Favorite live musical performances

Dermot

Banned
13 August 2002
New York
Arsenal
Don't know if there's a thread but wanted one where we can post videos etc of live musical performances you consider to be legendary.

I'm Irish, not being biased or anything but I think Irish music is kickass, I didn't really appreciate it fully growing up but now I love it. Some of my favorites of course are Christy Moore, Shane Mc Gowan and of course the great voice that was Luke Kelly. Here's a few of my faves, would love to see some of yours and a description on why you like it would be cool!

Shane Mc Gowan and Christy Moore - A Pair of Brown Eyes

YouTube - Christy Moore and Shane Mcgowan---A pair of brown eyes

Shane McGowan is fucking terrific, seeing him as a pure musician so chiled, its him in his world, and his voice is so distinctive, its like an instrument

Luke Kelly and the Dubliners (In England!) - Black Velvet Band

YouTube - Luke Kelly Black Velvet Band

This is Luke Kelly in his prime, not the best of songs but you can hear how powerful and clear his voice is, and how effortless he makes it.(Christy Moore makes a little guest appearance in the audience around the 2:26 mark I think and he looks like he's after sinking about 40 pints of Guinness and a few half ones)

Luke Kelly's last perfomance ever - The Night Visiting Song

YouTube - Luke Kelly The Night Visiting Song

This make me cry every single time I hear it, this was about a week before he died, he was in shocking health and the whole band knew he was fucked; you can see Ronnie Drew the guy on the guitar to his right willing him through the song. He still sounds fucking amazing, and a beautiful song. Couldn't be more apt. God bless you Luke.

Planxty - The Blacksmith

YouTube - Planxty on late late show

Great performance, cool instruments. An Irish trad folk band kinda, Andy Irvines voice is again all his own, love these instruments, I think they are mandolines but not sure. Love this song. Christy Moore (a young one) is on piano and comes in with a THUMPING bodhran at the end that sends shivers down my spine.

Christy Moore - Missing You

YouTube - Missing You - Christy Moore

This is about an Irishman feeling a bit homesick in London but I listen to it if I ever feel homesick as I've lived in NYC for 10 years without ever going back to Ireland. Not his best performance of this song but I love it just for the words and the emotion he puts into it every time, not fond of the electric guitar, he's better when its just him and his guitar.

The Pogues with The Dubliners - The Irish Rover

YouTube - The Pogues With The Dubliners

Shane Mc Gowan is a fucking legend, he's pissed out of his brains in this, I think that's vodka and a cigarette I see in his hand too, legend. I met him once at a bar in NY lying on the floor with a pint of Vodka resting on his chest.

U2 - Streets live at Slane Castle, Ireland

YouTube - U2 Where The Streets Have No Name Live At Slane Castle

Bonos voice is absolutely amazing....best concert I've ever been to, period.

Dermot, about Shane Mc Gowan...
I think he has all the potential to be fantastic, but 90% of the time he's pisspoor.
I was a big fan of the Pogues and saw them at least 6 times. Every single time Mc Gowan was totally pissed and a few times stoned out of his head too...
When i lived in Gent i lived above a pub (never do that) that was within walking distance of concert hall "Vooruit". This pub served delicious food and all the groups came eating there...my friend was a big music fan and also a Pogues fan...but he had a veto against Mc Gowan...after two times he refused to serve Mc Gowan...and i know the other Pogues members (who also liked a drink or two, three, four, five, six...)were embarassed by Mc Gowan and had enough of him...
I once saw a book about him, written by his girlfriend which is a university professor...i still think it's a shame i didn't buy that book, because i saw it only was...the book was about coping with Mc Gowan's drinking and heroïn habit...but also about his brilliancy...

What a waste of talent...

I saw the Killers live at Sheffield arena in 07, and I must say that was amazing. The atmosphere, the singing, the effects.. just brilliant. And also, it was my BIRTHDAY when I saw them, plus we managed to squeeze to the front, perfection!

YouTube - The KILLERS Live sheffield TONIGHT!

Not my vid by the way. I do have one on YT somewhere, can't bloody find it though.

Back
Top Bottom