Far Cry 5 and New Dawn [PC, PS4, XOne]

Isslander

Gordon's alive!
3 August 2003
Iceland
Liverpool
Looking to get this to play co-op with a mate of mine. Haven't played a Far Cry before and probably wouldn't give it a second glance if it weren't for the ability to play the missions with someone else.

Reading the comments to this video (and many others), people seem pretty down on this game already. Maybe fatigue from playing the previous games? I admit that this particular mission is maybe not the best, with an annoyingly slow person to follow (why not use the Witcher 3 method of always matching the player speed?) but otherwise this seems alright.

Will be playing it through with my wife :)

Unlocked now via Aussie VPN:

UpitUFc.jpg

Uplay version.

Eurogamer's review pulled it to pieces - although people are laughing about it on their Facebook page (saying that the guy doesn't appear interested in playing it as a game, more like a documentary).

Still, I'm cautious now. Was looking forward to it.

Yeah I skimmed the Eurogamer review, he seemed far more interested in making it about social commentary than reviewing a "videogame", no time for people like that personally. It's a Far Cry game, if you take it seriously you're missing the point.

This along with Far Cry 3 are the best Far Cry gameplay wise. Story wise, it's pretty interesting too.

Ubi (or the game developers) were talking the game to much up as social commentary when it was revealed at E3. They seem to have shifted from that to dumb fun, which is hardly a problem except for those really hoping for the former.

Only one night of game time and already I have seen some hilarious stuff. A guy on an ATV, followed by a horned bull, followed by a truck with hostages.
Me setting a woman free on a farm, she is trying to tell me something but gets interrupted by a homicidal turkey. It took some doing to kill that animal.

This game is quite hard at times. Every time I go on a mission there is about a 100% chance of some other conflict spilling into it on the way.

Last edited:
Enjoying this at the minute, I enjoy the game although endure the silly stuff that goes on during some missions undertaken.

Still early doors though, but have got rid of John Seed so far.

They do like to throw some stuff in, like giving the game an ending right at the start, IT references with the balloon, sci-fi.

FD

Finally finished this the other day with my friend.
Immense fun with a partner along for the ride, very flawed though, the forced story missions where you couldn't escape capture no matter what were usually terrible (the time levels from Jacob were a nightmare) and those bad guys are generally the most boring people of all time, I was skipping every cut scene from about half way in. That ending is something, though.

Got New Dawn 50% off and will be tagging along with my mate for that as well. I was hyped to see
that Grace made it since 5 but it broke my heart when I met her. Was hoping I would get to play alongside here for this as well.

Far Cry New Dawn is not bad, really, but it depends.
+fantastic with a friend
+story missions when you want them, instead of them being forced upon you as in 5
+great weapons and gameplay in general
+companions upgrade as they get kills
+expeditions and Outposts have a new scaling system for repeated plays, which works

+/- Not the same random mayhem as in 5
+/- Hope you like looting and collecting things

-can only have one companion so no AI mate/animal on Co op
The AI companions with guns or arrows are fairly useless, and no Grace this time
-way shorter story and smaller map
-initial weapons are garbage and the upgrade system won't be to everyone's liking
-story is still bad and no payoff for the only interesting thread in there
-a bit of a downgrade in aesthetics, also this version of the post apocalypse won't be for everyone

So in general, if you have a mate to play it with, getting in for about half price is worth it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom