Fallout 76 (PS4/XBO)

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Been really looking forward to this - then saw Bethesda, the company that produces the buggiest games in existence, have posted this on Twitter:

Ominous as hell - and then you've got some screenshots of the game running in 4K:

Pretty scary.

I'll be jumping on the beta at midnight tonight (Xbox One) - anybody else going to be there?

• Staff
I am basically just in here to be a dick.
Not really though, hope it works out and you have a great experience.
:D

I'm a huge Fallout fan, both the original PC games and the console versions (Fallout 3 being the pinnacle). Been looking forward to an online Fallout adventure I can share with friends (i.e. @jaygrim) for years and years.

However, the fact that Bethesda are A) pre-warning people B) when they're known for making buggy games C) about a BETA (which is supposed to be buggy anyway)... This just screams 5fps gameplay and characters/missions disappearing.

Pretty nervous.

Used to be a big Fallout fan but the last one didn't impress me in the least and I barely played it. Bethesda just feels so far behind these days with their games.

And then with Fallout 76... I just don't get it. If people rave about it I might give it a try at some point but there's just so many excellent games out now or right on the horizon that it's just not an appealing time sink for me.

Love Fallout but it's the characters you meet and stories they tell that make their worlds interesting, to not have NPCs in the game means it's not Fallout to me, shame because Fallout 5 with coop so I could play it with the wife would have been awesome.

• Staff
Love Fallout but it's the characters you meet and stories they tell that make their worlds interesting, to not have NPCs in the game means it's not Fallout to me, shame because Fallout 5 with coop so I could play it with the wife would have been awesome.
Yeah I found that decision a strange one. Maybe they've looked at Elder Scrolls Online and decided to "learn a few lessons" from that (i.e. it looks silly when you've got an NPC telling you you're the only one who can save the town, then telling the next person - of a crowd of 100 - they're the only one who can save the town) - but the alternative (i.e. missions given by pieces of paper) is worse, IMO.

Love Fallout but wasn't hyped for this game at all. The concept just didn't appeal to me and no human NPCs sort of confirmed my position on that. As Chris said, when a company known for buggy games explicitly warns there are going to be bugs, it doesn't sound promising. Still, appreciate the honesty!

• Staff
Played it a couple of times now and it absolutely kills me to say it (it's my favourite game series of all-time) but... I've cancelled my pre-order.

In a multiplayer game where you're expecting at least a little bit of action, having to read 100 pages of text (and this is mission #1) just to understand what's happening, is an absolute immersion-killing boring ballache.

With RDR2 launching last week, it shows just how poor it is. One is a beautifully polished game that knows how to tell a story, the other a "pick up all the trash you can" simulator with a Bible's-worth of text to read (to replace actual storytelling).

I think Fallout 4 (which was already my least favourite of all) will be my last Fallout.

Played it a couple of times now and it absolutely kills me to say it (it's my favourite game series of all-time) but... I've cancelled my pre-order.

In a multiplayer game where you're expecting at least a little bit of action, having to read 100 pages of text (and this is mission #1) just to understand what's happening, is an absolute immersion-killing boring ballache.

With RDR2 launching last week, it shows just how poor it is. One is a beautifully polished game that knows how to tell a story, the other a "pick up all the trash you can" simulator with a Bible's-worth of text to read (to replace actual storytelling).

I think Fallout 4 (which was already my least favourite of all) will be my last Fallout.
I’m with you. I love fallout, 4 was my least favourite but I still loved it.

FO3 is my fave. There’s so much to do and see, plus the atmosphere and story telling is immersive.

Fallout 76 is turgid stuff though...really bad.

Saying all that Bethesda have been left behind from a technical standpoint I feel. Their games look and feel dated now compared to other modern day titles.

Saying all that Bethesda have been left behind from a technical standpoint I feel. Their games look and feel dated now compared to other modern day titles.
100% agree and it's such a shame. Their engine has never been great, but they seem determined to keep building on top of it, despite every other title surpassing it now - in terms of performance, quality and complexity.

Really jarring, after playing any other open-world game, to run through bushes and trees that have massive flailing 2D branches/leaves as part of the same sprite. On the Xbox One X. It just looks crap.

I love a good RPG, and even though Fallout 4 took all real character/story development out of the game (by making all of your dialogue responses result in the same end-result anyway), there isn't really another studio making similar games, is there? Other than traditional top-down stuff like Divinity Original Sin (which I love, but I'd prefer it if it had a modern FPS-style viewpoint at least).

I hope that, by the time the next Elder Scrolls comes out (which I've read will be a next-gen console game), they've ripped up this engine and started on something new - but they seem determined (almost out of spite) not to move on.

Eurogamer very rarely give avoids - but richly deserved, in my opinion. Can't disagree with a word. Boring, broken and (with Red Dead released within the same time-frame) an example of a game forever stuck in the past.

Given Bethesda's own tweets asking people to bear with them, they've known all this for a long time, too.

Eurogamer Review: Fallout 76, a Bizarre, Boring and Broken Mess

It’s farcical really how they keep making games with that same ol engine....

It looks like hot garbage I wouldn’t waste my dollar

First Bioware, now Bethesda. Both used to be two of my favorite devs, but as fan of single player games they can no longer be counted on.

Skyrim for me was the first game that showed Bethesda falling behind. Despite it's gorgeous world, the first person combat was so poor (and IMO the whole game was let down by it being in first person) that I couldn't get into it. And they've only gotten worse since.

Tried this a while ago via Xbox gamepass. To me all Fallout games are so outdated that they are unplayable.
I didn't try to play with any mods, coz Bethesda was cuntish enough to put only basic version of the game on gamepass and in order to install any mods I needed to have super duper edition (that was Fallout 4).
But I wasn't going to pay money for something that potentially could turn out to be shite anyways.
Fallout 76 looked and felt terrible.
I can play Skyrim any day and it feels fine, but somehow Fallout series is just another level of outdated clunkyness.

Tried this a while ago via Xbox gamepass. To me all Fallout games are so outdated that they are unplayable.
I didn't try to play with any mods, coz Bethesda was cuntish enough to put only basic version of the game on gamepass and in order to install any mods I needed to have super duper edition (that was Fallout 4).
But I wasn't going to pay money for something that potentially could turn out to be shite anyways.
Fallout 76 looked and felt terrible.
I can play Skyrim any day and it feels fine, but somehow Fallout series is just another level of outdated clunkyness.
Fallout New Vegas is by far the best of the series because it was developed by Obsidian. Fallout 3 was decent and Fallout 4 okayish with mods, more like a sandbox game. Don't expect anything decent in the future too by Bethesda unless they hire other dev studios like Larian or Obsidian to work on sequels.

Fallout New Vegas is by far the best of the series because it was developed by Obsidian. Fallout 3 was decent and Fallout 4 okayish with mods, more like a sandbox game. Don't expect anything decent in the future too by Bethesda unless they hire other dev studios like Larian or Obsidian to work on sequels.

After watching the new show (excellent BTW!) my wife bought New Vegas and FO3 GOTY edition for 9 EUR to play again :)

Back
Top Bottom