashing into walls or other AI cars. I'm not talking about contact with the human player's car, just how the AI interact with other AI cars and how they behave when the human's car is not involved.

I'm not expecting dozens of errors by half of the field every race but there needs to be at least a few serious mistakes thrown in often enough for it to feel like it's more than a bunch of robots that I'm racing against with a few predetermined/scripted mechanical failures to give a false impression of AI vulnerability.

Also, are the AI times in the wet realistic and balanced? I noticed from the patch notes that one of the patches is supposed to address this so it was obviously an issue on release. Has the patch resolved it satisfactorily?

So, in the full game,
do the AI make any serious errors on a regular basis? By errors, I mean noticeable mistakes that result in them losing anything from a few seconds / damage requiring pit stops to repair / race-ending crashes, such as misjudging a corner and going off, spinning, crashing into walls or other AI cars. I'm not talking about contact with the human player's car, just how the AI interact with other AI cars and how they behave when the human's car is not involved.

I'm not expecting dozens of errors by half of the field every race but there needs to be at least a few serious mistakes thrown in often enough for it to feel like it's more than a bunch of robots that I'm racing against with a few predetermined/scripted mechanical failures to give a false impression of AI vulnerability.

Also, are the AI times in the wet realistic and balanced? I noticed from the patch notes that one of the patches is supposed to address this so it was obviously an issue on release. Has the patch resolved it satisfactorily?

Never noticed the AI ever crashing into each other and causing race ending collisions, but only had about 10-20 races.
The reason I hate it, is the AI is so incredibly crap.
They drive into you all the time, they follow a very specific racing line and if you ever go onto their racing line during an overtake, instead of moving and avoiding you, they will just shunt you, and this causes a spin for you 9 times out of 10, whilst they drive away scott free.

Unfortunately this was the game breaker for me and tried it after a few patches, but personally I wouldn't touch this game unless you really really really really really really really really wanted an F1 game.

they will just shunt you, and this causes a spin for you 9 times out of 10, whilst they drive away scott free.

Thanks. That answers another question that I had meant to ask - I recall this from the last Codemasters F1 game I bought about 8-9 years ago - when you crash into the AI, you spin/get damage, they drive on as if nothing happened. When the AI crash into you, you spin/get damage, they drive on as if nothing happened. Sounds like nothing has changed here.

The same game-breaking bias in favour of the AI that Konami ruin PES with.

I'll just stick with the demo for an occasional F1 fix.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
has this changed with any updates/mods?

also, how long is online functionality expected to last [F1 2019]?

[I used to watch a lot of F1 in the Damon Hill/Coulthard days but then just drifted and eventually got addicted to PES MyClub]

Back
Top Bottom